• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry about XSX teraflops advantage : It's kinda all blowing up in the face of Xbox Series X

rnlval

Notice how much more similar the general shading, trees, etc. look in shots with closer lighting.

Assuming that the XSX shot is running in the same mode as the PS5 shot and that both console shots are actually from the consoles represented, there is a reduction in triangles there between the two on some objects but not all, but certainly nothing that is really getting noticed without a heavy zoom or a side by side comparison.
XSS support could be causing game design issues for XSX i.e. the lowest common denominator problem. PS5's performance is the baseline when targeting the PS5 platform.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So Microsoft launched a standard and pro version and didn’t tell anyone?
According to Digital Foundry, Microsoft told Digital Foundry this before the launch -- that Series S is Microsoft's next-gen console and Series X is the mid-gen refresh / the Pro version of Gen 9 console.

PaintTinJr

FYI, PS4 Pro has FP16 rapid pack math. Baseline PS4 doesn't have FP16 rapid pack math. PC R7-265 delivers PS4-level performance despite two ACE units.
I had it in my head that provided the ACE count per TF was balanced - like it is with the PS4/Pro - compute shaders could be used asynchronously with clever packing/unpacking to utilise the FP32 flops for RPM to a similar benefit, but I can't find any papers on that, so that's clearly wrong.

rnlval

I had it in my head that provided the ACE count per TF was balanced - like it is with the PS4/Pro - compute shaders could be used asynchronously with clever packing/unpacking to utilise the FP32 flops for RPM to a similar benefit, but I can't find any papers on that, so that's clearly wrong.
Xbox One has a custom DX12 micro coding front end along with the two ACEs and two GCP (Graphics Command Processor) units.

Microsoft's Andrew Goossen has been in touch to clarify that D3D12 support at the hardware level is actually a part of the existing Xbox One and Xbox One S too. "Scorpio builds on the Command Processor capability present in the original Xbox One," we're told. "Our implementation of D3D12 supports all Xbox Ones, and games have already shipped that use it. When a game using D3D12 starts up, we reprogram the GPU's Command Processor front-end. The 50 percent CPU rendering overhead improvement was reported by shipping games. The amount of win is dependent on the game engine and content, and not all games will see that size of improvement. Scorpio's Command Processor provides additional capability and programmability beyond what Xbox One/Xbox One S can do. We plan to take advantage of this in the future
There were hints back in the day from a slide of Frostbite Engine with a one-line statement with "Xbox One has command processor microcode support".

"The HWS (Hardware Workgroup/Wavefront Schedulers) are essentially ACE pipelines that are configured without dispatch controllers. Their job is to offload the CPU by handling the scheduling of user/driver queues on the available hardware queue slots. They are microcode-programmable processors that can implement a variety of scheduling policies. We used them to implement the Quick Response Queue and CU Reservation features in Polaris, and we were able to port those changes to third-generation GCN products with driver updates."

PC R7-265 has the luxury of a strong desktop X86 CPU.

Grassgate 5.0
Those trees are completely different on XSX. It's like those are'nt even nanite enabled. Same thing for basically most objects on the background at the house level. Difference of details is significant. I wonder if XSX simply uses XSS settings... So they would have optimized Fortnite on XSS and up the res on XSX and called it a day.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Notice how much more similar the general shading, trees, etc. look in shots with closer lighting.

Assuming that the XSX shot is running in the same mode as the PS5 shot and that both console shots are actually from the consoles represented, there is a reduction in triangles there between the two on some objects but not all, but certainly nothing that is really getting noticed without a heavy zoom or a side by side comparison.
XSX is literally missing an entire tree.

Less tessellation as well. Why are you doing this?

PaintTinJr

Xbox One has a custom DX12 micro coding front end along with the two ACEs and two GCP (Graphics Command Processor) units.

