• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry may not be covering Hogwarts Legacy (Update: Cunts showed up to John's home to harass him prior to all of this.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senua

If Alex isn't doing it does that mean no PC video at all, do any of the other dudes do PC vids anymore?

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I don't think "science" means what you think it means, when scientific organizations explicitly disagree with how JK frames sex and gender and the interplay between them. Que the pivot to claiming science is now overrun with SJWs, so now science is whatever anyone wants to say it is.
Nice try, but you don't know what you're talking about.

There was zero scientific revelation about "trans" people at any time during the past decades. There are various pop-science discussions of things like comparing brain scans (lol, if you know plasticity you know how to understand the lack of significance here) and other absurd things, but actually there is still simply not a single piece of science anywhere that even suggests "trans" identity has a basis in anything non-psychological.

In fact, the entire etiology of the "trans" identity has absolutely nothing to do with the rare "intersex" conditions that these "sex is a spectrum" ideas use as a shield for a political view (site note: "intsersex" is a bad and dated label; scientifically, all intersex conditions are specific developmental failures of either males or females during their respective development, and there is no actual in-between state involved; that's why these are called developmental sex disorders now which belong under the column of one or the other sex, not "intersex" at all).

Sex isn't a spectrum, I'm sorry. And science does not support that view. And using rare & sad developmental sexual disorders to try and provide a shield for the unrelated, often purely fetishistic "trans" identity is as retrograde as it is disgusting.

Tripolygon

Banned
Women menstruate. Why is this so hard? Why do you want to pervert language and bastardize it?

Women menstruate. Is that not a factual statement?
Not all women menstruate. For example, (post) Menopausal women do not menstruate.

Also language changes as our knowledge about ourselves and our world changes. Biology is a fascinating subject.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Mr Rogers Clown GIF
Once again ignoring the entire argument because he doesn't understand reductio ad absurdum.

I spelled it out pretty damn clearly, and as usual you have nothing to say but deflect deflect deflect.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not all women menstruate. For example, (post) Menopausal women do not menstruate.

Also language changes as our knowledge about ourselves and our world changes. Biology is a fascinating subject.
They still did menstruate at one time.

Language should change naturally, not with forced agenda. Well, it does as well, with gaslighting and totalitarian tactics.

Once again, JK Rowling did nothing wrong. She stood up as a women from ideologues stripping her agency by taking away "woman" to perverse the language to "people that menstruate" considering that after menopause you don't, amirite? So what does that make her then? "Post person who once used to menstruate."

Fucking lunacy.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Biology is a fascinating subject.
And over time it'll lead to problems if people misclassify their birth.

For example, when governments send out census surveys wanting to know who and how many people live in a house, they are tabulating that data for long term planning.... schools, hospitals, and very likely services related to people born men or women.

If people are born one sex and classify themselves as another because they see gender/sex boxes as interchangeable, it muddies the waters as to the real number of people who have innies or outies.

It'd be like 60 year olds classifying themselves as 30 year olds because they feel young.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Prey tell, how does the general discourse around here lead you to believe what I mentioned ree does, and has recently done, show to be the same outside the confines on this forum?

This. The whole trying to frame this place as the same as the other is a total farce.
First off, you can stop the strawmaning as I stated your claim of what upsets "you" about Ree was reasonable. I too take issue with someone creating websites that harass and bully people and mass harassment on social media.

I disagreed with you on the claim that is the only thing people on gaf dog Ree about. That claim is reductive and doesn't cover the scope of the rivarly that these two forums have.

I stated many other people on "gaf" have stronger feelings towards the general goings on at Ree other than the issues you brought up. This would include but not limited to shaming others for thinking different than you, and participating in cancel culture rhetoric.

BeardGawd

Banned
This is such a silly strawman. No one disagrees on any matter of science or biology, the only debate is over how to treat people and where they're allowed to go. Those aren't medical concerns they're social and you know this.

I don't know why everyone retreats to this "I'm just a humble scientist" routine, do you really think that convinces anyone?

