• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Thief for Xbox One edges out the PS4 version

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.
This is how it goes with the internet's response to digital foundry lately:
The PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One. Therefore, if DF says a PS4 game looks better, they are right. If DF says a Xbox One game looks better, they are wrong.

If people really believe this, why read Df at all? To me this seems like the recent concentration on 1080p forced the ps4 versions texture filtering choice, and it impacted image quality.

Or it was just a shit port.

daman824

Could you post footage of said gray blur in that scenario? The DF screenshots are all deliberately chosen to reveal the lack of AF, but based on those it doesn't look like that it's this extreme that 5 steps back everything turns to a gray blur.
yeah no problem. How do I post a direct shot from the ps4?

Falaut

The filtering issue is pretty bad. And supposedly, the application of FXAA reduces some of the shimmering.

But what am I saying? Down with df!

Not at all. Just when I read pieces from a source and find that I have a higher than average number of eyebrow raises and nostril twitches one starts being a little bit more weary and critical.

One thing is for sure. The difference between 20fps and 24fps is that they are both shit.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
God man why do anyone ever trust DF? It's a well known FACT that they nothing but a bunch of Microsoft shills! And this article further solidifies that!

It's best to try and avoid that conclusion though (if you can). Unfortunately I'm finding it increasingly difficult too avoid viewing them in the same way I view Polygon.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
yeah no problem. How do I post a direct shot from the ps4?
The highest quality screenshots involve a second account and the PlayStation Mobile App.

Twitter and Facebook are easy options but they unfortunately compress the image a bit.

It's fairly easy to see, the 1st page is full of people discrediting DF, citing money hats,and using "lazy dev" excuse, you being equally disingenuous about it doesnt help. These explanations were brought up and rejected by many for Xbox One versions of games, yet their valid explanations here for some.
I'm being disingenuous? Now I have to insist that you show how I am.
You are just asserting things, I'm asking you to back them up.

Prine

Banned
Whose hypocrisy? Post names and quotes. Just alluding to some shit is the weakest form of the above described shit posting.

It's fairly easy to see, the 1st page is full of people discrediting DF, citing money hats,and using "lazy dev" excuse, you being equally disingenuous about it doesnt help. These explanations were brought up and rejected by many for Xbox One versions of games, yet their valid explanations here for some. Text book definition of hypocrisy. Don't be upset for pointing it out

Facism

and in the end.... most people taking their games home for either system (if they only own one) will NEVER know the difference or care because all the games will look great on both.

so ...all of this winning and losing is simply for ego and bragging rights, not any real data points past gamer pride nor toward which system to own.

it will once again come down to friends lists, games, services, features and ... more games

this is a a graphics comparison thread. I don't know about you, but in a graphics comparison thread all i'm interested in is comparisons between the graphics of each system so i can be as informed as possible about their deficiencies or achievements. Save the rest of your post for a buyer's remorse thread?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's pretty much shameful that a game released in 2014 does not support anisotropic filtering, whatever is at a fault here. Funny how that guy who claimed PS4 version had worse framerate due to its resolution was flat out wrong though.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Lack of anistropic filtering is awful.....no matter the game. If thief lacks it on ps4 then DF are right to give the nod to the xbox one version. Isn't stryder missing AF on ps4 too?

There's nothing worse than zero AF blurry textures. Bleugh!

I cant believe people are attacking DF for this article tho...We are crazy here sometimes...

ironcreed

Banned
The point of PR speech is deflecting from real issue. seeing you It looks that it worked.

LOL, deflecting from what? We all know that the PS4 is more powerful and will have mostly superior multiplats. But does that mean that someone who only owns an Xbox One because they prefer the games and features will suffer because of that? All he said is that those who only own one of the consoles will never notice a difference, as the games will still be next-gen over the 360 and PS3 and will be enjoyed the same way. How is that in any way wrong or out of place?

Lack of anistropic filtering is awful.....no matter the game. If thief lacks it on ps4 then DF are right to give the nod to the xbox one version. Isn't stryder missing AF on ps4 too?

There's nothing worse than zero AF blurry textures. Bleugh!

I cant believe people are attacking DF for this article tho...We are crazy here sometimes...

Yup. It is what it is.

