• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Performance Analysis: Diablo 3 at 1080p on Xbox One

ukpanik

Banned
"And Microsoft was just like, 'This is unacceptable. You need to figure out a way to get a better resolution"

But Microsoft keep saying 1080p is pointless and nobody can tell the difference from 720p.

Sickbones

Banned
Who said that? How do I gain membership to this "Xbone fans" club?

Watched vids and could not tell a difference which is great news for owners of either console

I could tell. It may not affect some people used to 30fps gaming. But for someone who has played at the minimum 60fps (and now 120fps) for the past 15 years, I can easily tell.

I own all three consoles (Wii U, PS4, Xbone) so I at least have choices when I buy a multi-plat game. The choice is clear once again though, on which one is the better version.

Does anyone know if the particle effects and texturing is the same on both consoles as well?

Sickbones

Banned
"And Microsoft was just like, 'This is unacceptable. You need to figure out a way to get a better resolution"

But Microsoft keep saying 1080p is pointless and nobody can tell the difference from 720p.

And that's what blind sheep also say as well when they don't get the 1080p experience -- this is seen on both sides of the camp.

Most posts on this thread contradict what was wanted at launch of the new consoles. Since when is 1080p/low50fps at extreme moments so bad?!?! Gimme a break.

Colbert

Banned
I am playing the game now over 4 hours on my Xbox One and I have no idea what Eurogamer is talking about. I see the game running smooth while playing 4-player-coop and much enemied as well many effect on the screen. In other words if there are frame dips they are not noticable to me.

BTW It is strange to me why they did not make a PS4 vs. Xbox One as they did before ...

jayu26

If MS is going to keep sending their guys to all these devs hoping to get parity, then they should give them a cool name...like "Fire Team" (opposite of Sony's ICE team) or something...

T.O.P

Banned
Here comes Xbone fans saying they don't notice the FPS drop, and that it gives them a more "cinematic" feel. It's like some people have never gamed at 60fps before, I'd laugh if they thought 120fps gaming was the same as 60fps and 30fps.

dafuq am i reading

Its a shit engine generally.
I wonder how is framerate in both version on lvl 70 bounties with clone based, hydra + frozen orb Wizard.
I could generally drop from 300 fps to 50 with my build.

Or minion based witch doctors raining frogs on everything. Love my XB1 but I am glad I have D3 on PC haha

MS: 'This is unacceptable. You need to figure out a way to get a better resolution.'

MS: 'Framerate is more important than resolution'

Which is it MS?

I thought framerate is more important than resolution, Phil? Give me 900p mode for a constant 60.

Well, the quote was:

Phil Spencer said:
Reaching parity with our partners has been important. But in the end I don't want it to be about a number, because 1080p isn't some mythical, perfect resolution. Framerate to me is significantly more important to gameplay than resolution and the mix of those two which brings the right art style and freedom, whether it's on PlayStation or our platform.

So, occasional sub-60 judged to be better than permanent sub-1080 in this instance.
Of course both locked 60 + permanent 1080 would be preferable, but considering the reported gap in hardware between the two, this is relatively close performance between the two.

Korben

Banned

After a quick search: yes he did.

Then why MS push Blizzard devs to apply a "resolution boost" if it hurt the performance/framerate of the game ? Only the cryptic message of Phil can answer this.

It's almost as if he's a PR guy who says whatever's convenient at the time to please people.

That's not the song MSGAF intone everyday since he's in charge. But i guess they're as efficient in 180 than MS's PR. :)

Watching this video makes you wonder why the frame dips? It's hardly doing anything that looks remotely stressful to the console. My IMHO but this looked like an un-optimised game to me.

screenshot_97.jpg

There's a fair few games below 1080p on the XB1, so I think that in itself is stressful to the console.

viveks86

Ignoring the "this is unacceptable" response from MS, occasional drops to 50s isn't that bad. It's a compromise and an acceptable one for console gaming

0racle

Alright,

I watched that youtube video showing the XboxOne frame rate drops and this insanity has to end.

