• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did you refer to the Nintendo Entertainment System as the Ness, N.E.S, or Nintendo?

MCN

Banned
En Eee Ess, or Nintendo. Never called it nes or snes. It's an acronym and I rarely say acronyms. Like, I say "Ee Ess Pee En" for ESPN, not pronouncing it phonetically like a word. Black Entertainment is Bee Eee Tee, not bet. NBC is En Bee See, not nubuk.

How do you handle GIF, JPEG and NeoGAF?

Stopdoor

Enee-es is super easy and catchy to say, it's not a bad acronym. "Ness" just feels like it could be more easily confused with other things, doesn't sound like a game console name.

N.E.S. and S.N.E.S.

It was real weird to my ears when I started listening to gaming podcasts and heard people saying "ness" and "sness." I'm still not really used to it.

Jetku

When growing up, the Super Nintendo came out around the time I started to be interested in games (age 4-5) so I called the NES the "Original Nintendo". I eventually moved on to N.E.S. And now the Ness

N E S
Super N E S || Super Nintendo

First time I heard it said as a word was on Giant Bomb.

This exactly for me. The idea of pronouncing it "ness" or "sness" never entered my head until Giant Bomb. Must be a regional thing. It was always "Nintendo/Super Nintendo" and (rarely) "N.E.S./S.N.E.S." where I grew up.

Etzer

Ness and Sness

In school, I never heard anyone spell out the acronyms and we talked about video games all the time. Maybe it's the younger people who call it Ness and Sness? I wasn't even alive when either of them were released.

"La Nintendo" in Spanish for me when I was a child. Now I call it "la NES" (as in the ness).

And the SNES for me was "la Super" most of the times, instead of "la Super Nintendo".
Having learned Spanish in Puerto Rico, it's very strange for me to hear people use "la" for consoles. For me, it was "el Playstation" or "el Xbox".

Christof

Neo Member
Super nintendo and nintendo.

in southern California I guess we say each letter of acronyms: S.N.E.S

I never heard sneaze, which is a very unappealing name, until youtube.

I remember the first time I heard someone say star wars' A.T.-A.T. As an "at at", made me sick to my stomach.

I heard someone pronounce it as "Snes" once like it was a word, and I'm pretty sure I made the biggest what the fuck face in history.

"Nintendo" when talking about it generally.
"Nez", "Snez" & "N64" when talking about specific models

Edit: i think the Nez/Snez might be a UK thing. thats just what we called them when i was but a lad

Been gaming since the '80s, I've always said N.E.S. and Super N.E.S. and so does pretty much everybody I know including people I know at work who I talk games with. Wasn't until the internet that I started hearing the occasional "Nez" and the worst, "Snez/Sness" which sounds like a form of sinus congestion.

Top Bottom