• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dieting and Soda Pop Derailment thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
My weakness is to fountain drinks. I can pretty much ignore bottled and canned pop but my god I need to have a fountain Coke once every couple days or I go crazy. Otherwise I mostly just drink water or milk.

Sadly I'm a sode drinker. I drink too much diet wild cherry pepsi at work.

Sure it isn't good for me but sitting at a cubicle isn't good for me either. Ugh just thinking about how this is my life... soda may be bad for the body but its good for the soul* :lol let me drown my sorrows in a bottle of diet wild cherry pepsi

On the plus side I have a strict no soda rule at home so my daughter never drinks it.

* you need to read that in spongebob's voice when he says krabby patties are good for the soul.

cajunator

Banned
I pretty much limit my sugar intake to candy and gum.
I've gotten to a point where eating more than a slice of cake or pie or too many candies just makes me feel sick. Ill usually wash that down with unsweet tea or water anyway. I honestly can't bleieve some people take in as much sugar as they do and not get sick every day. Just the thought of it makes me sick. Im not trying to diss anybody here who does eat a lot of sugar, but it's definitely not my thing.

Regarding energy drinks, try coconut water instead. One of the most commonly available brands is O.N.E. and it is usually flavored with a bit of guava. It gives you a lot of energy like a rockstar or 5 hour energy does, but it is much healthier for you. The taste does take some getting used to, but it has a lot of electrolytes in it. Those aloe vera drinks are pretty great too but be careful that the aloin was removed (any drink with aloe vera sold in the US is safe to drink but dont just eat the plant!)

KorrZ

I buy one 12 case of Vanilla Coke per month because it's my favourite type of pop. Rest of the time I drink water, unless I'm eating fast food. Since at that point I'm not going to try and lie to myself by drinking a water with my 600 calorie burger.

I drink one cup of coffee a day and that's pretty much the worst. But I only use a small spoonful of sugar and 2% milk rather than half and half/cream. I don't really tend to drink soda or juices of any sort. Occasionally I drink gatorade and I get the Trop 50 stuff sometimes. Mostly I just drink water. Ice cold water is more satisfying and refreshing than pretty much everything else there is to drink.

The problem for me isn't soda or sugary beverages. I might have a glass or two of those a week. The problem is that I probably drink 6-12 beers (usually on the lower end) a week. And that's not really something I want to cut from my diet. I've been thinking about switching to wine and/or other forms of alcohol to cut down on my calorie intake though. Typically I drink 1/2 beers with dinner and might go out with the guys on the weekend. I could switch that to a glass or two of red wine with dinner and probably be much more healthy.

cajunator

Banned
I dont drink alcohol at all so I dont have to deal with beer gut or afterthirst at least.
My friends and even my brother have tried to persuade me but I don't really see a point in drinking, even socially.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
YuriLowell said:
You guys who only drink water, what do you drink in the morning to get you going?

What? Water.

Wake up and immediately chug down 500ml or so of cold water and tell me you don't wake the hell up.

Later on drink coffee without sweeteners if you need.

dIEHARD said:
How is that? Are they sugary enough or do they still taste like diet? Interested myself.
It's great. I just go straight water, no flavoring. I used to drink the lemon-lime flavored Vintage Seltzer but switched to unflavored and have never looked back.

Zefah said:
What? Water.

Wake up and immediately chug down 500ml or so of cold water and tell me you don't wake the hell up.

I don't wake the hell up. Even when I have caffiene I still need a good couple of minutes to wake up on a bad day. I'd be better off throwing the cold water all over my face to wake me up.

JasonS

Neo Member
For a while I was drinking a lot of diet Dr. Pepper and diet Coke - about 5 or 6 times a week. It was at least an improvement over having 1 or 2 Gatorades a day, which I did for some period of time in high school.

I've cut out soda altogether since I started my diet around Memorial Day - only been drinking water, unsweetened tea, and on occasion milk (and alcohol). The only "sweet" foods I've had have been whole fruits. It hasn't been anywhere near as much trouble as I imagined.

