• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry claims PS5 doesn't exhibit any evidence of VRS(Variable Rate Shading) from PS5 showcase.

My friend, that resolution advantage of Xbox is pure myth. All those PS5 games are native 4K.

I disagree with that. The PS5 is certainly capable of running games at 4K. However I'm pretty sure with two games running at native 4K the XSX will have a framerate advantage. And it's completely possible if developers have to drop the resolution to maintain a stable framerate on the PS5.

The question that people are asking is whether these differences will even be noticeable.

geordiemp

I think it is a little early to completely write off VRS as something a next gen console doesn't need whatsoever, but I also think that we need to wait for further details/confirmation. Just because we didn't see overt evidence of it on Thursday doesn't mean PS5 can't do it.

Listen to Cerny again carefully, he calls the geometry engine NEW in ps5 for custom RDN2 and mentions SYNTHESISE GEOMETRY ON THE FLY AS A BRAND NEW CAPABILITY, so unless Cerny is lieing ...TIMESTAMPED.

Cerny said

Performance optimisation such as removing backfaced /removal of vertices and offscreen traingles
= Mesh shaders

Smoothly Varying level of detail
= probably Sonys name for VRS

Its funny how he mentions all these features but he just says what it does without a fancy name lol :messenger_beaming:

Move along, nothing to see here unless the brand new cerny refers to synthesise geometry on the fly is more than RDNA2, we dont know yet

Last edited:

sendit

I disagree with that. The PS5 is certainly capable of running games at 4K. However I'm pretty sure with two games running at native 4K the XSX will have a framerate advantage. And it's completely possible if developers have to drop the resolution to maintain a stable framerate on the PS5.

The question that people are asking is whether these differences will even be noticeable.

Agreed. This should definitely be put to rest. Under a microscope, third party games should run/look better on the XSX. By how much? That’s still up in the air.

However, the gap between the XSX and PS5 is much less in comparison to the X1X vs PS4Pro. Additionally, a recent patch for RE2:Remake required the X1X version to lower its resolution output to match PS4Pro’s frame rate.

Last edited:
I remember putting this thread up awhile back

I think the summary was early form of VRS gave performance boost but hurt image quality (Gears Tactics), but Wolfenstein: Youngblood used more advanced VRS and it gave a nice FPS boost with no IQ hit. So, properly implemented, VRS seems like a nice tool to have. Properly implemented, keyword

geordiemp

I remember putting this thread up awhile back

I think the summary was early form of VRS gave performance boost but hurt image quality (Gears Tactics), but Wolfenstein: Youngblood used more advanced VRS and it gave a nice FPS boost with no IQ hit. So, properly implemented, VRS seems like a nice tool to have. Properly implemented, keyword

Cerny said Ps5 has VRS, but he just described it instead of calling it by the DX12 name. Go watch the video.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Nah, it's a myth. I've never seen anything more impressive on XSX so far, and they already used 2080Ti as XSX gameplay (not the first time)

h1A372434

Let's wait until next July and see what they got.

Last edited:

I want to see what the headroom is used for in games where both consoles can hit 4k/60

Assuming there is a game that both consoles can run equally as well, will the extra headroom on XsX be used for extra settings boosts, etc?

Cerny said Ps5 has VRS, but he just described it instead of calling it by the DX12 name. Go watch the video.

I'm not saying PS5 doesnt have it... I didn't say that in either of my posts this thread. cease fire cease fire

Last edited:

geordiemp

I want to see what the headroom is used for in games where both consoles can hit 4k/60

Assuming there is a game that both consoles can run equally as well, will the extra headroom on XsX be used for extra settings boosts, etc?

I'm not saying PS5 doesnt have it... I didn't say that in either of my posts this thread. I have been diplomatic

Cenry said Ps5 has it in the road to ps5, he just worded it differently to MS and people dont listen.

Last edited:
So you agree with my point. All I’m saying is it doesn’t make sense for DF to even highlight that idea that there was little to no evidence of VRS when VRS is almost impossible to track at higher resolutions in practice.

I get your point but Foveated rendering and VRS are both based on the same principles in that they rely on primitives to determine how and where to adjust the shading rate.

The name VRS™ may be exclusive, but the practice of variable rate shading is not and will never be an exclusive technology. They may get there in different ways, but in practice, RDNA 2/Turing and newer GPUs, XSX, and PS5 will all achieve the same or similar end result of VRS Tier 2.

Here are the links for anyone who wants to take time to learn more:

Cerny patents:
Microsoft VRS:

Yeah, essentially we agree on this. I just wanted to address that I never implied VRS was in itself a technique exclusive to only one platform or one type of GPU or one type of architecture. Just that foveated rendering and VRS are similar/analogous techniques being applied differently in two different aspects.

That's all I wanted to touch on there. VRS as a technique, even if it goes by a different name with another vendor/company, isn't something conceptually exclusive to any one platform holder. So perhaps it's there in some form under a different name on PS5 GPU. Honestly, a deeper dive on the GPU architecture at some point would be much appreciated, but I don't know when Sony is planning to do that. I know MS has one planned for August, if Sony has a similar deeper dive planned I hope it's announced as a future event that take place before September.

Listen to Cerny again carefully, he calls the geometry engine NEW in ps5 for custom RDN2 and mentions SYNTHESISE GEOMETRY ON THE FLY AS A BRAND NEW CAPABILITY, so unless Cerny is lieing ...TIMESTAMPED.

Cerny said

= Mesh shaders

He did say this, but if you read the Eurogamer article (and probably a few other articles, but I haven't re-read any of those), they refer to these as Primitive Shaders. I assume Sony gave them the info for that article to print. At first I though Primitive Shaders was another name for Mesh Shaders, maybe Sony's own name. But there's RDNA/Navi graphics shots out there which list Primitive Shaders themselves.

This also extends to the Geometry Engine; again I thought at first it was Sony's own wording for a certain standardized RDNA hardware feature, but AMD uses that term themselves for a component of RDNA/Navi.

I think some form of VRS has probably been added here, it would make the most logical sense. More official clarification would be nice.

Last edited:

geordiemp

I'm not the enemy bro. I think you misread my two posts, which are both on this page. I never said it doesn't have it. I am not piling on some PS5 hate here, far from it. More power to the PS5.

I know, I am not fighting, its just weird that so many posts about RDNA1, mesh shaders, VRS and nobody actually listened to the road to ps5 thats all. He answered each point clearly.

However, the gap between the XSX and PS5 is much less in comparison to the X1X vs PS4Pro.

You make a good point there. I'm definitely not expecting the XSX to run games at double the framerate at double the resolution. The differences in performance won't be staggering between the two. Heck the biggest different is the I/O but I'm not expecting it to be massive.

geordiemp

You make a good point there. I'm definitely not expecting the XSX to run games at double the framerate at double the resolution. The differences in performance won't be staggering between the two. Heck the biggest different is the I/O but I'm not expecting it to be massive.

I am not expecting any difference at all 3rd party. Destiny is already 4k60 on both, I bet vikings with be 4k30 on both.

Once ps5 goes native 4K30 and ray tracing, what enhancement are you expecting, there is no where to go. More reflections maybe ?

I am not expecting any difference at all 3rd party. Destiny is already 4k60 on both, I bet vikings with be 4k30 on both.

Once ps5 goes native 4K30 and ray tracing, what enhancement are you expecting, there is no where to go. More reflections maybe ?

I'm expecting the XSX to have better ray tracing. But Im not sure what else it will have besides an increase in resolution and slightly better framerate.

geordiemp

Yeah, essentially we agree on this. I just wanted to address that I never implied VRS was in itself a technique exclusive to only one platform or one type of GPU or one type of architecture. Just that foveated rendering and VRS are similar/analogous techniques being applied differently in two different aspects.

That's all I wanted to touch on there. VRS as a technique, even if it goes by a different name with another vendor/company, isn't something conceptually exclusive to any one platform holder. So perhaps it's there in some form under a different name on PS5 GPU. Honestly, a deeper dive on the GPU architecture at some point would be much appreciated, but I don't know when Sony is planning to do that. I know MS has one planned for August, if Sony has a similar deeper dive planned I hope it's announced as a future event that take place before September.

He did say this, but if you read the Eurogamer article (and probably a few other articles, but I haven't re-read any of those), they refer to these as Primitive Shaders. I assume Sony gave them the info for that article to print. At first I though Primitive Shaders was another name for Mesh Shaders, maybe Sony's own name. But there's RDNA/Navi graphics shots out there which list Primitive Shaders themselves.

This also extends to the Geometry Engine; again I thought at first it was Sony's own wording for a certain standardized RDNA hardware feature, but AMD uses that term themselves for a component of RDNA/Navi.

I think some form of VRS has probably been added here, it would make the most logical sense. More official clarification would be nice.

Listen to the time stamped cerny video carefully, Cerny said new geometry engine for RDNA2, then he describes Mesh shaders and VRS without using the DX12 names.

He also said a brand new geometry engine feature - synthesised geometry on the fly, I need to watch MS -mesh shaders again to see if its unique or not - have you heard of that feature ?

