• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Spec Analysis: Xbox Project Scorpio

Quotient

I highly doubt Scorpio will ship with Jaguar cores.

Why are people so confident in the specs of a machine that Microsoft doesn't even have a prototype for? Their announcement was clearly intended to take the focus away from the Neo and reaffirm to the loyal fans that Microsoft will have a powerful machine.

rokkerkory

Why are people so confident in the specs of a machine that Microsoft doesn't even have a prototype for? Their announcement was clearly intended to take the focus away from the Neo and reaffirm to the loyal fans that Microsoft will have a powerful machine.

Does there exist an 8 core jaguar I wonder?

Sad how these threads become enlightening to cringe worthy moments...

I am excited they are hungry for competition. Great for all gamers!!

rokkerkory

Ummmm, yeah. It's in both consoles now. But it won't be Jaguar. Puma at the worst

Oh that's right was thinking of 360 lol

Yeah uprated jaguar makes no sense to match the gpu. A forum member mentioned he talked to some ms exec yesterday and exec hinted it isnt jaguar.

Bsigg12

DF said Jaguar is very likely

Puma is just Jaguar with minor tweaks

DF is completely speculating but in 2017 AMD is building Zen based APUs. Putting Jaguar cores in the system would be absolutely backwards and all things with the Scorpio point to Microsoft wanting to really get it right on a technical standpoint, putting Jaguar cores with this 6TF GPU would completely handicap their entire design.

DF is completely speculating but in 2017 AMD is building Zen based APUs. Putting Jaguar cores in the system would be absolutely backwards and all things with the Scorpio point to Microsoft wanting to really get it right on a technical standpoint, putting Jaguar cores with this 6TF GPU would completely handicap their entire design.

You're not getting good VR with Jaguar cores.

raphanum

Digital Foundry saying the Scorpio is likely to use a version of the Jaguar CPU sounds crazy, surely a Zen CPU is more likely.

The Scorpio is going to be a flagship for the Xbox brand, I think its going to be more expensive than people expect.
I'm wondering if MS is aiming for the Scorpio to be less perceived as a console, and more of a "streamlined PC," if that makes sense? A higher price point would make sense as it'll have the best of both console and PC gaming.

Could somebody, please, elaborate as to the major differences between the Jaguar and Zen? Would using a Jaguar bottleneck the system or is this just speculation?

Also, what's with MS/Sony using AMD chips and not Intel or Nvidia?

Just slightly lower TDP. 8 upclocked Pumas are still woefully underpowered.

They are. That's true. Better than Jaguar though. I'm hoping for Zen APU version. Zen based APUs are dropping early next year. Seeing how the 480 tech is $200 retail now it will be super cheap come next year and at non retail prices. MS can squeeze out a $399 6TF console ready for pre Thanksgiving 2017.

Not to mention they won't have to spend millions R&D ing a controller and Kinect this time so cost per unit will have a lot less overhead.

THE:MILKMAN

It is really funny this discussion about the CPU because it was exactly the same with PS4 and Xbox One before they released. No way would Sony/MS go Jaguar they're weak ass! They're for netbooks! nah..must be placeholders and the real deal will have Steamroller....

Hopefully it won't be too long before we know for sure what CPU cores these consoles have.

Neo can't hit 60 FPS, or 4K, and certainly not both at once, and core gamers will be easily enticed to wait for Scorpio where a real difference in fidelity can be seen.

I'm pretty sure you don't know what you're talking about. There are 46 games retail games that run at 1080p 60fps on the ps4/xb1 and I'm looking at an outdated list. A lot of those games can be run at 4k on my old gtx 960 2gb at around 30 fps or so with some even reaching 60fps with drops into the md 50's. If we include psn/xbl only games to the list, I'm sure it will be much longer. Your statement only holds true if you qualify it. Unless that statement is inherently false. I can guarantee you that there will be several 4k60fps games on the neo and even more on the scorpio. Your premise is pretty poor tbh.

It is really funny this discussion about the CPU because it was exactly the same with PS4 and Xbox One before they released. No way would Sony/MS go Jaguar they're weak ass! They're for netbooks! nah..must be placeholders and the real deal will have Steamroller....

Hopefully it won't be too long before we know for sure what CPU cores these consoles have.

They can't keep pulling a George Carlin on us: "I never slept with a 10, but one night I slept with 5 2's!"

HokieJoe

I think any predition at this point is just hot air. We'll know when we know. But hey, click bait!!!

They can't keep pulling a George Carlin on us: "I never slept with a 10, but one night I slept with 5 2's!"

Hehe. I would love them to go balls out here but I've got hyped up before and it never happens. So I'm going to be the grumpy one.

Who knows...may be one or both of them will have a special additional chip that bridges any weakness!? I just want confirmation sooner rather than later this time.

vpance

I'm pretty sure you don't know what you're talking about. There are 46 games retail games that run at 1080p 60fps on the ps4/xb1 and I'm looking at an outdated list. A lot of those games can be run at 4k on my old gtx 960 2gb at around 30 fps or so with some even reaching 60fps with drops into the md 50's. If we include psn/xbl only games to the list, I'm sure it will be much longer. Your statement only holds true if you qualify it. Unless that statement is inherently false. I can guarantee you that there will be several 4k60fps games on the neo and even more on the scorpio. Your premise is pretty poor tbh.

You know what I meant. Capable of 60 in all games, as in enhancing games that weren't already running at 60.

Just not seeing the value add if either 4K or a reliable expectation of 60 aren't there, $399 or not.

quest

Not Banned from OT
You're not getting good VR with Jaguar cores.

There is no VR on the Scorpio with out the Zen. MS is not building any headset and will depend on Vive and/or Oculus for VR. The CPU will be at least on the level of an I5 to meet the min spec for either. It will be Zen CPU it could be the laptop version or down clocked desktop version.

You know what I meant. Capable of 60 in all games, as in enhancing games that weren't already running at 60.

Just not seeing the value add if either 4K or a reliable expectation of 60 aren't there, $399 or not.

The value of 4k in itself is debatable. Imo, 4k does not make your game look any better. Running a game at 1440p and pushing more effects will yield more pleasant results than running the game at 4k with lower settings. I currently game at 4k on pc and it doesn't make your game any better. It has slightly better IQ but all in all, most people would prefer SW:BF at 1440p with max settings to SW:BF at 4k with medium settings. An increase in resolution provides diminishing returns.

The value add you get is significantly better looking games.

Lone Wolf

Scorpio is launching 4 years after Xbox one. The only information we have is that it has 8 cores, as per Microsoft. I don't think it is crazy to think that it will use something other than jaguar cores. DF made a wild guess and have absolutely no basis for claiming it would most likely have Jaguar cores.

Bsigg12

The value of 4k in itself is debatable. Imo, 4k does not make your game look any better. Running a game at 1440p and pushing more effects will yield more pleasant results than running the game at 4k with lower settings. I currently game at 4k on pc and it doesn't make your game any better. It has slightly better IQ but all in all, most people would prefer SW:BF at 1440p with max settings to SW:BF at 4k with medium settings. An increase in resolution provides diminishing returns.

The value add is that you get significantly better looking games.

If you ever get the chance, you need to see something on an HDR compatible TV. 4K really shines with HDR, which is why it is required for UHD players.

Yep. Xbox will again be the definitive platform to play multiplats on.

I highly doubt it. If anything, most 3rd party publishers are going to give Scorpio versions of games a minimal graphic increase. They're not going to immediately ignore 40+ million PS4 owners & leave a lot of money on the table.

Remember, it took 2 years just to eliminate cross-gen gaming with PS3 & 360 once PS4 & Xbox One had officially came out. What do you think is going to happen when they have to work across 4 different platforms being PS4, Xbox One, Neo & Scorpio?

Saberus

Framerate, draw distance, etc.

Very strong CPU needed for VR as well (also why I'm confused about PSVR)

Well, from my understanding, these are APU's so with the GPU/CPU on one die, GPU can assist the CPU with some tasks, so it can compensate to a point for a weaker CPU.