Drink a lot of D-Coke. Well, not too much... I guess I'll have a can of caffeine free Dcoke at night, or a few glasses at dinner if I go out and I'm not ordering beer. But back when I needed to lose weight, four or five years ago, dropping soda made me almost instantly drop 10 - 15lbs.

Man, I've never had multiple sodas in one day. And even in a week, I'd have about 2-3, so it's pretty easy for me to cut it off completely. If I'm going out to eat, I'll get one which isn't something I do a lot of either. I haven't had soda in awhile though and stick to mostly; water, tea, milk, juice, and gatorade.

How do people drink diet soda as their drink of choice compared to regular soda? I assume we're talking about the colas here: diet lemon-lime drinks (7up, Sprite, Sierra Mist), Root Beers, and Dr. Pepper don't have super noticeable differences from their regular counterparts, but colas have a completely different taste that just isn't very good. It's tolerable, but I wouldn't pick it if I ever had a choice.

Can you not tell the difference, or do you just get so used to it that it doesn't matter? I know when I was a kid I couldn't really taste a difference, but as my tastes developed it really stands out.
Should I aspire to become a sommelier?

Also - creme soda is terrible and carbonated water I cannot drink at all - awful taste/mouth feel.

Az987

all good things
Every morning I have a 24 oz black coffee from dunkin donuts

For the rest of the day I drink water

If its the weekend I may have 1 beer at night

I did have a root beer this past weekend because I was at a restaurant. That was the first soda I've had for a few months.

Before I stopped drinking soda I was probably drinking 1 or 2 a day.

I was also putting cream and sugar in my coffee before I realized it was adding about 400 calories to it lol

cajunator

Banned
TheLastCandle said:
I don't wake the hell up.
you will wake up pretty quickly if you throw cold water ON you before drinking some.
Ok so thats a bit extreme, so just start off with some coffee or tea. I'm kind of worried about people who have an aversion to water. Your body should not reject water. If you have gotten to the point where you only feel good drinking sugary drinks then you really need to make a change immediately.

Cmagus

PSFan said:
I've been trying to stop drinking soda and I've been able to go a week without it. It's actually been pretty easy for me since I've been drinking pretty much just juice and water :).

Juice has a ton of sugar in it though almost as bad as pop that's probably why you find it so easy.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, I get up in the morning and eat breakfast of a bowl of cereal and a large banana. By the time I'm on my bike I'm pretty awake and by the time I've ridden the mile to school I'm fully ready to go.

I honestly wonder if the "needing caffeine to get going" thing is natural in some people and not others, or if its the result of getting used to it and then eventually dependent on it based ofkind of forming a habit of it in the teen-twenties years.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
Drinking a can of Irn bru right now, gave up smoking last week so i need something unhealthy to tide my days over :p

Its usually water for me when i'm thirsty but today i wanted some soda.

also heatwave outside

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TheLastCandle said:
I don't wake the hell up. Even when I have caffiene I still need a good couple of minutes to wake up on a bad day. I'd be better off throwing the cold water all over my face to wake me up.

Have you ever dried drinking down at least half a liter of water within minutes of waking up? It should feel like you're jump-starting your body, and the "waking up" feeling will come as your various functions start "turning on". It will also probably make you want to take a shit.

If it really doesn't work for you, I don't know what to say, except "that's not natural." Maybe give it a try for a week?

szaromir

Banned
YuriLowell said:
Yeah I tried that exercise thing and it just makes me more tired. I don't see how it can work.
Don't overdo it in the morning, just 10 minutes of exercise to get your blood flowing in your brain (so to speak). Leave the heavy workout for the afternoon.

cajunator

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Yeah, I get up in the morning and eat breakfast of a bowl of cereal and a large banana. By the time I'm on my bike I'm pretty awake and by the time I've ridden the mile to school I'm fully ready to go.

