• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry claims PS5 doesn't exhibit any evidence of VRS(Variable Rate Shading) from PS5 showcase.

Dory16

Banned
Yes, it's 95% a software API using one small RDNA2 hardware feature available on all RDNA2 GPUs. But even then it's a compromise as we can easily see the artefacts it brings, at least using MS own implementation.

From patents we know Sony has a different implementation of a very similar feature but they won't talk about it because their job is to promote their games, not their software APIs that are hidden behind strict NDAs.
Sorry but when they promote Tempest and Kraken I don't think they are promoting their games.

Ar¢tos

GAF witch hunts made another person of the industry move away because GAF users can't tolerate anyone saying anything negative or less positive .
Then people complain that this place is basically GameFAQs v2.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
Depends which theory about the 100GB/s your talking about.

If it's the theory that 100GBs of data can be made instantly accessible to the GPU that part is bullshit. And the main reason why are the hard limits of the SSD that determines how fast data can transfer over.
If it's bullshit I'm pretty sure we will hear it sooner or later from someone who actually owns a dev kit. For gamers to call it bullshit without a beginning of proof is just console warring.
The best explanation I've heard for it so far is that there is a 100GB partition in the SSD that the CPU is able to access as fast as if it was system RAM (the big mystery is why that is but I'm sure it will be revealed in time). The data hereby accessed can then be written to RAM at the bus bandwidth capacity of 560GB/s which is what they call instantaneous. That would convert to approximately 20 times faster than the fastest theoretical loading speed of the fastest SSDs.
Someone should just tweet the question to Phil.

geordiemp

RTX 2080 has variable clocks?
And what is the memory bandwith difference between both cards?
Are those cards RDNA2?

You get it. The answer to your question is not relevant to the debate PS5 vs XSX if that's what really being compared

I did not bring the 2080 subject up, I was responding to a poster who was implying the extra GHz of Ps5 would have no performance benefit, just look at 2080 ti vs super was his stance.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Why being skeptic when we already have something like that, ingame, on PS4 Pro ?

49786623562_6c6a329aa9_h.jpg

Skeptical people didn't play enough on their PS4, apparently.

Not even close.

Just the facial animations of Hellblade 2 make anything from this gen look like absolute crap in comparison.

GAF witch hunts made another person of the industry move away because GAF users can't tolerate anyone saying anything negative or less positive .

Being a person of the industry doesn’t make you above bias.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Regarding 22GB/s, and in general "the numbers", what I wanted to say is that if you want to make comparisons you must do them on valid equivalences.
That was the most important part of your text. You were the one making comparisons, you apply the kraken compression to get to 22GB/s, but you don't apply the same logic to the XSX SSD. There's a whole topic on the SSD of the XSX that already clarified that the 4.8GB/s figure is very conservative. It's obviously not reaching 22GB/s, but for someone who doesn't have access to an XSX you are pretty sure things aren't possible.

Ar¢tos

Sorry but when they promote Tempest and Kraken I don't think they are promoting their games.
Did they mention Kraken or Tempest at all in the "Future of Gaming" show?
Or are you complaining that they mentioned it in the video made for the GDC?
What were they supposed to talk about for the GDC then?

geordiemp

Not even close.

True, but we all should challenge them on the point, there is no need for ad hominem which we see far too often on GAF (not pointing out your post in particular, I am generalising here).

And even for people in the industry, someone who understands the fine detail of game software apis does not mean they have expertise on semiconductor design. They could also be an artist.

On your first point I dont get excited or impressed with cinematics, only thing I have seen so far whiich looked good was Ratchet gameplay bits, I could see the health bar and selection of weopons.

However, it was just a first showing and tease from both sides, there is plant of time yet.

Last edited:

SleepDoctor

Banned

Witch hunt?? I didn't know pointing out a bias and a guy who was very wrong about his 13.3 tf predictions was a "witch hunt".

If it is, then what category would insulting people like the df guy and vfx fall into. Keep up the good fight.

