• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Exclusive: Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition Analysis - The First Triple-A Ray Tracing Game

HAL-01

This game already has RT in PC.

This version is just a new patch specifically for RTX cards... so it can take better use of the RT features in theory.

But it is really just that... nothing more.
It is not a new game or either a new RT push... it is just a better RT push specifically for some cards.

The base, assets and everything else is still the game with the game already launched on PC. It is not a game make from the ground for RT.
For once I agree with VFX, please watch the video

The difference between the old and new version is huge, and most of these features are also coming to the console version of the game

Lethal01

I'm not going to get into with you dude. It's objectively true that a all RT lighting pipeline will make the game look better than it's rasterizing equivalent with everything else being the exact same.

It's not objectively true for all games. Especially ones with a hint of stylization. Even for movies, I've gotten better-looking scenes by using a rasterized pipeline at specific times.

But hey I'll put it aside, this is a time for celebration and this specific game along with MANY others definitely looks better with raytracing.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
For once I agree with VFX, please watch the video

The difference between the old and new version is huge, and most of these features are also coming to the console version of the game
I did not say anything about not being better... in fact I said it is a better implementation of RT specific for RTX cards.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
THIS is IT!!!

No other game compares. Now we are in the offline rendering realm.

I hope most of you guys pay REALLY close attention to how the difference in lighting is. That is what I'm used to seeing. Once you go real accurate bounced lighting, everything else is fake garbage.

4A has just jumped to the most technical graphics gurus in the videogame world. They are true wizards!

True story sir.

Shai-Tan

Banned
It *IS* better looking. You can take ANY game right now and then do the entire RT lighting pipeline and it will look significantly better than it's rasterizing trick 2D screenspace crap.

I think this is true overall, however because RT requires optimizations that then require significant noise reduction there are tradeoffs that will reduce clarity; it's definitely worth it here in my opinion but not a free lunch

cromofo

That's a huge leap, damn.
GwqWyir.png

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
I’m confused here. Wasn’t Spiderman a AAA game with ray tracing? Prior to the release of Metro with Ray Tracing added?

Ah! Sry my bad they are purely talking about PC here.

Metro Enhanced has pure RT, no raster or baking so its RT only.
Everything prior is basically a Rasterized game with RT pasted on.
As for QRT and MinecraftRT they arent AAA titles.

And for those that think Metro isnt AAA "sure".

Ulysses 31

RT seems like an improvement most of the time but they're still using tricks with the contact shadows. When a light source is moving like in the flash light example at around 8:10, the chair shadows should be moving too, not just get darker or blend into the environment shadow.

Last edited:
great stuff!

but woah energy conservation seems much to high for the diffuse lighting. i hope they turn that down a little till release.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Doesn't BFV only have ray-traced reflections? A WW2 game with ray-traced reflections doesn't really benefit from it much visually, especially when you take the performance hit into consideration.

But any game that strives to be realistic graphically, will look unmistakeably better fully raytraced.
Yea I thought about that after the initial post. You are fast my man. I edited it shortly after.

VFXVeteran

Banned
RT seems like an improvement most of the time but they're still using tricks with the contact shadows. When a light source is moving like in the flash light example at around 8:10, the chair shadows should be moving too, not just get darker or blend into the environment shadow.
That is not how RT GI works. You are thinking the chair should cast a "chair" shape on the ground. But the chair isn't being directly lit by the flashlight. The wall behind the chair is being hit by the direct light. The shadow underneath the chair is coming from bounced light off the wall and should be blurred and barely visible. Try this at home. It's how the real world works. And yes, that soft shadow is moving exactly like it should.

Last edited:

Lethal01

I think this is true overall, however because RT requires optimizations that then require significant noise reduction there are tradeoffs that will reduce clarity; it's definitely worth it here in my opinion but not a free lunch
It's often very true especially in games going for pure photorealism. But other times you switch from using RT to typical game rendering and then you see that the inaccuracies of that lighting give what you were working on far more charm. Then you try to modify your scene to have a bit of that charm and often you just can't reach it. But yes, for tons of games the constant nonstop inaccuracies are an absolute blight that does nothing but hurt the look 90% of the time.

I hate that you are right on this because it will be at least until the next console gen until RT really becomes THE standard
After playing with a decent RT implementation anything else with the usual trickery just looks..."wrong"
what about when indies start using an hdrp dxr pipeline this gen? could lead to some really, really exciting stuff ito game visuals.

Wow that's insanely impressive.

I wonder how the consoles will compare - there is still noise in the PC RT and it will surely be way lower resolution in the consoles.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I haven't played this on PC yet. I just got a 3080 last week so I am really stoked for this. I been looking for a game to really take advantage of the upgrades.

I think I might use the recommended settings for the 6800xt to see if I can get a bit more FPS out of the game with minimal trade off to the quality.

Shai-Tan

Banned
It's often very true especially in games going for pure photorealism. But other times you switch from using RT to typical game rendering and then you see that the inaccuracies of that lighting give what you were working on far more charm. Then you try to modify your scene to have a bit of that charm and often you just can't reach it. But yes, for tons of games the constant nonstop inaccuracies are an absolute blight that does nothing but hurt the look 90% of the time.
When I was playing Exodus I did notice turning RT on and off how some texture detail was disappearing in RT too - that was the point. But yeah, in many scenes it's amazing to me how much of a difference it makes. Looking forward to playing Sam's Story with the new pipeline.

Haggard

Banned
what about when indies start using an hdrp dxr pipeline this gen? could lead to some really, really exciting stuff ito game visuals.
Highly doubt that would be widespread as it would shrink the ever so important target audience considerably.
Judging from the Steam hardware surveys RT hardware is still pretty rare among the mainstream audience.

HAL-01

Wow that's insanely impressive.

I wonder how the consoles will compare - there is still noise in the PC RT and it will surely be way lower resolution in the consoles.
Given how “infinite bounce” tech usually works we’ll probably see very similar results, but the bounces will have to accumulate over more frames. Environments will look fine but sudden changes in lighting may have a delay to them

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yup. I'll definitely play this all over again. I actually didn't finish it but was fairly close before I quit.
Yea I was very very early in the game on Xbox. Not that I didn't like it. I'm just more of a multiplayer competitive gamer...so the CODs and Apex's of the world take up most of my gaming time. Next week it'll be time to put all that aside for a few days to really get into this.

Last edited:
Highly doubt that would be widespread as it would shrink the ever so important target audience considerably.
Judging from the Steam hardware surveys RT hardware is still pretty rare among the mainstream audience.
that's absolutely true. yet, would an indie game that offered this feature garner more attention from a smaller audience versus offering a game to a much larger audience without this feature? kind of the whole 'lost in a crowd' idea. who knows, would still like to see the indie devs use this, i'd support it.

Ulysses 31

That is not how RT GI works. You are thinking the chair should cast a "chair" shape on the ground. But the chair isn't being directly lit by the flashlight. The wall behind the chair is being hit by the direct light. The shadow underneath the chair is coming from bounced light off the wall and should be blurred and barely visible. Try this at home. It's how the real world works. And yes, that soft shadow is moving exactly like it should.
Rewatching the clip, the light is coming from her headlamp and she barely moves except for the minor rations she's doing with her head so that would explain how the chair shadows seem to stick to one place and only get darker/lighter.

If she had the lamp in her hand and was swinging it around, then it would be expected that the shadows would be moving noticeably more.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I have the game since it's launch on the PC. While the lighting in this game looks great, a lot of the environmental textures look really awful.

While a great technical achievement for sure and a symbolic one at that, I still think this is nothing more than some unneeded lipstick. It's not like the vanilla version of the game was flawed in its graphics department, quite the opposite. This is a 2 year-old game that unfortunately was met with mixed reception regarding its level design. I personally enjoyed it and the last chapter is an absolute work-of-art (if only the whole game was like that... :p ). Let's see if this will drive sales. Love you 4A games.

Tqaulity

See PC fans get love too. VFXVeteran VFXVeteran does it look better than a PIXAR movie too? :) (j/k)

I've had the pleasure to see the prerelease version of this PC update a little bit ago and yes it's great work from 4A games. It's also great to see a dev spend the time and resources to go all in on ray-tracing including optimized for PC and consoles.

I haven't seen the consoles versions at all yet and I would be curious to see how it compares. Their vision was that it would be generally equivalent (except for the RT reflections) and if so that's a great win all around! We shall see soon....

fatmarco

I swear, sometimes I can't tell if some posters are parodying themselves/ getting in on their own meme or actually being genuine.

This is a crazy difference. I thought Metro's initial RT was good but this makes it look horrendous hahahah.

Last edited:

Rippa

They obviously meant to title it first triple A “third-party” game with ray tracing.

😋

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
They obviously meant to title it first triple A “third-party” game with ray tracing.

😋
What other AAA title has pure RT lighting?
Cuz there arent even many titles with RTGI, let alone a murderers row like this:
Global Illumination from All Lights
Ray Traced Emissive Lights
Unlimited Light Bounces
Ray Traced Reflections

NtWLKMN.gif

XFqHtXE.jpg

Ulysses 31

What other AAA title has pure RT lighting?
Cuz there arent even many titles with RTGI, let alone a murderers row like this:
Global Illumination from All Lights
Ray Traced Emissive Lights
Unlimited Light Bounces
Ray Traced Reflections

NtWLKMN.gif
Did they mess with the Depth of Field setting? I hope they just forgot to turn it on in this comparison. :lollipop_confounded:

Top Bottom