Again look, if you don't think trans people have rights, then you probably aren't going to be asking the question "Does she support trans rights?" But that was the question that was asked and that's what I answered, dude.

She's not the only transphobe, fine, that's really not something we have to litigate.
So Trans Rights should be different from everyone elses? What about Human rights? Why can't we all be treated the same? I can't go into a womam's locker room because I have a Penis. I cant play sports against women because I have a penis. This is basic level fairness. Same should apply to anyone else. People can play dress up and do all this other stuff to make themselves happy but violating OTHER people's rights is a no go.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I guess I should ask in here then, if I pick this up and have a 3080, am I good to go to play it on max settings at 1440 P? I doubt 4K will work.

As for them, not wanting to cover it, I think it’s stupid, but ultimately, I’m still going to use their videos. Unlike them I can separate moronic aspects of decisions made, or things said, and make use of the product. Similar to how I don’t give a shit what the author of these books has to say about any of her views, and still enjoy this game.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
And over time it'll lead to problems if people misclassify their birth.

For example, when governments send out census surveys wanting to know who and how many people live in a house, they are tabulating that data for long term planning.... schools, hospitals, and very likely services related to people born men or women.

If people are born one sex and classify themselves as another because they see gender/sex boxes as interchangeable, it muddies the waters as to the real number of people who have innies or outies.
For a more specific consequence: males are dangerous to women in a way that females simply aren't statistically, to the point where the question "is this person actually male" when assigning someone to a women's prison is absolutely critical to get right and not obfuscate.

Right now we have male sex offenders (greatly overrepresented in the "trans-woman" population fyi, as much as that tries to be swept under the rug) who are being mis-classified as women for a political reason, and that's a huge problem that Rowling has also pointed out.

Your actual sex is a public fact, not a private one. It has consequences as it not something you have any say in whatsoever.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So Trans Rights should be different from everyone elses? What about Human rights? Why can't we all be treated the same? I can't go into a womam's locker room because I have a Penis. I cant play sports against women because I have a penis. This is basic level fairness. Same should apply to anyone else. People can play dress up and do all this other stuff to make themselves happy but violating OTHER people's rights is a no go.
The argument is you can go into the women's locker room if you want to.

All you got to do is make a stand you feel like a woman.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
They have a Ree account, of course they ain't touching that game.

SF Kosmo

You have no argument, You have indoctrination.
Then tell me why one thing I said was false. I'll wait.

Once again:
No one is challenging whether women generally menstruate, and no one ever was. But no one would suggest womanhood is defined by menstruation, so the two aren't interchangeable.

Women menstruate. Is that not a factual statement?
Transmen mentstruate. Is that not a factual statement?
Some women do not menstruate. Is that not a factual statement?
Thus, the phrase "people who menstruate," more precisely includes the group that use birth control than does the phrase "women." Is that not a factual statement?

And again ALL OF this is editorial shit, it's not science, so your initial position that the disagreement was scientific is clearly bullshit.

Last edited:
I guess I should ask in here then, if I pick this up and have a 3080, am I good to go to play it on max settings at 1440 P? I doubt 4K will work.

As for them, not wanting to cover it, I think it’s stupid, but ultimately, I’m still going to use their videos. Unlike them I can separate moronic aspects of decisions made, or things said, and make use of the product. Similar to how I don’t give a shit what the author of these books has to say about any of her views, and still enjoy this game.
I saw a few pc performance vids on YouTube if it can help, I decided to go with the ps5 version even if I have a 3070 and 5600x cpu and didn't want to possibly have to deal with a possible poor performance at launch

BeardGawd

Banned
The argument is you can go into the women's locker room if you want to.

All you got to do is make a stand you feel like a woman.
Which is bullshit because that's not why the rule was implemented in the first place. People of the SAME biology use tbe same room. You don't habe Urinals in women's bathroom for a reason.

Yeah. On Ultra (RT off) I was getting 60+ fps. Inside hogwarts though, it'll be a stuttery mess regardless.
I used geforce experience to set more modest settings. It's a mix of medium, high, ultra. Last time I checked I was getting 90+ fps near the forbidden forest.