Last edited:

sendit

Destiny 2 maybe 4K60 on both. However, I suspect the XSX may use the extra grunt for higher graphical fidelity. Again, how much higher is still up in the air. It wouldn't be wise to discount the teraflop advantage of the XSX.

geordiemp

I'm expecting the XSX to have better ray tracing. But Im not sure what else it will have besides an increase in resolution and slightly better framerate.

I am expecting them to be the same. Last gen 4k60, current gen games 4K30 RT or 1600p60

Destiny 2 maybe 4K60 on both. However, I suspect the XSX may use the extra grunt for higher graphical fidelity. Again, how much higher is still up in the air. It wouldn't be wise to discount the teraflop advantage of the XSX.

What do you mean high fidelity = both are same resolution, and if you think Xsx will stream high detail assets from the SSD better than Ps5 I think you have not been reading much.

Last edited:

Cerny said

= Mesh shaders

Its funny how he mentions all these features but he just says what it does without a fancy name lol :messenger_beaming:

Move along, nothing to see here unless the brand new cerny refers to synthesise geometry on the fly is more than RDNA2, we dont know yet

I don't know if the PS5 uses VRS or not, but this is a reach at best.

geordiemp

I don't know if the PS5 uses VRS or not, but this is a reach at best.

What do you think VRS is, it varies the level of detail in parts of the image. Do you think its magic ?

What did cerny say about some of new ps5 RDNA 2 Geometry engine features, Smoothly Varying level of detail was one of them.

People dont listen, he said it but did not use the DX12 or the Nvidia name for it. Duh ?

How is it reaching when cerny clearly said it ? Youre not listening and hear what you want to hear. I time stamped the video in my earlier post.

Last edited:

Banned

GTA Vice City is 480p30 on both the PS2 and the Xbox.

but a single look at them and you'll instantly see the difference.

so final framebuffer resolution is not everything there is.
shadow resolution, resolution of effects like smoke etc., stability of the target framerate, draw distance (not only for objects but for shadows etc. as well, which is GPU intensive) or the amount/fidelity of reflections as you said...

there won't be any giant difference but improvements in the detail will of course always be possible
the only part of the hardware that's hard to judge is the raytracing capabilities of both, it's hard to say what 40% more RT "cores" (or intersection engines, or whatever AMD calls them) actually mean in the end.

Guys you know what I find weird is Digital Foundry head honcho Richard Leadbetter, guy looks like he's pushing 55 yet he still indulges in the console wars. Well, to be fair, I know that's what gets the clicks but jeez man, it's not a good look.

The Warz is a young man's game (or actually, for those in their 30s too), so step aside Rich. But don't let that annoying dweeb Dictator take over the reigns. I think I want to see Dark1OX as the new supremo.

Clintizzle

Lord of Edge.
Nah, it's a myth. I've never seen anything more impressive on XSX so far, and they already used 2080Ti as XSX gameplay (not the first time)

h1A372434

Let's wait until next July and see what they got.
No one has seen any gameplay from Xbox Series X first party.

Also, how the fuck do you claim that they were showing XsX games on 2080 using a picture for a Xbox one stand....

Embarrassing yourself, mate.

What do you think VRS is, it varies the level of detail in parts of the image.

What did cerny say about some of new ps5 RDNA 2 Geometry engine features, Smoothly Varying level of detail.

People dont listen, he said it just did not use the DX12 name.

VRS assigns values to areas of a frame and lowers the resolution in areas where it doesn't really need full resolution. Essentially you can focus your rendering power to areas of the image where it will have the most impact.

It's one tool in the toolbox, not the only one. When you use all the new next gen tools available and you pair them with the hot new rendering power you get results orders of magnitude greater than what more rendering power alone can achieve. It's like getting a new car with more horsepower AND a better transmission AND you we're able to lower the cars weight with lighter materials to allow the same horsepower to make you even faster.

Banned
PSVR is 1080x960 per eye. Not 1080p.

It's also not 240hz. It's 120.

also they usually don't run at the native resolution of the PSVR on base PS4. the Pro usually pushes them to full resolution but on base hardware you rarely get a native resolution game if the game is demanding

also, almost all of them run at 90fps not 120fps.
only a handful of games actually go for 120fps

Last edited:

geordiemp

The XSX GPU is more powerful so there will be some differenced. I don't expect both versions of multiplats to be the same.

XSX has 15 or 18 % more TF yes (up or down).