RowdyReverb

I highly doubt it. If anything, most 3rd party publishers are going to give Scorpio a minimal graphic increase. They're not going to immediately ignore 40+ million PS4 owners & leave a lot of money on the table.
Isn't a "minimal graphic increase" the only difference between 360/PS3 and XB1/PS4 visuals?

If you ever get the chance, you need to see something on an HDR compatible TV. 4K really shines with HDR, which is why it is required for UHD players.
Hdr is what makes it look good not the resolution itself. Like I said, diminishing returns. I've had a look at hdr content and I'll be picking up the lg e6 or b6 oled closer to Christmas.

ZaQ_Q

Neo Member
Why announce Scorpio and One S in the same day? Confusing as hell.

Sony is watching very carefully. Kudos to them for taking time to get the messaging right and leading with content .

RowdyReverb

Sony is watching very carefully. Kudos to them for taking time to get the messaging right and leading with content .
Yeah. I've seen a lot of people here confusing the two already

What messaging? They acknowledged Neo's existence (like we didn't know about it already) but aren't saying much else about it.

Instead, Scorpio is getting all the ink. I feel Sony should have at least mentioned it at E3 and given potential buyers a choice whether to buy a PS4 now or wait until next year to buy a Neo.

Scorpio is launching 4 years after Xbox one. The only information we have is that it has 8 cores, as per Microsoft. I don't think it is crazy to think that it will use something other than jaguar cores. DF made a wild guess and have absolutely no basis for claiming it would most likely have Jaguar cores.

Sure they may be something other than Jaguar but right now I believe whatever CPU cores they are they will have a similar disparity to the GPU performance as the current console SoCs.

The main reasons I'm thinking this right now is power use. 8 down clocked Zen cores might use twice the power of mobile class cores e.g. 40W vs 20W. Might even mean a 180-200W console again. And the cost of this could go over $500 too.

I really do hope Zen happens though and Microsoft do go for broke. I'm just holding back for now.

I'm wondering if MS is aiming for the Scorpio to be less perceived as a console, and more of a "streamlined PC," if that makes sense? A higher price point would make sense as it'll have the best of both console and PC gaming.

Could somebody, please, elaborate as to the major differences between the Jaguar and Zen? Would using a Jaguar bottleneck the system or is this just speculation?
Also, what's with MS/Sony using AMD chips and not Intel or Nvidia?

It comes down to the cost/performance ratio mostly. AMD's APUs give Sony and MS the most bang for their buck, good enough performance for their cost. Currently Intel's APU can't keep up with AMD's on the graphics side of things, while Nvidia doesn't have an APU option or the licenses from Intel and AMD to make x86 family processors. Also, using separate CPUs and GPUs in consoles would drive up costs; bigger & more complex motherboards, separate cooling for CPU & GPU, dealing with 2 vendors is more work, etc.

Another big reason they go with AMD is that they will do custom work and sell the hardware design license to the hardware makers, so MS and Sony can get the designs they want and own them. I don't believe Intel or Nvidia provide such a service.

I don't follow the semiconductor industry like I used to, so I might be a bit off with some of the above, correct me if I'm wrong folks. Ha ha, like I would have to ask, ;)

gamz

Ohhh....They both have a S in the title!

Yeah, I can't figure it out.

Journey

Banned
40% is huge

1.24 to 1.8 is clearly less then 4.4 to 6 tf. Its a much bigger difference. But I doubt devs would make Scorpio versions that much better then Neo

1.31 vs 1.84 is 40%
4.19 vs 6 is 45%

But here's the thing, X1 and PS4 CPU's are the same, in fact X1 CPU benefits from slightly higher clock, but if Scorpio ends up using Zen, the difference would be a LOT more significant than the 45% Flop increase would suggest.

Bsigg12

I really hope Microsoft convinces devs to start adding Scorpio support now so when it launches next year the games coming out over the next year can take advantage of it with nothing extra needed later down the line. I know they're looking to do that with Gears 4 and I'm guessing 343 will have an update for Halo 5, Halo Wars 2 and Halo 6 will be built from the ground up with it in mind to really showcase the hardware next E3.

Top Bottom