• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Thief for Xbox One edges out the PS4 version

Melchiah

So PS4:
- Full 1080p
- Trilinear filtering
- Steadier framerate (>24 FPS)

Xbox One:
- 900p
- 16x anisotropic filtering
- drops to 20's

Yet the Xbox One > PS4, huh?

I was just about to post the same. One plus point outweighs two?

I2jakqo.gif

I'd definitely choose 1080p and 25fps minimum over anisotropic filtering, if I had to.

24fps vs 20 is barely noticeable..they are both shit.

1080p and 900p is hard to distinguish here because the Xbox is using a better form of filtering so it ends up looking on psr, and in cases better.

no. just no. 1080p vs 900p is easy to distinguish on native displays. however, on certain surfaces you can see more detail in the Xbox One version because of the texture filtering. it's still obvious that the PS4 is 1080p and the Xbox One version is not. I don't disagree about 20 and 24 both being 'shit' though. both are below the level I am prepared to tolerate.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I thought that the worst about the XB1 design was that the ESRAM was not large enough? If it was larger, it would be able to cope with higher resolution frames without much of a problem.
The GPU in the XB1 isn't as capable as the one in the PS4. It's also going to be much more fillrate limited due to having less render output pipelines.

Montresor

Kinda sad that some people are writing the game off because it has an "unacceptable" sub-30s frame rate. "B-b-b-b-b-but this is a thread about specs and technology!!!!" Suck my fucking dick. If the game is fun, play it. Apparently it is a great stealth game with loads of customization options, something we don't usually see in this industry.

kazebyaka

Banned
Oh wow, next gen keeps delivering. I wonder why they have such a hard time running UE3 on next gen?
Kinda sad that some people are writing the game off because it has an "unacceptable" sub-30s frame rate. "B-b-b-b-b-but this is a thread about specs and technology!!!!" Suck my fucking dick. If the game is fun, play it. Apparently it is a great stealth game with loads of customization options, something we don't usually see in this industry.

yeah, let's watch movies on VHS too, because why not

Elios83

Yeah that seems a bit blatant to me. Why post screens of instances where the PS4 textures are not fully loaded?

Maybe your browser is broken, this is how it looks for me:
IN3kKBk.jpg

9Nf4oBv.jpg

Correct context given. Only thing one can complain about is that the first issue is better demonstrated using an animated image.

DirectX-Style wrapper for libgnm

I have read the thread. I asked what the "news" was. Digital Foundry's debatable verdict is not news.

Yup ok thanks for that, so there is a difference in texture filtering. PS4 seems trilinear indeed.
Problem is that people in the thread are posting the texture loading problem screens as a demonstration of the texture filtering difference LOL :D
But now it's clear.
I'd like developers to comment on the matter.
Anisotropic filter shouldn't impact performance in a meaningful way and if the assets are loaded from the HDD there shouldn't be texture loading issues as well.

when I say a framerate is unacceptable, I am talking about myself and myself only. I am merely saying that I cannot enjoy a game that runs so choppily. I wish I could because it means I occasionally miss out on great titles like The Last of Us and GTA5 as the most recent examples.

This is how it goes with the internet's response to digital foundry lately:
The PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One. Therefore, if DF says a PS4 game looks better, they are right. If DF says a Xbox One game looks better, they are wrong.

If people really believe this, why read Df at all? To me this seems like the recent concentration on 1080p forced the ps4 versions texture filtering choice, and it impacted image quality.

Here's my problem with this line of thinking or alluding. It's extremely ridiculous on BOTH ends. One side shouldn't have to deal with the game being crappy on one system visa versa.

This isn't exclusive to Sony either so stop right there. If a Sony game looks better than an Xbox game (ie. The Battlefield COD controversy) there were people coming out the wood works saying the same thing about DF when some people didn't want to accept the PS4 version being the better of the two, however this discussion and thread isn't about that.

It is plainly about the texture methods being different and WHY this could of happened.

This BS..

