• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart State of Play Reaction and Analysis

51149821629_0698480d72_k.jpg

51148366467_f4dc822343_k.jpg

51149045706_38fe0457fa_k.jpg

51148366222_0ccee84dc8_k.jpg

51148366102_901f4a4fae_k.jpg

51149045196_1a07478963_k.jpg

51149270488_bb493801cc_k.jpg

51148365767_c20c8b874e_k.jpg

51149266383_bbf112e767_k.jpg

At which point am i supposed to be impressed from these pictures ? In which instance does this game surpases Half Life Alyx for example ? The fotorealism in that game ? How about Flight Sim ? Or how about:

sDqx3jz.jpg

3CMfLKr.jpeg

nqfKxoh.jpg

TWsAPmj.jpg

yUm98Fm.jpg

fZcPGaP.jpeg

UEO9L9C.jpg

4B8IsG5.jpeg

mqM5gQH.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr Moose

At which point am i supposed to be impressed from these pictures ? In which instance does this game surpases Half Life Alyx for example ? The fotorealism in that game ? How about Flight Sim ? Or how about:

sDqx3jz.jpg

3CMfLKr.jpeg

nqfKxoh.jpg

TWsAPmj.jpg

yUm98Fm.jpg

fZcPGaP.jpeg

UEO9L9C.jpg

4B8IsG5.jpeg

mqM5gQH.jpeg
How do you fly to take some of those pics? Got any videos?
Looks like shit on console. I just checked it to see what the new update was, and eh, did they downgrade it again? Shimmering bushes and blurriness :< I just want to get 50 kills with my Skippy.

harmny

Banned
Looks like shit on console. I just checked it to see what the new update was, and eh, did they downgrade it again? Shimmering bushes and blurriness :< I just want to get 50 kills with my Skippy.

yeah you should probably wait for the next gen version

Im not flying :) You can go on skywalks that are above the street level. You can go up a hill when you get out of the city and you can look at the landscape. Or you can install the double jump augmentation and use some ledges on buildings to reach higher places. The intersting thing is that its all textured and taken care of, even top of buildings you should have no bussiness ever reaching.

Like here. You just go to the skywalk and jump on top of the glass roof

YKF4Zsh.jpg

dr guildo

sDqx3jz.jpg

3CMfLKr.jpeg

nqfKxoh.jpg

TWsAPmj.jpg

yUm98Fm.jpg

fZcPGaP.jpeg

UEO9L9C.jpg

4B8IsG5.jpeg

mqM5gQH.jpeg
Doesn't look CGI, unlike Ratchet.
Sorry, but not impressed at all by empty and lifeless cities. Look so flat and too clean to be credible !

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Let's be honest. Two years ago, if we saw this photo and someone asked us to identify which is the movie and which is the game, more than 90% would have said the image on the right is from a video game; the left one is a still from the movie.

It's amazing how far we have come in such a short time with the PS5 -- when many of us thought that we are already deep into diminishing returns territory.
Agree.
Thank you for providing better R n C pics than that other poster did that compared it to CP2077.
Take into account that version of Cyberpunk isn't available on these consoles. Ratchet when compared to the console versions of Cyberpunk can be seen as better.
Also they could have at least used a better pic of Rift Apart. Its not hard to find.

When I see stuff like that I instantly think the person is being disingenuous as hell.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
Let's be honest. Two years ago, if we saw this photo and someone asked us to identify which is the movie and which is the game, more than 90% would have said the image on the right is from a video game; the left one is a still from the movie.

It's amazing how far we have come in such a short time with the PS5 -- when many of us thought that we are already deep into diminishing returns territory.

what are you talking about? some people here are delusional or blind. or trolling

dr guildo

Agree.

Thank you for providing better R n C pics than that other poster did that compared it to CP2077.

Also they could have at least used a better pic of Rift Apart. Its not hard to find.

When I see stuff like that I instantly think the person is being disingenuous as hell.
Yep,
he says he's not impressed, so why did he choose a screenshot so unrepresentative of the beauty of the game ?
Because he is impressed and lies to himself first, before lying to us.

Cyberpunk is a great looking game but only if you have a high end PC. On consoles it looks really poor. Ratchet is a beautiful game on the PS5 and it certainly looks much better than then Cyberpunk on the same platform. Maybe the PC version edges it out in some ways but not the game on consoles. In the end PC will always be ahead due to the rare power that it has. With that said it's amazing that we are even getting a game that looks as good as Ratchet on consoles. When the PS5 was seen as a broken underpowered system I wouldn't have believed that Ratchet was possible. So I'm very happy that games can look that good on the system.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Eh, but it would be such a waste of resources

Most of the time during gameplay you dont see Ratchet so close to the camera, so that's fine. It looks good enough.

This is the kind of thing that I'm fine with being exclusive to cutscenes.

Just like subsurface scattering during gameplay
Tbh, everyone is judging this game based on the cinematics. The fur in the cinematics isn't rendered the same on the player in gameplay. And yes, you are right, he takes up so little of the screen it's a moot point.

Last edited:

harmny

Banned
Cyberpunk city looks better on static photos, in movement... the city is dead, it's full of fake cars and brain dead low poly people.

i don't want to dissapoint you but r&c cares are fake too. they dissapear after they go around the corner and nobody is driving them. and the city is fake too. there are a couple of lines of buildings and that's it. i know that you think there are actually people living in that city with a day and night cycle that go from home to work and back and live a complex life and you can have a great and deep conversation with them but that's not actually the case. it's just a linear game with a great city looking backdrop

Thief1987

know that you think there are actually people living in that city with a day and night cycle that go from home to work and back and live a complex life and you can have a great and deep conversation with them but that's not actually the case
This is valid for cyberpunk too

These will probably be in when the game launches. I remember hearing the same thing with no footprints or foliage moving with Ghost a month out, and they were in when it launched.

