• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did anyone love KOTOR, but hated the combat system?

Gamezone

Gold Member
I loved the game, but the combat system really wasn't my cup of tea. Anyone else feels the same? I know it's an RPG, but I loved The Witcher 2's combat system over the first one. I hope that if we get another KOTOR, that they'll improve it.

Patryn

I'm really fond of KOTOR's battle system, and wish that Bioware would bring back one of the best things about it: The ability to queue up multiple commands for your followers.

Didn't care for it originally. Today I think it's serviceable. I would love another proper KOTOR game and for the combat to become more engaging without losing the amount of abilities and depth.

DPB

I've no problem with it, but the difficulty was a huge step down from BG2, even on the hardest setting.

Hated the combat system too, but at least you could play on easy and pretty much skip it.

In other games like The Witcher 3, even on easy you have to get along with the crappy gameplay.

horkrux

I hated the combat system in Kotor 1, but only because I didn't get it. Even had to cheat my way through the last level because I must have fucked up my character specs pretty bad. I had simply never played a game like that before.

I guess it was alright if you knew what's up. Didn't have much of an issue with it in Kotor 2.

I liked it at the time because it came out shortly after I got into D&D. I doesn't really hold up in a modern context but I have no problem going back to it.

Funny story, I had one buddy who would always make fun of the group of us who went and played that "virgin game" Dungeons & Dragons. Then he started telling me stories about this amazing new Star Wars game he was playing. I went to his house to try it, and immediately upon entering character creation said, "Oh, this is just like D&D." I could tell he wasn't exactly thrilled by that revelation.

Vecks

Didn't hate it, but I don't really care about or think about combat systems in general. Not what I play RPGs for.

One of the reasons I was attracted to RPGs is because I'm not so great at most pure action, so I like it when even games outside of an 8-bit FF will let me give commands at my pace. It's also one of the things I prefer about Fallout over Elder Scrolls.

A dozen years back this was very novel to me, and I enjoyed KOTOR's battle system a loooot.

aravuus

I actually thought it was much more fun than any of the isometric DnD-based CRPGs combat-wise.

It did get boring after 20 hours too, though. Doesn't matter, combat is not exactly the reason I play these games.

I'm really fond of KOTOR's battle system, and wish that Bioware would bring back one of the best things about it: The ability to queue up multiple commands for your followers.

Yep, it's infuriating to see how Bioware's combat systems have become gradually worse over the years.

KOTOR let you pause and queue up commands for your party so you could create awesome combo attacks, Dragon Age let you set up your own combat AI for your companions so you could ensure that your healer would always stay out of harms way and prioritise the spells that you wanted them to use first.

By the time we get to Inquisition you can't do any of that and your companion who is an absolute beast with a crossbow blindly follows you into melee range and starts attacking a dragon with a wrong end of letter opener.

royox

Most of people play those games withouth understanding that KOTOR combat is dice based. Every action has an automatic dice roll and every melee skill has a pro and a cont. Like "more hits but less damage per hit" or "more damage but -5 defense"

it's a "paper and pen" role game played with a computer. It's genious

105.Will

I've beaten both kotors probably 7 or 8 times and have actually grown to really like the combat system. It does have some jank, but I think it's pretty solid overall.

Baalzebup

I was very familiar with the underlying D&D systems so the combat system made sense to me and I found it to be decidedly ok. It wasn't stellar by any means, but it got shit done and I got to play an awesome Star Wars game.

I wouldn't say I hated it, but I didn't love it much either. I was playing through KOTOR 2 recently and for some reason the combat there seemed to bug me a lot more than when I played the first game.

Back in those days, I always assumed the only way you could do games with a large story or scope, was for them to have "bad" gameplay (i.e. turnbased stuff like Final Fantasy or KOTOR, or bad realtime combat like Morrowind). Pretty much anything that wasn't realtime action wasn't great to me.

I always dreamed of someday getting to play Final Fantasy 7 where you actually directly control the characters (sword combat as Could, Shooting as Barret, etc.), or play KOTOR with the gameplay of Jedi Knight 2 (lightsaber combat and first person shooting).

Nowadays I appreciate turnbased combat more than I did, and I'm more critical of realtime combat. Games like Tales of Symphonia changed my mind on wanting a JRPG with realtime combat because I thought the combat in that game was boring, and having to directly do all the combat just made all the enemy encounters feel like they took way to long. And the demo of Final Fantasy 15 made me pretty hesitant on that game too, since the combat felt really bad (but thankfully that seemed like it was a pretty early build).

AALLx

It's a d20 system. The actual gameplay is in the menus. The attack animations are just visual effects to show you how good you are at ticking spreadsheets. I personally think it's great.

Sendero

The idea of expanding the Star Wars universe, and in an RPG form was pretty neat.
Personally, I actively dislike the first entry for several reasons:

-UI was a poor match for PC controls (not sure on consoles).
-The Inventory management it's easily one of worst I have seen. And like to play games from the 80s-90s.
-The big "twist" in the story is straight out telegraphed in the first 5 mins. With no subtlety whatsoever.
-The I-can't-believe-they-are-not-Star-Wars-cameos are trite.
-Cringe worthy fan-level dialogue. Particularly the romantic ones. The horror.
-Boring and irrelevant side quests. Not even counting those "hello stranger, please pick the Back-or-White future of our baby" ones, that Bioware loved to put back then.
-Carth

Yes, HK-47 was great. Bastila was ok. The skyboxes and some FX were gorgeous, and the ability to customize your lightsaber/powers was a nice boon. But overall, it felt too juvenile. KOTOR 2 now, that's a different story.

Top Bottom