MarkMe2525

This. The whole trying to frame this place as the same as the other is a total farce.
I forgot to address your second statement. Again, you are being reductive and dishonest. My statement that "many people on here have become the exact thing they hate" and other similiar statements are directed at specific individuals. I don't like to generalize and stating that I am trying to frame Neogaf, as a whole, as the same as Ree is just incorrect. I believe there are many reasonable people on Neogaf and as a whole, its a great place to be

Tripolygon

Banned
The fact that menstruation is specific to being female does not and has not changed, even slightly.
There are more species of animals that do not menstruate than there are those that menstruate yet we classify some as female. In science things are classified and reclassified all the time as knowledge expands. The fact that we classified XX chromosome as female and XY as male yet we have people who present differently than the chromosome would suggest. There are XXX, XXY and various combination of chromosomes than originally thought.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Alex is not covering the game:

x5Vo0sH.png

Cowards confirmed

Saying I’m not covering the game to my knowledge leads me to believe they don’t choose the games they do performance videos on.

This could very well be out of their hands, and I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. If it was truly about being afraid of the Reee crowd, then they would’ve never touched Cyberpunk.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There are more species of animals that do not menstruate than there are those that menstruate yet we classify some as female. In science things are classified and reclassified all the time as knowledge expands. The fact that we classified XX chromosome as female and XY as male yet we have people who present differently than the chromosome would suggest. There are XXX, XXY and various combination of chromosomes than originally thought.
We are talking about humans here.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
The phrase "people who menstruate," more precisely includes the group that use birth control than does the phrase "women." Is that not a factual statement?

And again ALL OF this is editorial shit, it's not science, so your initial position that the disagreement was scientific is clearly bullshit.

lol, okay, let's just dehumanize by breaking every single piece of biology down and stripping them from "women" even though certain things are specific to women.

By that logic ("it's more accurate!") then you must surely support using the term "people who wear female-associated clothing" instead of "women" when we're talking about "transwomen"? It's certainly more accurate.

Of course, the lifeblood of trans politics is this double reversal where they fight every day to strip actual women of their own language (eg. invading midwife groups and forcing the term "birthing people" instead of women or mothers) while--at the same time--insisting that the term "women" must be applied to the trans males or they'll die from the pain of it all. In other words: females no longer use the term "women," only the trans can claim it

Yeah no thanks. Most women don't want their real sex to be reduced to a costume made to fit into male trans fetishes.

Tripolygon

Banned
They still did menstruate at one time.
Not all women menstruate, women with XXX chromosome do not.
Language should change naturally, not with forced agenda. Well, it does as well, with gaslighting and totalitarian tactics.
Language is changing, it always does.
Once again, JK Rowling did nothing wrong. She stood up as a women from ideologues stripping her agency by taking away "woman" to perverse the language to "people that menstruate" considering that after menopause you don't, amirite? So what does that make her then? "Post person who once used to menstruate."
Nobody is stripping away at her agency, in the same way a Trans Man is not stripping away at my agency just because they identify as a man. My life is not affected in anyway at all by someone identifying as a man.
Fucking lunacy.
Indeed.

Stimpack

I just wanted basic coverage from a site that's entire existence is to provide that information.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Not all women menstruate, women with XXX chromosome do not.

Language is changing, it always does.

Nobody is stripping away at her agency, in the same way a Trans Man is not stripping away at my agency just because they identify as a man. My life is not affected in anyway at all by someone identifying as a man.

Indeed.
JK was speaking in the context of herself. As soon as she said, "we used to call it/us women" they attacked her for not adopting their Orwellian newspeak. So yes, they are stripping away her agency. As we should call them "people who wear female-associated clothing."

Same shit, but only one will go 0-100 with death in their eyes and words.

Its the ignorance that gets me.
Nobody is being ignorant. Other than "people who want to strip and relabel shit and obfuscate langue oh and may or may not birth and menstruate or ride a Harley."

It's dehumanizing language.