Or if not, would be a weird oversight for them.

Cyberpunk has less density in the world's atmosphere.
Guarantee they will improve ratchet with patches ; remember the base ps4 version of ratchet remake got the new TAA through patches.

You can tell the one on the right has more polygons and is the movie, but it also looks more dated because of the textures.

LMJ

minus RT is Cyber77 in general doing much less than very old GTA5 .. on PS3 .. no, heh.

Dude play Crack in Time (PS3) and say that again...I don't know if this just stems from ignorance or blind fanboy bias...but Rift Apart looks awesome and the main draw (The rifts) were certainly not possible last gen...let alone on the PS3 lol

i don't want to dissapoint you but r&c cares are fake too. they dissapear after they go around the corner and nobody is driving them. and the city is fake too. there are a couple of lines of buildings and that's it. i know that you think there are actually people living in that city with a day and night cycle that go from home to work and back and live a complex life and you can have a great and deep conversation with them but that's not actually the case. it's just a linear game with a great city looking backdrop

Well duh, they are there to make the city feel full and it works...dollars to donuts the AI NPCs in Rift Apart aren't anything complicated either, but again they are there for ambience, not to be a full interactive city...That having been said that initial City Ratchet is in is WAY bigger if you pay attention...Grind rails leading somewhere, paths not taken and wide areas not remotely explored yet.

Also can we quit comparing 2077, that game got the shaft people

Ratchet is developed for the PS5 exclusively of course it looks amazing, and later games will look far better and optimized far better as well, CyberPunk was being released on the PC, and PS4 and Xbone, Pro and X, not to mention next gen eventually...

How great would the Witcher III have been if it had to be developed for the PS3/360 as well as PS4Xbone?

Simple truth is publishers got greedy with CP despite numerous staff wanting to focus on next gen and PC instead!

hroerekr

Doesn't look CGI, unlike Ratchet.
Sorry, but not impressed at all by empty and lifeless cities. Look so flat and too clean to be credible !

A lot of what is going on Ratchet's environment is non-interactive and non reachable background noise. Looks gorgeous, but gameplay wise you are just following linear corridors and mini-arenas with scripted events in-between.
An open-world where you can go anywhere and have multiple mechanics and systems running at the same time will use its resources differently.

dr guildo

Ratchet doesn't look CGI in gameplay. I never understand why people judge a game's graphics by it's cinematics when they have 0 control of the game loop. I saw this all last gen with every single PS exclusive. Even Horizon: FW was praised for it's cinematics without a single frame of actual gameplay.
Most of my shots were gameplay, tho...
You are mistaken CGI with Cinematic.
More CGI shots :
51151566033_725bbf8127_k.jpg

51151333016_b95b9967fe_k.jpg

51151564743_9001942e64_k.jpg

51152116969_82f9dc75cc_k.jpg

51151563903_f0987dc5b8_k.jpg

51152115259_42d12c95f7_k.jpg

51151329876_343c030de5_k.jpg

Last edited:

dr guildo

A lot of what is going on Ratchet's environment is non-interactive and non reachable background noise. Looks gorgeous, but gameplay wise you are just following linear corridors and mini-arenas with scripted events in-between.
An open-world where you can go anywhere and have multiple mechanics and systems running at the same time will use its resources differently.
As if datas streaming doesn't exist, nowadays there is no difference between open world's level of details and linear games, look at RDR2, look at HZD, look at DeathStranding...

LMJ

Look or watch again, there are giant open worlds where you can go all over I'm sure (they even stated this in the vid)

But more importantly, watch the intro again, there is a grind rail that leads somewhere, numerous paths going elsewhere, the bizarre is far larger than we thin and you can go on the roofs as well.

If you've ever played a R and C game before the levels are huge and often have branching and open paths...linear is not what I would call them, sans the first game, Deadlocked, All4One and QFB/ITN anyway

VFXVeteran

Banned
You jumped in the thread praising DF with the "unbiased" preload, and they said themselves in their analysis that the game looks "like a computer animated film i.e. CGI"... during gameplay.
I don't care what they say. No one has authority on how something looks. It clearly doesn't look like CG in gameplay. That's the most ridiculous statement I've heard on these boards.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Low poly people ??

look at that, totally random NPCs

Extremely expensive pixels make a game get closer to CG like this video. You won't begin to approach CG unless you start using a full on RT pipeline. If you zoomed in on any assets in gameplay in R&C, the look would break down. That's just facts. Overall presentation with many colors and excellent level design will only get you so far.

Last edited:

Paulxo87

What do you suppose goes thru phil's head when he watches the new ratchet footage. One could argue he does not give a fuck about the game culture wars and he just does what he does/collects his fat ass salary and moves on with his day. However if he's a man with any character/balls you know it hurts him deeply.
My ego would be in tatters personally. I could not sit there and just take cock slaps every other month to the face from sony like they do to him and his brand on a consistent basis

Thief1987

What do you suppose goes thru phil's head when he watches the new ratchet footage. One could argue he does not give a fuck about the game culture wars and he just does what he does/collects his fat ass salary and moves on with his day. However if he's a man with any character/balls you know it hurts him deeply.
My ego would be in tatters personally. I could not sit there and just take cock slaps every other month to the face from sony like they do to him and his brand on a consistent basis
He somehow survived lastgen, should be pretty used to that))

harmny

Banned

Phil's mind: hmm what do I need to do to get blind zealots like ps fanboys

I'm pretty sure Microsoft knows they have to show what 12TFs is capable of. At the very least they have to beat the best that a 10.2TFs system is capable of.

Last edited:
Top Bottom