• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Performance Analysis: Diablo 3 at 1080p on Xbox One

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
They choose a entertainment box and Sony got lucky with ram price dropping which allowed them to double (more?) Their original specs

Nothing will change the fact that the xb1 is weaker hardware.If 900p is the sweet spot than they stick to it imo

Right that's my point, how did MS NOT see this coming when seemingly everyone else on the interwebs did?!?!?!

It's not like resolutiongate is new to this gen................

Damian.

Banned
Yea sure if it's dropping down into the 20's or teens but 50's really?!?!?!?

To me anything that's not native 720p\1080p is just a giant blurfest , hell might as well give me 720p with more AA\AF and special effects ect.

Yes drops to the 50's is very noticeable and jarring. Also 900p has an advantage over 720p, both are non native on most of todays screens, and 900p resolves detail a bit better.

RoKKeR

People should watch this video before jumping on the hate train
The frame rate drops are so infrequent

Yeah just watched the video... not as bad as I had thought but still the trend makes me a bit nervous. I'd take 900p almost every day of the week if it means solid framerate and 1080p would lead to significant drops.

theDeeDubs

Eh if some of you guys actually watch the video or actually play the XB1 version I think you'll find the framerate quite nice. (hint it rarely drops below 60)

Sickbones

Banned
Here comes Xbone fans saying they don't notice the FPS drop, and that it gives them a more "cinematic" feel. It's like some people have never gamed at 60fps before, I'd laugh if they thought 120fps gaming was the same as 60fps and 30fps.

Would be cool if DF can test FPS with max level characters where elites have 4 abilities and your character is spamming things all over the screen rather than a lvl 14 with nothing going on the screen.

RobRSG

Man... This game is not even the most taxing. My 2009 C2D E7500 + GTS450 runs it in 1080p at 60FPS (most of the time).

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Watching this video makes you wonder why the frame dips? It's hardly doing anything that looks remotely stressful to the console. My IMHO but this looked like an un-optimised game to me.

screenshot_97.jpg

Seanspeed

Banned
Yes drops to the 50's is very noticeable and jarring.
I really don't think drops to the 50's are that jarring. Its my personal opinion of course, but do realize that your statements are merely your opinion as well. At the very least, its quite a bit less jarring than a 30fps game dropping to low 20's.

On PC, I would lower settings to get to a solid 60fps, but I would not lower resolution to 900p. I feel its an entirely reasonable decision.

Green Yoshi

Reaching parity with our partners has been important. But in the end I don't want it to be about a number, because 1080p isn't some mythical, perfect resolution. Framerate to me is significantly more important to gameplay than resolution and the mix of those two which brings the right art style and freedom, whether it's on PlayStation or our platform.

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...encer-on-tomb-raider-and-ones-digital-future/

So Phil Spencer has nothing to say at Microsoft? ;-)

Dunlop

Here comes Xbone fans saying they don't notice the FPS drop, and that it gives them a more "cinematic" feel. It's like some people have never gamed at 60fps before, I'd laugh if they thought 120fps gaming was the same as 60fps and 30fps.
Who said that? How do I gain membership to this "Xbone fans" club?

Watched vids and could not tell a difference which is great news for owners of either console

theDeeDubs

Watching this video makes you wonder why the frame dips? It's hardly doing anything that looks remotely stressful to the console. My IMHO but this looked like an un-optimised game to me.

screenshot_97.jpg

Yeah, it's strange because more taxing parts from the video hold 60. At least it rarely drops that low (54ish).

Seik

Banned
Wasn't the framerate a priority for MS? IIRC Spencer said something like that recently.

And now they're boosting the resolution at the cost of framerate, the fuck? :lol

I'm going PS4.

Azlan

Looks like they made a good decision. I'd rather have the 1080p with sometimes drops to 55fps

Agreed. I honestly would never notice a 5fps change, but that is just me. The Xbox version is also a bit better for my circumstances since I believe you can do split screen online gameplay with only one xbox gold account instead of needing each player to ahve PS+.

Damian.

Banned
I really don't think drops to the 50's are that jarring. Its my personal opinion of course, but do realize that your statements are merely your opinion as well. At the very least, its quite a bit less jarring than a 30fps game dropping to low 20's.

On PC, I would lower settings to get to a solid 60fps, but I would not lower resolution to 900p. I feel its an entirely reasonable decision.

I would lower settings as well on my PC screen as well to stick to 1080p. 900p on a 1080p PC screen is a much bigger issue than 900p on a screen you are sitting 5-10 feet from. It was a terrible decision that had no valid and functional thought behind it. But that's par for the course for the XBone, bad decision stacked on bad decision.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
kind of shocked 1080p/60fps was to difficult to attain. is diablo 3 all the intensive graphically?

Fliesen

How is that post wrong? Diablo III isn't a particularly impressive game from a tech perspective, and I get plenty of random drops and stutters on my HD7870 and i5 2500k even when there aren't that many enemies onscreen.

