• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Face-Off: PES 2015

I see people are surprised to see one version isn't held back by another like the western multiplatforms.

Either way I wish DF had tackled the issue of massive stuttering due to online connectivity, it renders the game nigh unplayable and Konami isn't even acknowledging the issue.

Hasney

I see people are surprised to see one version isn't held back by another like the western multiplatforms.

Either way I wish DF had tackled the issue of massive stuttering due to online connectivity, it renders the game nigh unplayable and Konami isn't even acknowledging the issue.

It may not have happened to them though as it's not happening with all PS4 owners (myself included. hell, it's the first PES game I find to actually be playable online.). They tend to only report what they see rather than what people talk about.

Duxxy3

The fuck??

Nyx

Never had this since day 1. (PS4)
Best netcode of PES since like ever.
And no stuttering in singleplayer also, zero!

Hasney

I really hope they do find a workaround by Phantom Pain for XB1 because the FOX engine is damn advanced, especially running what it does at 60fps in 1080p on PS4 and I'd rather see it licensed and adopted if Konami are willing to go that route.

That said, at least the DF article thread will be fun if they can't get around it by then.

Lucifon

Garbage hardware.

jennifer-lawrence-10.gif

Sakura

Not really a surprising result when you consider the XBO hardware. I expect more multiplat games ending up like this in the future.

...That said, at least the DF article thread will be fun if they can't get around it by then.

They won't due to the rendrring engine which saddens me as an XB1 owner so I'll grab it on PC instead.

I got some stick in the last thread about the Fox engine when I said the worse thing about this - and GZ - is that the games don't even look good enough to warrant the appraoch or gap in resolution, IMO.

Jack cw

Not really a surprising result when you consider the XBO hardware. I expect more multiplat games ending up like this in the future.

It will when cross gen is gone and (more) engines are jumping to deferred rendering. The RAM management of the bone will be the bottleneck then.

Hasney

They won't due to the rendrring engine which saddens me as an XB1 owner so I'll grab it on PC instead.

I got some stick in the last thread about the Fox engine when I said the worse thing about this - and GZ - is that the games don't even look good enough to warrant the appraoch or gap in resolution, IMO.

I would disagree with that. I can't think of a better looking game that runs at 1080p and a locked 60fps, especially in terms of lightning, than GZ.

You could run it at a higher resolution on XB1 for sure, assuming that you allow the frame rate to take a hit.

It will when cross gen is gone and (more) engines are jumping to deferred rendering. The RAM management of the bone will be the bottleneck then.

I don't think they will, at least for 3rd party games purely because of the XB1, which is a huge shame.

Derpcrawler

Garbage hardware.

It's exactly like PS4, but with smaller GPU and slower VRAM. With same CPU and GPU architecture on both consoles, 28% raw power should translate to usual 900p vs 1080p, not 720p vs 1080p. The engine is garbage.

So if Xbox One hardware is turd, then PS4 is just a bigger turd.

Hasney

It's exactly like PS4, but with smaller GPU and slower VRAM.

Yes, exactly. It's not about some magical % of power, it's about using advanced rendering techniques that can't fit into a small esRAM cache at 1080p refreshing at 60fps as the bandwidth isn't there. It's a design decision that is likely to hold us back most of the generation for multi-platform games.

The CPU and the GPU could probably render it, but a full deffered rendering solution can't get it to the GPU from RAM fast enough to do so.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
About time, DF.

GHG

It's exactly like PS4, but with smaller GPU and slower VRAM. With same CPU and GPU architecture on both consoles, 28% raw power should translate to usual 900p vs 1080p, not 720p vs 1080p. The engine is garbage.

We will see how "garbage" the engine is when ground zeros releases on the PC.

Just because an engine doesn't compensate for the xbox one's weaknesses (which could have been avoided had they not prioritised kinnect) it doesn't make it "garbage".

The problem is with the hardware, as I'm sure others will tell you. The ESRAM cache is too small to render out 1080p with a 60hz refresh using this deferred rendering technique.

Like I said, it isn't the engine, it's the hardware. Expect similar results when The Phantom Pain comes out as well.

Drifters

based PS4.

Seriously, I am amazed that the Xbone is having trouble keeping up. At this rate, are dev's just going to settle for 720p?

c0de

The problem is with the hardware, as I'm sure others will tell you. The ESRAM cache is too small to render out 1080p with a 60hz refresh using this deferred rendering technique.

Like I said, it isn't the engine, it's the hardware. Expect similar results when The Phantom Pain comes out as well.

It is the engine as games at 1080p show us. Read about forward+ from Playground which was used for Forza Horizon 2.

It is the engine as games at 1080p show us. Read about forward+ from Playground which was used for Forza Horizon 2.

Even without reading up on that, you are still talking about bandwidth needed for 30 and not 60 so it isn't a great comparison.

Vitafit

Banned
What?

PES is 720p/60fps whereas Fifa is 1080p/60fps and looks just as good? Clearly the hardware is at fault...

If you think Fifa15 looks as good as this years PES then you are in for a surprise.
PES looks in detail a lot superior thanks to the Fox Engine.

Didn't they already confirm Phantom Pain will do the same as Ground Zeroes and now PES?I mean the 1080p/60fps for PS4 and that other thing for the X1

Its not a fault of the Engine.
This is designed to get the best out of the PS4 which is completely ok.
Look at the sales of PES15(and MGS GZ) - Their main share of buyers is on the PS4.
If it takes to long and to much effort to get the game running on par with the PS4 Version i wouldn't waste time on it either.
And at the end it seems their priority is clearly the steady 60 fps which the X1 doesn't seem to achieve easily in combination with 1080p.Something completely normal in this Gen if the PS4 Version isn't made to avoid debates.

Mr Moose

So you blame the engine because it uses deferred rending rather than forward+? Yeah, hardware problem.

But also a bunch of people that have never seen this, I don't want to be ''that'' guy but people with these problems should check their modem-settings and internet connection first.

Yes we did everything and narrowed it down to one possible culprit which is having huge friends list that is active during gameplay. The game runs perfectly fine on your alt PSN ID with exact same network settings connected to exact same modem and ISP, only variable being no friends activity in the background. I wish people would do more research before dismissing as one off case, which it is not.

Well the argument is 720/60FPS whereas even some of the 900p games on Xbone aren't 60FPS right?

That is pretty much the standard multiplat resolution independent on frame rate split when its a gpu limited situation. Most devs get this result, so its not that weird people expect a higher resolution then 720p on the Xbox one.

Nyx

Yes we did everything and narrowed it down to one possible culprit which is having huge friends list that is active during gameplay. The game runs perfectly fine on your alt PSN ID with exact same network settings connected to exact same modem and ISP, only variable being no friends activity in the background. I wish people would do more research before dismissing as one off case, which it is not.

I don't have a big friendlist so that might indeed be why I never seen the stuttering.

Hasney

Forward+ is good in some scenarios, but a lot of the lighting data then needs to be buffered. With a lot of light sources and shadows, you then have less esRAM to play with whereas a deferred renderer is only loading what it needs when it needs it. It's not going to be the best solution in all cases and engine, although I'm very glad that AMD is trying to come up with techniques like that.

Again, did you try reducing the MTU on the console network settings? It seems to be the culprit as if your router MTU is only 1500, it can cause issues with some features of the PS4 in general. Somethings even in the home screen (bar bloody messages) are snappier since I changed that as well, especially with loading friends avatars.

THRILLH0

Banned
Damn 1080p vs 720p is only "minor" now huh?

Also watched the part about the "manual replays," is that blue line not the fps? I see that in both versions the blue line goes below the green line, but on the PS4 the numerical counter goes down while the Xbone one says 60.0 throughout.

Or, you know, "vast" if you know how to read.

jem0208

If you think Fifa15 looks as good as this years PES then you are in for a surprise.
PES looks in detail a lot superior thanks to the Fox Engine.

Didn't they already confirm Phantom Pain will do the same as Ground Zeroes and now PES?I mean the 1080p/60fps for PS4 and that other thing for the X1

Its not a fault of the Engine.
This is designed to get the best out of the PS4 which is completely ok.
Look at the sales of PES15(and MGS GZ) - Their main share of buyers is on the PS4.
If it takes to long and to much effort to get the game running on par with the PS4 Version i wouldn't waste time on it either.
And at the end it seems their priority is clearly the steady 60 fps which the X1 doesn't seem to achieve easily in combination with 1080p.Something completely normal in this Gen if the PS4 Version isn't made to avoid debates.
It's no where near enough more detailed to make up the difference in resolution.

The engine is clearly designed in such a way that it doesn't run well on the X1 hardware. That's an engine problem, clearly shown by the fact that many other engines run just fine on the X1.

The software should be designed to work well on the hardware provided, not the other way around.

Azdoune

Don't forget, FIFA 60fps only availables with one caméra. Others are 30fps.
FIFA rain is a joke.
FIFA ball physic is a nightmare..

c0de

Even without reading up on that, you are still talking about bandwidth needed for 30 and not 60 so it isn't a great comparison.

Well, let's not pretend there is no 1080p60 game on Xbone. I don't say forward+ is the ideal solution but there are ways to achieve 1080p60 on Xbone as other devs already showed.

Malcolm9

Not really. Fifa is pure trash when it comes to visuals and performance.

I'm not the biggest Fifa fan but visually in no way are the visuals trash. PES has some decent faces, but lacks the visuals and presentation offered in Fifa ie kits, stadiums, pitch texture, fans in the stadium etc.

Personally Konami could have done more with the game as it looks like a higher res PS3 game, as well as the lighting being quite poor in night games.

PES needs to offer more next year as the game itself is very bare bones in key areas, thankfully the game on the pitch is pretty decent.

Top Bottom