• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs. The Last of Us Remastered

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Good thing Sony sent out review copies early enough that Digital Foundry could release their technical analysis pre-release and people that are very peculiar about technical things can make an informed purchase.

hesido

I hope people doesn't think this is a 48fps game just because it dips there for a second. The game seems to stay at 60fps a good deal of the time and above 55 majority of the time.

Clearly we need a different metric for variable 60fps games, maybe a chart to see how long it says at what fps.

RyudBoy

Frame rate dips as low as 48 while maintaining 60 most of the time... a non-issue for me.

Gonna buy a PS4 soon and experience TLoU for the first time. Woot!

.Anema

Footage looks really smooth. Awesome, but I feel weird about the 60fps, I'm not sure about that so maybe I will try both frame rates before my final adventure.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
I hope people doesn't think this is a 48fps game just because it dips there for a second. The game seems to stay at 60fps a good deal of the time and above 55 majority of the time.

Clearly we need a different metric for variable 60fps games, maybe a chart to see how long it says at what fps.

A 60 fps game should stay at 60 at all times, 55 fps or whatever is unacceptable, at least until all screens have something like Gsync capabilities. I'd rather have constant 30 fps than an unstable 60 fps.
Just my opinion, of course, feel free to disagree ;)

jaosobno

48 in a single scene, 60 FPS almost all the time?

best_animated_images_car_jump_in.gif

Preordered weeks ago.

hesido

A 60 fps game should stay at 60 at all times, 55 fps or whatever is unacceptable, at least until all screens have something like Gsync capabilities. I'd rather have constant 30 fps than an unstable 60 fps.
(My opinion, of course).

What would be your limit? If the game showed a hiccup during loading and dropped to 50fps for a second, would you like to discard all those extra frames?

If a game stays at 60fps 80%-90% of the time, do you think it is worth to play it 30fps at 100% of the time?

I think this is what most rational people expected, a remaster which gives a better experience, but doesn't go over every single asset.Good job :)

CozMick

Banned
I'm waiting for the person who claims that lone dip to 48fps is enough to warrant a locked 30.

We've come full circle in just a few posts.

A near constant 60fps is great to hear. IGNs review made it even more clear the difference that is shown.

viveks86

Blim, your eyes are too tuned for this kind of thing. I can see this being subjective, so I see no point in disagreeing with you
although I want to :)

You should watch the video.

The original game in the ps3 didn't manage to mantain 30fps during traversal. Even if we only had the 30fps lock option, it would be a great improvment.

IN&OUT

Banned
Awesome job ND.

Porting a heavy utilized PS3 game is a nightmare, but they have proofed to be best in class.

Look at those framerate, Awesome job.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The original game in the ps3 didn't manage to mantain 30fps during traversal. Even if we only had the 30fps lock option, it would be a great improvment.

You're connecting dots that aren't there. He was in no way trying to suggest that Remastered isn't a great improvement because it can't hold 60fps 100% of the time.

hesido

Blim, your eyes are too tuned for this kind of thing. I can see this being subjective, so I see no point in disagreeing with you
although I want to :)

But he's being too harsh. "At all times" is WAY too unforgiving even for a subjective matter. You play a 10 hour game, if the game is 60fps for 9.5 hours, is it still not worth to play it at 60fps instead of locking down to 30fps?

funkypie

Banned

You sound like you've never played games on PC. If a game drops 5 frames to 55 from 60 it is not even noticable. And going to 55 from 60 isn't unstable. Beast rigs will drop a few frames for a couple of seconds if suddenly loads of shot was going on like in an fps.

IN&OUT

Banned
Wow at the way DF worded the fps segment ! I recommend watching the fps analysis video, game is 99% constant 60 fps.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
But he's being too harsh. "At all times" is WAY too unforgiving even for a subjective matter. You play a 10 hour game, if the game is 60fps for 9.5 hours, is it still not worth to play it at 60fps instead of locking down to 30fps?
Why do you care? He thinks it's unacceptable that a game isn't locked. This game isn't locked, so he doesn't play it at the default option.

Where it will become an issue is for games that aren't locked at 60 FPS which I would comfortably predict will be many that don't have an option to lock it at 30 FPS.

Some people just have very high standards. Those standards aren't compatible with all games, nor are they even compatible with a mega beefy PC where the scheduler has a different idea at any particular moment in time.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
You sound like you've never played games on PC. If a game drops 5 frames to 55 from 60 it is not even noticable. And going to 55 from 60 isn't unstable. Beast rigs will drop a few frames for a couple of seconds if suddenly loads of shot was going on like in an fps.

I play on PC all the time, and it drives me crazy. I absolutely hate unstable framerates. AC4 on my rig ran at 60 fps most of the time with drops to 50-55. In the end I locked it to 30 fps and I was happy :)
Of course a few drop here and there are acceptable, but what I find unacceptable is when a game gets under 60 when things get too busy graphically and stays there until that particular thing is done.

MaLDo

False. False. False. False.

Ey, four in a row.

hesido

Why do you care? He thinks it's unacceptable that a game isn't locked. This game isn't locked, so he doesn't play it at the default option.

Where it will become an issue is for games that aren't locked at 60 FPS which I would comfortably predict will be many that don't have an option to lock it at 30 FPS.

Some people just have very high standards. Those standards aren't compatible with all games, nor are they even compatible with a mega beefy PC where the scheduler has a different idea at any particular moment in time.