Especially Rakkis Crossing in act 3 still has unresolved FPS issues that Blizzard just can't seem to fix

ontopic: honestly, if it only drops below 60 FPS in really demanding situations but is otherwise a solid 60, it was the right choice.
Not like Infamous, TLOU remastered, or any game on PS4 really doesn't EVER dip below 60 - which is exactly what's happening here.
An Action RPG is something so dynamic - you can literally kite 30 mobs into the same screen to force the framerate to drop while on the other hand be smooth sailing throughout an entire playthrough if you're lucky.

theDeeDubs

Wasn't the framerate a priority for MS? IIRC Spencer said something like that recently.

And now they're boosting the resolution at the cost of framerate, the fuck? :lol

I'm going PS4.

If you watch or play you'll notice that the 1080 bump caused rare drops to around 54ish. It's mostly 60. Seems like a good choice in this case. Some of you seem like this is causing big drops lol.

shanafan

I would lower settings as well on my PC screen as well to stick to 1080p. 900p on a 1080p PC screen is a much bigger issue than 900p on a screen you are sitting 5-10 feet from. It was a terrible decision that had no valid and functional thought behind it. But that's par for the course for the XBone, bad decision stacked on bad decision.

You have a pretty strong opinion on Xbox One. Are the consistent monthly updates to the Xbox One to further enhance and better the system another bad decision stacked on a bad decision?

Wereroku

Agreed. I honestly would never notice a 5fps change, but that is just me. The Xbox version is also a bit better for my circumstances since I believe you can do split screen online gameplay with only one xbox gold account instead of needing each player to ahve PS+.

I think only one person needs PS+ for the console to allow online multiplayer.

ps3ud0

Seems best to wait for the actual proper face-off as no doubt D3 gets much busier later on in the game

I still dont get why this generation DF really needs to do so many articles about a single game especially when it feels like their analysis itself isnt exactly up to scratch sometimes. Less quantity more quality...

ps3ud0 8)

Seanspeed

Banned
Again, you seem to not understand how people might have a different opinion than you. Following pretty much all the Digital Foundry threads since next-gen started, there are a vast number of people who are very big on the advantages of having a game render at 1080p. Occasionally dropping to the mid 50's is probably much preferable for these people than lowering resolution to 900p, which I would agree with myself.

Don't forget that we're talking about systems where 30fps is a standard framerate. Dropping from 60fps to 55fps is probably not going to be as jarring for them as it is for you.

You can disagree with it personally, but to say that it has no valid reasoning behind it is plain hyperbole.

Damian.

Banned
You have a pretty strong opinion on Xbox One. Are the consistent monthly updates to the Xbox One to further enhance and better the system another bad decision stacked on a bad decision?

MS scurrying to put band-aids on problems it let fester is a neutral decision stacked onto the mountain of bad decisions. That better?

morukutsu

screenshot_97.jpg

The game is using a lot of alpha effects, pixels must be evaluated multiple times. At 1080p, this quickly leads to fillrate problems, especially on Xbone considering the low number of ROPs. Only Blizzard knows the real cause though.

But I agree the game seems a bit unoptimized sometimes because of the weird framerate drops it has on PC.

Mononoke

Banned
Again, you seem to not understand how people might have a different opinion than you. Following pretty much all the Digital Foundry threads since next-gen started, there are a vast number of people who are very big on the advantages of having a game render at 1080p. Occasionally dropping to the mid 50's is probably much preferable for these people than lowering resolution to 900p.

Don't forget that we're talking about systems where 30fps is a standard resolution. Dropping from 60fps to 55fps is probably not going to be as jarring for them as it is for you.

You can disagree with it personally, but to say that it has no valid reasoning behind it is plain hyperbole.

That's a fair point. But then why are some of the people in this thread acting like all of NeoGAF wanted 1080p but now want 900p?

I personally prefer higher resolution in most cases. Drops to the low 50s usually aren't that noticable to me.

Whats strange though is Microsofts behaviour.
The other day framerate is king, now we hear that 900p would've been unacceptable and they push for 1080p at the cost of framerate.
I get that Microsoft tries hard to overcome the fact that the XboxOne is the weaker console and they try to make it look as the 10% freed up ressources formerly occupied by kinect would fix the issue and achieve parity between plattforms. But they just straight up build the weaker hardware and they won't be able to fix that anymore.
Just let the issue rest. Don't mention it. Don't make a fuzz about it. Don't talk about when the XboxOne version is worse than the Ps4 version. Don't talk about it when there is parity.
Microsoft can't win here.

KKRT00

kind of shocked 1080p/60fps was to difficult to attain. is diablo 3 all the intensive graphically?

Its a shit engine generally.
I wonder how is framerate in both version on lvl 70 bounties with clone based, hydra + frozen orb Wizard.
I could generally drop from 300 fps to 50 with my build.

Top Bottom