• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs. AC4 PS3/360/WiiU/PS4/XB1/PC (Take shelter)

hwateber

The water is gorgeous on every platform I've seen. That's mostly from an art standpoint though. The actual player interaction with the water is so last gen. Swimming seems really jarring to me

God damn my eyes....wtf how did they think that looks remotely good? And you know what? Half of my family who owns an HDTV have no idea about calibrations until I do it for them. They have it on dynamic mode with sharpness and brightness at max. It blows my mind how they can watch more than 30 seconds of something in those setting with out burning their eyes out.

Not surprising to me when I think about it, that shit with the xbox one and over sharpness would fly...Crushing blacks and sharpness of a razor blade, then when they see a proper calibrated set they realize it...

No doubt man. I cannot stand when people do not calibrate their televisions. It just bothers me to no end. I have to leave the room. Xbox One IQ looks horrific in the extreme. This is worse than any faceoff but the bottom tier ones. And even then I am not sure. The amazing part is that this is going to be normal.

Shame Wii U versions has framerate issues as it looks good enough for me, was looking forward to getting it as I love the HUD-less screen with the gamepad.

Strange that impressions for the game were positive on the Wii U. Call me crazy but not sure what to do, if getting it on the Wii U or next year on my new rig.
Between the two, obviously get the PC version. The WiiU port is serviceable but the PC version is going to be better.

Seik

Banned
Not surprised about the Wii U version being shit.

I got it when FutureShop had that insane deal where I could trade any game for it.

Framerate was so bad it was like a punch to the face, haha. Even my friend that usually never notice that shit pointed it out to me.

Coxy

You can see all in the blue sky around the ropes.

When I get home tonight i wi take a screen shot of the PC version to show what it really looks like.

that's not what I asked. what kind of compression are you saying there is?

creed_iv_comparej4s2h.jpg

dat Xbox one upscale secret sauce

Parapraxis

Wasn't there a thread were some dude managed to pull Killer Instinct screens from Xbox One that were without the horrendous superblacksharpknees filter?

I wonder if DF would be able to work their magic and get a screenshot without the filter from the Xbox One version... Then it'd be a proper comparison.

Useless on the other hand, because the filter is full on during game play.

Yup, the non-filtered screengrabs looked so much better, you could actually see different black levels.
The screengrab trick would not make for "proper" comparisons though, it would be completely misleading as the image that is output to your TV is filtered, and that filter is not really optional.

So basically the technical gap between all the versions is not drastic. Dat next gen.

Digital Foundry said:
The situation [for the PS4 version] improved still further when Ubisoft released a post-release patch delivering a clear 44 per cent boost to resolution without any noticeable performance penalty, offering up a slick, highly appealing full 1080p presentation.

Numbers how do they work?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
and to think so many people were swearing blindly over the wiiU version lol...

they should've expected the same after the exact same happened with Arkham Origins.

pixlexic

Banned
that's not what I asked. what kind of compression are you saying there is?

You can see the compression artifacts clearly. What are you talking about? Because it's a png? You can compress pngs. You can also take a IMG that's compressed and turn into a uncompressed png and still see the artifacts from the original image.

Trago

Really?
Seems pretty significant to me.

Never said it wasn't significant at all. There is a significant difference, but it's not as clear cut as it was going from PS2 to PS3. I think Battlefield 4 shows a better night and day difference between all platform than AC4.

Steroyd

Man Wii U can't even get proper ports of PS360 games when developed simultaneously, lord help them when devs stop making PS360 games.

watership

Welp, there it is. This image bugs me more than any other X1/PS4 comparison. I don't mind the BF4 differences, but the sharpening filter thing is going to be a problem. Is this just driver/sharpening filter problems or the X1's gpu just not cutting it? I'm hoping it's the former.

Some people thought the shitty crushed black and jacked up contrast on x360 games were awesome, so much pop, so MS decided to double down on the Xbone.

They should just upscale it to 4K while they're at it. No one will be able to tell the difference.

/shot

Never said it wasn't significant at all. There is a significant difference, but it's not as clear cut as it was going from PS2 to PS3. I think Battlefield 4 shows a better night and day difference between all platform than AC4.

That is subjective opinion on the difference

From a technical perspective it is a larger increase from previous gen to previous gen because that's how math works

You initially said

So basically the technical gap between all the versions is not drastic. Dat next gen.

which is completely incorrect

SmokyDave

Man, Digital Foundry is going to be boring this generation.

360 > PS3 > Wii U.

PC > PS4 > XBone.

Copy and paste for every face-off.

vpance

I want to see what the Bone version looks like on a TV in dynamic mode or with high sharpness. Someone post a pic :)

Trago

Dude, you can cut your hand on those jaggies man. Nice try though.

720p nutters be all over the place.

My question is what and the hell is drastic for you people?

I'm not saying that there isn't a difference, it's just not drastic. BF4 made the difference between current and next gen more obvious. That's drastic.

Huh. I've played the wii u version for like 25 hours and haven't had any issues.

This, and between the wife and me we have over 50 hours and I have not seen or experienced anything they speak of. Don't doubt that the PS4 version is better, but I haven't had to redo anu missions on Wii U due to framerate or graphical issue or control issues. Frankly I have started to feel like Digital Foundry can be completely ignored because it has never matched my own experiences on any system.

Good to hear. I'll be getting this as a gift and was looking forward to playing it.

Vashetti

Banned
Wii U is not a next gen console cuz graphics.

In terms of its release period, it's a next-gen console.

In terms of power, it belongs to the PS3/360 generation.

Same with the Wii, it belonged to the PS3/360 generation in terms of release period, but in terms of power it belonged to the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube generation.

Trago

That is subjective opinion on the difference

From a technical perspective it is a larger increase from previous gen to previous gen because that's how math works

You initially said

which is completely incorrect

Thanks for correcting me. My mistake.

With AC4 and COD:G needing patches to be 1080p.

Is it because MS forces resolution parity on release?

BF4 released at 900p on the ps4 and 720p on the xbox one so I'm not certain about any sort of forced parity - i think it's just a coincidence brought on by games rushing for launch.

I really don't appreciate the author sticking this inflammatory statement in at the end:
That said, there is a more affordable choice available that offers all the visual refinement of the PS4 version - and more. If you have a decent gaming rig, the PC version is the way to go from a software price/performance perspective. Black Flag is available on PC for around £35 online, while you'll be looking at no less than £48 for the PS4 and Xbox One releases - a tidy saving of £13. Factoring in the ability to achieve a similar level of image quality to the PS4 game while running at double the frame-rate without needing Titan-level hardware, it's clear that PC's stranglehold on the top-end multi-platform experience isn't going to change any time soon.
Console is not automatically inferior to PC graphics experience. It's becoming tiring going on internet gaming sites and seeing this statement almost as if to laugh at console people. I will not regret buying a PS4 and people shouldn't be trying to convert others to PC instead. I don't understand why he talks about PC being better value. It's almost like he has done no research into what powerful graphics Sony stuck into PS4 for $399.99:
zsH9z6Q.png

I'm not trying to say that PC is worse/better than PS4, only an alternative.

KMS

So I should just keep my PS4 always set to 1080p and my Xbone to 720p? Although I hear that Ryse looks amazing, and its not 1080p. This crap is so confusing! Lol

Crytek realized how crap the hardware scaler was so wrote a software scaler to bypass the hardware one.

Man Wii U can't even get proper ports of PS360 games when developed simultaneously, lord help them when devs stop making PS360 games.

Anyone with some common sense could have seen the future of the WiiU by watching this year's E3.
You just need to take a look at this list and notice how pretty much everyone has bailed out.

Thanks for correcting me. My mistake.

Sorry if I came across as aggressive. Just that from a technical aspect ACIV does show the changes from Last Gen to Next Gen is significant

I would actually agree that BF4 is a better example of Next Gen goodness :)

jmizzal

Shame Wii U versions has framerate issues as it looks good enough for me, was looking forward to getting it as I love the HUD-less screen with the gamepad.

Strange that impressions for the game were positive on the Wii U. Call me crazy but not sure what to do, if getting it on the Wii U or next year on my new rig.

DF usually exaggerate on frame rate issues

Trago

Sorry if I came across as aggressive. Just that from a technical aspect ACIV does show the changes from Last Gen to Next Gen is significant

I would actually agree that BF4 is a better example of Next Gen goodness :)

No problem, I plan on playing this on PC anyway :p

Wallach

I really don't appreciate the author sticking this inflammatory statement in at the end:

Console is not automatically inferior to PC graphics experience. It's becoming tiring going on internet gaming sites and seeing this statement almost as if to laugh at console people. I will not regret buying a PS4 and people shouldn't be trying to convert others to PC instead. I don't understand why he talks about PC being better value. It's almost like he has done no research into what powerful graphics Sony stuck into PS4 for $399.99:
zsH9z6Q.png

Xjlwa9i.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zsH9z6Q.png?2

Stop trolling.

Top Bottom