• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Exclusive: Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition Analysis - The First Triple-A Ray Tracing Game

MarkMe2525

I've been waiting for this. I played through the first 3 levels when it was on gamepass and enjoyed it. Great excuse to revisit and complete.

Edit: I thought this was the console update initially.

Last edited:

jaysius

Banned
I wish the AI in this were better, the original release was so buggy on Xbox One that it left a bad taste in my mouth. The AI really shits the bed mid game and never really recovers, it's "there's the player lets run at him head first!"

The story was ok though.

Last edited:

Elias

People don't realize that the title is referring to the fact this game will only run on ray tracing capable hardware after the update.

Anyway, this game makes heavy use of of hardware VRS.... gonna be interesting to see how the PS5 copes since it lacks that feature and the devs have already confirmed they're using a software solution for that platform (which is inherently inferior).

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I’m confused here. Wasn’t Spiderman a AAA game with ray tracing? Prior to the release of Metro with Ray Tracing added?

Ah! Sry my bad they are purely talking about PC here.
Slippery Slope. Wasnt a full priced game. Granted Exodus wont be either when this is released. So nothing makes sense.

I’m confused here. Wasn’t Spiderman a AAA game with ray tracing? Prior to the release of Metro with Ray Tracing added?

Ah! Sry my bad they are purely talking about PC here.

What they mean is that this is the first AAA game that ONLY runs with ray tracing. This isnt launching with ray tracing as an option. This game doesnt run on any hardware other than nvidia 2xxx and 3xxx series. Thats it. Ray tracing is not an option in this release - it IS the game. It says in the video the team went back and redone all the game with ray traced ligthning in mind and only ray traced lightning. Theres no hibrid rendering here

Last edited:
What they mean is that this is the first AAA game that ONLY runs with ray tracing. This isnt launching with ray tracing as an option. This game doesnt run on any hardware other than nvidia 2xxx and 3xxx series. Thats it. Ray tracing is not an option in this release - it IS the game. It says in the video the team went back and redone all the game with ray traced ligthning in mind and only ray traced lightning. Theres no hibrid rendering here

Wonder what VFXVeteran VFXVeteran has to say about this.

ncZpIwM.jpg

VFXVeteran

Banned

THIS is IT!!!

No other game compares. Now we are in the offline rendering realm.

I hope most of you guys pay REALLY close attention to how the difference in lighting is. That is what I'm used to seeing. Once you go real accurate bounced lighting, everything else is fake garbage.

4A has just jumped to the most technical graphics gurus in the videogame world. They are true wizards!

Last edited:

Lethal01

And so the revolution truly begins.

Raytracing isn't inherently better or better looking, but it's a perfect tool for what is sadly what many many game devs aim for these days.
I'd much rather have more Guilty Gear Strives and ratchet and Clanks, but if a game is aiming for full-on realism RT is key.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
Yep. Officially it would be the first real next-gen game.

VFXVeteran

Banned

Raytracing isn't inherently better or better looking, but it's a perfect tool for what is sadly what many many game devs aim for these days.
I'd much rather have more Guilty Gear Strives and ratchet and Clanks, but if a game is aiming for full-on realism RT is key.
It *IS* better looking. You can take ANY game right now and then do the entire RT lighting pipeline and it will look significantly better than it's rasterizing trick 2D screenspace crap.

Last edited:

cromofo

It *IS* better looking. You can take ANY game right now and then do the entire RT lighting pipeline and it will look significantly better than it's rasterizing trick 2D screenspace crap.
The key word is realistic. Raytraced lighting is the most realistic lighting there is.

Some games might not want to be realistic, so "better looking" is a bit subjective.

You only need to look at how transformative Quake 2 RTX is next to the original Quake 2. RT absolutely is better. And as we advance and it will slowly start to replace rasterisation, in theory games should have faster releases because this greately speeds the process up

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I thought Battlefield V looked pretty good with RTX On, are you saying BFV is not at least close to this? Or was it just like Raytraced reflections?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Well, they literally already have an RT off version that came out in 2019.

The title of the thread is wrong. It says The First RT-Only Triple-A Game. Assets and models still look like garbage but the improvement in lighting is impressive.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
I thought Battlefield V looked pretty good with RTX On, are you saying BFV is not at least close to this?
I'm not comparing different games since it's purely subjective.

If DICE revamped their BFV with a pure RT lighting pipeline, you will notice the difference just like you see with Metro.

You just have to pay attention to the comparisons of rasterizing and RT to tell there is a remarked difference in quality and accuracy.

Pretty much every game right now doesn't have a full on RT lighting pipeline. I've complained about this for years. It's not enough to do one RT feature but not all the others. It still won't look right.

Last edited:

cromofo

I thought Battlefield V looked pretty good with RTX On, are you saying BFV is not at least close to this?
Doesn't BFV only have ray-traced reflections? A WW2 game with ray-traced reflections doesn't really benefit from it much visually, especially when you take the performance hit into consideration.

But any game that strives to be realistic graphically, will look unmistakeably better fully raytraced.

ethomaz

Banned
What??? Nothing? This is it boys!!! Holy grail of lighting!
This game already has RT in PC.

This version is just a new patch specifically for RTX cards... so it can take better use of the RT features in theory.

But it is really just that... nothing more.
It is not a new game or either a new RT push... it is just a better RT push specifically for some cards.

The base, assets and everything else is still the game with the game already launched on PC. It is not a game make from the ground for RT.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Nah, often inaccurate shaders and lighting look better than perfectly accurate things, even in realistic games. Sometimes the falloff of a light not being physically correct makes the scene more interesting, Sometimes a shader breaking conversation of energy and picking up global illumination from outside despite inside enhancing the look. Sometimes shadows not appearing on some objects gives the game a nice look.

this is fantastic that this is a free upgrade for pc as well. great news and customer support imo! fantastic game too. i do agree about the comments with the enemy AI though. other than that, it's great.

THIS is IT!!!

No other game compares. Now we are in the offline rendering realm.

I hope most of you guys pay REALLY close attention to how the difference in lighting is. That is what I'm used to seeing. Once you go real accurate bounced lighting, everything else is fake garbage.

4A has just jumped to the most technical graphics gurus in the videogame world. They are true wizards!
Ratchet and Clank looks better

VFXVeteran

Banned
Nah, often inaccurate shaders and lighting look better than perfectly accurate things, even in realistic games. Sometimes the falloff of a light not being physically correct makes the scene more interesting, Sometimes a shader breaking conversation of energy and picking up global illumination from outside despite inside enhancing the look. Sometimes shadows not appearing on some objects gives the game a nice look.
I'm not going to get into with you dude. It's objectively true that a all RT lighting pipeline will make the game look better than it's rasterizing equivalent with everything else being the exact same.

Top Bottom