I honestly wonder if the "needing caffeine to get going" thing is natural in some people and not others, or if its the result of getting used to it and then eventually dependent on it based ofkind of forming a habit of it in the teen-twenties years.
For me, coffee is just kind of a guilty pleasure. I dont really need it to function but I like to drink it, even at night before I go to bed ( or in the morning during work days since I work at night). I dont have many days where I cant seem to wake up unless its cold and rainy and totally shit outside, then I just want to stay in bed. But in that case, most people would want to just stay in bed. I also never use those 5 hour energy shots or energy drinks because something about those seems off. I'm kind of afraid of the long term effects of using them too much.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
szaromir said:
Don't overdo it in the morning, just 10 minutes of exercise to get your blood flowing in your brain (so to speak). Leave the heavy workout for the afternoon.

10 minutes even sounds like too much.

I wake up, immediately chug down water, then do 40 - 60 wall presses followed by 20 - 30 air squats. I'm fully awake and the blood is flowing by this point. I usually follow it up with more water, or maybe a bit of coffee while making breakfast.

Zefah said:
Have you ever dried drinking down at least half a liter of water within minutes of waking up? It should feel like you're jump-starting your body, and the "waking up" feeling will come as your various functions start "turning on". It will also probably make you want to take a shit.

If it really doesn't work for you, I don't know what to say, except "that's not natural." Maybe give it a try for a week?

You know what? I think I will try it for a week, but I don't have high hopes. We shall see.

But just so you know this has less to do with any sort of hatred of water (which I don't have, btw), and more to do with me being a god damned miserable wreck when I wake up early for work.

I cut out most of my soda drinking a few months ago. I didn't really notice that much of a difference, but on the other hand I didn't find it that hard and I don't really miss it.

cajunator

Banned
ProtoCents said:
Some of the people in this thread have such weird habits.

It's like a contest to see who can lead the most organic life.
It's really not so much that, as knowing what bad shit can do to your body over time as you get older and genuinely being afraid of the consequences. It also happens that a lot of the healthy stuff is actually pretty good tasting. If it all tasted like shit and vinegar most people would still stay away from it.

Murkas

I haven't drank soda or fizzy drinks since Christmas.

The first week or so was hard but after that I just fell in love with water, I drink that when ever I can.

As a result I lost around 20KG in weight. (Of course fixing other aspects of my diet and excercise/weight lifting also helped)

I don't miss soda at all, I drank one coke can about a month ago because that's all there was at the time and I couldn't finish the can. It tasted nasty and I don't know why.

Also saying you're cutting soda out your life then sticking to diet doesn't help your case.

Long live water.

cajunator

Banned
One thing I don't understand, is the current fad of using stainless water bottles. I have a couple given to me as gifts and I sometimes use them, but the bottle gives it an odd taste and I really dont enjoy it. Its better than plastic bottles though. Those can give water an awful taste. Glass bottles FTW.

The Technomancer

cajunator said:
It's really not so much that, as knowing what bad shit can do to your body over time as you get older and genuinely being afraid of the consequences. It also happens that a lot of the healthy stuff is actually pretty good tasting. If it all tasted like shit and vinegar most people would still stay away from it.
Oh yeah there's that too. My local corner market has (relatively) fresh carrots for 1.19 for 2 pounds. Thats most of my vegetables for the week right there, and they taste great.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
Sort of off-topic, but vinegar can be pretty tasty, certainly better than mayo as a condiment. Oil+Vinegar coleslaw>>>>>>>>>Mayo-based coleslaw.
Homeade vinaigrette is excellent as well. Infuse with some olive oil, dashes of raspberry and some herbs and you've got the best low-fat salad dressing ever.

cajunator said:

Sort of off-topic, but vinegar can be pretty tasty, certainly better than mayo as a condiment. Oil+Vinegar coleslaw>>>>>>>>>Mayo-based coleslaw.

Biff

Murkas said:
Also saying you're cutting soda out your life then sticking to diet doesn't help your case.
ChefRamsay said:
I have still yet to see anybody posting "LOL @ diet soda ppl u will die 2" provide any further argument as to why diet soda is bad for you.

Aspartame has been proven safe by countless government studies. The dangers of aspartame is an Internet myth that somehow still lives on today. No sugar content means no spiking insulin, which means far less risk of diabetes. It's a zero calorie way to satisfy modern widespread caffeine addictions.

The only thing you could pick apart is the caffeine consumption. But then you should also be slamming coffee as well.

And you can't knock it for lack of vitamins. Newsflash: water doesn't have vitamins either. A single multivitamin a morning will have you more than covered, no matter what you drink or eat during the day.

I love diet soda - haven't touched full sugar drinks in over a year now. I now can't eat candy or cakes.. The sugar content gives me a headache 10 minutes later everytime.

Would love to see an intelligent argument to my post but I doubt I'm going to get one, because I have yet to see one that exists.

CarbonatedFalcon said:
How do people drink diet soda as their drink of choice compared to regular soda? I assume we're talking about the colas here: diet lemon-lime drinks (7up, Sprite, Sierra Mist), Root Beers, and Dr. Pepper don't have super noticeable differences from their regular counterparts, but colas have a completely different taste that just isn't very good. It's tolerable, but I wouldn't pick it if I ever had a choice.

Can you not tell the difference, or do you just get so used to it that it doesn't matter? I know when I was a kid I couldn't really taste a difference, but as my tastes developed it really stands out.
Should I aspire to become a sommelier?
The first month is awful. Really no way around it. Coke Zero is better than Diet Coke IMO, so I made the transition from Coke/Pepsi to Coke Zero/Pepsi Max. Now I can drink the regular Diet versions and actually enjoy them *gasp* ;)

Maddness

wow. I was just thinking of finding some thread to talk about how I miss Surge. Here is that thread! Man. I miss Surge!

X26

Banned
I haven't had any soda in a week or so, and as a whole try to avoid it. However, I do enjoy the taste of it and believe a lot of people who say they find it disgusting or whatever are full of shit. I see nothing wrong with enjoying the occasional soda, and it sure as hell isn't going to have the kind of negative impact people claim it will have on your health

I don't drink diet soda period, as none of it tastes any good except maybe diet dr. pepper

The Technomancer

X26 said:
I haven't had any soda in a week or so, and as a whole try to avoid it. However, I do enjoy the taste of it and believe a lot of people who say they find it disgusting or whatever are full of shit. I see nothing wrong with enjoying the occasional soda, and it sure as hell isn't going to have the kind of negative impact people claim it will have on your health

I don't drink diet soda period, as none of it tastes any good except maybe diet dr. pepper
Nothing wrong with the occasional soda. But I think more then one can a day does affect your health, and more then three or four cans a day is downright bad.

cajunator

Banned
X26 said:

I actually do find soda pretty disgusting. It makes me just not feel right. All the sugar and crap makes me feel full but kind of nauseated and thats why I let it water down to nothing before I can drink it in any considerable quantity. I think part of it is the carbonation, but it's really just not osmething I prefer to drink. There's nothing "elitist" or "hipster" about not drinking soda, its more just about finding healthier alternatives that satisfy just as much. I drink water and unsweetened tea and coconut juice just as much because I actually enjoy the taste as it is healthy for me.

DJ88

Ok I drink a variety of different liquids including soda on occasion, and I totally understand the want to drink water over soda for health reasons. But when it comes to taste I just can't fathom how people can say that water is DELICIOUS and GODLY, and that soda tastes awful. How can people like the taste of water when there is no taste! I've tried all kinds of water, tap, bottled, filtered and it all taste the same to me, bland, plain, boring, nothingness. It's like saying you love the amazing taste of paper and would rather eat paper than a delicious desert.

Soda is bad, but how you can't enjoy an ice cold coke with some BBQ or at the movies once in a while and say it taste like garbage just sounds insane to me.

cajunator

Banned
DJ88 said:
Ok I drink a variety of different liquids including soda on occasion, and I totally understand the want to drink water over soda for health reasons. But when it comes to taste I just can't fathom how people can say that water is DELICIOUS and GODLY, and that soda tastes awful. How can people like the taste of water when there is no taste! I've tried all kinds of water, tap, bottled, filtered and it all taste the same to me, bland, plain, boring, nothingness. It's like saying you love the amazing taste of paper and would rather eat paper than a delicious desert.

