• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Spec Analysis: Xbox Project Scorpio

This is a machine aimed at hardcore enthusiasts like high-end PC graphic cards.
There will be no new games unless devs decide (there's no hard push from MS yet so I have to assume there will be very few of them). As such there will be very limited audience for that at the start aside hardcores, unless there's some new messaging that's going to appeal to masses.
I don't think 20-30 million PS4 users are fence-sitters waiting to replace their machine 1-2 years after they've bought it to play better multiplats.
Same with Neo. Limited appeal only for those who want and are willing to spend lot of money for some slightly better experience (I don't believe 60fps gaming vision, all we will get are slightly better graphics and few more fps max) .

They don't need people to not have PS4s. They just need them to move their multiplat purchases to Scorpio.

Maeks you worry about Ps5, how will Sony remain backward compatible in the future if they are stuck with Jaguar forever. At least MS have the virtual OS layer that we have read about...

You would hope zen uses same API's and would be invisible to the game code.

Well Sneakers mentioned something about being impressed by the way Sony are managing the two APIs, so it's possible they're going down the same track with the SonyOS™.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Who thinks it wont?

I just wanted to avoid the picture being just the neo having the same challenges around price.

Although neo will have more pressure on price if it is coming 6-9 months earlier. Costs on 14nm will drop rapidly at some point and releasing a big APU too early will be cost prohibitive.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If the Neo ends up being significantly weaker than the Scorpio MS just won me back for all my third party purchases.

I'll always have both, but the system that gives me the best performance on third party games will always be my main console.

I'm pumped for Scorpio based on all the breakdowns, I'm interested to see what Sony has up their sleeve.

Better get your credit card ready then. You'll need to buy a neo because it'll be more powerful than ps4, then buy a Scorpio, then a neo2.. Oh and be happy to have any of your digital purchases spread across multiple consoles.

The incremental approach mitigates temporary blips in power. Scorpio sounds nice but it still isn't hbm and 14nm still isn't mature. There is a lot of power still to come over the next few years before it starts plateauing.

MilkyJoe

Better get your credit card ready then. You'll need to buy a neo because it'll be more powerful than ps4, then buy a Scorpio, then a neo2.. Oh and be happy to have any of your digital purchases spread across multiple consoles.

The incremental approach mitigates temporary blips in power. Scorpio sounds nice but it still isn't hbm and 14nm still isn't mature. There is a lot of power still to come over the next few years before it starts plateauing.

Do we know any of this yet?

HokieJoe

This is about getting Xbox gamers back, I read a book about the 360 development and they knew then you won over the hardcore gamers and the rest followed, they forgot that for Xbox One and diluted their message.

Scorpio will disrupt pc's gaming as much as ps4, why fanny around with pc when you can buy a console that will reliably pump out 4K

Yep. The hardcore pave the way as early, free ambassadors.

saskuatch

Yep. The hardcore pave the way as early, free ambassadors.

Lol are you kidding me, I am a pc gamer and when Scorpio comes out it will still be majorly underpowered compared to what I can get on PC, 1080ti anyone. In fact Scorpio could barely match my current setup, which I built October of last year.....

derExperte

Scorpio will disrupt pc's gaming as much as ps4, why fanny around with pc when you can buy a console that will reliably pump out 4K

Because the majority of games will never make it to the X1 or any other console. Because of the flexibility to tweak them far beyond what limited mods on consoles will ever allow. Because Scorpio still won't match the visuals of a good 2016 PC, resolution is only one parameter, some people are all about 144fps or max details or multimonitor or everything combined. Because we like keyboard & mouse when it makes sense. Basically because few PC players are repressed console gamers desperate to jump ship, the platform will forever have a multitude of advantages. Don't get me wrong, I like this new iterative approach because late last gen was painful but better keep your expectations in check.

viHuGi

Banned
It leaves Sony in a very difficult position regarding Neo. If Scorpio is really 40% more powerful, what's PS4 Neos selling point going to be?

If you want power, you should go with Microsoft. If you don't care enough about power to buy another console so soon, you should keep your standard PS4. Who would buy a Neo in that scenario?

It's even worse, because there won't be any Neo exclusives. So, if I buy a Scorpio, I get the best of both worlds. I can play all of Sony's exclusives in my og PS4, and I can play all of MS exclusives in Scorpio, plus all the best versions of multiplatform games.

i will buy Neo to play exclusives games for Sony and better frame rates and with better details, good enough? Also people are into PlayStation ecosystem why would they buy a 600e Scorpio? Also in EU Xbox is non existent nobody is buying it at 199e in some places, let alone 600e.

If Neo is 400e, it will fly of shelves. if it is 500e, it is DOA just like Scorpio until prices drop.

500e plus Consoles always, ALWAYS flop, we know that from ps3 and Xbox One, let's get real here.

And your theory is already wrong most people don't think like that because if they thought like that Xbox would not even exist, let´s say: I buy a ps4 i have all sony games and i build a Gaming Pc and i play all the best multiplatform games, i play eSports titles, i play at 144hz or 4K the best experiences and i also play Microsoft exclusives. See? World doesn´t work like that.

Ac30

Lol are you kidding me, I am a pc gamer and when Scorpio comes out it will still be majorly underpowered compared to what I can get on PC, 1080ti anyone. In fact Scorpio could barely match my current setup, which I built October of last year.....

Did your PC cost under $500? Come on. Scorpio is aimed at the console players who DO care about specs, and as the PS4 has shown us it's a quite sizable amount of people.

saskuatch

Did your PC cost under $500? Come on. Scorpio is aimed at the console players who DO care about specs, and as the PS4 has shown us it's a quite sizable amount of people.

My response was to someone saying Scorpio would disrupt the market because of its power of 4k........

wachie

HBM2 is 256GB/s per stack. 320GB/s doesn't exist in the HBM2 spec. The bandwidth would have to be a multiple of 256GB/s.

Scorpio is not using HBM/2.
That's assuming a base clock of 1GHz though .... you could get to 320GB/s with HBM2 but I highly doubt they would go this way when GDDR5X should be way cheaper.

pastrami

That's assuming a base clock of 1GHz though .... you could get to 320GB/s with HBM2 but I highly doubt they would go this way when GDDR5X should be way cheaper.

I think it's a bit premature for Microsoft to promise higher clocked HBM2 that no one is producing.

gtj1092

whoa, link please?
I fully expect it'll be $399 and maybe Neo can drop to $349.

And you all thought that 2TB Xone S would be 299 but the doubters were right it was $399. I don't think MS or Sony are in the business of losing money anymore. If that was the case MS could of easily dropped a 6TF console this year and ate the cost.

Phil has already said it will cost more than the slim and is aimed at the 4k premium customer.

Having said all that I fully expect it to be $399 considering the slim should be getting a price drop next holiday.

By your explaination, the performance gap between Xbox and Ps2 is nothing, like 1% PS4. But the performance gap between a 500 teraflops system and 518 teraflops system is huge since its 10x ps4.

What? That $10/$100 thing was an example of the irrelevancy of using a percentage when making a comparison on two different figures in this case the ~40% gap between the PS4 and XBO and the ~40% gap between the Neo and Scorpion aren't remotely the same. The gap is nearly 3.5 times greater than the difference between the PS4 and XBO. It doesn't mean the Scorpion is 3.5 times more powerful it means the difference in processing power that much greater when compared to the gap between the 2013 consoles.

At 2:48 of this video, https://youtu.be/F1dRgWpGePs, he says 6TF of GPU power.
Why is this still coming up? The CPU isn't going to contribute a significant amount of FLOPs for it to matter.
Where are people getting this $499 price from? You guys realize that a 6TF system at the end of 2017 will be a mid range pc right? This could easily go for $399. MS doesnt buy these chips from Newegg.
End of 2017, the PC midrange will still be I5+RX480 which doesn't hit 6TF I don't think.
It's going to on the lower side of mid-range this summer. By end of 2017 it'll be classed as a budget GPU. The 480 isn't that far off of 6TF on its own and will probably easily hit that with a relatively small over clock if 5.5TF is its reference FLOP count, there will be factory OC'd cards that reach that.