I cant believe this is the conversation of EVERY single game that comes out. Scrutinizing absolutely every single detail to the point every pixel needs to be analyzed. Stop.

Its to the point were its downright psychotic. If we didn't have a line graph (seriously...) or numbers represented at the top left corner NONE of us would be able to tell there was a "difference". No wonder the gaming industry is catabolizing itself when this is the "fan base" the developers are working for. This is embarrassing.

And Microsoft was just like, 'This is unacceptable. You need to figure out a way to get a better resolution
this quote is going to see so much use in the coming years:p

They've only tested the initial areas huh:p absolutely worthless article
wait till you see the performance at 10 fps bridge in act 3, or till you have 3 pet doctors in your rift spamming firebats (let alone if they have the skeleton clone helmet with 2 skeletons copying all your spellcasts)

gruenel

I am playing the game no over 4 hours on my Xbox One and I have no idea what Eurogamer is talking about. I see the game running smooth while playing 4-player-coop and much enemied as well many effect on the screen.

Well, the difference between 50 and 60 FPS definitely isn't that big to be immediately noticeable by everyone.

Orayn

Alright,

I watched that youtube video showing the XboxOne frame rate drops and this insanity has to end.

I cant believe this is the conversation of EVERY single game that comes out. Scrutinizing absolutely every single detail to the point every pixel needs to be analyzed. Stop.

Its to the point were its downright psychotic. If we didn't have a line graph (seriously...) or numbers represented at the top left corner NONE of us would be able to tell there was a "difference". No wonder the gaming industry is catabolizing itself when this is the "fan base" the developers are working for. This is embarrassing.

Digital Foundry is a series devoted to analyzing the nitty-gritty technical details of games. If you don't like that, don't read the articles or threads about them.

Like I said in the previous thread, they should give One owners the option to drop to 900p. In fact, all games over 720p should have variable resolution options if they aren't locked at 30/60.

this quote is going to see so much use in the coming years:p

and doubtless it'll get used without the second half of what they said, which was: "So we worked with them directly, they gave us a code update to let us get to full 1080p."

Good guy Microsoft pushing and helping devs to achieve better graphical results? :p

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Alright,

golfclap

Ape

Banned
Did you really notice when the framerate in TLOU would drop?

I think that based on the responses in here Naughty Dog should have probably offered the 60fps experience at 900p due to the frame drops in tlou on PS4. That would have guaranteed a silky smooth 60fps on the console.

icespide

Banned
Alright,

this is a digital foundry thread. we're going to discuss all the technical details no matter how minor. its kind of the point of the thread

Most posts on this thread contradict what was wanted at launch of the new consoles. Since when is 1080p/low50fps at extreme moments so bad?!?! Gimme a break.

I think people are sensitive to it in this case because of the type of game Diablo is, in which frame rate is key.

But if you watch the video, the drops are so infrequent that the 1080p is worth it. It's really not bad at all.

klaus

Welcome to goalpost moving, the thread :)

Seriously, it's almost entertaining reading all those drama queen comments. And I bet we would have the same whining from many posters if they kept the resolution at 900p ("Such a bad choice, won't somebody please think of the children!").

pixlexic

Banned
If I would have gone with the Xbone version I would like to have a 900p option.

Actually I think all console games should have resolution version performance options.

I think people are sensitive to it in this case because of the type of game Diablo is, in which frame rate is key.

But if you watch the video, the drops are so infrequent that the 1080p is worth it. It's really not bad at all.

Welcome to goalpost moving, the thread :)

Seriously, it's almost entertaining reading all those drama queen comments. And I bet we would have the same whining from many posters if they kept the resolution at 900p ("Such a bad choice, won't somebody please think of the children!").

I think that based on the responses in here Naughty Dog should have probably offered the 60fps experience at 900p due to the frame drops in tlou on PS4. That would have guaranteed a silky smooth 60fps on the console.

This is basically what I gather.

Orayn

Your right.

But I assume you see my point.

Your point is that you don't care about the technical details, and that's fine. If discussion of that stuff bothers you, I already provided you with a reasonable solution. If such discussion completely hijacks a thread not devoted to that topic, you can PM a mod about it.

Proxy

Alright,

It's Digital Foundry's job to do these analyses. This thread is for discussion about D3's performance and about DF's article. If you don't like technical discussions I would advise you to stay out of these threads.

amardilo

Doesn't seem too bad to me. Looks like they did pretty well to get it that close.

Sure a solid locked 60 frames per second is preferred over 1080p, but the DF video shows it maintains 60 fps for a lot of the time with some dips to around 56-58 frames and it dropped to 52 for a very short period when there were loads of enemies on screen.

I don't think it will ruin too many peoples experience but I do hope they can patch it some more to help reduce the issue.

Kayant

Drops are not bad and acceptable personally i won't be that much of an issue but it's funny looking back at all the PR statements about "play the game not the res" and Phil recent comment.

Alright,

Digital Foundry - In-depth technical analysis of games and gaming hardware at Eurogamer.net

Digital Foundry is a series devoted to analyzing the nitty-gritty technical details of games. If you don't like that, don't read the articles or threads about them.

this is a digital foundry thread. we're going to discuss all the technical details no matter how minor. its kind of the point of the thread

This thread has had very little technical discussion, and a whole lot of "lol Xbone" discussion. Unfortunately that's what these threads have become.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
image.php

Uh right, i forgot Bungie was put in the same situation by MS, aka "Here's our magic, transform this in 1080p". I hope the collateral damages will not be too serious.

If you have both platforms and are afraid of performance, get the PS4 version. It's a given even more given the sizable HW gap.

This thread has had very little technical discussion, and a whole lot of "lol Xbone" discussion. Unfortunately that's what these threads have become.
While I agree, in part, those 2 posts are not the one's I would have used to state your case.

In the end, I'm sure anyone who plays this on XB will be just fine.

diablo is one of the few games in which fps barely matters tbh
hold down right mouse button while moving slowly and doing skinnerbox things for hundreds of hours.

60 fps is always way better than 30 but diablo 3 is one of the only games I played with vsync on because a: it tears like shit because their engine sucks and b : the controls barely matter

Phil Spencer just said framerate was more important than Resolution. Diablo Was locked at 60fps when it was 900p. He completely contradicted himself, I take him less serious then I already did.

Respawn

Banned
Alright,

This again. Not that you're wrong but dude your in an analysis thread on a gaming forum. Also, unless you just came through a wormhole it has been this way for quite some time and worst during the PS3/360 days.

icespide

Banned

well that's going to happen more often when the Xbox One versions are usually technically inferior. unfortunately

the same shit would happen if the PS4 version was worse

It's Digital Foundry's job to do these analyses. This thread is for discussion about D3's performance and about DF's article. If you don't like technical discussions I would advise you to stay out of these threads.

I don't see an awful lot of technical discussion and analysis in this thread, just a lot of console wars.

So let's try and get it on topic:

What are people's thoughts on:

1) The relatively close performance of the game between the two consoles, despite the alleged 50% power gap? Have they gimped the PS4 version? Should they have added more graphical effects? Should they have dialled back effects on the xbox one to guarantee that 60fps and what effects do we think are the "expensive" ones in a game like D3?

2) Why do we think that the framerate dips occur in some relatively quiet moments? Is it loading ahead of textures, perhaps? Any other factor?

0racle

Maybe my post was a bit too haste, Im a huge fan at looking at the differences when stuff is quite jarring and warrants a comparison. But I feel time is wasted and just adds fuel to the exaggerated hardware debate when the two titles are essentially identical.

besada

Banned
If you're here to have a reasonable and serious discussion about framerates and p and technical junk, that's great. If you're here to troll and shit up the thread, now would be the time to scamper off.

Top Bottom