• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Tekken Tag Tournament 2 Wii U/360/PS3 Face-Off

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
It seems this one is pretty close, though does suffer from a "slightly less stable frame-rate", which would probably be the most notable difference for enthusiasts.

It does apparently maintain 720p for longer when adding characters to the screen.

Eurogamer said:
For the most part the Wii U version of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 stays locked to the 60FPS update required to maintain smooth gameplay and a consistent controller response, with the exception of replays and the cut-scenes at the end of each fight, in which we find that all three versions tend to drop a few frames. Where things start to diverge is when larger characters are on-screen on certain environments, where we see small, but fairly frequent dips in smoothness not present in the 360 and PS3 releases - curiously, these occur when there is a fair bit of foliage on show. Thankfully, the variance in frame-rate is small enough to go practically unnoticed by the eye, but the fact that this happens at all during gameplay means that top-tier players will be able to feel the difference.
Eurogamer said:
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 on Wii U - the Digital Foundry verdict

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 makes its way to a new home a few months after appearing on the PS3 and 360, and by and large Namco has done a decent job porting the game over to Nintendo's new console while adding a slew of extra content to entertain dedicated fans and new players alike. Visually, bar the loss of some interactive snow and some flowers limited to two stages, the game closely mirrors that of the other versions, with the use of a lower-precision blur effect that only the most eagle-eyed of gamers will spot during play. On some stages we see the Wii U command a brief image quality advantage where the game stays running in native 720p for longer during less intense battle scenes between two characters with the cool blur effect enabled, but this aspect of the engine varies from scene to scene on all versions to some degree.

"Tekken on Wii U is a fine release, but the PS3 and 360 versions edge it owing to more stable online gameplay and slightly better visuals."

On the matter of performance, the slightly less stable frame-rate will only be an issue for the most seasoned of players who will be more sensitive to the timing of moves and combos in the game - but for most players, the game remains fluid and fun to play at all times. The range of control options available - from the Pro Controller to some of the various Wii Arcade sticks - also has more dedicated fans covered. This is a nice bonus, considering that the standard GamePad is a bit too large and unwieldy for playing this kind of game.

In the end, there's nothing really wrong with the Wii U Edition of Tekken Tag Tournament 2, although players wanting the best visual experience (by a very small margin) and most stable online gameplay would do better to look towards the PS3 and 360 versions of the game. If you already own one of the other versions of the game there's little point in picking up the Wii U release, but if you haven't made a purchase yet - and own Nintendo's new machine - Tekken Tag Tournament 2 remains an excellent fighting game that's well worth the investment. It's just a shame that publishers insist on charging full price for titles on the Wii U that are available at significant discounts on the other consoles, which makes a 360 or PS3 purchase the way to go.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-tekken-tag-tournament-2-on-wii-u-face-off

PS3_blur_003.png

360_blur_003.png

WiiU_blur_003.png

---

PS3_020.png

360_020.png

WiiU_020.png

It's a pretty damn good launch port overall, but it's a shame it's not entirely locked to 60fps during gameplay. Ultimately it doesn't really matter to me, though, I'm not nearly good enough to be worried about it and one of the big reasons I bought the game was for more silly, casual reasons like Tekken Ball, Nintendo Costumes and the Mushroom battle.

Do people really care about this minutia?

yes. we do. if we own all the systems a game is on, presuming the game costs the same amount of money on each system, why wouldn't I want to know how they differ, however small that difference is?

hypothetically if one version has tiny framedrops occasionally and the other doesn't and is identical in every other way, wouldn't it be stupid of me to spend my $60 on the version with framedrops when that same $60 could buy me a version without?

Skilletor

Yes, I absolutely care if a fighting game has framerate dips when large characters are on screen. Especially when some of the better characters are large characters.

Also, if people didn't care, they would probably stop doing these comparisons, no?

yes. we do. if we own all the systems a game is on, presuming the game costs the same amount of money on each system, why wouldn't I want to know how they differ, however small that difference is?

hypothetically if one version has tiny framedrops occasionally and the other doesn't and is identical in every other way, wouldn't it be stupid of me to spend my $60 on the version with framedrops when that same $60 could buy me a version without?

If you own all the systems a game is on, wouldn't the online community win you over? I mean let's be honest.

Minor framedrops in cutscenes and replays or two exclusive modes? Hmmm tough choice..

How sad a brand new console is worse or barely better than 6-7 year old hardware......how disappointing.
*bangs head against wall*.

Minor framedrops in cutscenes and replays or two exclusive modes? Hmmm tough choice..

If you own all the systems a game is on, wouldn't the online community win you over? I mean lets be honest.

don't you guys know what 'hypothetically' means? my point is that I want to know all the differences, however little, to decide where to spend my $60. be that missing modes. player numbers. occasional framedrops. I want to know all the differences. Then I can weigh up which version to spend my money on. The hypothetical was just to demonstrate that no difference is too small to be worth caring about. I know which graphical effects bother me and how much they bother me.

I'm not saying no one should buy the Wii U version. I'm just saying that yes, some of us do care about the small details.

Skilletor

Perhaps you missed where it said frame rate fluctuates ingame with larger characters? Or that online wasn't as stable?

If you own all the systems a game is on, wouldn't the online community win you over? I mean let's be honest.

No.

My thought process would be:

Which version runs the best? If they're the same, then move on to which online community is better.

guek

Banned

Select people on gaf and the hardcore fight community will but this seems like one of those things that no one would ever notice unless you were a pro or unless it was pointed out. Nice to see that it's a good port but I would have traded resolution stability for a tighter framerate lock but eh, whatcha gonna do. This is going to be one of my January games for sure :)

No.

My thought process would be:

Which version runs the best? If they're the same, then move on to which online community is better.
Again, do people care about minutia like this?

If there were major problems with a copy I would understand, but the things described in the OP read like noise.

Juken

If there were major problems with a copy I would understand, but the things described in the OP read like noise.

Depends who you are. Small framerate dips in a fighter can have a very noticeable impact on timing.

Atruvius

Seems like Wii U can't do snow. That's pretty alarming how a new home console is performing worse than the older consoles. Next gen consoles are gonna be bad for third party Wii U titles.

If you're not interested, then don't post. I'll never understand why people have to come into DigitalFoundry threads and whine every single time just because their favoured hardware manufacturer lost this time. It's no different than going into a sales thread and saying you don't care because your favoured company didn't do well.

jediyoshi

It's not the extent to how much they're different, it's just what's different period. If they all looked completely identical, it'd still be interesting. I think you're confusing the purpose of these for being something that's only supposed to be practical on a consumer level.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Nice to see it's a competent port. I will like pick it up in January.

Reiko

Banned
Seems like Wii U can't do snow. That's pretty alarming how a new home console is performing worse than the older consoles. Next gen consoles are gonna be bad for third party Wii U titles.

Weird how snow was capable on Xbox and PS2

Virtua Fighter 4/Evo - PS2
Dead or Alive 3/Ultimate - Xbox

Skilletor

A fighting game is dependent on timing. Framerate fluctuations will alter timing.

So, yes, I care. And so will the competitive community.

Lots of people use larger characters, and if the article is correct, that means I would be more likely to experience these framedrops. Inconsistent framerate in a fighting game, to me, is a major problem.

Your mileage may vary.

If you're not interested, then don't post. I'll never understand why people have to come into DigitalFoundry threads and whine every single time just because their favoured hardware manufacturer lost this time. It's no different than going into a sales thread and saying you don't care because your favoured company didn't do well.

This.

VariantX

It's not minutiae for hardcore fighting game players, but let's be real they won't be playing on Wii U anyways. It seems like it will be fine for everyone else.

Pretty much, if you're into fighters you'd probably be playing most of them on the ps3 exclusively anyway. The differences listed here really only affect a tiny subset of players, namely those who frequent tournaments and such.

Alex

I really like how that snow stage looks...it helps when it has snow, though! I really need to find a fighting game to play, but I am so fucking bad at learning combos and moves and the such. Haven't really played any fighters for more than a smidge after...SF2 on SNES with friends way back when and that worked because everyone was bad!

So I should find something I can actually learn, some day, or find more shitty people to play with!

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Weird how snow was capable on Xbox and PS2

Virtua Fighter 4/Evo - PS2
Dead or Alive 3/Ultimate - Xbox

Seems more like they chose to remove an effect for a launch port that wasn't originally coming to Wii U in the first place, in order to maintain performance without time for further optimization.

TTT2 is a visually intense game that has to stay at 60fps as much as possible. The PS360 versions aren't flawless in either framerate or resolution, and were already built on the experience of developing Tekken 6 on those platforms.

Skilletor

I really like how that snow stage looks...it helps with it has snow, though! I really need to find a fighting game to play, but I am so fucking bad at learning combos and moves and the such. Haven't really played any fighters for more than a smidge after...SF2 on SNES with friends way back when and people couldn't do SHIT back then.

So I should find something I can actually learn, some day, or find more shitty people to play with!

Tekken is super brutal online. :(

But it's got a pretty active community on Gaf. They're good people. I'm sure more than one would be willing to help learn.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Depends who you are. Small framerate dips in a fighter can have a very noticeable impact on timing.
The difference between something like 42fps and 47fps is nearly imperceptible, but going from vsynced to non vsynced can be very unpleasant.

kinggroin

Banned
I've only ever seen the game drop frames (I'm talking microseconds here) during the ogre cut scene and SOME flashy attacks on visually busy stages. Nothing, absolutely nothing that interferes with gameplay.

Its also more often the better looking version from an IQ POV.

The extra features (making your own textures and OTP being my favorite) make this the definitive version for casual offline and local multiplayer.

Hardcore fans will be better served by the PS3 / 360 version for bigger online community and arcade stick support.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher

I do.

The motion blur effect is one of my favorite visual tricks (truth: the motion blur is one of the things that pushed me to purchase Tekken 6). It looks to be downgraded rather significantly on WiiU.

Not a huge deal, I suppose, but it's a shame to see that and other reductions present.

The difference between something like 42fps and 47fps is nearly imperceptible
42 and 47 BOTH look terrible on a 60 Hz display.

jaz013

Banned
Odd that all DLC, extra modes, off-TV play still didn't make WiiU version the best version.

Well, who wants more content, new modes, or all-new features, when the games drop 3 frames in the 1 minute and 04 seconds mark during the third and sixth battles? THE HORROR!

I own the game, and I have never notice any frame drops. But apparently it looks like I'm not reliable to tell, since I never notices those in Bayo fro PS3, or in NG3:RE.

Reiko

Banned
Less foliage in a fighting game. Let's think about this people.

This isn't like cutting back foliage in a open world game:/

ToD_

I've been perfectly happy with the Wii U version, but it's a shame they had to cut a few things. However, I like that it's just sitting on my HD without the need to insert a disc. Is there a digital copy available for the PS3/360?

Top Bottom