There really is nothing shown that should lead anyone to believe this is a console MS needs to sell for $500 to profit off of. The GPU is pretty much on par with where the PS4's was in 2013 in relation to GPU hardware on PC was at the time.
I agree. In the end, it all comes down to games & exclusives.

Even if Scorpio is more powerful than the Neo, I would still get the Neo over the Scorpio. Why? Because Sony has the games that I like, & not to mention that there's always Japanese 3rd party games in which Xbox won't receive.

If people really want superior graphics, guess what? It's called a gaming PC. There's no doubt that by the time that both Neo & Scorpio are released, they will be graphics cards that will automatically be powerful than both such as the GTX 1080ti.

Why go all the way up to a 1080Ti? More powerful video cards are out now and have been for about a year with the Titan X, 980Ti, R9 Fury, Nano and Fury X and now the 1080 and 1070, the latter which is at Titan X/980Ti levels. A 1080Ti is probably going to be at least twice as powerful as the XB Scorpion's GPU. I think the R9 390x is a good baseline to compare things too, if an NVIDIA equivalent is needed it'd probably be a reference 980.

HokieJoe

From OsirisBlack's posts, it sounds like Sony haven't even locked down the hardware yet. Option A is the 4.2 TF option widely rumored, and option B is a super expensive ~5.5 TF option. I'm going to guess Sony will ultimately stick largely with option A, maybe incorporating some elements of option B where they can.

A >$499 console is dead in the water, and Sony knows it from past experience (PS3).

I disagree. The PS4 will still be available to those who don't want to spend $400 - 600. Just like the Xbox One or the S will still be available when Scorpio releases.

I think that gives MS/Sony some leeway on price.

dr_rus

Well they announced 320GB/s as their bandwith. HBM2 would be able to achieve much more. So I think it's been confirmed that their are not using HBM2 (probably GDDR5X)

There isn't many options beyond GDDR5X for that kind of bandwidth - unless they are willing to go with a wider than 256 bit bus. 10Gbps GDDR5X would provide that exact bandwidth on 256 bit bus.

thuway

I am also thinking that $399.99 might be the price point. There is a $299.99 Xbox One S with a UHD Player, so a $100.00 more in 16 months or so can be seen as a reasonable price for the extra performance. Granted, we don't know the amount or type of memory, HDD size etc. and final CPU, which all can drive the price a bit higher. But in 16 months, I can see if they use Zen, 12GB of GDDR5x and a 1TB HDD that they could possibly pull that off at $399.99.

No. Please stop with this pipe dream. Scorpio will be closer to $599 than $399. This is going to be an expensive machine with "premium" and "4K" experience as it's selling point. Love-letter to Xbox fans or not, unless they take a hit - it's not $399. Also, cut out the Zen. Micrososft is not going to waste half the power budget on the CPU. These new GPU's are designed to fully reinforce GPGPU programming philosophies, so Jaguar/Puma/Excavator/Zen Lite will become viable options.

Neo isn't immune to the same criticism and law of design. Both machines have GPU's manufactured on the same process (14 nm) - you will not see a large increase in performance without a symmetrical increase in size, heat, power draw, and box.

HokieJoe

>599 for Scorpio ... and >599 for Neo if they both go for this 5.5-6 TF spec. yeeeeeeeeesh

I think those prices are reasonable if the respective consoles deliver. PS4's and Xbox One/S's will still be available to those who don't want to spend that much. This is nothing like getting a second job for your PS3.

HokieJoe

No, I'm not kidding you. You represent a minority of gamers. I can build a nice gaming PC, but I don't. I'd rather buy a console.

Different strokes

Top Bottom