• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs. AC4 PS3/360/WiiU/PS4/XB1/PC (Take shelter)

IcyEyes

I have this game both on PC and PS4.
On PC, everything at max AC looks better than the PS4, but not so much except the framerate. (bear in mind I own a very, very powerful PC and don't forget the Ps4 is a 399$ piece of hardware (pad included)), so considering the PS4 and Xbone are a new consoles I think it's a pretty bright situation for them.

water looks good for wii u. xbox one. it just jumps out at you. look at the highly detailed vegetation in the background.

The vegetation in the Wii-U looks like something that came out of my nose when I sneezed last night.

And those XB1 jaggies... they need to put a sign up warning people not to cut themselves on them.

Flipyap

ibjJH5vUnvss6f.PNG

Wow.png

Man, the Wii U is just sad. Sucks for xbone owners too. Pay an extra hundred bucks for a lower framerate and resolution. Much value.

Yup. Still happy I sold mine off to a co-worker.

And yeah, cant wait to get a PS4 to finally play an AC game at a locked framerate.... well at least since I sold my gaming notebook years back.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't understand. The Wii U is an eighth generation console, along with the Xbox One and Playstation 4. So why would they say "both next-gen consoles" in regards to the Xbox One and Playstation 4, leaving out the Wii U? It seems as if an error was made. They should really correct that as I am liable to not take them seriously if they are unable to get their facts straight.

Because it can't run games as well as the 7th generation consoles can. It's going to be a loooong generation for you if you can't accept why people "leave it out".

pixlexic

Banned
Again people shouldn't use that IMG as a reference the compression. Artifacts makes them look much worse than they are.

Durante

A good article, though I'd have wanted a bit more coverage of just how awesome HBAO+ is. The results are not at all surprising.

I do like that they included this part:
That said, there is a more affordable choice available that offers all the visual refinement of the PS4 version - and more. If you have a decent gaming rig, the PC version is the way to go from a software price/performance perspective. Black Flag is available on PC for around £35 online, while you'll be looking at no less than £48 for the PS4 and Xbox One releases - a tidy saving of £13. Factoring in the ability to achieve a similar level of image quality to the PS4 game while running at double the frame-rate without needing Titan-level hardware, it's clear that PC's stranglehold on the top-end multi-platform experience isn't going to change any time soon.

Heh. You also see the weakness of pure post-processing methods in sub-pixel structures on this one when comparing PC to PS4.

satori

God damn my eyes....wtf how did they think that looks remotely good? And you know what? Half of my family who owns an HDTV have no idea about calibrations until I do it for them. They have it on dynamic mode with sharpness and brightness at max. It blows my mind how they can watch more than 30 seconds of something in those setting with out burning their eyes out.

Not surprising to me when I think about it, that shit with the xbox one and over sharpness would fly...Crushing blacks and sharpness of a razor blade, then when they see a proper calibrated set they realize it...

Dec

Why are these images so damn small? Can't see shit. Very obvious that the aliasing in the console versions is pretty bad though. Ropes don't even look like ropes in that last shot. Looks like some sort of fill in the dotted outline coloring book.

DJwest

I don't understand. The Wii U is an eighth generation console, along with the Xbox One and Playstation 4. So why would they say "both next-gen consoles" in regards to the Xbox One and Playstation 4, leaving out the Wii U? It seems as if an error was made. They should really correct that as I am liable to not take them seriously if they are unable to get their facts straight.
Lmao.

CCIE

Banned
AC4 at consistent 30fps in 1080p on PS4
AC4 at 900p on XB1 and it drops below 30fps?

Hmm...

Why are you surprised? The One is significantly less powerful than the PS4, and no math problems are going to change that fact. It is too bad, because the multimedia functions are so much better on the One. But as a gaming machine, the PS4 just kills the One in basically all multiplatform titles, and will continue to do so.

So I should just keep my PS4 always set to 1080p and my Xbone to 720p? Although I hear that Ryse looks amazing, and its not 1080p. This crap is so confusing! Lol

So these screenshots are ok, but the ones from the screenshot thread are not because? I played 50 hours of AC4 and never noticed a dip except during multiship fights.

11redder

They play with the RGB Limited default crap,
Cant believe these comparisons sites dont go to the menu and put RGB Full.

PS4 on my TV looks like the XB1 screen, with better resolution and extreme clearness textures, so sharp I even see flickering but lowering sharpness fixes that.
If that's the case, you really need to calibrate your tv or you're doing the PS4 and your other consoles a serious disservice, because that XBOne image is horrendous, far worse than the murky Wii U image in my book. (I'm not claiming the Wii U version of the game is superior, as its even worse than the current gen versions in terms of performance, just that, as captured, the XBOne skew is nauseating).

So I should just keep my PS4 always set to 1080p and my Xbone to 720p? Although I hear that Ryse looks amazing, and its not 1080p. This crap is so confusing! Lol

Surprisingly I think Ryse gets a free pass from the sharpening filter even though it's sub 1080p

That seems telling

driver116

In fact, on the PS4 we never felt or noticed anything other than a locked 30fps update at all during our four hours or so of capturing - an impressive feat considering the boost to 1080p rendering.

franco-so-good.gif

No.

You "setting" your Xbone to 720p won't do a damn thing.

The PS4 version will always look better. Period.

Huh. I've played the wii u version for like 25 hours and haven't had any issues.
I've had frame drops when I have 10 guards chasing me at once, but it's a fairly solid 30fps throughout.

The only gripe I have is the opening area of the game, it looked fugly with some massively blown out colors.

tebunker

Banned
Huh. I've played the wii u version for like 25 hours and haven't had any issues.

This, and between the wife and me we have over 50 hours and I have not seen or experienced anything they speak of. Don't doubt that the PS4 version is better, but I haven't had to redo anu missions on Wii U due to framerate or graphical issue or control issues. Frankly I have started to feel like Digital Foundry can be completely ignored because it has never matched my own experiences on any system.

Shame Wii U versions has framerate issues as it looks good enough for me, was looking forward to getting it as I love the HUD-less screen with the gamepad.

Strange that impressions for the game were positive on the Wii U. Call me crazy but not sure what to do, if getting it on the Wii U or next year on my new rig.

The jaggies in the XB1 are so bad, they're practically individual pixel boxes.

Those ropes on the sails don't look like a single line - they look like a box of individual mini-boxes with spaces in between.

I remember seeing the same thing in the BF4 comparison videos when you're moving past all those power lines and towers.

Anti-aliasing is practically non-existent on the XB1.

glaurung

Well the sharpening filter is on MS, not ubisoft

I seriously doubt Ubisoft has say on whether or not it gets used
Wasn't there a thread were some dude managed to pull Killer Instinct screens from Xbox One that were without the horrendous superblacksharpknees filter?

I wonder if DF would be able to work their magic and get a screenshot without the filter from the Xbox One version... Then it'd be a proper comparison.

Useless on the other hand, because the filter is full on during game play.

Top Bottom