Handy Fake

Witch hunt?? I didn't know pointing out a bias and a guy who was very wrong about his 13.3 tf predictions was a "witch hunt".

If it is, then what category would insulting people like the df guy and vfx fall into. Keep up the good fight.
That prediction wasn't necessarily wrong though.
If the dev kits were using RDNA1 then they may have been clocked that high to mimic the speed of an RDNA2 at a lower clock.

Jon Neu

Banned
True, but we all should challenge them on the point, there is no need for ad hominem which we see far too often on GAF (not pointing out your post in particular, I am generalising here).

I’ve seen all kinds of people in the industry being questioned about their bias everyday here in GAF. Hell, in this very thread people are calling the DF guys MS fanboys because they don’t believe Hellblade 2 is real.

Or they are saying that what the XsX engineers said is bullshit.

On your first point I dont get excited or impressed with cinematics, only thing I have seen so far whiich looked good was Ratchet gameplay bits, I could see the helath bar and selection of weopons

On that we agree. That’s why I said I’m skeptic about the Hellblade 2 video. It’s just too good to be true.

If they finally deliver, then it would be amazing, but I really doubt it. We need to see gameplay instead of the obvious videos that have deceived us so many times.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Hellblade 2 was a target render. Saying it's in engine, but not running on a XSX, 24 FPS, and letterboxed....

Ninja Theory got some big shoes to fill. Since they were bought by MS, some corners of the internet suddenly turned NT into this industry leading studio, but man. These guys have been around for awhile, we have plenty of games made by NT. The sudden expectation that they are going to make a God of War sized game that looks like the Hellblade 2 cinematic, oof.

If the scope of Hellblade 2 doesn't change much in comparison to Hellblade 1, then it should be possible though.

It's a shame.

I’ve seen all kinds of people in the industry being questioned about their bias everyday here in GAF. Hell, in this very thread people are calling the DF guys MS fanboys because they don’t believe Hellblade 2 is real.

Alex doesn't post here. He's not in the "industry" either by the way, he works at Digital Foundry.

Also, what the XSX engineers said isn't bullshit. It's people like you, who don't understand what it means that spread bullshit about it.

Last edited:

geordiemp

DF are journalists that look at games and comment on effects. Nothing more.

The problem with the MS statements (and often Sony) is they are VAGUE and can be interpreted different ways and obscure / confuse, and its the improper interpretation that is often poor - is it intentional - who knows ?

For example take the 100 GB instant access, does that mean instantly find on SSD your file in 25 microseconds, the word instant access is matketing and vague on purpose i believe. It still has to do all the File OI, file transfer at the SSD speed, decompression and check in and all the other stuff before using that data.

And why 100 GB ? That is also being vague. Windows has a known slow file IO system, possibly MS is working on a different IO system for a portion of the SSD to make it faster, and 100 GB is a typical amount they will use. Maybe its the size of 1 game....Its vague and surrounded by marketing giving promotional words to the work like velocity arcitecture which dont clearly show the real world advances.

It rubs people up as we have all heard about power of the cloud type stuff before start of every generation there is always FLUFF.

If there is faster loading, show it FFS and cut the crap is what everyone wants to see, and then do the talking..

Last edited:

dr guildo

Not even close.

Just the facial animations of Hellblade 2 make anything from this gen look like absolute crap in comparison.

Facial animations are for cinematic purpose only tho. The meaning of my post was especially for the visuals, not the animations which are not ingame, of course.

SleepDoctor

Banned
If the dev kits were using RDNA1 then they may have been clocked that high to mimic the speed of an RDNA2 at a lower clock.

MS revealed 12 tf and if I remember correctly RDNA 2. So I doubt that was a confusing especially considering he is a PSVR dev.

Then you want to be condescending towards people asking you a legitimate question? I said it before the reveals and I still believe anyone who was way off the mark shouldn't be trusted at face value anymore.

If he was pro Xbox the people trying to be friendly towards him would have did the same as you've done to df and vfx.

Jon Neu

Banned
Alex doesn't post here. He's not in the "industry" either by the way, he works at Digital Foundry.

So if he registers all of you who call him an Xbox fanboy would stop to call his bias out?

Please.

Oh, and you like it or not, DF is part of the industry too. They are not developers, but they are the most famous technical analists.

Also, what the XSX engineers said isn't bullshit. It's people like you, who don't understand what it means that spread bullshit about it

Will see if the Sony fans damage control interpretation of what they said is true or the contrary. It’s just a matter of time.

So far what Sony has shown it’s nothing that impressive regarding the SSD.

Jon Neu

Banned
Facial animations are for cinematic purpose only tho. The meaning of my post was especially for the visuals, not the animations which are not ingame, of course.

Cinematic purposes like cutscenes. Cutscenes are important and facial animations in cutscenes are important too, especially in the era of cinematic gaming. And those facial animations in the Hellblade 2 video are simply at another level.

And the visuals too were simply at another level. A level I doubt it can be reached.

Dory16

Banned
I did not bring the 2080 subject up, I was responding to a poster who was implying the extra GHz of Ps5 would have no performance benefit, just look at 2080 ti vs super was his stance.
My bad Geordiemp. Too many messages in the thread to keep track. Wasn't directed personally at you but at whoever was using the argument.
I second your response to that poster.

Thirty7ven

Banned
So if he registers all of you who call him an Xbox fanboy would stop to call his bias out?

Please.

Oh, and you like it or not, DF is part of the industry too. They are not developers, but they are the most famous technical analists.

I don't think he's a Xbox fanboy. He's one of those PC guys who thinks Xbox is ok because it's like PC's little cousin. Digital Foundry is part of the industry in the same way IGN is.

He's not a developer and won't get treated as one.

Will see if the Sony fans damage control interpretation of what they said is true or the contrary. It’s just a matter of time.

So far what Sony has shown it’s nothing that impressive regarding the SSD.

It's a matter of physics. Spreading BS that XSX VA means devs are working with a 100GB/S I/O just makes you look dumb AF.

And let me tell you Jon Neu, I like you. You don't need to be part of that BS.

I agree that aside from RC, it's hard to see how the I/O is having an impact. It will be more on the side of the development, as on our end it will always be hard to see what is it that is being enabled by a faster I/O. Like the U5 demo, if the guys at EPIC hadn't specifically mentioned the I/O was key to what they were showing... How would you tell? It's easier for the end user to notice how it impacts standard loadings and more gimmicky elements like world changes.

Elog

I know we are in for a little bit of tit for tat at the moment regarding the consoles. However, I think we should strive towards looking at the bigger picture. After the GDC talk from Cerny -> UE5 demo -> PS5 event, the one red thread you find when looking at commentary from developers across channels on the net is a fairly significant surprise at the density of textures, the resolution of the textures and the overall resolution of the in-engine graphics. In addition, the RT implementation seems strong and on point. People might not have liked the games, but the graphics when analyzed by people in the know are simply amazing for some of these titles under the assumption that the videos were in-engine rendered without post-processing (which everything points towards). The one thing you can jump on is the 30 FPS where ex-Sony employees (Matt) fairly clearly stated that was a deliberate design choice given the lack of people with the latest HDMI standard on their 4K TVs.

Based on the original specification discussion before all of this happened, this is not something people expected. And it really begs the question what and how Sony has done to the architecture of the PS5 (we know some details around the I/O complex and cache scrubbers but lack many details to this day - the secrecy is clearly deliberate). In addition, since most things point in the direction that the XSX is fundamentally a console build around the PC architecture to a much larger degree than the PS5, it begs the question how the two consoles will compare IRL.

That is at least in my book the current situation. Personally, I am thrilled and very much looking forward to a proper hardware tear down of the PS5 to see what they have actually done to get this kind of horsepower on the screen. The paper specifications clearly do not tell the whole story.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Not even close.

I have yet to see all that shit from Hellblade ingame with ingame models and not a in-engine rendered offline stuff.

Jon Neu

Banned
I don't think he's a Xbox fanboy. He's one of those PC guys who thinks Xbox is ok because it's like PC's little cousin. Digital Foundry is part of the industry in the same way IGN is.

He's not a developer and won't get treated as one.

You are still saying that he has an Xbox bias because he likes the PC.

And DF is part of the industry. Gaf too is also part of the industry ecosystem, they are just two important things in the industry that also bring news, interviews and topics to discuss.

It's a matter of physics. Spreading BS that XSX VA means devs are working with a 100GB/S I/O just makes you look dumb AF.

And let me tell you Jon Neu, I like you. You don't need to be part of that BS.

I’m not a technical guy, but everyday that passes seems that the theorical huge advantadge the SSD of the PS5 has, isn’t that huge in real world perfomance.

Again, time will tell. You talk about the cloud, but I remember perfectly the days of the Cell too.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
Did they mention Kraken or Tempest at all in the "Future of Gaming" show?
Or are you complaining that they mentioned it in the video made for the GDC?
What were they supposed to talk about for the GDC then?
They absolutely have the right to promote whatever they want whenever they choose but to say that "they're only in the business of promoting their games and never their software APIs" is factually incorrect.

dr guildo

Cinematic purposes like cutscenes. Cutscenes are important and facial animations in cutscenes are important too, especially in the era of cinematic gaming. And those facial animations in the Hellblade 2 video are simply at another level.

And the visuals too were simply at another level. A level I doubt it can be reached.

can't facial animations found in Hellblade2 run on PS4 since it is baked ? I don't get your point.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

They absolutely have the right to promote whatever they want whenever they choose but to say that "they're only in the business of promoting their games and never their software APIs" is factually incorrect.
Neither kraken or Tempest Engine are software APIs.
Sony NEVER promotes their software APIs, the little we know about their OS and GNM is from leaks and result of jailbreaks. The NDAs around GNM and GNMX are very strict.
If you have GNM documentation, feel free to share, I would love to see it...

Thirty7ven

Banned
You are still saying that he has an Xbox bias because he likes the PC.

And DF is part of the industry. Gaf too is also part of the industry ecosystem, they are just two important things in the industry that also bring news, interviews and topics to discuss.

What I'm really trying to say is that he doesn't care about Nintendo and has a deep rooted problem with Playstation. That's how it comes across. German guy, big PC country, growing up liked PC's and always bothered him how some kids were all about the Playstation. I don't know this, but it's what it looks like.

I'm allowed to have an opinion based on his behavior. Part of the problem of cultivating a public persona that exposes itself through hundreds of hours of video and audio, is that your bias and your perspectives, they have patterns that become easy to see. And again he's not a developer and it shows, he's a dude that gets his talking points from B3D and it shows.

Richard and John, I like them both. Regardless if they are biased or not, to me it's about how they carry themselves.

I’m not a technical guy, but everyday that passes seems that the theorical huge advantadge the SSD of the PS5 has, isn’t that huge in real world perfomance.

Again, time will tell. You talk about the cloud, but I remember perfectly the days of the Cell too.

Differences between these consoles will never be huge, because it's a physical impossibility. There will be differences though.

The Cloud and the Cell are nothing alike. But I understand where you're coming from.

ethomaz

Banned
I think you need to provide examples, then we can judge whether you've got a point or are just finding bias where none exists.
Five seconds on search feature.

Everybody in GAF at time found the same bias lol
You are just trying to deny it.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
Neither kraken or Tempest Engine are software APIs.
Sony NEVER promotes their software APIs, the little we know about their OS and GNM is from leaks and result of jailbreaks. The NDAs around GNM and GNMX are very strict.
If you have GNM documentation, feel free to share, I would love to see it...
You keep peddling falsehoods.
Not only can Cerny clearly be heard promoting the algorithm used in Kraken during his conference (last time I checked an algorithm was software) but also it is completely irrelevant to the point whether it is software or a hardware chip. Kraken and Tempest are not games and they get plenty of promotion from Sony not just in GDC presentations but internet articles and so on. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, except you inexplicably attempted to declare them above promoting anything other than their games.

Ar¢tos

Not only can Cerny clearly be heard promoting the algorithm used in Kraken during his conference (last time I checked an algorithm was software) but also it is completely irrelevant to the point whether it is software or a hardware chip. Kraken and Tempest are not games and they get plenty of promotion from Sony not just in GDC presentations but internet articles and so on. There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, except you inexplicably attempted to declare them above promoting anything other than their games.
I see gamers talk A LOT more about them than Sony.
I see MS talk about their techs and patents A LOT more than Sony.
How can Sony tell gamers that they can enjoy the quality of Dolby and equivs without the need of licensed equipment if they are not allowed to talk about it?

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I'm allowed to have an opinion based on his behavior. Part of the problem of cultivating a public persona that exposes itself through hundreds of hours of video and audio, is that your bias and your perspectives, they have patterns that become easy to see. And again he's not a developer and it shows, he's a dude that gets his talking points from B3D and it shows.
But developers can be fanboys too, right?

Dory16

Banned
I know we are in for a little bit of tit for tat at the moment regarding the consoles. However, I think we should strive towards looking at the bigger picture. After the GDC talk from Cerny -> UE5 demo -> PS5 event, the one red thread you find when looking at commentary from developers across channels on the net is a fairly significant surprise at the density of textures, the resolution of the textures and the overall resolution of the in-engine graphics. In addition, the RT implementation seems strong and on point. People might not have liked the games, but the graphics when analyzed by people in the know are simply amazing for some of these titles under the assumption that the videos were in-engine rendered without post-processing (which everything points towards). The one thing you can jump on is the 30 FPS where ex-Sony employees (Matt) fairly clearly stated that was a deliberate design choice given the lack of people with the latest HDMI standard on their 4K TVs.

Based on the original specification discussion before all of this happened, this is not something people expected. And it really begs the question what and how Sony has done to the architecture of the PS5 (we know some details around the I/O complex and cache scrubbers but lack many details to this day - the secrecy is clearly deliberate). In addition, since most things point in the direction that the XSX is fundamentally a console build around the PC architecture to a much larger degree than the PS5, it begs the question how the two consoles will compare IRL.

That is at least in my book the current situation. Personally, I am thrilled and very much looking forward to a proper hardware tear down of the PS5 to see what they have actually done to get this kind of horsepower on the screen. The paper specifications clearly do not tell the whole story.
Sorry but it requires intense suspension of disbelief to buy the "we could provide 60 fps but we don't think that your cheap 4k TV can handle it" justification. It's just a bit too convenient for Sony that this suddenly found pro consumer posture puts less strain on their variably clocked architecture. When you think that the PS5 specs declare it 8k capable, it just comes across as even more hypocritical.
I guess they don't care who is able to plays Godfall of Sackboy given that those are (dynamic) 4k60.
They need to give us a break.

Last edited:
Those are important custom hardware components of PS5, not software APIs. When MS talk about features, they are mainly talking about software APIs. The thing is, Sony already have all the same or similar software APIs 'features' on PS5, even if they don't talk about them.

Last edited:

Redlight

Five seconds on search feature.

Everybody in GAF at time found the same bias lol
So, the bias is in your imagination then.

You're reacting to the headline rather than the content just because it doesn't play to your personal bias. The fact that 'everybody in GAF' responded the same way doesn't mean it was a correct response. You get that right?

At that time you wanted to play the 'resolution is king and is the only metric' argument while Playstation had that advantage, just as you want to play 'SSD speed is the only metric' argument now. DF had the temerity to not play along, how dare they! Burn the heretic!

Did you even read the actual article? I'm guessing not because the article takes a calm, reasoned and intelligent approach to the question. A question that was valid then and is still valid now. There is no basis for claiming the DF, or Richard for that matter, have a bias based on the actual content of that piece.

Or are they biased for daring to even ask the question? Are some questions taboo simply because they might inspire thoughts that are a bit too challenging?

I'm sorry but the only bias proven by your link is your own. Not that it was ever in doubt.

RaySoft

Kraken is a software compression/decompression API developed by RAD GameTools.
Sony made a custom decompressor for it in the PS5' hardware.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
So, the bias is in your imagination then.

You're reacting to the headline rather than the content just because it doesn't play to your personal bias. The fact that 'everybody in GAF' responded the same way doesn't mean it was a correct response. You get that right?

At that time you wanted to play the 'resolution is king and is the only metric' argument while Playstation had that advantage, just as you want to play 'SSD speed is the only metric' argument now. DF had the temerity to not play along, how dare they! Burn the heretic!

Did you even read the actual article? I'm guessing not because the article takes a calm, reasoned and intelligent approach to the question. A question that was valid then and is still valid now. There is no basis for claiming the DF, or Richard for that matter, have a bias based on the actual content of that piece.

Or are they biased for daring to even ask the question? Are some questions taboo simply because they might inspire thoughts that are a bit too challenging?

I'm sorry but the only bias proven by your link is your own. Not that it was ever in doubt.
Funny denial.

The articles is just one of the small example of clear bias but you keep the narrative.

Last edited:

Dory16

Banned
Those are important custom hardware components of PS5, not software APIs. When MS talk about features, they are mainly talking about software APIs. The thing is, Sony already have all the same or similar software APIs 'features' on PS5, even if they don't talk about them.
Kraken is based on an algorithm that Sony hasn't written (not that it matters) and Cerny says so in his presentation. Also MS is a software company and software can be proprietary. Good for Sony if they have the same.

jonnyp

On that we agree. That’s why I said I’m skeptic about the Hellblade 2 video. It’s just too good to be true.

If they finally deliver, then it would be amazing, but I really doubt it. We need to see gameplay instead of the obvious videos that have deceived us so many times.

NT have always had amazing performance capture and animation for their cinematics. Not surprised HB2 cinematics look mindblowingly good, they always deliver on that front IMO.

Jayjayhd34

No... that's really not true. Part of why NXGamer even exists is the problems with DF's coverage.

I'm not saying they can't get some things wrong i'm just saying I've personally never seen them outright mislead people to reach total wrong conclusion. Some of examples people are making in this thread regarding them being biased are really of base in my opinion.

Elog

Sorry but it requires intense suspension of disbelief to buy the "we could provide 60 fps but we don't think that your cheap 4k TV can handle it" justification. It's just a bit too convenient for Sony that this suddenly found pro consumer posture puts less strain on their variably clocked architecture. When you think that the PS5 specs declare it 8k capable, it just comes across as even more hypocritical.
I guess they don't care who is able to plays Godfall of Sackboy given that those are (dynamic) 4k60.
They need to give us a break.

I never claimed that....I stated that they aimed for 4K/30 FPS and prioritised graphical fidelity over FPS. That is a trade-off.

I'm not saying they can't get some things wrong i'm just saying I've personally never seen them outright mislead people to reach total wrong conclusion. Some of examples people are making in this thread regarding them being biased are really of base in my opinion.

Proving intent is incredibly hard to do, some of us feel there's at least an inkling of bias to their coverage, though. There's a pretty good video I once saw that went pretty thoroughly through the evidence of such a bias but it often gets discredited because of the personality doing the video, not the evidence. If I find it I'd be fine with linking you via PMs.

Fake

Tired of repeating myself to them. Even the first devkit came with a ridiculous Jaguar CPU plus a RADEON GCN so 13TF or even 15TF is not a crazy ideia if they're trying to mimic or future proof the RDNA 2.0 AMD promisse to them. After AMD start to sending the RDNA 1.0 and eventually RDNA 2.0 they tone down in favor of temperature and energy.

Top Bottom