"Guys just deal with the results and stop trying to see around the truth that the Xbox Won a game"

... is stupid because there's a technical reason to why it did. So please don't feed into this notion that this thread is about losers not trying to accept their lost when there is nothing to win or lose. It's about the technical differences. The true lost is the game still runs crappy on both regardless of resolution and framerate and textures and the game kind of sucks all the way around as well. So essentially it is $50 too much for what your getting. Just buy the game if you want it and enjoy it. Why be bothered by analysis.

this ...

ppl will never accept it ...so just let it go

Ok fine. But when the Xbox has a shitty port and it's pointed out, I hope we should all accept it instead of talk about the inefficiency of the methods used to make it a shitty port. Bye, with this garbage.

Whats with the crap performance on both consoles?AF aside, sub 30fps? The game doesnt look anything special. Winning this DF analysis is like coming in second in the dumbest kid in school award.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You can't call it a good win and in the same breath call it nonsensical, it sounds completely disingenuous. It's clear which side of the debate you cone down on so just state it plainly without trying to act impartial.
I would need to both versions running side by side to see if the texture filter problem really does make the difference, which I can't on my phone
I haven't really seen it in my play through( the texture filtering problem) so I'll have to keep a look out when I play it next, but it does look and sound like their Crysis 2 comparison but with a different end result.
So while I recognize that it's in favor of the Xbox One( in which it's a good win if it does make that difference)but it don't really make sense to me due to how they usually decide which to recommend untill I see the difference that overrides the better framerate and higher res and how they usually decide things like this with my own eyes
Hopefully Gamersyde will upload some footage from both versions.
It only natural to question it given the circumstances, wouldn't you say?
But by DF's usual metric, no it don't make sense.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Whats with the crap performance on both consoles?

I can imagine that performance on both consoles is crap as long as you don't parallelize your game well enough to take advantage of the 6-7 cores that are available to it. Maybe that's an issue here.

The lack of AF on the rollercoaster track of the 'buy snacks and don't smoke' offline rendered video that plays before movies at Regal Cinemas bothers me every time I go. Trust me, I wish I didn't notice this stuff sometimes.

The lack of AF on the rollercoaster track of the 'buy snacks and don't smoke' offline rendered video that plays before movies at Regal Cinemas bothers me every time I go. Trust me, I wish I didn't notice this stuff sometimes.

You know, I always noticed this too and found it hilarious.

StuBurns

Banned
The worst one for this is the aliasing in the Lost logo.

late to the thread but I could swear the final fantasy beta didn't have anisotropic filtering either and I preferred my PC at 1600x900 to the ps4 at 1080. then again, I could also swear the latest ps4 update improved the graphics. framerate is could still be improved though. but I can't imagine any reason why you would use anisotropic on xbone but not on ps4. it costs almost nothing in terms of performance right.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Threads like this make me feel embarrassed to prefer the ps4!... :/

The way some people talk in these threads is borderline insanity to me. La noire was better on ps3. Sometimes the other console gets the nod. It's not as big deal as people make out

I think both consoles are going to be fine and it proves there's more to an image than just resolution. I would give a nod to a the game with better af. Your going to notice a drop in fps no matter what from 30. 24 to 20 isn't that much difference if it's already juddering. I can't believe people are calling df biased again. Grow up

What's up with the lack of AF in some PS4 games? That's the biggest issue here.

LOL

Jomjom

Banned
MS should stop talking about resolution all the time and start advertising their console as the one to get for better textures.

Maybe have someone tweet like the Shahid tweet about 1080p but for AF.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
ITT: People are giving DF shit for a subjective verdict. Both versions look like they're shit, but it's really up to the individual user on which is worse since they're shitty in different ways.

cgcg

That makes zero sense...
So this is basically like Crysis 2 on consoles, PS3 had better texture filter but was lower res, lower framerate. except the 360 version was the DF recommendation because higher res and framerate, which made sense, but this don't by the usual standard they measure these comparisons by.
Interesting, Good win for Xbox One then....even though technically it don't make sense :-/

Yea it's just typical DF. Last gen plenty of PS3 had better texture filtering than the 360 version but DF typically just ignored it or gave some passing 1 line comment and that's it. Hilarious all of sudden texture filtering is higher priority than framerate (which they aslo championed last gen) and resolution (guess what...)

damn, those shots look like unloaded textures.