Microsoft's Andrew Goossen has been in touch to clarify that D3D12 support at the hardware level is actually a part of the existing Xbox One and Xbox One S too. "Scorpio builds on the Command Processor capability present in the original Xbox One," we're told. "Our implementation of D3D12 supports all Xbox Ones, and games have already shipped that use it. When a game using D3D12 starts up, we reprogram the GPU's Command Processor front-end. The 50 percent CPU rendering overhead improvement was reported by shipping games. The amount of win is dependent on the game engine and content, and not all games will see that size of improvement. Scorpio's Command Processor provides additional capability and programmability beyond what Xbox One/Xbox One S can do. We plan to take advantage of this in the future
There were hints back in the day from a slide of Frostbite Engine with a one-line statement with "Xbox One has command processor microcode support".

"The HWS (Hardware Workgroup/Wavefront Schedulers) are essentially ACE pipelines that are configured without dispatch controllers. Their job is to offload the CPU by handling the scheduling of user/driver queues on the available hardware queue slots. They are microcode-programmable processors that can implement a variety of scheduling policies. We used them to implement the Quick Response Queue and CU Reservation features in Polaris, and we were able to port those changes to third-generation GCN products with driver updates."

PC R7-265 has the luxury of a strong desktop X86 CPU.
Each ACE could handle 8 queues - both by AMD GPU info and PS4 tech specs wiki - so even though it wasn't optimised like the Liverpool use of ACEs to avoid contention,

Though based on AMD's GCN architecture, there are several known differentiating factors between the PS4's GPU and current-gen PC graphics cards featuring first-gen GCN architecture:

• An additional dedicated 20 GB/s bus that bypasses L1 and L2 GPU cache for direct system memory access, reducing synchronisation challenges when performing fine-grained GPGPU compute tasks.
  • L2 cache support for simultaneous graphical and asynchronous compute tasks through the addition of a 'volatile' bit tag, providing control over cache invalidation, and reducing the impact of simultaneous graphical and general purpose compute operations.
  • An upgrade from 2 to 64 sources for compute commands, improving compute parallelism and execution priority control. This enables finer-grain control over load-balancing of compute commands enabling superior integration with existing game engines.
it still still ends up being16 queues versus 64 queues, so a potential of 75% less ability to exploit async opportunities than the base PS4. And if we are being truly honest, the gap between the X1 and PS4 only every got bigger, both in comparison of first party optimised efforts and high profile 3rd party efforts like Cyberpunk.

The two ACEs were probably adequate for the X1 with the ESram/DDR4 being the main bottleneck, so it isn't like they could have benefitted from having more ACEs for higher throughput

DaGwaphics

XSX is literally missing an entire tree.

Less tessellation as well. Why are you doing this?

It's Fortnite, which I don't play. Are the trees always in the same place? Did someone come by and chop that tree down? I don't know.

But, anyway, the images look practically identical under similar conditions without the zoom as expected. Which was my point to begin with that the painfully bad initial comparison made the XSX look comparatively worse than it should have.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Yeah, the PS5 is clearly superior there.

Since you "lol" DaGwaphics DaGwaphics , care to explain why? The images are clear about the distinction.

Anyone that thinks there is a meaningful difference between the shots (with the similar lighting) has a mental illness, full stop. LOL The shots with entirely different lighting really aren't very comparable.

That doesn't mean there are no difference it means there is nothing that anyone is going to notice while playing Fortnite on Xbox. It's like comparing a game that is 1440p on one system and 1800p on another, there will be a technical difference but in motion with no zoom, no one is noticing that if other settings are similar. These are differences that do not matter. If the XSX version didn't have trees or they were using cardboard billboards for them you'd be on to something.

There might be some people that count trees in Fortnite, but probably not that many.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's Fortnite, which I don't play. Are the trees always in the same place? Did someone come by and chop that tree down? I don't know.

But, anyway, the images look practically identical under similar conditions without the zoom as expected. Which was my point to begin with that the painfully bad initial comparison made the XSX look comparatively worse than it should have.
Yes, the threes are in the same spots. No, it would have left a big stump.

And it looks just like the night shot. Lower tesselation (geometry) and less vegetation.

Anyone that thinks there is a meaningful difference between the shots
That is not the argument.

The thread topic was about how the mental gymnastics from DF and those who pretend to be experts, could not wrap their heads around the fact the two consoles have been trading blows and are more about the sum of their parts, depending on what rendering techniques are favored in the engines.

Something that was the opposite of what was being propagated by DF, fantards, etc.. Where as devs have stated this and were laughed or shrugged off.

It be what it be.

"A rising tide lifts all boats." "Pretty cool, right?"

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

And it looks just like the night shot. Lower tesselation (geometry) and less vegetation.

I was commenting more on how an uglier angle had been chosen (because of the lighting) for the XSX in the initial images. I wasn't referencing the missing tree or triangles, just the fact that the lack of self shadowing on the Xbox shot was flattening the trees and the building that was there because it was from an "uglier time of day" for that specific spot. The first shot was creating a bigger visual difference because of the lighting changes.

S0ULZB0URNE

XSS support could be causing game design issues for XSX i.e. the lowest common denominator problem. PS5's performance is the baseline when targeting the PS5 platform.
The problem is xss isn't the lowest denominator for every Xbox 'exclusive'.

Lysandros

• An additional dedicated 20 GB/s bus that bypasses L1 and L2 GPU cache for direct system memory access, reducing synchronisation challenges when performing fine-grained GPGPU compute tasks.
  • L2 cache support for simultaneous graphical and asynchronous compute tasks through the addition of a 'volatile' bit tag, providing control over cache invalidation, and reducing the impact of simultaneous graphical and general purpose
  • Shouldn't those important GPGPU customizations also be present in PS5? Wouldn't they be required for BC at least? In a similar fashion to PS4 PRO's hardware ID buffer for which we have confirmation?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Anyone that thinks there is a meaningful difference between the shots (with the similar lighting) has a mental illness, full stop. LOL The shots with entirely different lighting really aren't very comparable.

That doesn't mean there are no difference it means there is nothing that anyone is going to notice while playing Fortnite on Xbox. It's like comparing a game that is 1440p on one system and 1800p on another, there will be a technical difference but in motion with no zoom, no one is noticing that if other settings are similar. These are differences that do not matter. If the XSX version didn't have trees or they were using cardboard billboards for them you'd be on to something.

There might be some people that count trees in Fortnite, but probably not that many.
What you call a mental illness I call using what was provided to me in the womb. My eyes see a clear difference. Minimize it how you choose, that doesn't make you any less delusional.

The point is the XSX was supposed to show a notable advantage thanks to its superior graphics card. Most games do not show this disparity (and actually have favored the PS5 on plenty of occasions). Again, no way to minimize that unless you take a personal stake in this — and that is a you problem.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
What you mean like the tree missing on the left of the PS5 pic ?

The quality of Nanite in Fortnite (UE5) looks better in the PS5 version.
5EDI2fl.jpg
CtWltMu.jpg
mlsBo0F.jpg

That is not the argument.

The thread topic was about how the mental gymnastics from DF and those who pretend to be experts, could not wrap their heads around the fact the two consoles have been trading blows and are more about the sum of their parts, depending on what rendering techniques are favored in the engines.

Something that was the opposite of what was being propagated by DF, fantards, etc.. Where as devs have stated this and were laughed or shrugged off.

It be what it be.

"A rising tide lifts all boats." "Pretty cool, right?"

Or the missing sign on the post to the left.
I couldn't find it because the city was updated.Please check the image below instead.In this scene, the PS5 version was more rounded, and I could see more leaves.
The location is SLAPPY SHORES.
vDhyStM.jpg
4kSuFvM.jpg
d1rK911.jpg
This game is dynamic dependant upon the number of players in the area.
Played on Ps5 and SX. Ps5 seem to suffer from frame drops more often but then again that could have been number of players in the area.

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Bullshit. I've seen both (my good friend plays on her X) and they both are locked at 60. Only drops I see is when they lower dance animations themselves, but the game is buttery smooth all the time.
Bullshit you. They do drop frames.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Just a reminder that with differences this close (and PS5 having any visual advantages at all), it's still a win for the weaker console. And that is the jist of this topic.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Just a reminder that with differences this close (and PS5 having any visual advantages at all), it's still a win for the weaker console. And that is the jist of this topic.
Sx is the weakest. TF don't mean anything. PS5 higher mhz clock etc.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Frame drops or streaming in assets? I never noticed the drops, really. On either one.

I noticed animations being halved.
I did think streaming assets at first but then I got in a car drove around a town. And the frames will drop. And when there was a few players having a shootout.

The area with the Purple squid, there is always a car to the left of it. One time it was there, a shootout started, went out of view for about 10 seconds car gone. Did the same again car reappeared. Game assets seem dynamic.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
About the missing tree, anyone who ever played Fortnite knows that any building or tree is farmable for materials.
Yes, and it leaves a stump. No stump present.

But it's probably dynamic like mentioned before if these shots weren't taken from the same game time through cross-play.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Sx is the weakest. TF don't mean anything. PS5 higher mhz clock etc.
I'm going to make sure we mark that, as you're obviously the only one who thinks this.

In reality, the SX's graphics card is more powerful, system has more CUs, and a higher texture rate. I said nothing about teraflops. Yes, the PS5 has advantages, but no one argued otherwise. The entire point of this thread is to highlight the fact that the Series X is overall more powerful, and yet, not to the degree that was earlier suggested.

Last edited:

RobRSG

If I had the time I would be testing the Fortnite thing on my own, but as the dude did not even capture the same match it feels like we are in the “Trust me bro” territory.

DaGwaphics

What you call a mental illness I call using what was provided to me in the womb. My eyes see a clear difference. Minimize it how you choose, that doesn't make you any less delusional.

The point is I decided that the XSX was supposed to show a notable advantage thanks to its superior graphics card. Most games do not show this disparity (and actually have favored the PS5 on plenty of occasions). Again, no way to minimize that unless you take a personal stake in this — and that is a you problem.

Changed it for you. The GPUs in the systems are different, the wideness of the XSX can give it some resolution bumps and boost the frames at times, while the peak triangles available to PS5 GPU can give it some advantages and some fps wins of its own as can the IO difference. The question becomes whether or not the differences are substantive or not, I don't believe they are and you do that is the impasse.

Kerotan

Obviously the MS marketing money has run out. Expect a new terrible narrative from them when the next Xbox console is revealed.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Changed it for you. The GPUs in the systems are different, the wideness of the XSX can give it some resolution bumps and boost the frames at times, while the peak triangles available to PS5 GPU can give it some advantages and some fps wins of its own as can the IO difference. The question becomes whether or not the differences are substantive or not, I don't believe they are and you do that is the impasse.
You can change what ever you'd like, but you're still lying to yourself. Your overall approach in fact is your problem. I'm simply going by the facts.

Fact: XSX has a stronger graphics card
Fact: Based on those pics, Fortnite looks better on PS5

What ever scale you use to judge the level of importance is irrelevant. I said I saw differences, doesn't matter how big or small. They're there.

DaGwaphics

Fact: XSX has a stronger graphics card
Fact: Based on those pics, Fortnite looks better on PS5

That right there is your fatal flaw. The XSX has a wider front-end, the PS5 actually has a more performant back-end (similar structure but faster). This is what makes your argument so poor.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
That right there is your fatal flaw. The XSX has a wider front-end, the PS5 actually has a more performant back-end (similar structure but faster). This is what makes your argument so poor.
Fatal flaw? :pie_roffles: No. I couldn't care less which one has the advantage, but if we're going to now pretend that XSX hasn't been touted as the stronger of the two, and just lie to ourselves to attempt an argument victory (and, again, completely ignore the point of this thread), then hey, do you.

Last edited:

shamoomoo

• Shouldn't those important GPGPU customizations also be present in PS5? Wouldn't they be required for BC at least? In a similar fashion to PS4 PRO's hardware ID buffer for which we have confirmation?
Maybe. This is from Eurogamers 2020 interview with Mark Cerny.

