• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Mario Rabbids "A superb Switch tech showcase"

LordKano

Ey im just dissapointed a few (exclusive) games won't use the pretty screen very well, thats all.

Even Wiu didn't have sub 720p on the exclusives no matter the graphics.

Quite a few had, actually. Pokkén first comes to mind. Both Splatoon & Zelda had dynamic res that could go lower than 720p.

I've run into a few bugs, and the game could use a little bit of polish in some areas, but overall the game looks and runs really well. It's fun af and addictive while looking spectacular at the same time. Biggest surprise for me this year by far.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Its a gorgeous looking game most of the time but I've had it hitch up at least three times where the screen freezes for a solid second and then fast forwards to where the inputs say the characters should be. Its weird

I really want to see what this engine can do on the switch. Like, moving some sliders around, can the Division or Assassins Creed Origins run on the Switch?

nynt9

I really want to see what this engine can do on the switch. Like, moving some sliders around, can the Division or Assassins Creed Origins run on the Switch?

I mean, a linear, limited perspective, sub native res, very simple (visually) game like Mario + rabbids doesn't even hit perfect 30fps and during action it drops.

ACO/division are open world games with complex geometry and fast paced gameplay.

What do you think?

Battery seems to last quite awhile in portable mode. Wonder if it's not using boost mode.

I played it a bunch in portable mode and I thought it looked great. Snake pass was way too blurry at launch but this looks quite nice.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm excited to see if Ubisoft has more titles in the work that take advantage of Snowdrop. It does look really good, although it's a shame it's only 600p portable.

I mean, a linear, sub native res, very simple (visually) game like Mario + rabbids doesn't even hit perfect 30fps and during action it drops.

ACO/division are open world games with complex geometry and fast paced gameplay.

What do you think?

I'm not tech savvy at all, but this comes across as one of the most lazy things that I see repeated and I don't understand why.

What about this game is *very simple*? Even just visually as you specified? It's bright, very colourful, brilliantly animated with great attention to detail.

But like I say I'm not tech savvy so maybe this game was easy as pie to make lol.

Ey im just dissapointed a few (exclusive) games won't use the pretty screen very well, thats all.

As another user pointed out, Wii-U did have some games that could go sub-720p. I'd worry about this more if it were glaringly obvious, but the DF team couldn't even tell right away.

The game is awesome and looks good but still not seeing how the graphics are amazing like many say.
Maybe if it was 720p in portable mode, it'd shine more.

Astral Dog

As another user pointed out, Wii-U did have some games that could go sub-720p. I'd worry about this more if it were glaringly obvious, but the DF team couldn't even tell right away.

Quite a few had, actually. Pokkén first comes to mind. Both Splatoon & Zelda had dynamic res that could go lower than 720p.
Ok, maybe it won't be as frequent as i fear, impressive effort from Ubisoft regardless

It's a beautiful game, the best I've seen on the Switch. That said, when the performance drops, it really drops.

- Good AA solution + clever use of DoF means it is hard to tell the game isn't running at 720p in handheld mode.

Yeah, I don't agree with that. I haven't got a trained eye and I could tell almost instantly.

Do they mention the random pauses occasionally in handheld mode? It works flawlessly for me docked but in handheld it'll occasionally just freeze for like half a second

nynt9

I'm not tech savvy at all, but this comes across as one of the most lazy things that I see repeated and I don't understand why.

What about this game is *very simple*? Even just visually as you specified? It's bright, very colourful, brilliantly animated with great attention to detail.

But like I say I'm not tech savvy so maybe this game was easy as pie to make lol.

If you look at some footage of the division, the amount of objects present in any given scene (and how you can interact with them), the level geometry, the number of NPCs with independent AI behavior that all need to react to the environment and the player in real time (as opposed to this game being turn based), the way you can nonlinearly traverse the world, how you can rotate your camera in any direction and look at different parts of the world, how the game has seamless online multiplayer etc. All make the game a significantly more complex piece of software.

This is not a value judgment on the games. MRKB is a pretty game and it's fun, but its scope and complexity are very limited compared to the games you mention.

LCGeek

formerly sane

Cause it basically wants to dismiss the actual tech the game is running at. There's nothing of substance to validate the claim and considering the game is running on snowdrop makes the claim look ridiculous.

