• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Crash Bandicoot 4 Tech Review

Armorian

Banned

Resolution:

- 900p dynamic on X1
- 1080p dynamic on PS4
- 1080p dynamic on PS4 Pro
- 1080p dynamic with 4K HUD on X1X

Performance:

- unlocked framerate (30-40) on X1
- unlocked framerate (30-45) on PS4
- 60 with drops to ~50 on Pro
- 60 with some minor drops on X1X

Summary: PS4 versions have some advantages in how ambient occlusion works, shadows and some textures have higher resolution but overall X1X version is the best with most stable framerate. PS4 and X1 versions are horrible OTOH, shit frame pacing and judder. Simple 30fps lock would fix this.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

God could they really not have got a game like this running at a proper 60fps?

And a properly boosted resolution on the Pro consoles?

Seems pretty disappointing.

Riky

$MSFT
"PS4 versions have some advantages in how ambient occlusion works, shadows and some textures have higher resolution"

Maybe the cheque didn't clear in time🤣

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I don't get how both PS4, PS4 PRO & XOX
have 1080p Dynamic Resolution
They better not be gimping current gen Pro consoles to make their Next-Gen versions look better

Last edited:

FeldMonster

Resolution:

- 900p dynamic on X1
- 1080p dynamic on PS4
- 1080p dynamic on PS4 Pro
- 1080p dynamic with 4K HUD on X1X

Performance:

- unlocked framerate (30-40) on X1
- unlocked framerate (30-45) on PS4
- 60 with drops to ~50 on Pro
- 60 with some minor drops on X1X

Summary: PS4 versions have some advantages in how ambient occlusion works, shadows and some textures have higher resolution but overall X1X version is the best with most stable framerate. PS4 and X1 versions are horrible OTOH, shit frame pacing and judder. Simple 30fps lock would fix this.

Actually, the unlocked framerate on the base consoles may be a good thing, at least on Xbox, as the Series S will play it at 60 fps, instead of being forever stuck at 30. The 900p though.....

Armorian

Banned
Actually, the unlocked framerate on the base consoles may be a good thing, at least on Xbox, as the Series S will play it at 60 fps, instead of being forever stuck at 30. The 900p though.....

Yep, only series S might benefit from this. I hope they will add 30fps option for PS4 and X1, it's UE4 so it couldn't be that fucking hard LOL

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Damn those abbreviations, how should I know what OTOH means, whatever come for technical breakdown, stayed for education.

nkarafo

I still don't know what it is that makes these graphics pretty unimpressive to me. It looks like a mobile game on steroids of something.

As far as cartoon-style visuals go, Mario Kart 8 and Plants VS Zombies Garden Warfare 2 are still the best looking for me.

Edit: Now that i think of it, it's maybe because everything looks like it's made by the same material.

Weve finally reached Toy Story graphics
Nah.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
If the PS4 versions had worse textures, shadows and effects maybe their framerate would be as high as XBONEX.....

Still with better quality IQ, PRO just drops a few frames less than XBONEX.....I'd rather that because it means it will look better on PS5 with BC.....

DonMigs85

If there's ever a PC version it looks like the RX 580 and GTX 1060 will only be good for 1080p60 like the enhanced consoles.

Neo_game

I don't get how both PS4, PS4 PRO & XOX
have 1080p Dynamic Resolution
They better not be gimping current gen Pro consoles to make their Next-Gen versions look better

I think this is definitely going to happen for current and next gen as well. I does not matter what Sony or Microsoft want to advertise their console. Game dev will do what they think is best for the game. 4K 60/120 fps, RT and for SS 1440P 60/120fps is just marketing purpose.

Top Bottom