• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs. AC4 PS3/360/WiiU/PS4/XB1/PC (Take shelter)

hawk2025

creed_iv_comparej4s2h.jpg

Ouch.

The DFs in this gen are going to be hilarious. SO BAD. The WiiU is just disgustingly bad and the Xbox One is not far behind in performance. Oh my oh my.

If people thought last gen was something this one is going to blow that one wide apart. 900p and worse framerate? You got to be kidding.

Derrick01

Banned
The performance on PS4 really was impressive considering how shitty and unoptimized AC games are on every platform. I didn't notice any real fps drops either.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If they really want the best they should be using SGSSAA or other forms of supersampling. MSAA works fine on edges but completely ignores a lot of things in modern games (like transparencies and shader aliasing).

I doubt they have the VRAM necessary lol. AC4 actually has surprisingly few instances of shader aliasing with just MSAA due to the visual style and the game uses FXAA for foliage (transparencies) by default.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Tinfoil hat theory is MS did it much like why floor tv's in electronics stores have super high sharpening etc. to trick regular consumers into thinking the image looks better than it actually does
Not sure how you can attribute that to tinfoil hat... if anything the original BF4 DF comparisons (or more appropriately the responses to them) show that to a notable segment the "sharpened" image appears better.

Doesn't it only work when you upscale to 1080p?

so far every game that is upscaled is affected. yes. The alternative is my post above. If you set XBONE to output only in 720p it won't apply the filter. Obviously you are going to want to set it back for 1080p titles.

Van Owen

Banned
So much for that superior Wii U version vs last gen consoles.

I've been pretty happy with the PS4 version. Could have gotten better performance with my PC but the framerate is still super solid at 1080p so I can't complain too much.

Parapraxis

That sharpening filter looks so bad... Why did they do this?

I used to crank up the contrast on my old old old tube TV back in the day so I could get "better" picture quality and well, be able to see the fuzzy images a little better. It was at best a last ditch effort, and nowhere near an ideal solution, but given I had only 3 channels via antenna, I pretty much had no choice.
Maybe MS is trying to help out those people who still use tube TVs? lol

Pjsprojects

So Ubi pushed the graphics up on WiiU over the PS360 and it had an effect on frame rate.

Well my copy arrived today so lets hope I'm happy with it because buying a PS4 in the UK is impossible at the mo.

so far every game that is upscaled is affected. yes. The alternative is my post above. If you set XBONE to output only in 720p it won't apply the filter. Obviously you are going to want to set it back for 1080p titles.

I tried this and it looked way worse. My TV scaler must not be good enough.

Honey Bunny

Oof, those xbone jaggies. o_0

Wii U version actually looks better to me than xbone in that pic. Though the performance downgrade is fucking pathetic. WORSE than last gen? Holy shit, that's just flat out unacceptable for a console that came out in 2012.

The Wii U pic does have less jaggies..but by virtue of the whole screen looking like a blurred mess.

MilkBeard

Someone smeared vasoline all over that WiiU screen!

It's the reverse of the Xbone's sharpening filter. The smear filter.

Wow this is just sad. I loved Batman: Arkham Origins on the Wii U, but it looks like I'll probably need another console if I want to play a good version (or any version) or any upcoming 3rd party games. And yes, I know I should've expected this, but to be a Nintendo fan is to huddle around a flickering candle of hope, surrounded by the ever-encroaching darkness.

B.O.O.M

You missed the whole 1080p patch news?

I do remember reading a thread about it a while back but I thought that was for COD or BF. I don't recall hearing there being a difference in resolution for AC before. lol well then again there's a lot of resolution related news/articles going around so maybe I just got confused

X1 version confirmed the best, it pops out more than the others.

Believe It!

This is the first gen where I honestly think the internet is going to influence sales to a very high degree IF this kind of stuff keeps up. People seeing these things are not going to forget them. The One version looks absolutely gross with that aliasing and filter. Who in their right mind would buy this on One knowing this? I just feel bad M let people down chasing some crazy, greedy dream. They deserve to fail this gen if you ask me. They have done everything wrong IMO.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Eww that sharpening filter on the Xbox One makes these games look so much worse, what were they thinking?

Because their bet was that to the casual observer, being over sharp and using black crush looks so much better, or something.

It's the same crap electrical shops here in the UK pull with Televisions, using the worst modes possible because apparently being sharp enough to cut your face and missing half of shadow detail attracts people.

As this shows, it looks horrendous, but it must be working for some people, considering the prevalence of the practice.

But I was told the Wii U version is superior to PS360 in the screenshot thread...

Love my Wii U, but it's time to lay all multiplatform hopes to rest

But I was told the Wii U version is superior to PS360 in the screenshot thread...

LOL, those usually people who love Nintendo and just cannot deal with the fact that system is on its way out of the main competition. The FPS in these ports is just terribad.

This faceoff is just insane. I really hope M is working on their tools.

hwateber

frame rate aside, the ps4 version has been looking pretty comparable to the PC version for me. I might just stick to the ps4 version for the convenience though. I like doing one or two missions after work while I'm waiting for the oven to heat up

hawk2025

Jpg with high compression .. Makes them all look bad. Been playing this on PC.. The game can be beautiful at times.

It really doesn't.

The two middle images show a nice and fairly detailed background vegetation, with a solid rendering of the boat's ropes.

okayfrog

Banned
I don't understand. The Wii U is an eighth generation console, along with the Xbox One and Playstation 4. So why would they say "both next-gen consoles" in regards to the Xbox One and Playstation 4, leaving out the Wii U? It seems as if an error was made. They should really correct that as I am liable to not take them seriously if they are unable to get their facts straight.

I don't understand. The Wii U is an eighth generation console, along with the Xbox One and Playstation 4. So why would they say "both next-gen consoles" in regards to the Xbox One and Playstation 4, leaving out the Wii U? It seems as if an error was made. They should really correct that as I am liable to not take them seriously if they are unable to get their facts straight.

Let's not start this again.

"ability to run Black Flag at 60fps is a tantalising prospect - and something that is only possible on PC, resulting in a smoother, far more fluid experience than on console" "

Top Bottom