PS5 has 22 % more GPU base clock, so will do other GPU stuff faster....unknown steps down I agree probably 2 % if we believe Cerny but he was vague. Ps5 and sony tend to have less abstraction apis which will also close the gap a little

Both have similar Mesh shaders and VRS vs new Geometry engine sony call it (sounds like same shit), I dont know what the implication of the Cache scrubbers and coherency engines are, both will help, or the processing geometry on the fly new Geometry engine feature Cerny mentioned...I dont know what that would entail.

Much of a muchness....I expect same fidelity stuff from MS in July.

Last edited:

geordiemp

VRS assigns values to areas of a frame and lowers the resolution in areas where it doesn't really need full resolution. Essentially you can focus your rendering power to areas of the image where it will have the most impact.

It's one tool in the toolbox, not the only one. When you use all the new next gen tools available and you pair them with the hot new rendering power you get results orders of magnitude greater than what more rendering power alone can achieve. It's like getting a new car with more horsepower AND a better transmission AND you we're able to lower the cars weight with lighter materials to allow the same horsepower to make you even faster.

Smoothly lowering level of detail - what do you think Cerny meant by that ?

Good for racers..

Sony also have a patent for a type of VRS with eye tracking, do you think they would leave the feature out ?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
PSVR is 1080x960 per eye. Not 1080p.

It's also not 240hz. It's 120.

Of course, large frame sensors require optics that can cover the sensor, and ... at 48-fps would see the same frame flashed twice per second (called, “double flashing”). This frame rate results in each eye seeing 96-fps and 192-fps overall,

We also have to remember that VR headsets render to two screens (one per eye). So the number of draw calls is actually doubled!

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
Isn't VRS a MS patented tech? It would make sense the PS5 doesn't have it, and I'm sure Sony has some tech as well that MS doesn't. They both worked with AMD on RDNA2 and I sincerely doubt they'd allow the competitor to use their advancements.

Edit: to clarify, Sony may be using their own similar tech, they have the parents, but it won't be VRS. And the geometry engine being in the AMD roadmap wouldn't matter, if it's a tech co-developed with Sony the Xbox wouldn't have it.

Last edited:

BGs

Industry Professional
2 * 120Hz screens is still 120Hz, it's like the bits, bandwidth, etc, you can't just add them like that.

BGs BGs is a VR dev, I hope he can help us here, if that won't break any NDA.

I don't know if I'm exactly understanding the doubt.

HZ is one thing and frames are another. And they don't always go hand in hand. But for this there is synchronization. In the case of having two screens of 120Hz each, in perfect synchronization you should be able to calculate 120FPS on each screen. If those FPS are calculated by a single GPU, that GPU should be able to calculate 240FPS in total.

I don't know if that was the question to be solved or if I haven't understood it correctly?

geordiemp

Isn't VRS a MS patented tech? It would make sense the PS5 doesn't have it, and I'm sure Sony has some tech as well that MS doesn't. They both worked with AMD on RDNA2 and I sincerely doubt they'd allow the competitor to use their advancements.

Sony also patented lower resolution around what your looking at for VR, they both have given it different names. Cerny called it smoothly lowering level of detail (SLLD lol, same shit). VRS is DX12 name patented for Dx12.

Do Nvidia also call it VRS lol ?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't know if I'm exactly understanding the doubt.

HZ is one thing and frames are another. And they don't always go hand in hand. But for this there is synchronization. In the case of having two screens of 120Hz each, in perfect synchronization you should be able to calculate 120FPS on each screen. If those FPS are calculated by a single GPU, that GPU should be able to calculate 240FPS in total.

I don't know if that was the question to be solved or if I haven't understood it correctly?

That's it, thanks for confirmation, there are some people around here who aren't familiar with how VR works.

LostDonkey

Of course, large frame sensors require optics that can cover the sensor, and ... at 48-fps would see the same frame flashed twice per second (called, “double flashing”). This frame rate results in each eye seeing 96-fps and 192-fps overall,

We also have to remember that VR headsets render to two screens (one per eye). So the number of draw calls is actually doubled!

Hope this helps.
Not really. The breakout box is already doubling the frame rate to 120 from 60 if a game runs at 60 natively. If a game runs at 90fps say, the box doesn't double the rate.

It's not taking a 120fps native frame rate and doubling it to 240.

Also what you're failing to understand is PSVR does not have a screen per eye. It has one screen unlike other VR headsets.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not really. The breakout box is already doubling the frame rate to 120 from 60 if a game runs at 60 natively. If a game runs at 90fps say, the box doesn't double the rate.

It's not taking a 120fps native frame rate and doubling it to 240.

LostDonkey

PSVR is a single screen headset. It does not have a screen per eye.

Top Bottom