PlayStation 4 Pro was built to deliver higher performance than its base counterpart in order to open the door to 4K display support, but compatibility was key. A 'butterfly' GPU configuration was deployed which essentially doubled up on the graphics core, but clock speeds aside, the CPU had to remain the same - the Zen core was not an option. For PS5, extra logic is added to the RDNA 2 GPU to ensure compatibility with PS4 and PS4 Pro, but how about the CPU side of the equation?

Advertisement

"All of the game logic created for Jaguar CPUs works properly on Zen 2 CPUs, but the timing of execution of instructions can be substantially different," Mark Cerny tells us. "We worked to AMD to customise our particular Zen 2 cores; they have modes in which they can more closely approximate Jaguar timing. We're keeping that in our back pocket, so to speak, as we proceed with the backwards compatibility work."

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Maybe. This is from Eurogamers 2020 interview with Mark Cerny.

PlayStation 4 Pro was built to deliver higher performance than its base counterpart in order to open the door to 4K display support, but compatibility was key. A 'butterfly' GPU configuration was deployed which essentially doubled up on the graphics core, but clock speeds aside, the CPU had to remain the same - the Zen core was not an option. For PS5, extra logic is added to the RDNA 2 GPU to ensure compatibility with PS4 and PS4 Pro, but how about the CPU side of the equation?

Advertisement

"All of the game logic created for Jaguar CPUs works properly on Zen 2 CPUs, but the timing of execution of instructions can be substantially different," Mark Cerny tells us. "We worked to AMD to customise our particular Zen 2 cores; they have modes in which they can more closely approximate Jaguar timing. We're keeping that in our back pocket, so to speak, as we proceed with the backwards compatibility work."

So, if they go with a Zen 4 design for the Pro, everything will work out well.

DaGwaphics

Fatal flaw? :pie_roffles: No. I couldn't care less which one has the advantage, but if we're going to now pretend that XSX hasn't been touted as the stronger of the two, and just lie to ourselves to attempt an argument victory (and, again, completely ignore the point of this thread), then hey, do you.

People can certainly misinterpret specs. And the XSX does have a relatively substantial GPU lead in terms of the peak output of the compute units and it shows in games that are stressing that part of the GPU, sometimes more noticeable than others. But, the PS5 has always had it's own statistical advantages (some of those equally substantial) and those advantages also bear fruit. Thus the game by game differences. You can go back to the very early posts in the tech thread, I've always assumed that the systems were going to trade blows, the opinions of others is outside my control.

DaGwaphics

It seems like my post questioning the differences in object placement across the different platforms got removed (I guess off topic), but why?

We seriously need to get a cross platform match going around this location, someone needs to put a video together of both sides of a game (both PS5 and Xbox footage and Switch or anything else they put together). Like really, are people hiding behind objects that don't exist in all versions of the game? Or standing around hacking at air to gain resources from the perspective of Xbox players.

That would be too funny. There is potential views in this for some YT personality. LOL, someone get on that.

For all the time it's been out, this seems like something fundamentally broken in the cross-platform/cross-generational design of the Fortnite game. How are the basic structures of the game world not being included for everyone in a match, since people are saying there is no procedural processes involved with the map (for major objects that are large enough to hide players, sources of resources, etc. - not talking about the density of grass blades or anything superfluous like that - just the major objects that could occlude players or objects)?

Last edited:

Mokus

So, if they go with a Zen 4 design for the Pro, everything will work out well.

"We worked to AMD to customise our particular Zen 2 cores; they have modes in which they can more closely approximate Jaguar timing."
To my understanding, they will have to costumize the cores again with Zen 4 for the PS4 backwards compatibility.

Mokus

Which they will,
Yes, in the spring of 2020 when some morons were spreading rumors that PS5 might only run about PS4 100 games. With proper hardware compatibility via processor (most important), Cerny was assuring us - "We're keeping that in our back pocket" - until officially they can confirm how many PS4 games will be backwards compatible on the PS5. They were still testing all the PS4 games for this purpose and possibly still working on the hardware and drivers - "as we proceed with the backwards compatibility work".

I don't want to suggest that Zen 4 won't be customized, only it won't be a simple jump.

Top Bottom