• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] COD Black Ops Cold War: PS5 vs Xbox Series X - Ray Tracing, 120Hz Mode Tests + Series S Analysis!

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
120hz mode is cool. Makes things incredibly fluid and smooth. I love how they’re giving us so many more options this generation in terms of performance modes; I really hope this continues

Last edited:

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Fixed:

KQcayXl.png

zUjJV5r.gif

Redlancet

Banned
I can say the same about dualsense, it has the sticks in the bottom and it´s a big issue to play in competitive games, also this gamepad is very heavy and big.
nah,stop streading bs,dualsense is awesome,the sooner you accept that the less if gonna hurt on the long term

eNT1TY

Someone or something fucked up big time when the stronger console is trading blows with the weaker one consistently. Parity should not have been possible and all these recent releases 99 percent of the time both games are indistinguishable. The dropped frames for Xbox in 120hz mode account for less than a fraction of a percent of an entire play through and the dropped frames on 60hz rt mode of ps5 also account for lest than a fraction of a percent of an entire play through. Xbox should be maintaining a lead of atleast 20% across the board 100 percent of the time in all modes, the green bar and the blue bars should NEVER be touching. For every second the xbox or ps5 is ahead in frame rate they are dead even the rest of the time. Until that changes PS5 wins ever single one of these comparisons by virtue of the xbox flatly underperforming. There is no victory to be had for a 7th grader when he is trading blows with a 4th grader in the playground.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Ouch. Cod and dmc5 seems to show a glimpse of what SX can deliver over time. At best graphics settings, we are seeing a small but consistent win on SX.

It also seems 120hz on SX may need more mature dev/profiling tools. Normally, you win max settings, you win high fps too. It's unlikely a cpu bottleneck for SX.

Can't wait for wave2 of next gen games, devs will get more time they need to utilize MS GDK. :messenger_ok:

According to VG Tech, this drop is random on the PlayStation 5.

EteydWB.png
jrYcLre.png

BeardGawd

Banned
Someone or something fucked up big time when the stronger console is trading blows with the weaker one consistently. Parity should not have been possible and all these recent releases 99 percent of the time both games are indistinguishable. The dropped frames for Xbox in 120hz mode account for less than a fraction of a percent of an entire play through and the dropped frames on 60hz rt mode of ps5 also account for lest than a fraction of a percent of an entire play through. Xbox should be maintaining a lead of atleast 20% across the board 100 percent of the time in all modes, the green bar and the blue bars should NEVER be touching. For every second the xbox or ps5 is ahead in frame rate they are dead even the rest of the time. Until that changes PS5 wins ever single one of these comparisons by virtue of the xbox flatly underperforming. There is no victory to be had for a 7th grader when he is trading blows with a 4th grader in the playground.
As games use more NextGen effects expect the gap to widen. PS5 excels for lastgen engines and effects. They have to turn off all Nextgen effects for 120fps modes.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

That’s like saying you finished the race half an hour after everybody, but it’s still a win for you because you’re fat and you smoke.

reinking

Gold Member
Unfortunately, it appears that visuals were cut down on the series x and s to maintain a competing frame rate against the ps5. I don't know why digital foundry didn't notice

IMG_1606180007148.jpg
I don't think it was cut down. I think that is an explosion that happened to be in frame on the PS5 version and they are not lined up exactly. Unless you are seeing something else.

Kind of funny how much negativity can be taken away from a video in which DF had so many positive things to say. This goes for both sides.

FrankWza

That’s like saying you finished the race half an hour after everybody, but it’s still a win for you because you’re fat and you smoke.
No it’s not. It’s like telling everyone you’re going to win a race by a half an hour every time you race and then you lose every race by a few seconds to a minute. Because that’s what was happening for about 6 months and that’s what’s happening now. It wasn’t supposed to even be close. Hhahaha

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Sorry but who is vgtech?

You were in comparison threads that featured his content and now you want to ask me "Who is Vgtech"?

thelastword

Banned
So just going to ignore how the PS5 drops to near 30 fps in raytracing, 60fps mode but the XsX has zero issues?
Do you remember a time when there was a particular issue on XBOX where some quite a few game's performance got worse as they played on and Dark10x constantly restarted his XBOX to ensure he got the right framerates? I think it was Tomb Raider, well that was one game in many which showed the issue, if have been following faceoffs....

So PS drops in cutscenes and immediately the dialogue changes, no more "Explain this to me John", it's straight to.... "PS has been winning many faceoffs, don't know what's that about", to in this faceoff "Series X takes a MASSIVE lead in the raytracing 60fps mode"......No curiosity, It's clearly no bug on PS5 you see, was the developer informed? I guess not, it's not like this is par for the course for PS5 so far now is it.....

So apart from PS5 having better lighting, better textures, more effects/smoke whilst firing guns...Vgtech specifically said that the PS5 will drop frames in one scene and when he restarts that scene it runs perfectly locked........I guess bugs can only happen on one console....I hope Raven Software was contacted by our gesticulating friend.....I mean he always contact the devs when bugs appear right?

Vgtech was transparent and fair enough to reveal this, 8 days ago.....
There was an issue on PS5 where the frame rate could randomly drop below 60fps during scenes that it previously ran at a solid 60fps. This issue wasn't encountered on Xbox Series X.

Wow, can you imagine what the real stats are when they run the game unaffected by the bug..........The stats..

xXX5HRD.png

NFhFD5i.png

Look at all the specs, 4k mode, percentage of the game being run at 16.67MS, identical....The only difference is in the 120 mode which PS5 wins and PS5 has less torn frames too along with better effects....

I hope the developer is made aware of the bug, can't wait for them to fix this......

The series s version is a total mess! Low quality textures, no RT, no 120hz mode no shadows etc
dafuq?!

9yeNBYG.jpg

gtRZDQI.jpg
Well Series S is whatever the series X is doing at 1440p....It's why 1440p support was such a a gamechanging feature prior to launch...

Do you remember a time when there was a particular issue on XBOX where some quite a few game's performance got worse as they played on and Dark10x constantly restarted his XBOX to ensure he got the right framerates? I think it was Tomb Raider, well that was one game in many which showed the issue, if have been following faceoffs....

So PS drops in cutscenes and immediately the dialogue changes, no more "Explain this to me John", it's straight to.... "PS has been winning many faceoffs, don't know what's that about", to in this faceoff "Series X takes a MASSIVE lead in the raytracing 60fps mode"......No curiosity, It's clearly no bug on PS5 you see, was the developer informed? I guess not, it's not like this is par for the course for PS5 so far now is it.....

So apart from PS5 having better lighting, better textures, more effects/smoke whilst firing guns...Vgtech specifically said that the PS5 will drop frames in one scene and when he restarts that scene it runs perfectly locked........I guess bugs can only happen on one console....I hope Raven Software was contacted by our gesticulating friend.....I mean he always contact the devs when bugs appear right?

Wow, can you imagine what the real stats are when they run the game unaffected by the bug..........The stats..

xXX5HRD.png

NFhFD5i.png

Look at all the specs, 4k mode, percentage of the game being run at 16.67MS, identical....The only difference is in the 120 mode which PS5 wins and PS5 has less torn frames too along with better effects....

I hope the developer is made aware of the bug, can't wait for them to fix this......

Well Series S is whatever the series X is doing at 1440p....It's why 1440p support was such a a gamechanging feature prior to launch...

Wow.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You were in comparison threads that featured his content and now you want to ask me "Who is Vgtech"?

You’re falling for the trolling.

anothertech

If it's parity, it's a win for PS5. Cause it's $100 less.

If ps5 performs better in any mode, Xbox is inexplicably fucked. Cause it's $100 more.

Everyone has already dismissed S, because it is a joke.

Sony: 4
MS: 0

Dam. No one predicted this.

Last edited:

xXX5HRD.png

NFhFD5i.png

Very good post. Looks like, outside the bug, it’s essentially parity between PS5 and XSX with the PS5 looking slightly better on 60fps RT.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
If it's parity, it's a win for PS5. Cause it's $100 less.

If ps5 performs better in any mode, Xbox is inexplicably fucked. Cause it's $100 more.

Everyone has already dismissed S, because it is a joke.

Sony: 4
MS: 0

Dam. No one predicted this.

Thats wierd I swear they were the same price for most buyers, the people on this board said they were buying the disc version. Plus sony sold like 8 ps5 digital, so it's largely irrelevant.

In addition, the series X offers a way better value long term if you want to get into price, with gamepass just flat out saving gamers money.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Why you act like the PS5 RT mode runs at 40fps all the time? As far as DF has shown, it only dipped in cutscenes and certain scenarios. It’s 60fps almost all the time during actual gameplay.

Certain scenarios = big set pieces.

Why am I bringing this up? Not to be punitive, but after looking at the chest-thumping in the Valhalla and Watch Dogs threads, fair is fair.

Half the names in here disappeared for a week. Now out like roaches.

For a tie!
Yeah I see some familiar roaches that went AWOL.
Some of these roaches are calling a win for Series X when even Digital Foundry says both games perform equally well.

The desperation levels for any sort of a win BUAHAHA !!!

It's a bigger difference than what they showed with Valhalla. I called this shit a while ago for all the die hard Sony Ponies. SX gonna get some wins, PS5 will get some wins, we'll start seeing the SX pull away as we get further in the Gen. But again, when the differences are like this, it's like a tallest midget contest, only people that care are the ones emotionally invested in it. Neither consoles "wins" are so drastic that it's give either camp buyers remorse so it'll just entrench all the mouth breathers to fight even harder for their preferred plastic and the cycle continues. PC gamers just have to sit and laugh.

timmyp53

When cyberpunk is showing same results, parity in normal mode, 120fps edge to ps5...

Some people gonna lose their shit.
It's looking very likely that game runs suboptimal on PS4/Xbox One(X1X should be better). Who knows when next gen versions will come out. Its gonna be awhile.

Top Bottom