• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF/JF: Battlefield 4 PS4 vs XB1 videos/screens (900p PS4, 720p XB1)

BladeSinner

Neo Member
Xbox one
iEEy91KRiUVAa.jpg

Ps4
irbnzErt58BOG.png

From the ign vid . The aliasing is due to the sharpening filter on x1 not a blurring filter on ps4. In fact ps4 looks more cinematic and x1 looks more cartoony

If you look at the dirt road ahead in this pic comparison, the XO version actually has a tremendous amount of added detail...

In the end we could argue on an on about this. What it comes down to ultimately is choice.

I personally think that the PS4 version looks best to my eyes, but the XO version looks far from crap...they both look excellent...I am actually surprised at how good XO version looks, I expected it to be night/day with PS4, but I simply cant say it is...really just different shades of gray.

Again, thats my opinion, and I am sure others will have their own opinion on the matter.

What matters is that you are happy with what you buy/use. If that is the case, dont let anyone tell you that you shouldn't be happy, and having fun playing games :)

velociraptor

From what I can see the Jackfrags PS4 videos look quite a bit better than the beta did on my OC'ed GTX 570, I wish there was an FPS counter somewhere on the screen though
Yes the PS4 MP footage looks better than what I saw on my PC. SP looks great though. It truly looks 'next-gen'. Of course the IQ isn't as good as the PC version but the PC version runs worse on my rig. I may buy BF4 for the PS4 for that reason..

derFeef

Not really, but it does look damn good. I don't know why so many think these consoles are pieces of shit lol. Look at the visuals of the rest of the games coming to them, they look phenomenal. We're just seeing the tip of the iceberg.

Love your optimism, I am with you :)

Where is this from? PS4 version clearly looks superior here.

However, images in OP show the XO version are sharper.
I made it [nerdpride] from some images a fellow gaffer posted, where he applied an "Xbox One filter" to the PS4 image.

Neither the original images nor the gif were made to show "which looks better" but rather this is what the PS4 version looks like when it's colours and sharpness are also fucked (which apparently a lot of people prefer and something you can easily achieve with your television settings.)

Raist

Banned
So is this the only sub 1080p game on PS4? (besides Order 1886, but don't get me started on that discussion again please)

If so, I can live with that as they are doing large maps, 64 players, land/air/sea vehicle warfare, destruction, 60fps (with dips to low 40's but still much smoother than 30fps)

Deep Down is 720p as far as we know for now.

andycapps

You mean DICE?

Anyway these comparison shots aren't good. Digital Foundry admitted to messing them up. http://n4g.com/news/1382809/digital-foundry-admits-to-botching-battlefield-4-ps4-xb1-video-capature

It's updated on the first page of this very thread.

Sorry, just a dumb joke that some Killzone fans used to hurl at Guerrilla over things in their games, and then it bled over into blaming them for other developers' failures.

That's good to hear about the capture being messed up, I could see that being a problem. Will probably take a while for the outlets to get their capture devices and settings ready for the new consoles. Their comments definitely didn't jive with the pictures I saw, so makes sense that they didn't get everything captured correctly. I can only watch the videos thus far on my iPhone at work, and both versions look the same on a screen that size.

Hanmik

I thought the general feeling about Battlefield games was that Singleplayer is just filler stuff and Multiplayer is where the games shine and are fun..?

if that is a how people view the BF games, then why would anyone prefer the Xbox One version over the PS4 version when it comes to graphics..? The IGN video makes Xbox One MP look really underpowered..

Not really, but it does look damn good. I don't know why so many think these consoles are pieces of shit lol. Look at the visuals of the rest of the games coming to them, they look phenomenal. We're just seeing the tip of the iceberg.

These are exactly my sentiments. I don't what the heck is going on in people's minds to make them say the next gen console footage looks like crap. It looks amazing! So smooth with awesome muzzle flashes and bits and pieces of destruction that doesn't look glitchy. I feel like people are comparing next gen multi to PC 4k to 1080p downsampled single player in the back of their minds and then come out and say that the consoles suck.

Phreaker

I have a PS4 pre ordered, launch edition, on amazon.

Every single one of the pics in the OP, I preferred the XO version as I thought the images were sharper and the colors were richer. I am not reading the whole thread and I know there's some controversy regarding how DF did their work, can someone please quickly summarize what the controversy is?

I too was shocked that I preferred every XO screen to the PS4. I was prepared for the opposite.

TheZink

I thought the general feeling about Battlefield games was that Singleplayer is just filler stuff and Multiplayer is where the games shine and are fun..?

if that is a how people view the BF games, then why would anyone prefer the Xbox One version over the PS4 version when it comes to graphics..? The IGN video makes Xbox One MP look really underpowered..

Maybe its my computer but I couldnt tell much of a difference in the Multiplayer video. Any pics of the two?

Copenap

This is one intense launch. I think it's going to be a really bloody console war this gen. The Ten Years War, if you will.
I expect it to get better after the first year. All "hardcore" fans will already have made their decision and for the rest both systems will have differentiated themselves a bit more so it will be less emotional when someone picks one over the other.

iceatcs

PS4 looks little softer, maybe post-AA. But I can't get over how badly the sharpening halos are everywhere on all the xbox videos. It is a bit like I'm on LSD high.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Why is it DICE that looks like a joke and not the consoles?

Neither DICE, nor the consoles look like a joke actually. If I could run games looking like that on a 400€ PC, I'd be a happy camper.

KKRT00

Then you're full of shit.

First frame drop, PS4 starts behind because there's an explosion PS4 and none on X1, as soon as theres an explosions on the X1 too it falls immediately behind and it stays like while the rubble/smoke is present, PS4 mainlining 60. These aren't brief moments either.

Second, start of building colapse, PS4 behind, no doubt about it, can't really understand why either.

Third, the roof tops, X1 falling behind several times for periods of 5 seconds or so.

4th, cutscene, both drop, X1 drops more every time for long periods.

5th, boat gameplay, same as above although the gap isn't as big (although it gets bigger on character closups)

6th, tank, again more drops for X1, there's only 1 for PS4.
I'm full of shit?
Up to 3:30, so boat cutscene, there are 6 drops, with 3 of them being by 4fps and two by 2fps.
How is this consistent with a shot that shows over 14fps difference? When for over minutes You have only 6 seconds of drops top and for the rest of the time game is locked in 60fps?

And in boat scene, the difference is 2-4fps still, mostly 2fps. There was no 60fps multiplatform game on this generation that was so consistent in terms of framerate in both platform and to reach its final frame target.
Without fps meter You wouldnt be able to tell the difference in fps in both version.

Thats outstanding parity in terms of framerate, anyone who is denying it or even nitpicking it, is full of shit.

harSon

Banned
The Playstation 4 version clearly looks better. It's not as big a difference as these last two days had led me to believe though, assuming that the footage is somewhat indicative of reality. Having said that, it's the type of difference that requires side by side comparison to truly notice, which leads me to believe that it's impact will be lost on those who aren't as dedicated to their craft as us. As the generation unfolds a little bit, and I eventually become a multiconsole owner, these comparisons will definitely hold weight.

My biggest take away from these side by sides is that the game pales in comparison to each console's first party offerings, both in terms of graphics as well as optimization. That's understandable of course, but it's still painfully obvious.

KORNdoggy

I expect it to get better after the first year. All "hardcore" fans will already have made their decision and for the rest both systems will have differentiated themselves a bit more so it will be less emotional when someone picks one over the other.

not to mention once the pattern starts to form that one is superior to the other, these comparisons will becomes less relevant. it'll be a case of xbox owners expecting the lesser version, and PS4 owners expecting the superior version...just like current gen but reversed.

ElRenoRaven

If you look at the dirt road ahead in this pic comparison, the XO version actually has a tremendous amount of added detail...

In the end we could argue on an on about this. What it comes down to ultimately is choice.

I personally think that the PS4 version looks best to my eyes, but the XO version looks far from crap...they both look excellent...I am actually surprised at how good XO version looks, I expected it to be night/day with PS4, but I simply cant say it is...really just different shades of gray.

Again, thats my opinion, and I am sure others will have their own opinion on the matter.

What matters is that you are happy with what you buy/use. If that is the case, dont let anyone tell you that you shouldn't be happy, and having fun playing games :)

I have to agree. I can't stand most of the shit MS has done but honestly both look damn good to me. I honestly think that most people aren't going to really notice and give a shit about which one has 10 more FPS for a second or two. I don't think they're going to count pixels. I really do think people are thinking that some very minor details are going to make a huge difference to the general public when they won't. That said since I have no interest in the Xbone and am getting the PS4 I'm buying that version.

Skeff

Why is it DICE that looks like a joke and not the consoles?

I think it's because other games are doing 1080p on PS4, but this doesn't make DICE ook like a joke BF4 in 900p and 720p are both impressive, when we see CoD:Ghosts, people will realize that DICE have done a good job here.

Unfortunately BF4 will be compared to shadowfall which looks stunning at 1080p/60 for multiplayer, However BF4 is on a lot more platforms and so you would expect them to get less out of each piece of hardware.

Imtey

Banned
Both versions look amazing...

Don't get why this means so much to GAF tbh, 90% of gamers who buy an xb1 won't care when they are playing about these little differences, yet we have a 400k views thread about it. SMH

I finished re4 on PS3 the other day, and had just as much fun as the wii version when I played it last year. The resolution only mattered when I stopped and actually stared at the environments, but when I'm POP POP POP WATCHIN NIGGAZ DROP these ganados with the TMP i dont give a shit about resolution. I don't get you guys, bubt I'm thankful I don't have high standards bout this stuff i guess

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Both versions look amazing...

Don't get why this means so much to GAF tbh, 90% of gamers who buy an xb1 won't care when they are playing about these little differences, yet we have a 400k views thread about it. SMH

I finished re4 on PS3 the other day, and had just as much fun as the wii version when I played it last year. The resolution only mattered when I stopped and actually stared at the environments, but when I'm POP POP POP WATCHIN NIGGAZ DROP these ganados with the TMP i dont give a shit about resolution. I don't get you guys, bubt I'm thankful I don't have high standards bout this stuff i guess

You'll do well here.

JB1981

The Playstation 4 version clearly looks better. It's not as big a difference as these last two days had led me to believe though, assuming that the footage is somewhat indicative of reality. Having said that, it's the type of difference that requires side by side comparison to truly notice, which leads me to believe that it's impact will be lost on those who aren't as dedicated to their craft as us. As the generation unfolds a little bit, and I eventually become a multiconsole owner, these comparisons will definitely hold weight.

My biggest take away from these side by sides is that the game pales in comparison to each console's first party offerings, both in terms of graphics as well as optimization. That's understandable of course, but it's still painfully obvious.

Agree 100%. Good post.

orioto

Good Art™
posted yet

i3uk6taw6tdxd8fonn.gif

Lots of bullshit and mess to come in the next comparison war lol..
So now suddenly the PS4 is super sharp and the xbo version is blurry.. How did it turn blurry .. ??

I mean i'd be glad if the PS4 version looked clearly better in every comparison but this will quicly get boring if you can show anything and its contrary depending on who does it..

I'm all for a fair fight! This is pretty ridiculous how fanboys from on camp or the other are just taking whatever comes to make them happy without asking any questions. "Ho yeah that's more like it i like that comparison, must be the truth" lol..

These are exactly my sentiments. I don't what the heck is going on in people's minds to make them say the next gen console footage looks like crap. It looks amazing! So smooth with awesome muzzle flashes and bits and pieces of destruction that doesn't look glitchy. I feel like people are comparing next gen multi to PC 4k to 1080p downsampled single player in the back of their minds and then come out and say that the consoles suck.

one thing you are forgetting, you are watching compressed small window youtube videos. Things change alot when you go from a 20-22 inch monitor to a 40-50 inch HDTV.

I think that is why when you actually hear impressions from people who have played both PS4 and X1 versions, they say the difference is big and noticeable. On these videos though, everything is so compressed and condensed and doctored ( so it seems ), it is impossible to get a real world view of what you yourself will see when you take the game home.

Anyone that's used ElGato hardware/software for capture knows that you can't really fuck it up I mean it's a plug and play setup and it captures exactly what you see on screen.
These changes were clearly made afterwards in Sony Studio or a similar app. DF should get their press pass pulled for tampering with the footage. They just destroyed their credibility with the gaming community over a game that we'll all probably forget about in a year or so. smh

Top Bottom