Last edited:

Kacho

So, have DF announced them boycotting the game or just radio silence? Need to know if I should unsub from their YouTube channel.
They haven't declared a boycott like their parent site Eurogamer has, it's just Alex and John raising their hands saying they won't be the ones covering it. I get the feeling Alex and John don't want to risk their status with the REE crowd, hence their caginess.

SF Kosmo

lol, okay, let's just dehumanize by breaking every single piece of biology down and stripping them from "women" even though certain things are specific to women.
1) "People" is not generally considered dehumanizing, and in fact by AP style considerations is considered a preferred way to humanize groups.

2) It's not specific to women, because transmen also menstruate, even if they are a relatively small percent of those that do.
3) It doesn't include all women, many women do not menstruate.

And no one is being attacked for using the phrase women, it's just that this editor chose not to because they were referring to something specific to menstruation rather than womanhood broadly.

By that logic ("it's more accurate!") then you must surely support using the term "people who wear female-associated clothing" instead of "women" when we're talking about "transwomen"? It's certainly more accurate.
Most contexts don't really benefit from being overly precise in your language like that. But some might. This is, again, an editorial conversation.

Of course, the lifeblood of trans politics is this double reversal where they fight every day to strip actual women of their own language (eg. invading midwife groups and forcing the term "birthing people" instead of women or mothers) while--at the same time--insisting that the term "women" must be applied to the trans males or they'll die from the pain of it all. In other words: females no longer use the term "women," only the trans can claim it
This is crazy talk. Rowling was the one objecting to someone's use of language here. No one is forcing anyone to excise the word woman. Rowling just didn't like someone being more precise when referring to issues specific to menstruation.

This is again like how some people CHOOSE to say Happy Holidays in order to be more inclusive, and that that in no way constitutes a "War on Christmas," nor does it mean you are not allowed to say "Merry Christmas" anymore.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Saying I’m not covering the game to my knowledge leads me to believe they don’t choose the games they do performance videos on.

This could very well be out of their hands, and I’m willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. If it was truly about being afraid of the Reee crowd, then they would’ve never touched Cyberpunk.
Well, apparently no one from Digital Foundry has any knowledge about what is happening game, only whether they're not personally covering the game.

Will Smith Reaction GIF

Seems rather odd.

BeardGawd

Banned
1) "People" is not generally considered dehumanizing, and in fact by AP style considerations is considered a preferred way to humanize groups.

2) It's not specific to women, because transmen also menstruate, even if they are a relatively small percent of those that do.

And no one is being attacked for using the phrase women, it's just that this editor chose not to because they were referring to something specific to menstruation rather than womanhood broadly.

Most contexts don't really benefit from being overly precise in your language like that. But some might. This is, again, an editorial conversation.

This is crazy talk. Rowling was the one objecting to someone's use of language here. No one is forcing anyone to excise the word woman. Rowling just didn't like someone being more precise when referring to issues specific to menstruation.

This is again like how some people CHOOSE to say Happy Holidays in order to be more inclusive, and that that in no way constitutes a "War on Christmas," nor does it mean you are not allowed to say "Merry Christmas" anymore.
I will repost this for you because you don't seem to understand.

A WOMAN is a HUMAN FEMALE. Just like a Hen is a female chicken and a Rooster is a male chicken.

But just because someone is feminine and has surgery does not make them a woman. That makes them a Transwoman. Which is not a bad thing but there has to be differentiation.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Oh, because clearly we are all objecting to them being called "people"... not objecting to them being called menstruators or "people who menstruate" in awkwardly dehumanizing formulations. C'mon son.

Guess what? Those "transmen" are in fact women, in every case. So it is indeed specific to women.

Even moreso, it is due to their femaleness specifically that "transmen" might menstruate, so it makes absolute sense to refer to their reality of being women when discussing that topic.

Actually, no. Rowling has been calling attention repeatedly to the direct bullying of women, to all the places where they are even being forced to refer to their male abusers as women. I guess you should read her a bit more before commenting.

Last edited:
So. Just had a private conversation on Twitter with Linneman. He actually messaged me. I won't post the transcript but take my word for it. So basically what he told me is that he hates Harry Potter and that's why he won't cover it. But it will be covered. Juts not by him. They don't have the game yet. He also told me that someone he believed to be a person from Resetera showed up at his doorstep and that made it personal for him. He dislikes the place as much as we do actually. They somehow got a hold of his address.
OuFA9ZQ.jpg

George Orwell said that “the further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it.”

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh, because clearly we are all objecting to them being called "people"... not objecting to them being called menstruators or "people who menstruate" in awkwardly dehumanizing formulations. C'mon son.
Transwomen are only allowed the label "women" now, while those biological... things... over there shall be called "people who menstruate" (even though the mental gymnastics in here tried a gotcha by saying they don't after menopause, hurr durr) ... mind blown. I know.

But totes not dehumanizing towards females. Totes.

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That's because Transmen are female
Let's look at the word
Menstruate
discarding the monthly buildup of the lining of your uterus (womb). Menstrual blood and tissue flow from your uterus through the small opening in your cervix and pass out of your body through your vagina.

Makes sense, No?
Amenorrhea
Amenorrhea is the absence of menstruation, often defined as missing one or more menstrual periods. Primary amenorrhea refers to the absence of menstruation in someone who has not had a period by age 15
The most common cause is pregnancy. However, amenorrhea may also be caused by various lifestyle factors, including body weight and exercise levels. In some cases, hormonal imbalances or problems with the reproductive organs might be the cause. You should see your doctor if you're experiencing amenorrhea.
The phrase "people who menstruate," more precisely includes the group that use birth control than does the phrase "women." Is that not a factual statement?
Birth Control
A pill used to prevent pregnancy. It contains hormones that block the release of eggs from the ovaries. Most birth control pills include estrogen and progestin. Also called oral contraceptive pill.

Trans men who are using hormone therapy can take the progestogen-only pill safely. However, the combined contraceptive pill and other types of combined contraception (e.g. the patch and ring) aren't recommended. This is because they contain oestrogen, which can disrupt the effects of hormone therapy

Trans Women
Unfortunately, for transgender women the birth control pill or other contraceptive methods with estrogen are not a form of gender affirming therapy. The form and dosage found in contraception is different from that prescribed specifically for transgender women.

So no, it's just for women
it's not science.
It clearly is.
giphy.webp

Last edited:

Kacho

So. Just had a private conversation on Twitter with Linneman. He actually messaged me. I won't post the transcript but take my word for it. So basically what he told me is that he hates Harry Potter and that's why he won't cover it. But it will be covered. Juts not by him. They don't have the game yet. He also told me that someone he believed to be a person from Resetera showed up at his doorstep and that made it personal for him. He dislikes the place as much as we do actually. They somehow got a hold of his address.
OuFA9ZQ.jpg
Thanks for posting this. Distancing himself from this game sounds like a wise move. And if they ultimately cover the game it's water under the bridge.

SaucyJack

Then tell me why one thing I said was false. I'll wait.

Once again:
No one is challenging whether women generally menstruate, and no one ever was. But no one would suggest womanhood is defined by menstruation, so the two aren't interchangeable.

Thus, the phrase "people who menstruate," more precisely includes the group that use birth control than does the phrase "women." Is that not a factual statement?

This argument is just linguistic fuckwittery that adds no value. This fuckwittery is what made Matt Walsh’s film work so easily, with the interviewees making all his points for him. It’s ridiculous and we all see through it.

The ”people that menstruate” thing that set JKR off is dehumanising to women, at least in her view. It’s a legitimate point of view. Not at all hateful. “People” menstruate because they have a female reproductive system, no male ever menstruated. “Transmen“ menstruate because they’re female.

You don’t win arguments in the long term just by redefining language, it eventually collides with reality.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
OuFA9ZQ.jpg
So why the fuck do they still partake in that community? Stockholm Syndrome?

I will never understand that mentality.

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
OuFA9ZQ.jpg
Thanks, this should probably be added to the OP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom