• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry - Several sources indicate Neo will launch this year

UberTag

No way Sony lets PSVR and Neo cannibalize each other.
If Sony is already preparing for PSVR to be supply constrained (just like every other VR hardware launch this year) after the initial wave of pre-orders, they might feel that they can get away with stealth launching Neo regardless.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
As was mentioned in another thread, there's s Japanese E3 interview with Andrew House in which he ties the current FY forecast of 20m PS4 units to Neo - i.e. he effectively confirms it will release by March 2017.

It makes all the sense in the world for it to come for the holidays, imo.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Not sure why anyone would buy NEO with Scorpio on the way. Sony will likely release a console of similiar strength like scorpio next year or the year after.

Because I have a PC? There's literally zero reason for me to own Scorpio seeing as there won't be any exclusive software for it.

On the other hand you need a PS4 or PSNeo to play the exclusives on that platform. The device you play on is just a means to an end. It's about the games that you get to play.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Not sure why anyone would buy NEO with Scorpio on the way. Sony will likely release a console of similiar strength like scorpio next year or the year after.

The Scorpio will play Playstation exclusives?

Xando

Can't wait for that Neo patch for Uncharted 4 so it plays better on my Scorpio in 16 months time.
To play Playstation exclusive?

Don't think you understood what i implied.

With MS releasing Scorpio next year Sony will either announce a machine with similiar strength next year or upgrade the Neo specs. We saw with PS4/XB1 that better hardware does have a impact on buying decision for people buying consoles.

So if there is another machine coming next year with better specs i don't see why anyone would buy neo this year similiar to i wouldn't buy a XB1S with Scorpio on the way.

Toki767

Guess how many people bought a 360 even though the PS3 was coming a year later.

Dinjooh

This thing better have atleast ps1 BC.

image.php

As was mentioned in another thread, there's s Japanese E3 interview with Andrew House in which he ties the current FY forecast of 20m PS4 units to Neo - i.e. he effectively confirms it will release by March 2017.

It makes all the sense in the world for it to come for the holidays, imo.

Agreed. They're gonna have this out just before the holidays, not after.

With MS releasing Scorpio next year Sony will either announce a machine with similiar strength next year or upgrade the Neo specs. We saw with PS4/XB1 that better hardware does have a impact on buying decision for people buying consoles.

So if there is another machine coming next year with better specs i don't see why anyone would buy neo this year similiar to i wouldn't buy a XB1S with Scorpio on the way.

Do we have any data points on that?

Sure, there's a subset of gamers who would think that way, but I'm curious to know if it's as big as you think, or as tiny as I think.

orochi91

Where does it begin and stop though?

There will always be something stronger on the horizon.

Buy a Scorpio, but then it'll get outclassed by the next Sony console. Or, buy a Neo and get outclassed by Scorpio.

This is a never ending cycle.

Raylan

Banned
Not sure why anyone would buy NEO with Scorpio on the way.
Because the Scorpio is still an Xbox. If you are interested in PlayStation, you will buy PlayStation stuff. And it seems like a lot of people are interested in PlayStation after this years E3.

Sony will likely release a console of similiar strength like scorpio next year or the year after.
No they won't. Expect a new PS console ~3 years after the Neo launch.

It's possible Sony will release new one in 2018. But then I'm just going to buy new too :)

I think this could be really good for Sony. Assuming it's about 4.2 teraflops and uses Polaris it won't be weak by any means when compared to the Xbox Scorpio. And if Sony says fuck it, and tells developers to focus on 1080p 60fps instead of pushing 4K then that would really pay off. I mean it will definitely be weaker but the difference would be like the Xbox One vs PS4, games still look pretty good on both consoles and sometimes achieve the same quality. The PS4 Neo would be 30% weaker than the Scorpio much like the Xbox One is 30% weaker than the PS4.

Also, I don't really think 4K makes as much of a difference as some people think it does. I have a 4K TV and have watched 4K shows and movies and it just looks like a slightly cleaner 1080p. After seeing the clean image quality of games like Doom and Uncharted 4 I think good anti-aliasing is where the focus should be. 4K really doesn't look any better when sitting 5 feet away in a living room. For PCs it's fantastic because you're closer and can see the pixels but not on TVs.

