• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

did i watch all the great animes ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No Infinite Ryvius in this thread.
No Planetes in this thread.
No Utena in this thread.
No BECK in this thread.
No Devil Lady in this thread.

Or loads of other quality obscure titles.

Dali

Bootaaay said:
Watch Mononoke

mononoke2.jpg
mononoke.jpg
Does Mononoke ever get uhhhh... not boring? I generally love that type of stuff, but reading books with similar stories is more interesting than the bit of it I watched.

Dali said:
Does Mononoke ever get uhhhh... not boring? I generally love that type of stuff, but reading books with similar stories is more interesting than the bit of it I watched.

If you watch the first arc (episodes 1 & 2) and find it too slow paced or vague then you probably won't enjoy the rest of the series. Personally, I loved it - and Ayakashi, the series of horror stories that preceded Mononoke.

Dali

Bootaaay said:
If you watch the first arc (episodes 1 & 2) and find it too slow paced or vague then you probably won't enjoy the rest of the series. Personally, I loved it - and Ayakashi, the series of horror stories that preceded Mononoke.
That's the one with the haunted room in the whorehouse (or inn?) or something like that? It's been a while and I can't remember it very well, except for the fact that my books with little Japanese myths and folklore were infinitely more entertaining yet covered what I assume is very similar material judging by the first story and everything I've read about it.

jman2050

Alright, serious response:

Urusei Yatsura. My favorite Rumiko Takahashi work and arguably (re?)created the Magical Girlfriend genre as we know it.

Q8D3vil

saw it.
good but not great.
KS Seven X said:
Gungrave is sick, but hated the animation of the group when they went necro. Tsuneo Imahori's music is great though.

Hmmmm....

Cowboy Bebop
House of Five Leaves
Gantz
Blue Gender
Trigun

maybe try those.
yeah gungrave character are amazing.
animation in the last episodes were amazing but no so much in the first half.

Have you watched Gankutsuou yet? If not, then no, you haven't.
of course i watched it.
masterpiece.

Code Geass is the greatest anime of all time!
saw it, good but overrated.
it also got one of the shittiest robots designs.

Where's ANYTHING Macross? (seriously, Macross Plus at the very least, if not Macross & Macross II)
What about 3x3 Eyes?
Appleseed (personal favorite here, not sure of others)
saw them.
damn i need to check macross.
I recommend Gantz. Its only 26 episodes, has some good action, pretty intense drama wise, and can be funny at times (although kinda in a sick way). Most of all it has a pretty fun concept, especially if you are a videogame fan. Seeing how you liked Berserk, I could imagine you really enjoying Gantz.
saw it.
great stuff.

Don't listen to him. Watch Azumanga Daioh instead, the work that K-On! tried and failed to emulate properly.
i hate this style so i'm not going to watch anyone of them.

I'm not even the biggest anime person around, and I've seen more than you listed, but I only watched the fighting stuff of the 80's and 90's, and some gems like Samurai Champloo, Full Metal Alchemist, Death Note etc. - now I just follow the "Big Three".

Others can make a proper list, it'd even have stuff I've seen but I really couldn't list them myself.
i watched way more than my list but i picked my absolute favorite.

If you want something dramatic/realism, watch Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 subbed. I watched all 12 episodes today and I was like wow. I could see that actually happening to Japan.

You better watch all the Ghibli films if possible!

Anything with Steven Blum or Wendee Lee seems to be good.

Samurai Champloo
Scryed
Cowboy Bebop
Outlaw Star
Gurren Lagann
Bleach (hey I like it most of the time except for some of the filler)

MidnightScott said:
If you want something dramatic/realism, watch Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 subbed. I watched all 12 episodes today and I was like wow. I could see that actually happening to Japan.

Well, I wouldn't say all of their films...especially this film.

Attackthebase said:
Well, I wouldn't say all of their films...especially this film.

Is it really that bad? It finally got released in the US. Gotta wait for a DVD or Blu Ray. Man I really want to see The Borrower Arrietty...come on Disney hurry up.

Wow I have Gungrave on DVD and only watched the first disc. :/

Q8D3vil

too much trolling :lol

The best show that anime can offer. I adore the Count's character.

Code Geass is also a great show.
as i stated i watched both of them before.
thanks for mentioning them though :D .

i like the idea of the anime you mentioned.
i might give it a shot.
not fan of ghibli works.

I don't watch a ton of anime but these are 2 that I really enjoyed that you might also like.

Full Metal Panic! (Drama, comedy, action)
B't X (Action)
watched full metal panic.
pretty meh but didn't have anything else to watch at the time.
bt' x doesn't look interesting :/

fallagin

I would say watch Gundam Victory, it has a really nice feeling to it but prepare to be constantly frustrated by the shit that the bad guys pull. Gundam ZZ is pretty crappy I would say; you don't really need to watch it unless you really want to see what stuff happens before Char's Counter Attack.

Q8D3vil

Aad said:
i watched spirited away and i thought it was a completely waste of time.
i appreciate their work but i'm not into their style.

porco rosso was awesome though
:D
I would say watch Gundam Victory, it has a really nice feeling to it but prepare to be constantly frustrated by the shit that the bad guys pull. Gundam ZZ is pretty crappy I would say; you don't really need to watch it unless you really want to see what stuff happens before Char's Counter Attack.
i watched the first two or three episodes of victory and it didn't click with me specially the characters.
i read gundam zz summary before watching char counter attack.
i consider char counter attack my most favorite anime movie.

Amakusa

Aad said:
No. You're missing these:

Great Teacher Onizuka
Kino's Journey
Mononoke
Kuchu Buranko
Princess Mononoke x100 Fix'd
Kaiba
Juuni Kokuki
Mushishi
Hunter x Hunter
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei
Eve no Jikan
More Higashi no Eden
Samurai Champloo
Kemonozume
FLCL
Serial Experiments Lain
Cromartie High School
Shigurui
Paranoia Agent
Boogiepop Phantom
^
Very good list
Soul Eater
Gintama
Outlaw Star (not bad)
Golden Boy (hehe they don't make em like that anymore)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
i watched the first two or three episodes of victory and it didn't click with me specially the characters.
The start of Victory is incredibly weird. (episode 4 is actually the first episode). It's probably worth seeing up to 5-10 before you judge it.

i watched spirited away and i thought it was a completely waste of time.
i appreciate their work but i'm not into their style.

porco rosso was awesome though
You'd probably like princess mononoke, castle of cagliostro, nausicaa and maybe castle in the sky out of the ghibli films if those are the only two you have seen.

Xelinis

Haibane Renmei, the most beautiful anime you will ever watch.

I agree with Bootaaay, Mononoke is great.

hamchan

Mrbob said:
I haven't watched anime in a long time, but back in the day I had a friend who had all the seasons of Ranma 1/2. I actually thought it was pretty good for a couple seasons, then everything went happy go lucky and the show went to shit. I think it is season 4 when the show starts going downhill. Maybe later into season 3, been awhile since I have seen it.

I also saw Cowboy Bebop that was pretty awesome all the way through.
It went downhill when I couldn't tell which episodes were filler and which ones weren't. :(

I just ended up reading the manga.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The last anime I watched was Blood +, and that was ages ago. Oh, I also watched the first three episodes of FMA Brotherhood...

I think I'll follow some of the recommendations on this thread.

Also, watch (series that weren't mentioned ITT):

Death Note
Elfen Lied
Saikano
Speed Grapher

Q8D3vil

you need more Blood in your anime.
fixed

Soul Eater
Gintama
Outlaw Star (not bad)
Golden Boy (hehe they don't make em like that anymore)
watched the first 10 episodes and it didn't click with me.
outlaw star watched 2 episodes and it was meh.
golden boy :D :D :D :D :D :D

You'd probably like princess mononoke, castle of cagliostro, nausicaa and maybe castle in the sky out of the ghibli films if those are the only two you have seen.
saw mononoke along time ago and i remember it being great.
i'll check the other stuff you mentioned.

You haven't witnessed greatness in anime until you've watched Monster.
heard some great stuff about it. might give it a shot later.

Death Note
Elfen Lied
Saikano
Speed Grapher
watched death note and speed grapher but the other two didn't click with me.
Photon: The Idiot Adventures is one I just watched not too long ago. It was amazing. There are six episodes (it's too short, imo. a lot of things don't get explained) and it's jam-packed with action and comedy. Beware of nudity.
not my type.

i just remembered some great stuff which i really liked.
Slam Dunk
SlamDunk.jpg

probably in the same league with hajime no ippo.
amazing animation quality.

Yu Yu hakusho
yu-yu-hakusho.jpg

the reason why i consider naruto and bleach garbage.

i also like one piece. but who doesn't.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Kite said:
Bible Black
Nightshift Nurses
Kite xD
Mezzo Forte

Go forth young padawan~

edit: I joke nsfw nsfw

fuck it im desperate for something adult too. Boring night thus far.

Q8D3vil said:
didn't u hate it :p ?!
i watched it though.
overrated but good.

I hated the ending, but most of it is awesome.

Clemsontigers35 said:
I was always a fan of Blood: The last vampire and Blood+. And Inuyasha. Before you start, I don't care if they're for girls, I like em.

Inuyasha is actually pretty awesome.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Kite said:
Bible Black
Nightshift Nurses
Kite xD
Mezzo Forte

Go forth young padawan~

edit: I joke nsfw nsfw

GAF, I can't find these animes at all.
wtf.
:/

PM me the site or link it discreetly.

D-Pad

Q8D3vil said:
not my type.

I thought the same thing at first. A friend of mine wanted me to watch it and turned it on for me. I thought I'd have to suffer through it (even a good ways through the first episode), but it really picked up, and I started laughing way more than I thought I would. But, yeah, not for kiddies.

All of the other good ones seemed to have been named here. Just making sure another great one got a mention. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom