• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Face-Off: PES 2015

Mr Moose

Wow if that had been the mentality last gen. Port 360 engine to PS3, hey this PS3, it doesnt like this engine, eh, just turn the resolution down till it works.

Konami have chosen something that only works on one console and have done absolutely nothing to improve the situation on the other. If there has ever been a case for 'lazy devs' this is pretty much it. They wrote the code for one console and just arent bothered to find another way to do it for the other console.

Has there ever been a case of such a large disparity between multiplatform titles?

Lots of games on PS3 had a lower resolution than the 360 version.

As for your last question, yes. Ground Zeroes and Call of Duty Ghosts, both 720p/60fps on Xbox One while 1080p/60fps on PS4. (And The Golf Club, whatever that is).

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Konami have chosen something that only works on one console and have done absolutely nothing to improve the situation on the other. If there has ever been a case for 'lazy devs' this is pretty much it. They wrote the code for one console and just arent bothered to find another way to do it for the other console.
No, they have chosen something that works on 3 out of 4 consoles.

c0de

I guess you didn't see my edit before you responded.

Forward rendering is not the same as Deferred. Deferred offers a lot more advantages and is what engine development is (and should) be moving toward. Next year we are going to start seeing flagship titles that are current gen only and if any of them uses a deferred renderer, expect similar results.

Please tell me more about all the advantages and disadvantages of both in your own words.

c0de

They kind of did. There are a lot of awful PS3 ports out there and half the time, they couldn't even turn down the res so it just ran like shit.

But let's be honest, most devs tried to adjust their engines to use the PS3, it just took a lot longer as the Cell was something you had to get used to and required a lot of work to get it running in a decent way.

Mohonky

They kind of did. There are a lot of awful PS3 ports out there and half the time, they couldn't even turn down the res so it just ran like shit.

Not to this extent, some games had res differences, asset differences etc. but we're talking about a game that is using only 44% of what the other console is doing.

Can you homestly say there has been any other game in the past 2 generations that was twice as good on one console as the other? I cant think of any.

Mr Moose

Not to this extent, some games had res differences, asset differences etc. but we're talking about a game that is using only 44% of what the other console is doing.

Can you homestly say there has been any other game in the past 2 generations that was twice as good on one console as the other? I cant think of any.

Bayonetta.

Chobel

Bayonetta? Madden 2008?....

The games are identical outside of the resolution difference and some other minor graphical things. I don't think I would call that "twice as good".

Hasney

But let's be honest, most devs tried to adjust their engines to use the PS3, it just took a lot longer as the Cell was something you had to get used to and required a lot of work to get it running in a decent way.

It wasn't just the cell, it was a very similar problem to what we have here. 360 had 512mb of RAM shared as well as the 10mb EDRAM that could be used however you like and was quite often used for "free" AA.

PS3 having 256mb that could only be used for the system and 256mb that could only be used video card and no fast RAM was a bigger hurdle than programming for the cell ever was. I still took a few years until there were consistently games that were very similar on both platforms, excluding the PS3 lead-platform games.

Mohonky

Lots of games on PS3 had a lower resolution than the 360 version.

As for your last question, yes. Ground Zeroes and Call of Duty Ghosts, both 720p/60fps on Xbox One while 1080p/60fps on PS4. (And The Golf Club, whatever that is).

Ground Zeroes is the same engine........and Ghosts was a shit show all round, Advanced Warfare clearly shows this.

And yes there were PS3 games with a lower res, but there wasnt that big a resolution difference, again, xbone is only doing 44% of what the PS4 is doing here.

Bayonetta.

It seriously wasnt half as bad as the 360 version, unless the PS3 frame rate was in the teens most of the time......

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I am surprised that nobody is mentioning the most important finding: that the PS4 has once again the better grass. #SuchGrass #MuchFoliage #Wow

Hasney

Again, that depends on if you need the esRAM for other things. The more lighting and shadows you have, the harder it would be to even consider using forward+ on the XB1. There isn't a one size fits all solution to everything.

It would be interesting to have a slice of GZ converted to Forward+ to see what tradeoffs that would give, because there is a fuck load of lighting going off in that and it may actually hamstring the XB1 more.

RowdyReverb

Man, I really hope they can get MGS V above 720p on XB1 by the time that comes out. I'd be happy with "1080pr". 720p is the point at which I start to notice the lower resolution.

Mr Moose

Ground Zeroes is the same engine........and Ghosts was a shit show all round, Advanced Warfare clearly shows this.

And yes there were PS3 games with a lower res, but there wasnt that big a resolution difference, again, xbone is only doing 44% of what the PS4 is doing here.

It seriously wasnt half as bad as the 360 version, unless the PS3 frame rate was in the teens most of the time......

Did you check the % difference between 360 and PS3 games?

Also: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-bayonetta-faceoff

Mohonky

I am surprised that nobody is mentioning the most important finding: that the PS4 has once again the better grass. #SuchGrass #MuchFoliage #Wow

To be fair, the Xbone didnt look like it had grass, it kind of more just looked like a large green smear.

Nope! I think that Fox Engine use deferred rendering and Xbone has a problem with that. Deferred rendering is much more demanding than forward rendering.

DF has larger memory requirements, but it's actually lighter on the gpu because you just run a pass over the geometry storing on big fat buffers and just reuse them to compute the lighting (while in a foward render every light requires a redrawn of the scene).

Xbone "have a problem" with it because it has only 32mb of esram which may not be enough to fill a fat 1080p buffer at once, but the main issue here is that the console wasn't designed in the first place for filling it all at once.

There is nothing strange about it.

A deferred rendering engine with huge amounts of MRT is the worst case scenario out of the common methods of rendering for the Xbone.

The Xbone has 32MB of eSRAM which is the fast stuff where the framebuffer is held. But if you have huge MRTs then the 32MB isn't big enough to hold them all within the eSRAM at high resolutions.

Holding them all in esram is precisely the problem. The console wasn't designed that way, the move engines, the way the gpu virtualized access, it was all designed for a stream-like scenario where data is streamed into esram, the gpu consumes and then it's streamed out.

Dunno whether it's Ms' tools or devs using non adapted engines who are at fault here, but other teams already managed to improve their first try efforts on xbone, and with Fox engine looks like zero improvements were made.

Hasney

Man, I really hope they can get MGS V above 720p on XB1 by the time that comes out. I'd be happy with "1080pr". 720p is the point at which I start to notice the lower resolution.

Engineers from MS were allegedly sent over to Konami so fingers crossed that is the case. Both hoping that people get to play a fantastic looking game in the best enviroment, but also hoping that MS do find a solution that plays well with deferred rendering in general so other 3rd party devs can use it more in the future.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Only resolution is important. Maybe phrase grass in terms of grassolution and I'm in.

Holding them all in esram is precisely the problem. The console wasn't designed that way, the move engines, the way the gpu virtualized access, it was all designed for a stream-like scenario where data is streamed into esram, the gpu consumes and then it's streamed out.

Dunno whether it's Ms' tools or devs using non adapted engines who are at fault here, but other teams already managed to improve their first try efforts on xbone, and with Fox engine looks like zero improvements were made.
I've seen you post several times about using the move engines for that thing, but which game has made those improvements you speak of and where can I see their post-mortems? (Or just technical slides)

nOoblet16

Doesn't horizon 2 also have 4xMsaa?

Because it's not deferred rendered, due to which there is more bandwidth available for MSAA.
If I am not wrong then as of now there are only four 60FPS deferred rendered games on XB1....BF4, MGS:GZ, Plant vs Zombies and PES15....three of which are 720p and the other has a simple visual style.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Damn 1080p vs 720p is only "minor" now huh?

Also watched the part about the "manual replays," is that blue line not the fps? I see that in both versions the blue line goes below the green line, but on the PS4 the numerical counter goes down while the Xbone one says 60.0 throughout.

I didn`t see any huge difference in the video. Might just be Youtube.

c0de

Again, that depends on if you need the esRAM for other things. The more lighting and shadows you have, the harder it would be to even consider using forward+ on the XB1. There isn't a one size fits all solution to everything.

It would be interesting to have a slice of GZ converted to Forward+ to see what tradeoffs that would give, because there is a fuck load of lighting going off in that and it may actually hamstring the XB1 more.

Playground didn't use it in a standard way and adjusted it to fit to the game as described here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-making-of-forza-horizon-2

On a banned site there is to read: "Forza Horizon 2′s Forward Plus Rendering Tech Lets it Display Thousands of Dynamic Lights in Real Time"

It would really be interesting to see how GZ would run if the renderer would more consider the special architecture of Xbox One.

hesido

I'm curious, why they don't use dynamic resolution. There's not much going on main gameplay angles, I don't think there's anything Xbox One couldn't handle with the standard gameplay views, all players have much simpler geometry, no massive crowds compared to closeups and field level camera angles, for example. 1080p could help a lot during main gameplay.

Hasney

Playground didn't use it in a standard way and adjusted it to fit to the game as described here: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-the-making-of-forza-horizon-2

On a banned site there is to read: "Forza Horizon 2′s Forward Plus Rendering Tech Lets it Display Thousands of Dynamic Lights in Real Time"

It would really be interesting to see how GZ would run if the renderer would more consider the special architecture of Xbox One.

Thanks for that link. It looks like they're using clustered shading in combination with standard forward+, which is pretty cool. The main benefit that will bring is that you don't have to buffer every single light by the looks of things, but if you have a lot of lights in your current view, there would be a significant CPU overhead as it would process all these, so it may not be appropriate in certain parts of GZ but is fantastic for a racing game where you zoom past the lights and the only ones that would stay still would be headlights.

Avalanche Studios are actually using that clustered shading/lighting solution on top of deferred renderer (http://www.humus.name/Articles/PracticalClusteredShading.pdf) as they don't have a lot of lights to deal with, so assuming that's what they'll be doing with JC3, it will be fascinating to see the results on XB1.

Genio88

I'm playing the Xbox One version of PES 2015 from about 2 weeks, i used to play FIFA from 2008 till 2 weeks ago, but than i tried the new PES and i saw it was way and way better than FIFA 15, that's the real soccer, gameplay is awesome not even comparable with that garbage EA made...But unfortunately i'm noticed the 720p resolution on One, and it was a bit annoying, but after a while i got used to it and i like better even the graphics and animation of this game than FIFA 15. However komani must stop this and start pushing Xbox One hardware too, instead of duing all tha job on PS4 and just a simple port on Xbone, is not possible that Xbox One can't handle that graphics at 1080p and 60fps, while it can in similar games such as FIFA 15 or the other sports games around, it was a bit understandable in MG Ground Zeroes due the dimension of that game, but even there the gap between 720p vs 1080p seemed too much, 900p and 1080p would be more realistic if they worked as they're supposed to do on Xbox One, unfortunately this seems to me a problem of a pretty traditional japanese company which doesn't like at all foreign console, especially now that that foreign console is not even the market leader console anymore.

Nestunt

Do you want those stutters to end without disconnecting the console?

Reduce your number of friends to around 30
You can even have the auto log on to PES servers

Bearing in mind we are talking here about a small sample size for a statistically relevant analysis. I can say that this solved my problem and I tried everything before.

When I bought PES I had around 80 friends. Stuttering every game. I tried the MTU solution. Still stutter in every game (no reduction). I tried turning off the PES servers. Still stuttering in every game. I tried switching off the auto log in to PES servers and playing with those servers off. Still the same. Only when I disconnected the ethernet cable they completely disappeared. Then I tried all these solutions with 50 friends. Still the same

This morning I reduced to 30 friends. With everything online. No stutter. I did 4 games.

This is some weird shit. But it works and it is something that I think was already mentioned here.

BTW. EU PSN

Percy

Banned
I'm playing the Xbox One version of PES 2015 from about 2 weeks, i used to play FIFA from 2008 till 2 weeks ago, but than i tried the new PES and i saw it was way and way better than FIFA 15, that's the real soccer, gameplay is awesome not even comparable with that garbage EA made...But unfortunately i'm noticed the 720p resolution on One, and it was a bit annoying, but after a while i got used to it and i like better even the graphics and animation of this game than FIFA 15. However komani must stop this and start pushing Xbox One hardware too, instead of duing all tha job on PS4 and just a simple port on Xbone, is not possible that Xbox One can't handle that graphics at 1080p and 60fps, while it can in similar games such as FIFA 15 or the other sports games around, it was a bit understandable in MG Ground Zeroes due the dimension of that game, but even there the gap between 720p vs 1080p seemed too much, 900p and 1080p would be more realistic if they worked as they're supposed to do on Xbox One, unfortunately this seems to me a problem of a pretty traditional japanese company which doesn't like at all foreign console, especially now that that foreign console is not even the market leader console anymore.

Is this serious?

R_Deckard

The Forward + render is a mixture of both and could be called Deferred lighting really to cull areas of the scene not affected by lights, it runs a pre-pass for this.

The Clustered process here grids the entire scene and reduces the pre pass for lights to sections that are or not affected by lights.

Many devs will try many separate render methods over the next few years, as above 1 size never fits all.

c0de

The Forward + render is a mixture of both and could be called Deferred lighting really to cull areas of the scene not affected by lights, it runs a pre-pass for this.

The Clustered process here grids the entire scene and reduces the pre pass for lights to sections that are or not affected by lights.

Many devs will try many separate render methods over the next few years, as above 1 size never fits all.

Let's hope this is true for the devs of the Fox engine, too. It is obvious that other devs already adjusted their engines to a certain degree.

riflen

Casual racism and a complete disregard for the technical discussion. Wonderful shitposting. Welcome to ignore.

BrumGB

Haven't read the face-off yet but what the..

nt7F5Gx.png

Edit: Silly me, I think it's rain on the 'lens'

thelastword

Banned
This faceoff looks like it was done, but they would not publish it till enough persons asked. Perhaps we would never see it if nobody did.

In any case, df really chose to highlight the framerate during replays, well, it being 40fps for a bit on the Ps4. They mention there's a bottleneck due to it, but won't say what that bottleneck is. I wonder why they're reluctant.

They mentioned that the PS4 has better grass and texture filtering, but speak about better filtering on pitch side insignia on the xbone (could it be better filtering due to the 720p blurriness?). Apart from the on pitch stuff though, it doesn't look like you properly see the ads littered across the stadium just beyond the boundary. You could see it crisp on the Ps4 but it's it's extremely blurry on the xbone.

Azdoune said:
Don't forget, FIFA 60fps only availables with one caméra. Others are 30fps.
FIFA rain is a joke.
FIFA ball physic is a nightmare..
Are you serious, never knew this, the last fifa I meddled with was 2011, so only the default camera is 60fps in fifa 2015?

Kar

I'm playing the Xbox One version of PES 2015 from about 2 weeks, i used to play FIFA from 2008 till 2 weeks ago, but than i tried the new PES and i saw it was way and way better than FIFA 15, that's the real soccer, gameplay is awesome not even comparable with that garbage EA made...But unfortunately i'm noticed the 720p resolution on One, and it was a bit annoying, but after a while i got used to it and i like better even the graphics and animation of this game than FIFA 15. However komani must stop this and start pushing Xbox One hardware too, instead of duing all tha job on PS4 and just a simple port on Xbone, is not possible that Xbox One can't handle that graphics at 1080p and 60fps, while it can in similar games such as FIFA 15 or the other sports games around, it was a bit understandable in MG Ground Zeroes due the dimension of that game, but even there the gap between 720p vs 1080p seemed too much, 900p and 1080p would be more realistic if they worked as they're supposed to do on Xbox One. unfortunately this seems to me a problem of a pretty traditional japanese company which doesn't like at all foreign console, especially now that that foreign console is not even the market leader console anymore.
That last sentence..

KageMaru

It's a shame the XBO turned out so poor, the PS4 version is the obvious way to go here. This series has never been an engineering showpiece, so I wasn't really expecting to be blown away. Still it'll be interesting to see how they improve the engine for this game in the future.

Also would love for one face off thread without the console warrior bullshit from people with clear agendas.

spwolf

Not really. PES needed a brand new engine and Konami happened to have one knocking around, so it made sense to use it. Unfortunately, the Fox Engine was designed around having a lot of memory bandwidth to play around with as the deferred rendering model requires that, but it has a lot of benefits as outlined in the article I linked to above, especially with lighting as shown on Ground Zeroes. It's very likely that they designed this before they saw what the design of the XB1 was going to be as they didn't go around and talk to devs early on like Cerny claims Sony did. So they knew what the PS4 approach would be, but not the XB1. Judging by that GDC talk in 2013 and how the engine was pretty much complete at that point, it would all point to that being the case.

If they went with making another brand new engine, we'd still be waiting. If anything sucks (and I'm not saying anything does, just pointing out where the issue lies), it's with the XB1 memory layout being very unambitious and possibly even backwards thinking. I actually think the DDR3 and tiny amount of esRAM is going to hold back a lot of 3rd party games on all formats.

this is their brand new engine, so there wont be a new one.. they might be optimizing it more for XB1, but really if they want "parity" they have to make PS4 version worse I guess, since hardware is not at parity.

Plus here 60 fps locked was priority, so 900p with some dips would not have worked.

NHale

The X360 was the market leader in what reality?

Biker19

Banned
Not really a surprising result when you consider the XBO hardware. I expect more multiplat games ending up like this in the future.

Especially when future 3rd party games are going to be running off of more powerful gaming engines as well as with also using deferred rendering. Xbox One won't be able to keep up with that.

In the future, we'll probably be seeing PS4 multiplat games in 900p & more Xbox One multiplat games in Native 720p or in Sub-HD.

Nope! I think that Fox Engine use deferred rendering and Xbone has a problem with that. Deferred rendering is much more demanding than forward rendering.

Doesn't Metro 2033 and Last Light use a Deferred Rendering Engine? 4A Games managed to get that up 912p.

Top Bottom