Dieting and Soda Pop Derailment thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2007
We might need some context that doesn't involve reading a whole nother thread.

But if you are dieting, Soda ain't gonna help. Is there actually an argument about that?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Jun 18, 2009
EmmanuelMunoz said:
He is probably not alone. I have seen people on basically a constant flow of soda throughout college
Just what are we doing to our health as a species? I mean this is downright ridiculous. Not just the sugar: what kind of caffeine dependency is that going to give a person?
I had a friend in high-school who needed a 12oz dew to wake up in the morning, it was seeing that that terrified me into never drinking soda or coffee heavily. I saw him lose his "morning-person"-ness over the course of three years, I don't want to risk the same.

mjc

Nov 8, 2007
If you're drinking diet soda thinking that it'll help you in dieting, you're sorely wrong. Cut out soda entirely and that'll help your diet.

Jul 13, 2010
I went the past 2 weeks with nothing but water but then I got really hammered on Saturday night and needed some Taco Bell with a Mountain Dew. It happens.

Edit: By water I mean water and alcohol.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Sep 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
www.neogaf.com
You think it tastes amazing until you exclusively drink water for awhile. Then it doesn't taste as good. Because water is fuckawesome.

The 8-10 can thing is insane, but my parents drink a ton of pepsi now that I think about it. They ONLY drink pepsi and beer, too. One of my friends drinks nothing but coke and then a bigass can of monster every night.

I used to drink a shitload of mountain dew, but now I'm over it. The only drink that tempts me is cherry coke and dr. pepper, but a can of that every month or so is fine with me.

Mar 20, 2007
I don't drink soda but I admit sugar is my weakness. I do my best to stay away from them but on the weekend, I'd consume some sugary tea or coffee-flavored milk or eat some ice cream.

I used to drink 4 liters a day during the scorching summer. I would just lay there munching on ice and sipping soda (not to mention I ate like 4 "6 dollar burgers"). I didn't gain a pound, but I knew it was bad for me. I completely cut off sugar and it was pretty miserable. I felt great after a week or so, though. When I finally drank a carbonated beverage again (I think it was cider), it was weird how overwhelming the carbonation was to my mouth.

Nov 27, 2007
Ottawa, Canada
EmmanuelMunoz said:
People treat Diet Soda like water. It is pretty insane
I know studies say "aspartame is safe", but I just have this feeling that it's too good to be true. Plus, all that carbonation, acidity, and caffeine can't be too good either.

Anyways, I remember when going to water in the past, water started tasting a lot better after I got used to it a week or so in. It became quite delicious, in fact. It doesn't taste that great for me at the moment, but I look forward to craving water again.

Jul 7, 2007
Belfast said:
Mmm, vanilla coke zero. My new love.
Wish i could even find the normal vanilla coke let alone the zero type. have never been able to find dr pepper zero or vanilla coke zero anywhere in toronto.

I only drink a few cans of coke a month. Not a big problem for me.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Jun 18, 2009
baekshi said:
Sounds like my nephew, of course diet pepsi.

Are they drugs?
Can anyone honestly tell me they don't know at least one person in their lives who has a serious caffeine problem, be it soda or tea or coffee, to the point where if it was a harder drug you would be concerned for them?

Status
Not open for further replies.