That's been clear for quite some time.

That doesn't make a lot of sense. Not according to all the rumours we've heard nor the thread we're in.

My thought process is they announce it at PSX and it's a available now announcement but maybe it will be released earlier than that

Macrotus

This thing better have atleast ps1 BC.

I honestly still can't believe the current PS4 model doesn't have PS1 BC.
Even Vita has it.

I'm not sure if it was this forum, but I remember someone mentioning that Sony was working on a PS1 and PS2 emulator for PS4. And some games even supported high res rendering or whatever.
But since that was before even PS4 release, I guess that was all a lie or something....

This makes no sense. If Neo is ready to launch this year, that will make Scorpio reactionary if anything.

I think it makes sense. While the neo is coming out this year, it seems designed to offer slightly better gfx and that's it, from a gaming point of view. Actually it might offer hdr gaming too but that's all.

Imho the selling point of the neo is not games but 4k TV streaming and upgrading to a 4k blue ray player.

The Scorpio has been designed to be a 4k gaming machine. Whether it meets that or not is another question...but at least it's been designed around a gaming inflection point ( to borrow Phil Spencer's terminology)

I strongly suspect both companies have planned a mid-cyxle upgrade for years, but Sony have chosen theirs around a TV inflection point (and possibly vr) while MS have chosen a gaming point (4k gaming)

brawly

Not true at all, see PS1 and PS2. People will not flock out doves to buy an expensive premium system, especially if the Neo is cheaper.

PS4 was also $100 cheaper at launch and had no bad word of mouth.

That doesn't make a lot of sense. Not according to all the rumours we've heard nor the thread we're in.

My bet is still on Gamescom or PGW, but the more I think about it, the more plausible I find it that they keep the spotlight on their VR headset for the rest of the year, and release the Neo somewhere at the end of the year, or even somewhere at the start of next year.

I don't think they're aiming for a wide adoption with the Neo, but rather to broaden their audience by introducing hardware for the upper crust of consumers, while probably lowering the price on the base model for the lower crust of consumer. As such, I think it would be plausible that they release this thing as low-key as is possible, and just let it pick up steam on its own. They're obviously interested in it doing well financially, but I don't think they're as reliant on adoption as they were with the base PS4 model at launch (which should be obvious).

So, PSVR during the holiday, seeing as that's when you'll capture the biggest mainstream audience. And the Neo at the tail end of December, beginning of next year, seeing as the people it's aimed at would buy hardware at whatever point in the year.

If we want to talk about 'a lot of money" Oculus is $600 and Vive is $800, without the cost of strong PC that can run them. Any PS4 model + PSVR will still be much more affordable than PC+PCVR.

So? People buying PSVR are not interest in a high end VR solution because it's expensive so there is no way they are investing the same amount of money in a headset and a slighty better version of a console that they may already own.

Dinjooh

Interesting. I'm still not sold on the idea that it matters that much, but it was nice to see that link. Either way we'll learn about this first hand in around a year and some change when the tables have been turned.

My thought process is they announce it at PSX and it's a available now announcement but maybe it will be released earlier than that

But that's a release at or around December 5th - I mean, from a business perspective, launching right after black friday? That's... Different, to say the least.

My bet is still on Gamescom or PGW, but the more I think about it, the more plausible I find it that they keep the spotlight on their VR headset for the rest of the year, and release the Neo somewhere at the end of the year, or even somewhere at the start of next year.

I don't think they're aiming for a wide adoption with the Neo, but rather to broaden their audience by introducing hardware for the upper crust of consumers, while probably lowering the price on the base model for the lower crust of consumer. As such, I think it would be plausible that they release this thing as low-key as is possible, and just let it pick up steam on its own. They're obviously interested in it doing well financially, but I don't think they're as reliant on adoption as they were with the base PS4 model at launch (which should be obvious).

So, PSVR during the holiday, seeing as that's when you'll capture the biggest mainstream audience. And the Neo at the tail end of December, beginning of next year, seeing as the people it's aimed at would buy hardware at whatever point in the year.

Sure, but I think a big part of this plan they're trying to execute is a well timed pricedrop for the standard PS4 as well, to really create a difference between the two systems. Lets say the PS4K launches at 399 or 449. With the PS4 being at 349 - I could see them going as low as 249 this holiday season to create this feeling of an entry level system, and a high-end system.

Xando

Not true at all, see PS1 and PS2. People will not flock out doves to buy an expensive premium system, especially if the Neo is cheaper.

PS4 was also $100 cheaper at launch and had no bad word of mouth.

So why would people flock out to buy a neo if the PS4 is cheaper?

Also i'm not talking Neo vs Scorpio rather than Neo vs Neo2/PS5

RedAssedApe

Banned
weren't people touting the 1 year lead time over scorpio as an advantage for sony? seems like the narrative changed once scorpio's target specs were confirmed at ms e3 conference.

kind of seems like a lot of people did a 180. we already knew scorpio was targeting 6teraflops though. is it just because it became "real" after ms made a video with talking heads?

Would be interesting to see what price they launch at if this is the year. MS seems to have attempted to stall the hype for an earlier Neo release by announcing their next step this early.

Completely changing your strategy due to poor console sales and announcing your iterative platform a year and a half out to shoot your newly announced slim model in the knees is planned out and cohesive?

Thats...thats an interesting take.

X1S is only about reaching a lower price point to sell to the more budget-conscious mainstream market without killing profitability they likely have to with the original hardware lowered to the same level. They updated it for current and future TVs and made it more appealing in the process with a shrink and new case design. If someone values more spec for the new Win10/Xbox One ecosystem and they want a console to do it, the X1S isn't going to stop them by simply knowing about Project Scorpio this far in advance. Besides, there are other considerations with regard to more mature PC VR HMD-focused applications and games that hit next year as part of the second wave that need a more powerful baseline of specs to be fully appreciated nevermind run at all. Next year will more likely include a killer app for VR than the current Wii-like blah launch. There's also a chance we'll see multiple HMDs compatible with MS' console...maybe even less expensive and significantly improved 2017 models of existing hardware.

Kayant

Question: Can I say Microsoft is the first-mover in iterative consoles and Sony was reactionary with Neo?

Scorpio alongside Xbox+Win10 integration looks more planned out and cohesive, while Sony's Neo specs suggests a hasty half-step.

In terms of your question Sony were the ones to talk about the idea of iterative consoles first - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1128578

PS4 Neo is XB1 S to Sony in that it address the 4K market with 4K streaming + Blu-ray and likely HDR but they also saw an opportunity to better support 4K gaming at this current time so it terms of directly supporting 4K gaming yh you can see it as a "half-step" but it's not reaction to MS.

Announcing your product 18m or whatever it is from launch sounds more like MS are the ones being reacting to Neo especially given this rumor from when Scorpio was leaked. Also PS4 and PS4 Neo having the same core library among other things hardly seems any less planned or cohesive.
Was the sample size or methodology ever shown for this?

No surprises there, lines up with what Andrew House mentioned about instant gratification and the Apple model of announcing a big hardware release and making it available to the public sooner rather than later.

Gives you less time to mull over the purchase and gives the system itself less time to "air" as peoples' expectations and opinions might be subject to change if it's announced a year in advance.

Makes good sense for an iterative upgrade, anyway. The 3DS XL was made available a month or two after its reveal, and the same for the New 3DS in Japan, and the latter was not leaked in advance, mostly because Nintendo didn't mandate all developers work their games to support it, though.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
If Sony is already preparing for PSVR to be supply constrained (just like every other VR hardware launch this year) after the initial wave of pre-orders, they might feel that they can get away with stealth launching Neo regardless.

I don't think they're cannibalising each other anyway. I never really got that... I think there's pluses and minuses that probably balance each other out here. While I think for some people it's a case of 'either/or' this year, for new ps4 owners, and for those buying in for VR, It makes a good deal of sense for the two to be available together. Otherwise it could look like they're 'forcing' people to buy a standard while dangling the newer option for later. I just want to be able to buy my preferred option this year with PSVR. I think most potential new owners and those stalling a purchase would prefer the choice this year.

You didn't do a very good job of implying. :p
Sony would have had Neo out for about a year when Scorpio hits, so I'm sure there'll be some people who will jump ship it won't be enough to justify another iteration.
Anyways by the time Scorpio comes out it'll probably be only another 18 months or so before Sony release their newer, more powerful console. So using this logic people should then wait for that.

Femto.

weren't people touting the 1 year lead time over scorpio as an advantage for sony? seems like the narrative changed once scorpio's target specs were confirmed at ms e3 conference.

kind of seems like a lot of people did a 180. we already knew scorpio was targeting 6teraflops though. is it just because it became "real" after ms made a video with talking heads?
Nice catch, noticed it too.

Best thing I got out of all of this is that I can play Gears of War 4 on my 2012 PC.

After having seen Uncharted 4 and this E3 i see little to no reason for Sony to come with a new console. One would think Uncharted 4 was nearing the limits of what PS4 can do, and then came Horizon and God of War. It's simply incredible what these developers manage to do with the hardware.

Matthew23

But the graphic above from AMD is telling. According to the Steam hardware survey, 95 per cent of PC gamers are using 1080p or lower resolution screens. 1440p and 4K displays barely register, neither failing to hit even one per cent of the audience.

This is telling. PC gamers, casual and enthusiast alike, pretty much all game at 1080p. How much of a thing is 4k going to be next holiday? MS has said there will be no 4k mandate for devs with Scorpio but that is only speaking toward 3rd party, right? I imagine all first party games are going to be near clones of their Xbox One counterpart with a higher resolution. I mean how can they advertise Scorpio as a 4k machine if their first party games aren't even 4k? I'm hoping Neo devs stick to 1080p and are successful with it, then maybe MS will see we aren't ready for 4k yet in the console space (or even PC).

brawly

So why would people flock out to buy a neo if the PS4 is cheaper?

Didn't say they would. I'm saying most people would still pick up a Neo next year instead of a Scorpio, even with weaker specs. Price is king. They're not gonna blow 500 bucks to play Madden and Call of Duty, no matter the power differences.

Also i'm not talking Neo vs Scorpio rather than Neo vs Neo2/PS

This made it sound like you were comparing the Neo to the Scorpio, but I get what you meant now. There probably won't be another Sony console until PS5 in 2019/2020.

2thepoint

Does anyone think this reveal would justify a Playstation Meeting?

I understand that these are strictly held for big hardware announcements such as a new console generation but would Playstation Neo need its own reveal rather than be tacked on to a conference such as Gamescom.

It seems this console is a big change from the norm and a dedicated event seems in order.

Wonder how much It's going to cost. Hope there's some sort of trade in program for PS4s.

Xbox is going to low ball the price to attack Sony, bet on it. If MS does that then Sony will price-cut too so that they don't lose their advantage. Ultimately, both manufacturers launching a console is better than one of them, especially given the pricing fiasco and the part it played in the orginal sales of the Xbox One vs PS4.

Xando

Was the sample size or methodology ever shown for this?

According to this (last slide) they asked 2000 people (50% male 50% female) over 13 with some kind of Nielsen developed online survey.

You didn't do a very good job of implying. :p
Sony would have had Neo out for about a year when Scorpio hits, so I'm sure there'll be some people who will jump ship it won't be enough to justify another iteration.
Anyways by the time Scorpio comes out it'll probably be only another 18 months or so before Sony release their newer, more powerful console. So using this logic people should then wait for that.
Not sure about this tbh. We've seen how much discussion there was about graphic this gen with a much smaller power difference. Don't think Sony wants this weaker than competitior product stigma for playstation.

I can't see it happening, not without them killing any chance PSVR has at doing well. Early next year in my mind. March reveal, April launch.

Elios83

It was obvious since they announced their 20m forecast.
Expect PS4 price cut + Neo announcement in September imo.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Maybe some of those 40m users that already have established PlayStation libraries that don't want to lose them by moving to a different platform?

The incremental approach and increased digital libraries means small differences in performance will not be reasons to switch.

I would like Sony to react a little by increasing clocks or something. The gap to Scorpio is very large and I don't think the currently rumoured spec for neo is nearly enough for 4K (I'm not convinced Scorpio is even enough - 4x current Xbox one performance?). If Sony are considering it for improved VR image quality, or 1440p upscaled to 4K that might be OK.

Top Bottom