I don't know what's going on here but I wouldn't put it past a certain company to pay a certain "trusted source" of comparisons to make them look in their favor.

I don't own the game and probably won't until its like, $20 or less and will probably play on PC, but if PS4 looks like THAT, I don't know what to say, it's not the system, its the port job.

Kinda sad that some people are writing the game off because it has an "unacceptable" sub-30s frame rate. "B-b-b-b-b-butthis is a thread about specs and technology!!!!" Suck my fucking dick. If the game is fun, play it. Apparently it is a great stealth game with loads of customization options, something we don't usually see in this industry.

LOL

the b-b-but stuff is so annoying lol this kills me lol.

I agree game does look fun and I do miss the stealth games.

SeanTSC

24fps vs 20 is barely noticeable..they are both shit.

1080p and 900p is hard to distinguish here because the Xbox is using a better form of filtering so it ends up looking on psr, and in cases better.

I think that really depends on the size of your TV and how close you sit to it. 1080p Vs 900p on a 60" is absolutely noticeable for me. Upscaling sticks out like a sore thumb.

I think the AF issue is being seriously overblown. With how the environments in Thief are built and laid out you don't notice it a whole lot in normal play. AF has the biggest effect in open areas where you have a good amount of distance to view things. The thing is, most of Thief is spent in tight, cramped areas where AF doesn't come into play much. That doesn't excuse AF not being there, it absolutely should and it's stupid that it's not, but in a game like this absence of it has minimal impact.

They also clearly overstated the texture-pop in for some reason. It seems to be a non issue for most people and doesn't happen at all if you have a faster non-stock HDD.

So I think DF's assessment is rather silly. If it were a game with wide open environments it would be blatantly apparent and I'd agree with them hands down, but it's not that. It's a very claustrophobic game and the PS4's higher resolution, slightly better framerate, and use of POM, etc win out imo.

iceatcs

This is Misterxmedia level of bullshit.

I thought it is true, if you have higher resolution you should see sharper on texture.

e.g. random flat view on texture from OP's link. I'm sure that both are same texture file but the end visual is different due of rendering resolution are not the same.
resolution_on_texture_example_zps5bc5c2b2.gif

Really DF?

The Xbone having shittier framerate even at lower res is the bigger issue and they gave it the better version? Nice job 'experts' at DF

This actually shows the devs incompetence rather than PS4

If it were a game with wide open environments it would be blatantly apparent and I'd agree with them hands down, but it's not that. It's a very claustrophobic game and the PS4's higher resolution, slightly better framerate, and use of POM, etc win out imo.

this makes sense to me and is in line with what I notice on PC titles.

Nerokis

DF is losing whatever credibility it had, one article at a time.

Please. There's always a certain subjectivity to these calls. It's funny to see people dismissing DF on the basis that they apparently don't give reductionist analysis along the lines of "collect all the advantages this or that platform has over the other, and give the win to whoever has the most," as if that would actually be the slightest bit worthwhile. I mean, in this case one of those advantages is being 5 FPS less bad during slowdowns. It's not surprising DF thought the filtering issues would be more impactful to the experience than either that FPS difference or the resolution difference.

DF is losing whatever credibility it had, one article at a time.

It started with the 'improper' capture of Battlefield 4.

There, it was basically a single red flag.

When people caught on to the insanity that happened, they apologized but changed nothing.

I said we would have to wait and see if DF would fuck up again in favor of the Xbox One, and this is pretty much it. They saw an opportunity to control the narrative and took it.

Regardless of if there's a texturing issue, they know damn well that showing those pop-in pictures would be misconstrued.

Found the old post
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=87933253&postcount=2702
This is the first of many videos. There was already an apology made.

If they continue to mess up like this, then sure, but pre-launch, all of this stuff is a mess of VERY VERY controlled situations with no real shot of second chances. Every so often one little setting is wrong. Cut 'em some slack for now.

Top Bottom