• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DFC to Sony: REPENT or DIE

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=13257

For the past ten years Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) has been the king of the video game market. The first PlayStation (PSOne) and PlayStation 2 (PS2) platforms were THE platforms on which the leading third party publishers made the majority of their revenues. For third party publishers other game platforms had become of secondary consideration to the Sony driven gravy train. Even in 2006, the PS2 continues to sell the most units at retail.

DFC Intelligence has always said that as the dominant market leader, SCE was largely in control of its own fate. Microsoft and Nintendo had to hope Sony fumbled or significantly changed its strategy so that they could get an opportunity to capture some of that PS2 audience. Now it is clear Sony is handing its competitors a golden opportunity.

DFC Intelligence has just released a 600 page report with our latest forecast for the interactive entertainment industry. In this report we predict several different scenarios for the individual game systems. We emphasize that there is a great deal of uncertainty because much will depend on how individual players execute their strategies over the next several years. However, two things are clear: 1) the high price of the PlayStation 3 is going to slow overall industry growth, especially for software and 2) if Sony does not change its current strategy for the PS3 the system will probably end up in third place in installed base.

Consumers in much of Europe (and North America as well) simply aren't ready for that type of expenditure and success for Sony will require that 1) they can keep the PlayStation 2 business alive and slow consumer adoption of new systems and 2) they can make the price more affordable. However, as the chart below shows, even under the best case scenario the PlayStation 3 has a much lower installed base than the PlayStation 2. Under the worst case scenario the bottom falls out for Sony's market share.

DFCjuly06a.gif

So while Sony struggles with positioning issues Microsoft and Nintendo are free to try and build a solid base of actual video game players. The good news is that for both companies, under any scenario, DFC forecasts that the Microsoft Xbox 360 and Nintendo Wii will have a larger installed base than their respective predecessors. However, we think the company with the biggest opportunity is Nintendo. With a market leading price and a compelling mass market message the Wii has the opportunity to be the market share leader in all major regions.

The Xbox 360 also has an opportunity to be the overall market share leader, but we think the system will generally be stronger in North America than in Europe or Japan. In fact, even under the best case scenario for the Xbox 360 we predict the system will finish third in Japan while being the number one system worldwide.

Other potential issues that concern us with the Xbox 360 have been Microsoft's struggles to break out beyond the hard-core gamer and the significant losses that the company has been forced to take to build market share. Microsoft could become bogged down in efforts to reach out to the mass market via casual games, portable games and other areas that could distract from the overall Xbox 360 business.

DFCjuly06b.gif

On the other hand Nintendo has almost nowhere to go but up with the Wii. Since the 8-bit NES from the 1980s, Nintendo console hardware systems have sold less and less. Now is the time for Nintendo to turn that around. In the last generation, the casual mass market game audience by and large went with the PlayStation 2. The GameCube was stuck with the loyal Nintendo diehard base. Now with the Wii, Nintendo has the chance to keep its loyal base and expand into a much more mass market audience. By letting Sony and Microsoft split the hard-core teenage/twenty something video game marketplace, the Wii could end up number one in market share for the next generation.

Not surprisingly, under all our scenarios, market fragmentation is a big theme. For the past five years, the PlayStation 2 has been a steady platform that provided a solid worldwide base for software publishers. Sony's strategy is utterly dependent on keeping the PlayStation 2 around for as long as possible and hoping mass market consumers hold-off on upgrading. However slowing the future can be difficult. For a consumer there are all types of choices for playing games: portable games, online games, old console systems, new console systems and so on. The console system remains the largest segment of the overall market, but its importance is clearly declining. Over the next two years we will see which companies can weather the eventual decline by diversifying beyond the PlayStation business.

They don't recognize that everything is different. Wii and PS3/360 aren't going for the same userbase as each other. That means their analysis is skewed

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
Consumers in much of Europe (and North America as well) simply aren't ready for that type of expenditure and success for Sony will require that
what?

:lol :lol

Ps3 is at the same price of Ps2 at launch in europe

great analists

:lol

Amir0x

Banned
sounds pretty right. I had said for a long time that the only way Sony would lose next-gen is if they made an "N64 calibre" mistake. They did that by pricing PS3 at $600... and now, it's all 360 and Wii's game. Up and Up and capitalization on utter failure. Nobody plays videogames at this level for this amount of money, no matter what the system offers. Trojan horse failure, bloated HD media war, and no no promises delivered.

Also, Massive Attack, where is Sony PlayStation Meeting?

Dr_Cogent

Banned
I predict many more pages to come.

And for the most part, I agree on the whole. The price point of the PS3 is going to hurt it in it's "potential".

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
With a market leading price and a compelling mass market message the Wii has the opportunity to be the market share leader in all major regions.

No chance in hell.

EDIT: Oh yeah but Sony iz doomed, crab, massive damage, etcf.

Uh Comodino?

GB£299.99 (November 24, 2000, Launch Price)

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Il Comodino said:
what?

:lol :lol

Ps3 is at the same price of Ps2 at launch

great analists

Excuse me?

