• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry claims PS5 doesn't exhibit any evidence of VRS(Variable Rate Shading) from PS5 showcase.

MonarchJT

Banned
Answer the question - what do you think XSX implemented on this slide for CU RDNA2 optimisation ?

CfmgLXN.png
did you understand that there's officially just one rdna2 console and is not the ps5? this should answer your question about rdna2 cu design.
all of that if the answer can help you

Last edited:

pyrocro

It seems what they've been telling journalists is the code runs natively without any emulation layer.

Time stamped the most recent reference I know in the video below of the virtualized OS(s).
  • it runs 3 OS
  • the actual game code runs in it's own VM container.
  • Having a virtual machine system setup already provides an established abstraction layer which all Xbox one and seriesX/S games use.
  • having this layer does not mean that the instructions/code is not natively executed on the hardware.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Didn’t Cerny say that they discarded RDNA2 features that are useless for consoles? So, what are you concerned about?
To be fair, he never stated these features were useless for consoles. Sony knew what size die/costs they were going for in relation to their bom, building a console is a balancing act. He removed features that would either be redundant due to custom hardware or the cost reduction was worth the penalty in their eyes. MS did the same thing, they just sunk more of their bom into the Apu.

After seeing the reactions to dualsense, which also ate into the bom, I think they made a good call.

Elias

To be fair, he never stated these features were useless for consoles. Sony knew what size die/costs they were going for in relation to their bom, building a console is a balancing act. He removed features that would either be redundant due to custom hardware or the cost reduction was worth the penalty in their eyes. MS did the same thing, they just sunk more of their bom into the Apu.

After seeing the reactions to dualsense, which also ate into the bom, I think they made a good call.
Most games won't make use of the dual sense features.

MarkMe2525

none will use it in any way that is game design changing, since you can turn off vibration and the triggers in the system menu. so they can basically only be used as a fancy little extra feedback you get.

and especially in competitive shooters that will be the first thing everyone will turn off
On the contrary, it may allow for greater spatial awareness by allowing you to feel the proximity and direction of a player. Another example would be feeling the tension, to measure power needed, on a bowstring or sports game. I'm just going off the digital foundry video where they speak of being able to feel individual rain drops dripping down the controller. I wasn't expecting that level of detail but now that I'm imagining it, there are some real opportunities there. Of course some people will always turn it off.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

History says they won’t be used outside of first party after the first wave of titles. Even first party games likely won’t use them for long.
You can use past happenings as evidence to support the speculation, but it doesn't change what it is. You nor I have played either of these consoles yet. I'll use John and Richard's reaction to the controllers as evidence to my speculation, that I think it's going to be a hit. I am excited to have a series x pre-ordered and won't be getting a ps5 for quite awhile, but their enthusiasm and excitement for the feature has me sold.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
You can use past happenings as evidence to support the speculation, but it doesn't change what it is. You nor I have played either of these consoles yet. I'll use John and Richard's reaction to the controllers as evidence to my speculation, that I think it's going to be a hit. I am excited to have a series x pre-ordered and won't be getting a ps5 for quite awhile, but their enthusiasm and excitement for the feature has me sold.
Are you gonna be optimistic like for every new PR gimmick come every next gen? It's always the same buzz that won't be implemented universally at the end.

MarkMe2525

Are you gonna be optimistic like for every new PR gimmick come every next gen? It's always the same buzz that won't be implemented universally at the end.
If I think something is cool, then yes. "Buzz", "PR" get thrown around here so much you would think we are in a marketing class. Are you excited for a next gen console? If so, you are buying into a companies "buzz and "pr". If your not excited, well then you sir are in idiot for being in this thread.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
If I think something is cool, then yes. "Buzz", "PR" get thrown around here so much you would think we are in a marketing class. Are you excited for a next gen console? If so, you are buying into a companies "buzz and "pr". If your not excited, well then you sir are in idiot for being in this thread.
We had the past data to back up on mine, what says that about you? Still I'm not saying this to tell people what to do or don't, so suit yourself.

I'm just being cautious more or less.

MarkMe2525

We had the past data to back up on mine, what says that about you? Still I'm not saying this to tell people what to do or don't, so suit yourself.

I'm just being cautious more or less.
What are you even talking about? You clearly didn't read my post all the way through. Not a good idea before responding to someone.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
In what context does that have to do with what I said? It's not clear in the slightest. You need to go back and actually read my post in full.
Hmm not sure which one did I misunderstood. You emphasize John's and Richard's enthusiasm and excitement to validate on the feature being a hit, which given the similarities with past gimmicks and their shor term fad, I'm not sure the actual outcome will be the opposite.

Of course we still don't have the console on our hands and maybe the mass market will adopt it, but we'll see. Even Wii motion couldn't last long.

MarkMe2525

Hmm not sure which one did I misunderstood. You emphasize John's and Richard's enthusiasm and excitement to validate on the feature being a hit, which given the similarities with past gimmicks and their shor term fad, I'm not sure the actual outcome will be the opposite.

Of course we still don't have the console on our hands and maybe the mass market will adopt it, but we'll see. Even Wii motion couldn't last long.
Why are you attempting to debate this with me or anyone else for that matter? Dualsense sounds awesome. You know who else thinks it's cool? Literally every reputable outlet who has put out an impression.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
Why are you attempting to debate this with me or anyone else for that matter? Dualsense sounds awesome. You know who else thinks it's cool? Literally every reputable outlet who has put out an impression.

Your also barking up the wrong tree. You jumped into the middle of an exchange and either have no clue or ignoring what the original focus of the conversation was. I have a series x pre-ordered and was just giving Sony props for putting something cool in the box with every ps5.

I read about that already.

Okay, maybe my post came out wrong. I apologize for that. Dualsense is cool, just not sure about the longevity of the feature. That's it.

History says they won’t be used outside of first party after the first wave of titles. Even first party games likely won’t use them for long.
Even a fairly useless feature like the touchpad has been used quite a bit. So, I can only suspect that the DualSense features will be used more commonly given how much praise it is getting.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Even a fairly useless feature like the touchpad has been used quite a bit. So, I can only suspect that the DualSense features will be used more commonly given how much praise it is getting.
The touchpad was barely used outside of first party wasn’t it?

The thing about the dual sense features is nothing about them can be made necessary to the design of the game outside first party exclusives, and even then there’s nothing in the features - haptics and resistance in triggers - that actually does anything different. With the Xbox controller the analogues can just rumble when you hit the “resistance point” on the dual sense. Not exactly the same, but same basic effect and works on all platforms including PC.

Personally I’m not a fan of gimmick features in controllers since it makes backwards compatibility and ports harder. They can be cool at the time, but in 10 years when that console is forgotten and the game is lost in history because it relied on a proprietary hardware feature that is no longer supported, it sucks.

The touchpad was barely used outside of first party wasn’t it?

The thing about the dual sense features is nothing about them can be made necessary to the design of the game outside first party exclusives, and even then there’s nothing in the features - haptics and resistance in triggers - that actually does anything different. With the Xbox controller the analogues can just rumble when you hit the “resistance point” on the dual sense. Not exactly the same, but same basic effect and works on all platforms including PC.

Personally I’m not a fan of gimmick features in controllers since it makes backwards compatibility and ports harder. They can be cool at the time, but in 10 years when that console is forgotten and the game is lost in history because it relied on a proprietary hardware feature that is no longer supported, it sucks.

gotta agree here, it's the reason I can't pass the first level in Killzone 2 on PSnow for PC, because you need some dumb motion feature

FALCON_KICK

Does everyone really like VRS from what was shown in the Halo Infinite screenshots? VRS heavily degrades image quality from what has been presented.

I think only Sony patent which combines VRS with eye-tracking in VR seems to be best use of this tech atleast at theoretical level.

Closer

Does everyone really like VRS from what was shown in the Halo Infinite screenshots? VRS heavily degrades image quality from what has been presented.

I think only Sony patent which combines VRS with eye-tracking in VR seems to be best use of this tech atleast at theoretical level.

It looks mostly fine on Gears Tactics. Halo Infinite is not a graphical benchmark anyways.

Last edited:
Top Bottom