Soda is bad, but how you can't enjoy an ice cold coke with some BBQ or at the movies once in a while and say it taste like garbage just sounds insane to me.
I actually cant. Ice cold or not its just drinking pure sugar and I can't fucking stand it. I can tolerate lemonade and maybe light root beer but thats it these days. I dont go near coca cola or pepsi and I sometimes dont even get a drink with a fast food meal and just drink a cup of tea or water with it. I just don't like the overly sweet taste of it I guess. Water itself doesn't really have much of a flavor, you're right, but it does make me feel pretty awesome and awake when I drink it. I get the same energy burst from it that people might get from a 5 hour energy shot.

Murkas

DJ88 said:

It's because we hate that we only drink water so we delude ourselves into thinking it has taste :(

In all seriousness, an ice cold water trumps all. I don't really get hydrated drinking soda which is one of the main reasons I stopped drinking it. Also I have gone off the taste and no I'm not exaggerating or anything. Where as cold water keeps me alert and makes me feel fuller for longer.

However I like to be consistent so I'll pick on another drink, I don't get people who drink wine/beer with their food. Doesn't that make you more thirsty?

I buy a gallon jug of water at the beginning of the week and drink it/refill it each day. Outside of one NOS energy drink a day, that's all I drink.

Breaking away from soda was brutal, i was a 10-15 can a day guy. I used "jolt caffeine gum" to help me slowly detox. Feels good man.

Fixed1979

I pretty much gave up completely on pop when I started P90X over the winter. I'll grab a can of Pepsi maybe once a month if my roomate has a bunch in the fridge, and probably a Coke Zero once a week. SP helped me kick the habbit big time.

ancien-packaging-s-pellegrino4.jpg

cajunator

Banned
I was never really a soda drinker. I was raised on coffee milk and sweet tea. The sweet tea is basically a gallon of lipton unsweetened tea flavored with a scoopful of local cane sugar and the coffee milk has pretty much been reduced to just coffee with a spoonful of creamer and thats it, so getting away from soda was never difficult and not really a problem to begin with. A lot of aversion to water and healthy drinks/food is all in the mind anyway. If you dont want to do it, you will keep telling your body to reject it, until it actually does.

KingGondo

Banned
Fixed1979 said:
I pretty much gave up completely on pop when I started P90X over the winter. I'll grab a can of Pepsi maybe once a month if my roomate has a bunch in the fridge, and probably a Coke Zero once a week. SP helped me kick the habbit big time.
Perrier for me, but same thing. Sparkling spring water is good stuff. Extremely refreshing.

cajunator

Banned
AbsoluteZero said:
Nothing is healthy in excess, but you mean to tell me I'm better off drinking a sugared soda as opposed to a diet soda if I have one 12oz can a day?
No. the thing is, just limit it to one per day and supplement it with healthier drinks. Nobody has to completely GIVE UP on soda (unless you are extremely diabetic or something). You can still enjoy an occasional sweet drink, just dont have 2-3 of them per day. Don't establish an addiction to it where you have to have one to function.

3N16MA

Banned
YuriLowell said:
You guys who only drink water, what do you drink in the morning to get you going?

So many people have become dependent on drinking something with high amounts of sugar and/or caffeine to "get them going" in the morning. How about milk, water, natural fruit juice? I don't need sugar and caffeine to keep me awake during the day. Still find it odd that people drink steaming coffee everyday during the summer.

Murkas

AbsoluteZero said:
Nothing is healthy in excess, but you mean to tell me I'm better off drinking a sugared soda as opposed to a diet soda if I have one 12oz can a day?

Where did I say that? My point was about diet soda still being bad for you, not diet soda is worse then regular.

Kyaw

I always have a 1litre water bottle in my room. I drink that all the time.

Water > everything else

I do drink some soda but mostly concentrated fruit juices.
I drink Coffee in the morning too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom