• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Final Fantasy 15: PS4 Pro Gameplay - First Look/Tech Analysis

gatti-man

I'll wait for the PC version. I thought the early big pro games might tempt me but this seems like nothing not worthy and frame pacing really sucks. It's why I don't have SLI on PC. It makes 50fps feel like 25-30 and 30 feel like 20.

what do i need to explain? we have evidence some games performing worse than og console; others have serious framepacing issues on ps4pro. I can bet here nobody's thought that shit could even happen before ps4pro launch and that concerns me for the future considering how much sony is pushing for higher resolutions.

Thank you for your "concern". We'll be fine.
But i agree it's good to be critical. And most of us will be in a reasonable way.

Yes, really.

Do you have a better idea? I noted very clearly that it couldn't capture the effect but I wanted to show SOMETHING different to keep people watching while discussing HDR.

The only other option is just to show more random gameplay with HDR disabled.

I know some people enjoy off-screen footage here even if it's not accurate.

I have thought recently about this a bit. It should in theory be possible to code up a script that takes an HDR image and outputs two images, one in which the lower brightness values are mapped to the typical gamma curve for standard dynamic range, and another image where the upper values are mapped down to the typical gamma curve for SDR. This would be able to give some hints as to the range of contrast and increased detail capture due to the greater bit depth. I've thought about doing this myself in MATLAB, but I simply don't have time to do the research to do it properly right now. Maybe once classes end in a few weeks I can take a stab at this.

I also don't know where to get HDR images, and I know this is probably especially tricky for console games due to lacking the capture hardware.

You could approximate this at the moment by using two cameras capturing the same footage with different exposure levels. This would be pretty hard to get 'right' but should give a better idea of the effect than a single camera can.

if the final version is currently at 40-50fps at least we'll at least get a rock solid 30fps for release on the pro. if not 60 if they make it (dont believe they will)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Am I the only one basically not noticing any difference between the Pro vs. "lightweight" footage? Honestly there were parts where I thought the lightweight footage looked slightly better lol.

Am I the only one basically not noticing any difference between the Pro vs. "lightweight" footage? Honestly there were parts where I thought the lightweight footage looked slightly better lol.

Most of the differences between the lightweight and high quality version are in terrain details. The things I noticed most while playing the Judgement demo were increased vegetation, better detail on the far away mountains (still not great, but they were more defined), improved AF on ground textures, better AA on things like power lines, and a lot less sheen on metallic surfaces and the hair.

Bebpo

Banned
if the final version is currently at 40-50fps at least we'll at least get a rock solid 30fps for release on the pro. if not 60 if they make it (dont believe they will)

That's assuming there's a locked 30fps mode. We may end up getting a HQ mode that looks nice but drops below 30fps + a LQ mode that runs unlocked 40-50fps.

That's assuming there's a locked 30fps mode. We may end up getting a HQ mode that looks nice but drops below 30fps + a LQ mode that runs unlocked 40-50fps.

We already had DF test both I believe. The HQ mode holds 30 FPS fairly well but has frame pacing issues.

Ferr986

While playing I only notice the better LOD on some distant mountains and AF on terrain.

GIF

NLYeIgJ.gif

Bi4ulET.gif

Fredrik

I don't know if a screenshot shows it well or not, but this part in the video really showed the difference the higher resolution can make to me. The mountains in the distance are so blurry on the lightweight (base PS4) mode. The detail stays so crisp in HQ mode.

uC3y8WB.png
Sadly it highlight frame-pacing issues too... Check the dark blue spikes in the graph which aren't there on the light blue graph.

Top Bottom