• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Digital Foundry] Exclusive: Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition Analysis - The First Triple-A Ray Tracing Game

DeaDPo0L84

Ultra settings across the board, fov maxed, playing on a ultrawide with dlss quality and I maintain around 100fps and its absolutely glorious and looks amazing.

Dampf

Lighting changing due to sun clouds. 2 secs apart.

metroexodus2021-05-074uj75.png

N98sCyi.jpg

Md Ray

It also causes Hz to drop down to 60 whenever I use 120 Hz. :lollipop_confounded:

Really hope they fix it.
Is Vsync enabled?

If NVIDIA, then use Vsync from control panel and disable Vsync in the game's settings menu. In-game Vsync locks it at 60fps. This is a bug.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Is Vsync enabled?

If NVIDIA, then use Vsync from control panel and disable Vsync in the game's settings menu. In-game Vsync locks it at 60fps. This is a bug.
Yes but I can see on my Samsung that the picture is also in 60hz mode.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I couldn't get through more than a few hours of this game when it launched. The AI and lack of adequate ammo when being ass raped while exploring was so not what I was expecting as a fan of the first 2 games. Was anything else fixed or is this just a minor, opportunistic upgrade coming 7 months after RTX card dropped and while there is slim pickings for new good games out there.

I couldn't get through more than a few hours of this game when it launched. The AI and lack of adequate ammo when being ass raped while exploring was so not what I was expecting as a fan of the first 2 games. Was anything else fixed or is this just a minor, opportunistic upgrade coming 7 months after RTX card dropped and while there is slim pickings for new good games out there.
Drop the difficulty level, it can make it a bit easier.

I don't think they made any changes gameplay wise thought they did fix bugs (like the UI issues on 21:9 in the Inventory/Crafting menu).

Rikkori

I guess I'm not surprised that Shill Foundry spent so much time jerking off to the raytracing additions in this version but "forgot" to mention all the downsides it comes with. Tbh I'm shocked at just how bad this was tho.

For example, this now famous shot, where they forgot to say that it doesn't look like it does on the right UNTIL at least 5 seconds pass and the rays accumulate, thus the light slowly ramping up - but it first, when you step into the room, looks more like on the left! Totally on point with the "artistic vision". :rolleyes:

Screenshot_20210505-173419_YouTube.jpg

Disgusted with the misinformation DF presents yet again, but also bit disappointed with the "enhancements". What they should've done is offer better textures & geometric detail (as those are the game's major weaknesses graphically) but I understand - this was basically a re-release for the sake of PS5/XSX, more than them caring to go back and properly give the game a facelift. I loved the game, and still have Sam's Story to finish, but I think in the future I'll re-play the "old" version instead - the new lighting simply ruins the atmosphere of many scenes. Sadly they didn't understand that art direction takes precedence over technical upgrades. inb4 some dumdum tells me they had artists "go over the changes to make sure they fit" (Sure, and I've got a bridge to sell you). :rolleyes:

Shmunter

I guess I'm not surprised that Shill Foundry spent so much time jerking off to the raytracing additions in this version but "forgot" to mention all the downsides it comes with. Tbh I'm shocked at just how bad this was tho.

For example, this now famous shot, where they forgot to say that it doesn't look like it does on the right UNTIL at least 5 seconds pass and the rays accumulate, thus the light slowly ramping up - but it first, when you step into the room, looks more like on the left! Totally on point with the "artistic vision". :rolleyes:

Disgusted with the misinformation DF presents yet again, but also bit disappointed with the "enhancements". What they should've done is offer better textures & geometric detail (as those are the game's major weaknesses graphically) but I understand - this was basically a re-release for the sake of PS5/XSX, more than them caring to go back and properly give the game a facelift. I loved the game, and still have Sam's Story to finish, but I think in the future I'll re-play the "old" version instead - the new lighting simply ruins the atmosphere of many scenes. Sadly they didn't understand that art direction takes precedence over technical upgrades. inb4 some dumdum tells me they had artists "go over the changes to make sure they fit" (Sure, and I've got a bridge to sell you). :rolleyes:
🤔

Kenpachii

They should have actually enhanced it with better models and textures. the game was already butt ugly the day it released. some of those objects in this game are straight up ps3 quality.

Rikkori

Is it like baked lightning or something? because that stuff moving infront of the window isn't reflecting to the ground.
No, it's just a consequence of trying to do too much with hardware that isn't yet capable of it. In order to have results like that which you see after a few seconds you'd have to shoot a LOT more rays than we currently do (afaik Ultra does 1 rpp). Since we can't do that then they choose to simply distribute the accumulation of rays over time based on previous frames' data. That's why the room gets brighter over time because the rays bounce all over the place in time - when they finish bouncing you see how it's supposed to look, but that takes time.

You don't see the cloth being interacted with the lighting more simply because the game isn't actually fully pathtraced and thus there are many things which are excluded from it. It's the same for every game that has any kind of RT - we're still hybrid or many lighting/shadowing techniques are completely excluded lest the fps turn to fpm.

Last edited:
Is it like baked lightning or something? because that stuff moving infront of the window isn't reflecting to the ground.

The sun is beyond the player's shoulder. The light on the ground must be the result of an opening on the Front side over the Door. The light doesn't come from the side window

I suppose one could argue that the ray accumulating kind of mimic the effect of the Iris opening/ closing. Could you tell me if the time employed for the accumulating is pretty much fixed or very dependant from the PC Power/ raytracing setting configuration?

Rikkori

I suppose one could argue that the ray accumulating kind of mimic the effect of the Iris opening/ closing. Could you tell me if the time employed for the accumulating is pretty much fixed or very dependant from the PC Power/ raytracing setting configuration?
Haven't checked for fps/setting, but I think it would be scene-dependent more than anything while the cache builds up. See the tech dive here: https://www.4a-games.com.mt/4a-dna/in-depth-technical-dive-into-metro-exodus-pc-enhanced-edition

even though its an improvement for metro but it still isnt the best looking game, a trillion bouncing rays doesnt magically turn a game beautiful. Its the art direction, and production quality that matters not what effects you use.

Mathematics doesnt paint a da vinci, it provides you the tools to paint a davinci.

Ive said this time and time again im not impressed with how many giga bytes, hertz or processing power thats used in any game im not interested in any buzzwords, ive heard a billion graphical techniques through the years and when they become the norm people move to hype the next new technologies. and call the old ones crap.

On the ps3, 360 days it was earlier a huge hype on normal mapping and deffered rendering, at the end of that gen pc master race anthem was tessellation and nvidias cuda and physx, plus 1080p 30 locked

Then when tessellation, physx or cuda became the norm in ps4 xbone generation 1080p 30 locked

The goal posts have shifted to 4k 60fps
With raytracing and by reading the comments on this post alot of pc gamers are using raytracing with dlss on. But my marry mother of """" if any developer puts reconstruction techniques on console with raytracing all hell breaks lose all the pc master race fanatics come out to protest.

Returnal is a good example of that upscaled 1080p that looks no different to native 4k is getting a bad rap all around the net for using reconstruction simply because its console. But pc master race use dlss allday with their chairman alex from digital foundry and its all fine and dandy. 🤣🤣🤣

Basically i dont care what technology is in use i care about the results and what the developers and artists wanted to convey and produce not the techniques. You can have a super computer and a trillion dollars to make a game pn it and still make a bad looking game.

I hate to say this but till today uncharted 4, god of war, the order, drive club, last 2. Are still the best looking game and the best use of technology. Until they make pc games that look like those with a quadrillion rays then ill be interested but sorry not cyberpunk or metro or minecraft or recently super mario 64 raytraced. 🤣

Shmunter

No, it's just a consequence of trying to do too much with hardware that isn't yet capable of it. In order to have results like that which you see after a few seconds you'd have to shoot a LOT more rays than we currently do (afaik Ultra does 1 rpp). Since we can't do that then they choose to simply distribute the accumulation of rays over time based on previous frames' data. That's why the room gets brighter over time because the rays bounce all over the place in time - when they finish bouncing you see how it's supposed to look, but that takes time.

You don't see the cloth being interacted with the lighting more simply because the game isn't actually fully pathtraced and thus there are many things which are excluded from it. It's the same for every game that has any kind of RT - we're still hybrid or many lighting/shadowing techniques are completely excluded lest the fps turn to fpm.
Yeah, that rag of a window blind isn’t doing jack

mansoor1980

Gold Member
even though its an improvement for metro but it still isnt the best looking game, a trillion bouncing rays doesnt magically turn a game beautiful. Its the art direction, and production quality that matters not what effects you use.

Mathematics doesnt paint a da vinci, it provides you the tools to paint a davinci.

Ive said this time and time again im not impressed with how many giga bytes, hertz or processing power thats used in any game im not interested in any buzzwords, ive heard a billion graphical techniques through the years and when they become the norm people move to hype the next new technologies. and call the old ones crap.

On the ps3, 360 days it was earlier a huge hype on normal mapping and deffered rendering, at the end of that gen pc master race anthem was tessellation and nvidias cuda and physx, plus 1080p 30 locked

Then when tessellation, physx or cuda became the norm in ps4 xbone generation 1080p 30 locked

With raytracing and by reading the comments on this post alot of pc gamers are using raytracing with dlss on. But my marry mother of """" if any developer puts reconstruction techniques on console with raytracing all hell breaks lose all the pc master race fanatics come out to protest.

Returnal is a good example of that upscaled 1080p that looks no different to native 4k is getting a bad rap all around the net for using reconstruction simply because its console. But pc master race use dlss allday with their chairman alex from digital foundry and its all fine and dandy. 🤣🤣🤣

Basically i dont care what technology is in use i care about the results and what the developers and artists wanted to convey and produce not the techniques. You can have a super computer and a trillion dollars to make a game pn it and still make a bad looking game.

I hate to say this but till today uncharted 4, god of war, the order, drive club, last 2. Are still the best looking game and the best use of technology. Until they make pc games that look like those with a quadrillion rays then ill be interested but sorry not cyberpunk or metro or minecraft or recently super mario 64 raytraced. 🤣
EnchantingExemplaryHoverfly-max-1mb.gif

Nice rant but a lot of misinformation.

First of all - the Metro games have fantastic art direction.

Secondly, you cannot compare something like DLSS 2.0 on the quality setting - which only slightly reduces the resolution and then uses increasingly sophisticated AI to reconstruct it - to Returnal, which is 1080p upscaled to 1440p and then checkerboarded to 4K.

Thirdly, Ray-tracing isn't just meaningless hype, I assure you. I can't tell you exactly why on a technical level - but the latest RT games have absolutely taken things to another level in terms of lighting. Run Cyberpunk on psycho RT or Metro Enhanced on ultra RT - you'll notice the entire look and feel of moving through the environment feels different. It doesn't even fully come across in screenshots but you can absolutely tell when you're moving through an environment lit by RT - and you can immediately tell when you go back to a game that isn't. It's definitely a game changer - and we already have the evidence to prove it.

Nice rant but a lot of misinformation.

First of all - the Metro games have fantastic art direction.

Secondly, you cannot compare something like DLSS 2.0 on the quality setting - which only slightly reduces the resolution and then uses increasingly sophisticated AI to reconstruct it - to Returnal, which is 1080p upscaled to 1440p and then checkerboarded to 4K.

Thirdly, Ray-tracing isn't just meaningless hype, I assure you. I can't tell you exactly why on a technical level - but the latest RT games have absolutely taken things to another level in terms of lighting. Run Cyberpunk on psycho RT or Metro Enhanced on ultra RT - you'll notice the entire look and feel of moving through the environment feels different. It doesn't even fully come across in screenshots but you can absolutely tell when you're moving through an environment lit by RT - and you can immediately tell when you go back to a game that isn't. It's definitely a game changer - and we already have the evidence to prove it.
More bullshit no 1. Metro doesnt have better art direction than most playstation exclusives ive mentioned and which lead the industry.

2. Dlss whether it uses complicated nuclear science its still reconstruction and nobody could tell if returnal was upscaled until digital foundry zoomed 300x and said it was and so was demon souls and the ue5 demo it is visibly unnoticable. You can notice reconstruction artefacts even on dlss 2.0 even if its dlss 10.0 when you zoom 300x so have at it.

3. I didnt say raytracing is pointless i said any technology used without art direction and artistic vision is pointless you dont just slap settings to ultra and throw a billion rays and suddenly turn a subpar produced game into pixar.

4. You can go find any developer out there and any computer graphics and animation artist and hell tell you even with raytracing on metro it still doesnt look good as a well produced playstation exlcusive without raytracing and all those buzzwords.

Graphics isnt about the technologies youve used or the tools and how much processing power your using its about the look and the final result of the whole production that went on a game that makes sometging a work of art.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think the game cannot be judged until washed out gamma is fixed. It will restore a lot of missing contrast. Until then - it is a dud

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Returnal looks nothing like a native 4k image, it absolutely looks low res and it is very noticeable at points.

More bullshit no 1. Metro doesnt have better art direction than most playstation exclusives ive mentioned and which lead the industry.

2. Dlss whether it uses complicated nuclear science its still reconstruction and nobody could tell if returnal was upscaled until digital foundry zoomed 300x and said it was and so was demon souls and the ue5 demo it is visibly unnoticable. You can notice reconstruction artefacts even on dlss 2.0 even if its dlss 10.0 when you zoom 300x so have at it.

3. I didnt say raytracing is pointless i said any technology used without art direction and artistic vision is pointless you dont just slap settings to ultra and throw a billion rays and suddenly turn a subpar produced game into pixar.

4. You can go find any developer out there and any computer graphics and animation artist and hell tell you even with raytracing on metro it still doesnt look good as a well produced playstation exlcusive without raytracing and all those buzzwords.

Graphics isnt about the technologies youve used or the tools and how much processing power your using its about the look and the final result of the whole production that went on a game that makes sometging a work of art.
Again - you're wrong. Of course you'll notice if something is upscaled from 1080p to 4k - and several sites pointed it out with Returnal. That's equivalent to the lowest quality DLSS settings, which is also very noticable. Now quality DLSS, on the other hand - can actually make things at a distance look even better than native in some cases. You can't compare the two.

And sure, art direction and design plays a big role - but certain features are just by definition better than the alternative - non RT lighting doesn't look as good as full RT lighting, which is why it absolutely is going to become a standard going forward.

Again - you're wrong. Of course you'll notice if something is upscaled from 1080p to 4k - and several sites pointed it out with Returnal. That's equivalent to the lowest quality DLSS settings, which is also very noticable. Now quality DLSS, on the other hand - can actually make things at a distance look even better than native in some cases. You can't compare the two.

And sure, art direction and design plays a big role - but certain features are just by definition better than the alternative - non RT lighting doesn't look as good as full RT lighting, which is why it absolutely is going to become a standard going forward.
Your talking bs again.

People couldnt notice if returnal was upscaled even figital foundry said it looked 4k it only breaks when they zoomed at the vegetation and when they looked at some of the textures. Any reconstryction technique breaks.

Also again i didnt criticise raytracing so i dont get what agenda you keep on pushing here i said raytracing without art direction and overall production quality is pointless its like having a big dick but last 1 sec vs a guy who has a medium package and lasts 10 minutes. Its how you use it that counts not bragging that your using it.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I guess I'm not surprised that Shill Foundry spent so much time jerking off to the raytracing additions in this version but "forgot" to mention all the downsides it comes with.
Well, you are making your intent rather blatantly clear within the first sentence. Shill Foundry, really?:messenger_expressionless:

• Last-gen assets
  • Next-gen lighting engine
  • From single bounce to multi/infinite bounce
  • Implementation obviously can improve
I am not sure what you are expecting. This kind of full scene raytracing takes time to readjust - I am surprised it occurs in a almost gif-like animated way in the first place. But yes, the first frame remains black as lights need to accumulate - But when it does start, the scenery is really, really realistic and natural.

So, implementation obviously can improve. Just because Shill Foundry does not say this explicitly but instead want to focus on its merits - Multi bounce lighting! - is a logical one, if you ask me. This kind of lighting, let alone seeing rays build up light in real-time with little noise is rather unique, and honestly the more impressive it runs on PC and next-gen consoles.

Is it perfect? No. But its damn impressive.

If you want to talk artistic vision, give 4A a call. After all, they decided to revamp the engine, overhaul the entire game to take note of this new lighting engine, to the point that its a seperate product.
Disgusted with the misinformation DF presents yet again, but also bit disappointed with the "enhancements".
Feel free to present a list of articles/videos where DF is purposefully presenting misinformation. Heck, make a seperate thread for it, could be discussion worthy. Just stating ''Again they present misinformation'' is a load of gobbledigook.

What they should've done is offer better textures & geometric detail (as those are the game's major weaknesses graphically)
The game offers a 4K texture pack, atleast on consoles. As for geometric detail: What are you missing? Reflections in a cup in the bottom corner of a screen? Like the misinformation accusation, ill suggest again: Provide details.

Sadly they didn't understand that art direction takes precedence over technical upgrades. inb4 some dumdum tells me they had artists "go over the changes to make sure they fit" (Sure, and I've got a bridge to sell you). :rolleyes:
Thanks for calling me a dumdum! :) I think you forgot the part where it was said that this is still a last-gen game that gets retrofitted with a new lighting system, or did you close the video before any reference of that would occur?

If you know this better than the actual developers at hand, then you obviously are qualified enough to tell what they should have done, according to you.. So, can you explain what they should have done according to you?
No, it's just a consequence of trying to do too much with hardware that isn't yet capable of it.
No, this is a conclusion of someone unable to understand the limitations of the base game in terms of assetry, failing to understand that 4A's implementation is one of the first in real-time rendering, disregarding the notion that its also their first stab at XSX/S/PS5 grade hardware and ignoring the fact that the original version already looked a generation apart from other games in 2019 and that was just with a single bounce of raytracing.

But if you want to play the game as you see fit - You can - That is the original version for you, because this is a separate product. Everyone wins.
In order to have results like that which you see after a few seconds you'd have to shoot a LOT more rays than we currently do (afaik Ultra does 1 rpp).
And like said above, its early days. You seem to expect a fully featured solution that does near-instant results, or developers shouldn't bother.

That kind of mindset is why so few games actively push the envelope, yet here you are flagging the one developer down that takes a stab at it.

In your world Crysis wouldn't be released in 2007, but in 2011.
You don't see the cloth being interacted with the lighting more simply because the game isn't actually fully pathtraced and thus there are many things which are excluded from it.
Nowhere in the DF video or through 4A Games themselves is it said that the game is fully pathtraced to the point of being a total solution - What they are saying is that their lighting system is fully raytraced. And many objects react to that, but not all, such as dynamic objects like cloth.

Almost as if its early days for a lighting system practically no other developer has been seen attempting outside of UE5's Lumen, much less so in a released game... :messenger_mr_smith_who_are_you_going_to_call:
That's exactly what it is and that is one of the more impressive things of raytracing. The downside of this is iteration speed, as mentioned previously. It takes several frames to adjust the scenery.

The fade-in here is quite natural, but happens too late: When you wake up from sleep and open the blinds, your eyes will percieve light faster than what is seen here. Its clear they are trying to simulate the effect, but it is unrealistic that when you enter the building after you just left it, that it takes several frames for the lighting to adjust.

Its unrealistic in this scenario because your eyes are already adjusted to the differences of black and light (you are awake, after all). So, re-entering that building should in practice mean a more natural fade that happens near-instantly rather than how it is done here.

TLDR: The readjustment factor of light here is off. That kind of fade-in is more suited to a scenario waking up from sleep and opening the blinds, rather than re-entering a building in daylight. If the re-adjustment occurs near-instantly instead of after several frames (In which this is nicely portrayed) than the situation is accurate.

FireFly

Your talking bs again.

People couldnt notice if returnal was upscaled even figital foundry said it looked 4k it only breaks when they zoomed at the vegetation and when they looked at some of the textures. Any reconstryction technique breaks.

Also again i didnt criticise raytracing so i dont get what agenda you keep on pushing here i said raytracing without art direction and overall production quality is pointless its like having a big dick but last 1 sec vs a guy who has a medium package and lasts 10 minutes. Its how you use it that counts not bragging that your using it.
I think there's two different things here:

1.) Visible artifacts in the image that are the result of the reconstruction algorithm breaking down, such as flickering or gridlike patterns.
2.) The level of fidelity or detail in the image; i.e how sharp it is.

You can have a "perfect" reconstruction algorithm that doesn't generate a single artifact, yet still produces an image that looks visibly softer than the native version. The problem is that without the native image to compare, you can't easily assess 2.). You can have an idea in your head about how sharp the image should look, and how much detail it should contain, but it's just a subjective impression that can't be easily communicated to others. So in a case like Returnal, where there is no native comparison point, DF can't tell you how exactly good a job the reconstruction does. The most they can do is explain the techniques used and point out where they break down (i.e 1.)

But we know in general that temporal reconstruction and checkerboarding produce a visibly softer image than DLSS Quality, as the Metro Exodus video itself demonstrates.

Last edited:
I think there's two different things here:

1.) Visible artifacts in the image that are the result of the reconstruction algorithm breaking down, such as flickering or gridlike patterns.
2.) The level of fidelity or detail in the image; i.e how sharp it is.

You can have a "perfect" reconstruction algorithm that doesn't generate a single artifact, yet still produces an image that looks visibly softer than the native version. The problem is that without the native image to compare, you can't easily assess 2.). You can have an idea in your head about how sharp the image should look, and how much detail it should contain, but it's just a subjective impression that can't be easily communicated to others. So in a case like Returnal, where there is no native comparison point, DF can't tell you how exactly good a job the reconstruction does. The most they can do is explain the techniques used and point out where they break down (i.e 1.)

But we know in general that temporal reconstruction and checkerboarding produce a visibly softer image than DLSS Quality, as the Metro Exodus video itself demonstrates.
We can discuss reconstruction techniques all year long but they all have artefacts, i dont care what method you use, the point is to my eyes its all 4k crisp i dont play games with binoculars. Demon souls uses checkerboarding and digital foundry couldnt tell, ue5 demo uses temporal techniques to upscale 1440p to 4k and nobody could tell, yes theres worse reconstruction from game to game mostly on lastgen consoles like ps4 pros checkerboarding but on ps5 its clearer same as in most modern titles.. reconstruction will be the most adopted tech soon.

FireFly

We can discuss reconstruction techniques all year long but they all have artefacts, i dont care what method you use, the point is to my eyes its all 4k crisp i dont play games with binoculars. Demon souls uses checkerboarding and digital foundry couldnt tell, ue5 demo uses temporal techniques to upscale 1440p to 4k and nobody could tell, yes theres worse reconstruction from game to game mostly on lastgen consoles like ps4 pros checkerboarding but on ps5 its clearer same as in most modern titles.. reconstruction will be the most adopted tech soon.
DF could tell with Returnal, since Alex literally says that the image quality suffers, and the reconstruction isn't as good as what you would get with DLSS, going from 1080p. (Though without a native "comparison point", it's not easy to show this).

Again with UE5, DF were saying that they couldn't count the pixels, not that the fidelity was as good as a native image. But here, as with Demon Souls, we're reconstructing from 1440p, not 1080p, which we would expect to look noticeably worse.

A shame they aren't using any FidelityFX because CAS would do much good for this game.

All the people talking about "artistic intent" are morons actually disrespecting the developers.
When the game first came out they had a set of tools to use and they made the game the best they could with those tools at that time. But they received new tools and want to use them. This isn't a substitute, it's an alternate version. The original is still there immaculated, but this new version is as valid as the original and yes, it's also their "artistic intent". You can only criticize the result in the sense that they are still new to these new tools and still need time to learn how to make better use of it.

The performance is, goes to show how much hackery goes into traditional rasterization techniques and lightning, and many of the things people see as "intent" are actually defects that the developers can't get rid off.

Here's what I mean:

Have you ever heard the word "iris"?

Can you show the opposite? Stay a big inside the room and then going out to the bright outiside?

Last edited:

Rikkori

defense force nitpick brigade member: why don't you bla bla word-vomit
ZkVKYYh.jpg

Have you ever heard the word "iris"?

Can you show the opposite? Stay a big inside the room and then going out to the bright outiside?
Assume that every word you know or might have heard of I also know; for example what you're thinking of and don't know is called adaptive exposure or eye adaptation (in VG). As for requests refer to the image above.

Last edited:

FireFly

If the image was becoming brighter because of the extra bounces, shouldn't we see this happen before the player enters the room?

DF could tell with Returnal, since Alex literally says that the image quality suffers, and the reconstruction isn't as good as what you would get with DLSS, going from 1080p. (Though without a native "comparison point", it's not easy to show this).

Again with UE5, DF were saying that they couldn't count the pixels, not that the fidelity was as good as a native image. But here, as with Demon Souls, we're reconstructing from 1440p, not 1080p, which we would expect to look noticeably worse.

Nope resolution and image quality are 2 different things you can run a game at natuve 4k and have bad image quality than reconstructed 1080p you seem to not understand the 2

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
$39.99 USD on Steam. Tempting. Could one get these kind of RT results with a RTX 2080 Super and i9-10900k?

FireFly

Nope resolution and image quality are 2 different things you can run a game at natuve 4k and have bad image quality than reconstructed 1080p you seem to not understand the 2
Yes, and in the clip I linked to Alex is saying the image quality suffers because of the particular reconstruction techniques used. He's not saying it has bad image quality simply because it's reconstructed, since his entire point is that DLSS does a much better job.

Yes, and in the clip I linked to Alex is saying the image quality suffers because of the particular reconstruction techniques used. He's not saying it has bad image quality simply because it's reconstructed, since his entire point is that DLSS does a much better job.
Well ive played games with dlss on and theyve had bad quality so i font get your point, demon souls does a better job as any top reconstruction technique out there so it depends from a game to game basis, image quality suffers in any reconstruction technique even if its made by nasa. The point is returnal is as clear as any game in 4k unless you play games with binoculars and a telescope looking for defects. Alex's job is doing exactly that and as hes said he doesnt play console games usually he only played returnal because he fancied it. So for a guy that doesnt play console games he seems to be a boring dude who only purchases console games to look at pixels and for that he can find defects but for 90 percent of gamers out there nobody gives a f if returnal is reconstructed from 480p or 240p what they see on their teles is 4k

Rikkori

Look at 3:30. Absolutely butchered that scene, and it's exactly those kind of scenes in the original which sold me so hard on the visuals of the game and help make the atmosphere be so engrossing.

Sad Video Games GIF by OddworldInc

Last edited:
so been playing this to the wolga chapter yesterday in 4K DLSS quality maxed with VRR. HDR gamma does not seem to be as bad as i thought, but i think the configuration screen is broken. if you have trouble, try to adjust in windows and let the slider sit in the middle.

outside scenes look very pleasing, spectacular at times. inside and cutscenes are a mixed bag, as the new lighting seems to sometimes butcher the artists intension.

Look at 3:30. Absolutely butchered that scene, and it's exactly those kind of scenes in the original which sold me so hard on the visuals of the game and help make the atmosphere be so engrossing.

yeah that is a good example, of how the new lighting does not do what the artist intended.

that's not a fault of the excellent lighting system / technology, but i think the notion of this beeing the first RT game build from the ground up is just wrong. there are lighting artists that make those scences look like they should with static lighting and you cant just switch in physically accurate lights and think that their original vision stays intact. the tech is great, but it will take 4A next game to really make it feel a 100% right.

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member

Frustrated Jack Nicholson GIF

Guess I'll stick with the original.

Top Bottom