I care because a fellow gamer might just be discarding frames for no good reason. A unicorn dies everytime you select 30fps option on a 95 percentile 60fps game.

I also wonder what his limits to "at all times" are. I'm sure he has to have some limit, and not select the 30fps option just because the game "dips" below 60fps for a mere second.

I play on PC all the time, and it drives me crazy. I absolutely hate unstable framerates. AC4 on my rig ran at 60 fps most of the time with drops to 50-55. In the end I locked it to 30 fps and I was happy :)
Of course a few drop here and there are acceptable, but what I find unacceptable is when a game gets under 60 when things get too busy graphically and stays there until that particular thing is done.

I guess it's a good thing you can lock it to 30 here. At least you will get better shadows out of it too. And to think, some people said they shouldn't have included that option.

Leb

The only way it's not going to be noticeable is if you've got g-sync/freesync. Otherwise, you'll either experience tearing or judder.

I still plan to play on 60, but it's definitely a phenomenon.

viveks86

I think Benny pretty much explained why personal standards are difficult to debate without sounding preachy. Blim looks at videos all day and he probably finds variations far more distracting than a steady albeit lower framerate.

And there it is

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
There's some shady, selectively bolded text going on in the OP: the "Geometry quality is unimpressive, environment detail is relatively spartan and this section does little to showcase the game at its best" segment refers to first impressions courtesy of the opening act, and how "frame-rate isn't locked to 60fps" is bolded but "The Last of Us Remastered does spend the vast majority of its time at the optimal refresh" is suspiciously not.

These kinds of small differences are what seperate (relatively) saner discussions and 100-page shit shows.

hodgy100

That 60fps footage is gorgeous! its unfortunate that it dips at that one moment. People on here will make a massive deal out of a moment that last's for a split second, especially when for 99% of the time the framerate is great.

IN&OUT

Banned
There's some shady selective bolded text going on in the OP: "Geometry quality is unimpressive, environment detail is relatively spartan and this section does little to showcase the game at its best" segment refers to the first impressions courtesy of the opening act, and how "frame-rate isn't locked to 60fps" is bolded but "The Last of Us Remastered does spend the vast majority of its time at the optimal refresh" is suspiciously not.

This kind of small differences is what seperates saner discussions and 100-page shit shows.

I agree.

Watched a 60fps v 30fps comparison vid, and holy shit, 30fps looks like crap :lol

You can definitely see a clear difference between the two frame rates.

#team60forSPandMP

There's some shady selectively bolded text going on in the OP "

I think people need to stop bolding OPs it just colours the whole discussion.

It's not difficult to read a few paragraphs but instead everyone zones in on the parts the OP chose with their bias.

Raist

Banned
It's bizarre that the framerate goes a bit nuts in that scene where Joel is upside down.
But yeah, that's more 60FPS than many 60FPS titles out there.

That 60fps footage is gorgeous! its unfortunate that it dips at that one moment. People on here will make a massive deal out of a moment that last's for a split second, especially when for 99% of the time the framerate is great.
Those cherries ain't gonna pick themselves I guess. You know how this sort of thing goes.

Vashetti

Banned
There's some shady, selectively bolded text going on in the OP: the "Geometry quality is unimpressive, environment detail is relatively spartan and this section does little to showcase the game at its best" segment refers to first impressions courtesy of the opening act, and how "frame-rate isn't locked to 60fps" is bolded but "The Last of Us Remastered does spend the vast majority of its time at the optimal refresh" is suspiciously not.

These kinds of small differences are what seperate (relatively) saner discussions and 100-page shit shows.

Sorry, I'd barely woken up when I first made the thread and missed some details. Updated OP.

I think it's a psychological thing, when you know it's not 100% of the time, you look for those periods where it drops instead of enjoying the game. If it was dropping constantly, that would be another issue, but even if it's rare, you'll find people will go out of their way to find the drops.

jaosobno

Then one could argue that 60 FPS games on consoles practically never existed. COD is hailed as a 60 FPS game, and yet it has dips to lower 50s. Same can be said for almost all 60 FPS games on consoles.

Not to mention that even monster PCs sometimes struggle to keep things perfectly (60 FPS) V-Synced at higher details.

I don't mind if games sometime dip below 60, as long as it rarely happens and as long as dips are not too severe. It's way better than locked 30.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
just to counter the quote in the OP that sounds pretty critical but focuses on the prologue:

However, while its last-gen origins are at times obvious, there's no doubt that The Last of Us Remastered can look simply sensational. The boost in resolution combined with the enhanced textures emphasises the sheer class of Naughty Dog's artwork at all times. The contextual animation system and stunning performance capture is still up there with the best, and it is only enhanced by the move from 30 to 60 frames per second. The more detail-rich exterior scenes, enhanced with longer view distances, look especially beautiful bathed in the ambient lighting and god-rays from a setting sun. While effects work can look a little basic in places, the higher precision marries up perfectly in most cases with the full HD resolution, while some effects - such as water reflections - put a lot of full-blooded PS4 and Xbox One titles to shame.

They still talk about wishing ND had touched up a few areas, or added some AO/updated global illumination, but overall I think it is as positive as you'd expect from a Digital Foundry article (because they are reporting purely on the technical aspects and of course many of those are held back by the game's origins)

Nev

Banned
Honest, non-trolling question: how are they supposed to mantain a stable 60 rate with Uncharted 4, which from what we've seen looks almost CGI if a PS3 game has dips?

Top Bottom