• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry may not be covering Hogwarts Legacy (Update: Cunts showed up to John's home to harass him prior to all of this.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
JK Rowling did nothing wrong. She stated science. You said nobody disagrees with that science. The end.

Keep on keeping on with the mental gymnastics, however.
I don't think "science" means what you think it means, when scientific organizations explicitly disagree with how JK frames sex and gender and the interplay between them. Que the pivot to claiming science is now overrun with SJWs, so now science is whatever anyone wants to say it is.

Crayon

Dictator and Dark like era alot and they would basically be ruined there. That's not the only source of harrassment they would face but they go way back on this board and I'm sure they would take being rejected and dragged by era very hard.

oji-san

Banned
Don’t stoop to the oppositions level and attack them. I already see people commenting on DFs twitter insulting them and whatnot.

It’s their choice to not make a video and it’s everyone’s choice to continue to watch them or support them. No need to insults, death threats, etc etc.

It’s childish.
I agree with you there, i don't like them not reviewing but i would never go and curse or whatever.. just ignore them from now.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Well for a start off your an individual, not an outlet with thousands or even millions of views on a weekly basis.

Which basically means your protest is meaningless in every dimension.

Of course you are entitled to engage in whatever futile protest you choose, if it makes you feel better... cool. Just don't expect anyone to care, or even take you up on the highly likely possibility that among the financial beneficiaries of other products/business you use or patronize daily are categorically worse actors than Chick-Fil-A's management.
It's not a protest, it's just not what I want to spend my money on. I don't think it's gonna change the world, I just don't feel good about handing them money so I don't.

So if DF don't feel good about spending their time and clout on a game, that's more or less the same.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I don't think "science" means what you think it means, when scientific organizations explicitly disagree with how JK frames sex and gender and the interplay between them. Que the pivot to claiming science is now overrun with SJWs, so now science is whatever anyone wants to say it is.
Sex is Gender. That is where the batshit insanity has lost the plot. Divide and conquer and all that malarkey.

And you left that qualifier in the end, because you are projecting what you deep down know to be true.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

You're being absurd. DF is literally a tech analysis platform refusing to cover one of the biggest AAA releases this year, in one of the biggest global franchises in the world, and likely one of the best selling games this year. This isn't some group of fans who do videos, this is their literal job that people pay them to do. You pretending the huge political elephant in the room isn't what's dictating these decisions is what is flatly embarrassing. Also, this thread of complaints isn't a "mob." I'm a left leaning person that thinks trans people deserve respect and dignity and that JK says dumb shit, but you sound basically like a Ree user who is only here because of the ban on the game with this absolutely terrible take.
There is no definitive statement saying DF are not working on a video. We only know John and Alex aren't working on one. You have incomplete information and are drawing conclusions based on that, this is what I would call "absurd".

Also, the claim that I sound like a Ree user is laughable and ironic. I have the mindset of let people think and act how they want, and one shouldnt jump to conslusions. You make statements that are Akin to the thought police. It isn't their "job" to create content that "YOU" want or think you deserve. They are free to do what the fuck they want and let the free market decide if they want it or not.

Your insistence that they "think" or act a certain way sounds very similiar to the more extreme left of Reeland.

SF Kosmo

Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

Who's "they?"
Fine, me. Let's pretend it's just me.

The point is still clear here, it's not about science.

Last edited:

HoodWinked

Eurogamer isn't reviewing it so it's likely pressured DF to follow suit. Richard seems like the diplomatic type so he will not rock the boat.

But also it is a hilarious backfire cause DF would have only highlighted the game's performance issues and shortcomings which would have given haters good ammunition but are given nothing. So it's not going to get the Calisto Protocol treatment.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Imagine if CNN or whatever decided not to cover the presidential election and when people asked about it they were like “uhh I dunno maybe someone will but tbh I’m not really a fan of politics” even though the guy covered politics before.

DF has been covering multi platform games for as long as it has been around. It always covers the biggest games. Hogwarts is possibly he biggest game of the year. It’s reasonable to expect DF to cover it based on their entire editorial history. If they made an editorial decision not to cover the biggest game of the year they should state so. John’s whole thing was insanely disingenuous considering DF has also, yes, always been upfront about their process for big games (“we just got a copy” etc.)

Last edited:

nikos

I don't care whether they cover it or not, but "we don't have the game yet" is such a shit reason for not covering it. Pretty sure they could afford to buy the game if they wanted to cover it. If they don't, they shouldn't make excuses for it.

People shouldn't make a big deal about it either way, it's up to them to decide which games they want to cover.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Imagine if CNN or whatever decided not to cover the presidential election and when people asked about it they were like “uhh I dunno maybe someone will but tbh I’m not really a fan of politics”
And then they said, "Not a fan of Destiny-like elections." :pie_roffles::pie_roffles::pie_roffles:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Eurogamer isn't reviewing it so it's likely pressured DF to follow suit. Richard seems like the diplomatic type so he will not rock the boat.

But also it is a hilarious backfire cause DF would have only highlighted the game's performance issues and shortcomings which would have given haters good ammunition but are given nothing. So it's not going to get the Calisto Protocol treatment.

I truly love the use of ammunition regarding a videogame. Real warriors use swords and axes.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
My point is that we all know there are differences between transwomen and ciswomen. No one argues the "science", despite the fact that people like to posture behind "I'm just talking about biology."

The questions people disagree on is policy. And there are some situations -- like prison or sports -- where the man/woman binary just doesn't fit these people, and so the policy is controversial. Because while they may not be ciswomen, they really aren't men either. I don't propose to know all the solutions here, I am just saying you won't find them in a science book.

That feels like a stretch. They aren't actively sabotaging the game, they just don't want to help. I think that's an important distinction.
I've debated people who've told me sex is a spectrum, so there are people out there who argue science. They may not be the majority, but they exist.

SaucyJack

My point is that we all know there are differences between transwomen and ciswomen. No one argues the "science", despite the fact that people like to posture behind "I'm just talking about biology."

The questions people disagree on is policy. And there are some situations -- like prison or sports -- where the man/woman binary just doesn't fit these people, and so the policy is controversial. Because while they may not be ciswomen, they really aren't men either. I don't propose to know all the solutions here, I am just saying you won't find them in a science book.

That feels like a stretch. They aren't actively sabotaging the game, they just don't want to help. I think that's an important distinction.

This is REALLY easy. No matter what you choose to believe around gender, sex is binary - male/female. The differences between so called transwomen and ciswomen arise because the former are male and the latter are female.

In the western world men and women have well-established equal rights and have had for many years, sometimes this fails but there is a legal framework for pursuing these issues because the law provides for that equality. When we do differentiate between men and women it is to create separate spaces for females because the biological differences between men and women require us to do so to keep them safe; males have no place in these spaces regardless of how they identify.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Because many people aren't into fantasy and or live service games. It's appalling to see such a reaction. Since when do we champion people being forced to create content that they don't want to. Sounds communist and woke to me. 😀
Its not a live service games, and John has covered multiple open world titles.

They dont need to review it, just a tech analysis.

So no, its not that they have no interest, they just dont want to be hounded by Reeee

The Stig

I expect nothing as they owe my nothing.
I'm a fan of their work, both EG and DF, possibly one of the only text reviews sites i visit often.
It's obvious you are not neutral calling the game dumb but ok.
all i'm saying i'm disappointed with them and there's no reason for that.
woah woah, ive nothing against the game at all. I meant the fact all this is happening over one game is dumb.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I used to love them in the PS4/Xbox One era when it was literally just technical performance. Once their equipment couldn’t work @ 4k or whatever the issue was and they started going towards more general commentary the quality has slowly dipped.

MarkMe2525

Its not a live service games, and John has covered multiple open world titles.

They dont need to review it, just a tech analysis.

So no, its not that they have no interest, they just dont want to be hounded by Reeee
So instead the gaf mobs hound them?

Let's pretend John and Alex have unlimited time and assume the reason those two are not analyzing the game is due to the reasons you stated. So the fuck what. They can do what they want. Go watch another analysis video. Are you the thought police?

The many people on this thread that are claiming they are no longer watching DF because they have not released a video as of yet, are quite literally partaking in "cancel culture". Mind you, these same people dog the extreme left for similiar actions. Like how dense do you have to be not to see that. It's one of the more moronic sentiments I have seen on Neogaf.

The problem with NXGamer on the PC side is that he doesn't have the PC hardware necessary to do a thorough analysis.

Alex does but when he's not virtue signalling he's sat there being fragile and crying instead of actually doing his job.
How does a grown man get like that really? I have been asking myself this question a lot in the last few years. Is it a generational thing? I'm 44, grew up in the 80s and early 90s. It was looked down on for being a pussy and not having a spine. When did things change? I remember in 2016 at a party and someone's teenager through a tantrum over someone saying milk toast things about who they were going to vote for. A 16 year old guy noless. It was unreal. His mom had to shut him down and ground his ass. None of this shit was a thing until 2013 really.. Why.. Or were these people always there, just herd followers?

This game is a big deal and it deserves to be reviewed technically with objectivity and in a non biased way. The creators aren't murdering people and neither is JK. I don't agree with jk on a number of topics but I don't let it stop me buying a game. It's called everyone is allowed opinions. Seperating art from the artist. When I would buy an album, tape or CD years ago, I'm sure some of that money went to buying heroin and mansions. That didn't stop me buying and enjoying good music.

Last edited:

Reallink

I've never been clear on what exactly DFs relationship is to Eurogamer and their parent conglomerate. DF is Patreon funded, and claims to be hiring additional people with Patreon money explicitly, so how exactly does that work? Do they earn 2 salaries? One from Eurogamer, and also a share of Patreon? I never understood why an arm of a major media conglomerate was running a Patreon in the first place, but no one ever seemed to ask or care.

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President

Richard Nosebetter

Loxus

It's not a protest, it's just not what I want to spend my money on. I don't think it's gonna change the world, I just don't feel good about handing them money so I don't.

So if DF don't feel good about spending their time and clout on a game, that's more or less the same.
You really think no one from DF or Reset isn't playing this game in privacy?

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Nobody is hounding them. We are discussing in our own little thread.
So are Ree users held to the same standard when they have their hissy fits within the confines of their own little threads? Is the double standard not obvious? Let's not pretend this isn't the same thing and no gaf users are taking this sentiment to other social media platforms.

There is a reason I use gaf as opposed to other options, but many people on here have become the exact thing they hate.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So are Ree users held to the same standard when they have their hissy fits within the confines of their own little threads? Is the double standard not obvious? Let's not pretend this isn't the same thing and no gaf users are taking this sentiment to other social media platforms.

There is a reason I use gaf as opposed to other options, but many people on here have become the exact thing they hate.
Yes.

It only becomes an issue when they make websites designed to harass streamers and head out in force to other sites and twitter to harass creators, etc.. Which they do and do often.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Her comment was rooted in science. Women menstruate.
Some women menstruate, some don't. Some transmen menstruate. Her statement never had anything to do with science, she was taking umbrage with inclusive language that she felt was overly precise and wordy.

It's more similar to people arguing over Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays than anything resembling a scientific point.
You really think no one from DF or Reset isn't playing this game in privacy?
Obviously a ton of people at era are playing it. I doubt anyone at DF is playing it though, those people barely get free time to play games they aren't making content for.

Last edited:
I'm guessing some of you were waiting for their analysis before pulling the trigger but don't hold your breath. According to a staff member, they won't be covering it and haven't covered the game in a long time anyway.

This is too bad because not only does this game seem to have severe performance issues on PC so far but the bottlenecks are extremely confusing and hard to isolate. Would have been nice if a major outlet tried to get to the bottom of this but DF is out. Not sure if nxgamer will review it either. Haven't heard anything from him.

A6p0aOD.png

QYViaeL.png

Performance on PC seems all over the place and the game is extremely CPU-heavy. There also seems to be memory allocation issues or RAM spillover but this isn't clear. I've seen some high-end machines run it fairly well while others run it like crap. Difficult to tell what's what but it'd be probably be best to wait for the Day 1 patch which I believe is due tomorrow.

I think console performance is fine though.

Nah, ps5 performance is a bit wonky too, particularly in Hogwarts.

oji-san

Banned

What are you talking about?
Did you see here topics for years boycotting games?
Did you see here total ignoring games because some unimaginable reason?
Did you see here people trying to get other people fired since they don't agree with them?

All i can see is people disappointed for not getting review and saying it's not normal.

MarkMe2525

Yes.

It only becomes an issue when they make websites designed to harass streamers and head out in force to other sites and twitter to harass creators, etc.. Which they do and do often.
The general discourse around here doesn't align with your admittedly reasonable assessment. While this may be true for you, I have encountered uncountable examples of users who have "stronger feelings" regarding the goings on over at Ree.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Some women menstruate. Some transmen menstruate. Her statement never had anything to do with science, she was taking umbrage with inclusive language that she felt was overly precise and wordy.

It's more similar to people arguing over Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays than anything resembling a scientific point.
Women menstruate. Why is this so hard? Why do you want to pervert language and bastardize it?

Women menstruate. Is that not a factual statement?

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

DF is being held to their own standards. There are a few things DF is known for. One is covering multi platform games. Two is covering big, AAA games, often within a few days of release if not beforehand. Three is communicating with their readers and viewers about what they are working for and what their immediate plans are. So here we have total silence about a big, AAA, multi platform game, like I said it’s reasonable to wonder what is going on and why they are going dark about this game. Needless to say, if this is how they normally behaved and covered/didn’t cover titles, they wouldn’t be where they are today.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The general discourse around here doesn't align with your admittedly reasonable assessment. While this may be true for you, I have encountered uncountable examples of users who have "stronger feelings" regarding the goings on over at Ree.
Prey tell, how does the general discourse around here lead you to believe what I mentioned ree does, and has recently done, show to be the same outside the confines on this forum?

What are you talking about?
Did you see here topics for years boycotting games?
Did you see here total ignoring games because some unimaginable reason?
Did you see here people trying to get other people fired since they don't agree with them?

All i can see is people disappointed for not getting review and saying it's not normal.
This. The whole trying to frame this place as the same as the other is a total farce.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Women menstruate. Why is this so hard?
Christmas is a Holiday. Why is this so hard?

You keep deflecting by pretending we're having a different conversation. No one is challenging whether women generally menstruate, and no one ever was. But no one would suggest womanhood is defined by menstruation, so the two aren't interchangeable.
Why do you want to pervert language and bastardize it.
I think using the word "science" to mean "language" might qualify as a perversion.

Women menstruate. Is that not a factual statement?
Transmen mentstruate? Is that not a factual statement?
Some women do not menstruate. Is that not a factual statement?
The phrase "people who menstruate," more precisely includes the group that use birth control than does the phrase "women." Is that not a factual statement?

Again this is editorial shit, it's not science.

Last edited:

Tripolygon

Banned
I don’t know, or at least I haven’t read an official statement where JK has come out and said she is clearly and definitively against trans rights. All I have personally seen is her words and some associations are twisted it to a narrative. I feel her narrative is that female rights shouldn’t be overshadowed by trans rights. Again, I haven’t done a thesis on it, and linking to a text summarization on a ree thread isn’t any justification.
But it is pretty clear why she is being boycotted is it not? There is no muddled discussion. You can disagree with it but It's not confusing or hard to follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom