• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you enjoy Breath of the Wild's weapon durability system?

See thread title

• Yes, it made the game richer

Votes: 122 27.4%
  • No, it detracted from the other things the game did well

Votes: 324 72.6%

• Total voters

Drell

I voted "No" but I won't say it ruined my experiece. There's other thing that should be adressed, like bombs, being infinite but at the same time being able to break too much things in the open world. There's this subquest where you have to rebuild a village (don't know its name in english) and you have to bring a ton of wood. Well it's completely trivialized by the fact you can break every tree you want with your infinite bomb amount to bring the wood you need.

When I think back about BotW, I always think about this more than the breakable weapons system personally.

Last edited:

Dr. Suchong

Didn't mind it one bit.
I hope the weapons in Tok break as soon as you pick them up, just to sit back and watch the reaction meltdown.

Connxtion

No hated it, well still do. I see why it’s there but wish weapons lasted a lot longer.

I find myself not using shields or weapons due to them breaking so easily 😬🙈

Edit: spelling

Last edited:

AllyITA

i liked the idea to keep certain weapons for special occasions (lets say fire or electric sword) and use whatever i could find around me for regular combat. it avoids the abuse of the most powerfull weapons.

sometimes it is annoying, yes, but i don't find it dissimilar from an FPS that has limited ammo so you have to use the simpler gun for regular enemies. for exhample halo giving you limited ammo for the sniper rifle. nobody was protesting for that.

Didn’t like it. Hope it’s gone. Seems like I spent more time equipping and managing new weapons than actually fighting enemies.

Umm okay so you did not keep powerful weapons handy just for stronger monsters/bosses ? That’s not what you said… 😵‍💫
Maybe you and I have different definitions of strategy. I don't consider "use bad weapons in case you need them later "Strategy" I consider that common sense. And it just made the game less enjoyable having to basically nerf myself for the possibility of a super hard boss fight, and most of the bosses didn't even require my best weapons so felt like a waste.

I was put off at first but understood why by the end. It's a great way to force you to experiment and try different weapons. The issue can come when people hoarde their good weapons too much because they dont want to lose them.

The game is trying to teach people to get over that fear and to just use everything. It's good.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
thor_oasis_post.jpg

Fantastic game, better than any Zelda back then :)

The second one on Saturn was even better.

Hahahaha thats it!! Oh man blast from the past. Yeah I remember really enjoying the game and then being driven mad because every time a picked up a cool new sword it wouldnt last very long. Now Zelda is paying the price for it almost 30 years later.

Wow "30 years ago" feels weird to type. Im fuckin old.

kiphalfton

95% of the weapons suck, and there's no point in them.

Also let's not pretend like people didn't try to find the high stat weapons and throw out the garbage, in which case that defeats the point of weapons durability.

Wouldnt have been an issue if it SUPPLEMENTED unbreakable weapons. I mean who doesn't want to shake it up every once in awhile, and take an enemies enemy and beat them to death with it. But making that the whole concept of the game is stupid. And takes away the novelty of it.

Last edited:

fallingdove

Hated weapon durability in BOTW, hate the fact that they brought it back for TOTK. This combined with being able to fall or be knocked off of sky islands is enough for a hard pass on TOTK. I don’t want more tedium in my games.

Trilobit

I didn't really care for the fighting mechanics overall. Compared to Wind Waker it was chaotic to deal with multiple enemies. In WW I enjoyed the sword fights and occasionally taking up a spear. In BotW I could never satisfyingly dodge attacks for some reason.

Last edited:
Top Bottom