Do they mention the random pauses occasionally in handheld mode? It works flawlessly for me docked but in handheld it'll occasionally just freeze for like half a second

Try rebooting the system. 50p says it'll fix your issue.

As for anyone wondering for a blurrier game than this - try the Switch version of Skylanders. Sweet blurry jeebus.

I mean, a linear, limited perspective, sub native res, very simple (visually) game like Mario + rabbids doesn't even hit perfect 30fps and during action it drops.

What do you think?

What makes yoh think this game is visually simple?

seriously?

I disagree with Zelda having perfect IQ (lol no) but Rabbids is a super pretty game. The art really carries it in places. Doesn't look too out of place as far as current gen games go. Especially the cartoony ones. Like DF says, the AA solution in combo with the DOF (which can be too agressive sometimes imo) gives it a really clean look.

patientx

Ubi needs to build another zombiU ,it wont be zombiu though; or a mid tier fps maybe a rainbow six or splinter cell spinoff for switch with the engine. It shows great promise.

MTC100

Banned
Zelda looks good (mostly because of art style), but close to perfect IQ on a 50 inch? just lol

It looks perfectly fine in motion, I know screenshots capture the hard truth but even they sometimes look like the game looks in motion on my TV:

DD_wn_IVYAE3Ayr.jpg:large

for example. I also played The Witcher 3 on the same 50" TV and even in 1080p it didn't have the same IQ(heavy aliasing) and looked very hard on the eyes, I had to downsample the game from 1440p to get decent IQ. Yes it has much more details but still the IQ was worse in 1080p than BotWs 900p. The simplistic looks surely helps a lot of course, Nintendo did a good job in measuring what the Switch could handle and tailoring the game around it. -Pop Ups aside I was fine with the resolution/graphics about 95% of the time and by time I mean a playtime of roughly 150+ hours.

Which Switch games are sub 720p in tv mode?

He's clearly comparing Switch in handheld mode to the Wii U, as it should be (and is) quite a bit stronger. But the initial assumption being incorrect (that no Wii U games were sub 720p) sorta invalidated the argument.

If you look at some footage of the division, the amount of objects present in any given scene (and how you can interact with them), the level geometry, the number of NPCs with independent AI behavior that all need to react to the environment and the player in real time (as opposed to this game being turn based), the way you can nonlinearly traverse the world, how you can rotate your camera in any direction and look at different parts of the world, how the game has seamless online multiplayer etc. All make the game a significantly more complex piece of software.

This is not a value judgment on the games. MRKB is a pretty game and it's fun, but its scope and complexity are very limited compared to the games you mention.

Moving some sliders down and working some dev magic, I'm sure it can be done. Reduce the draw distance, lower the clutter, lower the textures, reduce the lighting/shadows, etc. I'm sure it can be done. If Zelda, a huge open world with lots of stuff on the screen can be done, I'm sure this engine can work some magic too.

Not necessarily true, Pokken ran at something like half of 720p if I remember correctly, though I think Pokken DX is also running at a sub-HD undocked lol. There are two clocks for undocked from what I've heard, and I'm guessing most games are running at the lower setting in order to conserve battery life.

Is 600p the same resolution snake pass uses? Because that game in portable mode is difficult to look at.

Nope, Snake Pass actually runs sub-480p undocked lol. 600p is closer to what Splatoon runs at in multiplayer undocked or what Zelda runs at whenever you're in a town/at a stable.

A turn-based strategy game is perfect for the Switch form factor. Throw a Mario skin over it and you got a real gem. What an awesome surprise for Switch owners.

Tahnit

Banned
wait a minute. If it’s running at 900p docked why is it having to go down to 600p handheld? Why not 720p for that native pixel resolution?

Lylo

wait a minute. If it’s running at 900p docked why is it having to go down to 600p handheld? Why not 720p for that native pixel resolution?

If the game is having trouble going over 900p on docked mode, why do you assume that it should run at 720p undocked?

sikkinixx

I find the game looks kinda fuzzy in handheld mode (haven't tried docked). The character portraits and menus all look sharp as hell but the in game stuff looks odd, the colours are overly bright to te point of seeming a tad washed out compared to something like Mario Kart.

Top Bottom