I certainly wouldn't be propping it up as a big victory in the warz, though.

Chobel

LOL, deflecting from what? We all know that the PS4 is more powerful and will have mostly superior multiplats. But does that mean that someone who only owns an Xbox One because they prefer the games and features will suffer because of that? All he said is that those who only own one of the consoles will never notice a difference, as the games will still be next-gen over the 360 and PS3 and will be enjoyed the same way. How is that in any way wrong or out of place?

This is technical thread, so talking about "all games on all platforms are good" shouldn't be in this thread.

Whether what he said is true or false, it has nothing to do with subject of this thread.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Even if you completely disagree with any of the conclusion they ever come to or any text ever written by anyone at Digital Foundry, they still have the most quality comparison screenshots and video.
(Until Gamersyde comes along every fifty games.)

We are not a comparison site though ;)
Still we just recorded some Xbox one footage, so expect some 1080p60 videos by tomorrow.

It's best to try and avoid that conclusion though (if you can). Unfortunately I'm finding it increasingly difficult too avoid viewing them in the same way I view Polygon.

same. pretty much knew they'd eventually find a game they could somehow weasel-word into 'xbone version superior'. & they did :) ...

plug your PC into your TV.

ensure your browser isn't doing any kind of scaling, then use the test pattern linked below.

http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/sharpness.php

hell, go through all their test patterns when you have time.

Cheers bruh ! Will give this a bash later. My guess is somewhere in between 0-50 there is an "off" number, but what that is i wont know, at least until i try this (The movie setting on the TV sets it to 20, which did immediately clear up the halo's on the PC desktop, maybe that's it).

benny_a

I don't get why else they would use that filtering technique though. It's like they were shooting for the magic number of 1080 more so than making the game look better.
The PS4 hardware has the edge for texture filtering (higher realistic bandwidth, 72 TMU vs. 48 TMU) and has a more consistent frame-rate with a higher lower ceiling in the frame rate.
(To explain the realistic part: I don't think that texture filtering will be done in the eSRAM as it's much too small to house all the various things that it also has to take care of.)

I think these things point to maybe a bug in a specific version of the PS4 SDK, as Tomb Raider DE has regular AF.

We are not a comparison site though ;)
Still we just recorded some Xbox one footage, so expect some 1080p60 videos by tomorrow.
That was not a dig. I'm just saying that your raw gameplay footage recorded at 1080p with high bitrate is better than what Digital Foundry offers. We can use your footage and zoom in ourselves, instead of having DF determine the comparison points. It just doesn't happen often, because only such a small amount of people care.

You can't really give a nod to either one really.
They both are crap in different areas.
Wondering what's up with the filtering absent on the PS4. Even with Strider.

Chobel

Back to topic: what the worst thing that would happen if they did 16X AF in PS4?

In PC games it looks to have zero impact in performance.

ironcreed

Banned
This is technical thread, so taking about "all games on all platforms are good" shouldn't be in this thread.

Whether what he said is true or false, it has nothing to do with subject of this thread.

He just said it in passing, as people often do in threads like this. It was nothing that takes away from the issue, he was just saying that if you only own one console, you will probably be happy either way. It was nothing derailing at all, but this conversation surely is. I'll just leave it there, man.

So, next generation sucks overall. As is the case even when a game is in favour of another console like Tomb Raider. It's better than Xbox...but it still sucks.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
same. pretty much knew they'd eventually find a game they could somehow weasel-word into 'xbone version superior'. & they did :) ...

I started suspecting when they downplayed resolutions and framerates. I'll give them one more chance and then I'll be looking for comparisons elsewhere ... Is there anywhere else?

daman824

The highest quality screenshots involve a second account and the PlayStation Mobile App.

Twitter and Facebook are easy options but they unfortunately compress the image a bit.

I'm being disingenuous? Now I have to insist that you show how I am.
You are just asserting things, I'm asking you to back them up.
So I got the app linked to the ps4. How do I post pictures to the app so i can post them here?

So, next generation sucks overall. As is the case even when a game is in favour of another console like Tomb Raider. It's better than Xbox...but it still sucks.

Tomb Raider on PS4 looks great though, and runs at a pretty good framerate. This game doesn't look so hot and runs pretty bad on both consoles.

BibiMaghoo

You can't really give a nod to either one really.
They both are crap in different areas.

This is actually what the article is saying, but the thread title has prohibited people from reading it. They say both are shit, and PC is the way to go. They prefer the better image on the Xbone over the increased res / Frame rate on the PS4.

That is fine. The only real drama is people trying to figure out why this is the case, and people berating them for doing so, as if it is a dismissal of the nod to Xbox.

Slair

Been away out for dinner for quite awhile and this thread has moved along considerably.

Has it been answered if the xbone version has parallax occlusion mapping or is it just that one scene in the comparisons where it does not compared to the ps4 and pc version?

Edit: FranXico answered below.

FranXico

People are attacking this article, but not just because of the absence of AF in the PS4 version.

As an example, I am taking the liberty of quoting one of the commenters at EG:

globalisateur said:
However, the PS4's weaker texture filtering does factor into the comparison more visibly

False. It's not a texture filtering problem but a texture streaming one. Textures, once loaded even appear very slightly sharper on PS4 due to the better resolution:

This whole trilinear filtering is a lie (there is AF on PS4 version) as much as this one:

PS4_XB1_Thief_textures.png

Both platforms benefit from POM

Which still isn't true either as XB1 is clearly lacking POM on my former posted pic.

But recently it's not the first time DF lie. When they said Tomb Raider switching to 900p only during cutscenes it was a lie too. As it has been proved than Tomb Raider XB1 was 900p during gameplay in some levels.

I am so disappointed. It's like DF was created years ago only to prove the X360 superiority over PS3 (which was true)...But now...

Regardless of his preferences, he is wrong because there really isn't AF in the PS4 version, but he has a point in that DF is inaccurately reporting that POM is identical in both platforms, when we have already seen evidence that it isn't.

Some users even claim that the textures pop-in is largely gone after the game is fully installed, something which is not elaborated in the article.

benny_a

So I got the app linked to the ps4. How do I post pictures to the app so i can post them here?
Here:
You go to the message tab on your PS4, you then send a message to one of your friends or a second account you own. If you look to the left of the message box, you'll see an attachment box. Press it and you can attach a screenshot to a message.

Then send it. Get your phone, open the app and go to messages. Enter the conversation with your friend or second account and you'll see the pictures. Press one and save it.

You can now upload it to minus, abload etc

Chobel

Textures, once loaded even appear very slightly sharper on PS4 due to the better resolution

This is Misterxmedia level of bullshit.

EDIT: fuck me, I can't read. I thought it said slightly less sharp.

How much longer does this metagame of "spot the difference" take till it surpasses all the other threads about this game combined?

TheKayle

Banned
The PS4 is more powerful than the Xbox One. Therefore, if DF says a PS4 game looks better, they are right. If DF says a Xbox One game looks better, they are wrong.

If people really believe this, why read Df at all? To me this seems like the recent concentration on 1080p forced the ps4 versions texture filtering choice, and it impacted image quality.

this ...

ppl will never accept it ...so just let it go

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
According to PCGamesHardware the parallax mapping is about as expensive as 16xAF.
They suggested for people who can't run the game smooth on PC to deactivate parallax mapping anstead of going triliniear filtering.
http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Thief...ehen-Sie-ohne-Ruckler-auf-Diebestour-1110793/

Don't know why devs prefered parallax mapping over 16xAF.

Yeah, prior to the community coming up with a custom shader I always picked AF over POM in Crysis. As cool as the POM was back then, the ground looked hilariously bad the second you looked down a road.

Dunlop

: )
I read the first post, then jumped to the end to see how much the thread had imploded

Now to read the juicy insides lol

Klocker

This is technical thread, so talking about "all games on all platforms are good" shouldn't be in this thread.

of course it does.. it is a technical thread for you because you care about the technical details to the point of dissection.

to those of us who just like to enjoy the games and understand just enough of the technical details to appreciate what's going on... it's an ...oh that's nice, so basically games look the same on both machines for people who only own one machine (read: most people).... thread.

so your claim of deflection goes toward you as well; the technical developments are proving my point to be true, that it won't matter to most people who only buy one machine or the other

Top Bottom