Are you certain of that? I honestly don't know what the PS2 original price was. I'm having a huge doubt that PS3 will be priced anwhere within it's predecessor's price anytime soon.

Elios83

olubode said:
Excuse me?

Are you certain of that? I honestly don't know what the PS2 original price was. I'm having a huge doubt that PS3 will be priced anwhere within it's predecessor's price anytime soon.

PS2 at launch in Europe = 450+€

Anyway what credibility has an analysis with Xbox360 at 6 million units in Japan :lol :lol :lol

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Elios83 said:
PS2 at launch in Europe = 450€

Anyway what credibility has an analysis with Xbox360 at 6 million units in Japan :lol :lol :lol
What was the MSRP? Was 450€ a markup price? If so, won't retailers sell PS3 in inflated bundles and high prices as well?

Kabouter

Il Comodino said:
yes it is

Ps2 was 1.000.000 Italian Lire = 516 euro

Yep was 1250 guilders here = 567 euro
So PS3 is actually 67 euro cheaper than PS2 was, and that's not counting inflation.
Or price of memory cards you HAD to get with PS2.

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
Elios83 said:
PS2 at launch in Europe = 450€

yes without Memory card, put one memory card with 45 euro in the basket :lol

Elios83

olubode said:
What was the MSRP? Was 450€ a markup price? If so, won't retailers sell PS3 in inflated bundles and high prices as well?

450+€ was the price of the console alone suggested by Sony.
Of course due to the shortages there were outrageous bundles with amazing games like Fantavision and Wild Wild Racing which costed over 600€:lol :lol

VALIS

TheKingsCrown said:
They don't recognize that everything is different. Wii and PS3/360 aren't going for the same userbase as each other. That means their analysis is skewed

You mean the userbase of human beings with money? Yeah, I think they're counting those. To hear some Nintendo fans tell it, you'd think a new race of human being is going to sprout up out of the ground on the Wii's launch day.

Hecubus

TheKingsCrown said:

I'm thinking they probably took that into account when collating their data. A think tank like DFC Intelligence does't skip something that obvious in 600 page report. I'm sure they either addressed it specifically or generally, but I'm betting they specifically addressed that issue probably in great detail.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Hecubus said:
I'm thinking they probably took that into account when collating their data. A think tank like DFC Intelligence does't skip something that obvious in 600 page report. I'm sure they either addressed it specifically or generally, but I'm betting they specifically addressed that issue probably in great detail.

Exactly. The armchair analysts on GAF and elsewhere are hilarious :lol

Elios83

GDJustin said:
Read the graph header, genius.

It's crazy nonetheless.

Their MS best case scenario in Japan = Jesus goes to Redmond
Their Sony worst case scenario = 600€/$ price forever

Both are really ridicolous options to be considered ina serious analysis.

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
Elios83 said:
It's crazy nonetheless.

Their MS best case scenario in Japan = Jesus goes to Redmond
Their Sony worst case scenario = 600€/$ price forever

Both are really ridicolous options to be considered ina serious analysis.

Meier

DFC are the group who was particularly bullish on the PSP previously, right? I think it was their report that gets brought up frequently where they expected it to outsell the DS 25 million to 20 million and then go up from there? For them to expect such a big drop-off from Sony speaks volumes.

X26

Banned
I think the Wii will be in 3rd place, while the 360 and PS3 will be neck and neck for the most part

The $600 pricepoint is beyond idiotic, and if they do badly this gen (compared to last gen) it would be well deserved

-Damien-

Banned
This article is as credible as this ........X360 = 6 million units in Japan by 2011 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Arsenal

Meier said:
DFC are the group who was particularly bullish on the PSP previously, right? I think it was their report that gets brought up frequently where they expected it to outsell the DS 25 million to 20 million and then go up from there? For them to expect such a big drop-off from Sony speaks volumes.

Why does it speak volumes that analyst's views vary wildly and are incosistent because in the end, their guess is as good as yours and mine?

-Damien-

Banned
GDJustin said:
Read the graph header, genius.

idiot consider this.

X360 averages 1500 a week ~ 6000 a month X 12 ~ 72,000 a year X 6 ~ 432,000!!!!!!!....What remotely possible best case scenario could X360 come up tp accumulate up to 6 million by 2011????????????

Aryuken

Banned
-Damien- said:
This article is as credible as this ........X360 = 6 million units in Japan by 2011 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

For batman your not that smart.

Zeed

Banned
-Damien- said:
Man if you really want to get that tag you can't just keep repeating what all the other lame SDF wannabes say. You have to come up with new and exciting material, crazy shit that no one else has thought of. Get to it solider!

-Damien- said:
idiot consider this.
Uh oh. You don't know what you just did, do you?

-Damien- said:
idiot consider this.

X360 averages 1500 a week ~ 6000 a month X 12 ~ 72,000 a year X 6 ~ 432,000!!!!!!!....What remotely possible best case scenario could X360 come up tp accumulate up to 6 million by 2011????????????

Obviously the BEST ONE.

Don't call people "idiot". You come off like a petulant twat.

Top Bottom