• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs. The Last of Us Remastered

dolabla

Honest, non-trolling question: how are they supposed to mantain a stable 60 rate with Uncharted 4, which from what we've seen looks almost CGI if a PS3 game has dips?

Well, for one, Uncharted 4 is being built from the ground up for the PS4 unlike this game. I think that will make a difference, though it will probably still have some framerate dips.

HORRORSHØW

Honest, non-trolling question: how are they supposed to mantain a stable 60 rate with Uncharted 4, which from what we've seen looks almost CGI if a PS3 game has dips?

well, tlou is a port job from a very different architecture. whereas uncharted will be built ground up for the ps4. don't know if they'll reach their goals, though.

IN&OUT

Banned

Honest answer: TLOU is heavily optimised PS3 game not built to take advantage of PS4 APU. Its simply like asking why my monster PC can't run PS2 emulated games well despite being 100x more powerful.

Also look at the fps analysis, there are barely any dips.

Hoje0308

Banned
Struggling so hard not to watch the footage. I want the first time I see this game running at 60 FPS to be on my television while I'm actually playing it. So close...

Calmine

Due to the engine being developed for PS3 they are having to port it new system which is designed differently. It helps them learn and utilise their PS4 engine for new Uncharted. Remember Cell is a bitch to program for.

Critical Path code for these types of games is usually highly optimised for one platform and might have to be replaced to build on another platform (APIs are different, might not contain the same calls). The replacement might not be as efficient as the old path on the new hardware, or might have some unintended side effects.

Replacing this code with more optmised code isn't feasible in a short time frame, especially when the platform isn't mature yet. It might turn out that the old way of doing something has no alternative on the new platform and a slower workaround was used. For example, jobs that might be delegating to a queue on the PS4 were handed in threads on the PS3, migrating that code might be extremely hard or impossible without a rewrite of a large chunk of code. Writing the code with this in mind from the start would mean the maximum benefit of the new hardware was realised.

Dunkley

I'm really impressed, given that those 48fps drops don't last longer than a second. Naughty Dog really did a good job at maintaining the 60fps goal.

Edit:

No mention of ShadowGate2014? Or is that part of the day 1 patch they said they didn't have yet?

dq9cEUO.jpg

Rainy Dog

Sounds like it's turned out pretty much exactly how I expected to when it was announced. Great stuff and glad I held out on my 2nd playthrough.

The only area I think they dropped the ball on is the shadows thing and even putting a 30fps option in there really. This performance analysis shows clearly didn't need it for technical reasons and I'd personally prefer a developer of this pedigree and influence to use an opportunity like this to encourage gamers to embrace 60fps as the objectively better experience for every game.

It was this way on ps3 as well. It's a small jump cut.

Oh, since they're pointing it out I figured it was bigger than in the PS3 version. The way they say it makes it seem like an issue that is exclusive to this version, if it's the same as on PS3 it's barely noticeable for fuck's sake, taking nitpicking to another level, I've never heard anyone complain about that.

It's like comparing a remastering of an old Star Wars to the cgi in a new Star Wars.

When a game is tailored to the strenghts of a specific piece of hardware to the point TLOU was, it's not as straightforward as you seem to think. It's not a matter of just throwing raw processing power at it, the code just wasn't written to make use of the PS4's architecture. Uncharted 4 wont have that problem since it's a PS4 game from the start.
That being said, don0t expect a locked 60fps for uncharted either. Some crazy stuff tends to happen in those games, having it maintain the 60fps in absolute worse case scenarios with the kind of visuals they are pulling off would be insanity.
Better to allow slight dips in very specific situations than sacrificing visual quality across the whole game just to maintain the 60fps in those instances.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Like expected. I imagine it's not exactly a piece of cake to rewrite that highly Cell-optimized engine for a more traditional architecture. You don't just copy the code over. I'm sure they'll achieve much greater things in the future, starting with Uncharted 4.

So 60fps unlocked?

EDIT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVplf_K1kSw

But stays 60 for most of the time, so thats good enough. Nowhere near as bad as Infamous.

Why are people suddenly talking about Infamous as if it's a game that tries to achieve 60 fps but fails? It has never been that, it was always a 30+ fps game with an unlocked framerate that was later optionally locked to 30.

It just hit me that Richard Leadbetter hadn't played TLOU before. That's really weird, he's usually all over games that push technical boundaries on their hardware and he has said that he's a fan of ND's work.
Besides, with all the praise the game got and having easy access to it it's kinda surprising he didn't check it out.

and contrary to reports they appear to remain the same, with identical cascade transitions if you toggle the game to run at the optional 30fps.

After 45 minutes of searching, swapping between frame-rates, walking backwards and forwards looking at shadows, we noticed nothing untoward at all.

Wasn't he aware that the 30fps shadows are a day 1 patch? It has been known for a while. Or is he saying that there's no improvement even with the patch?

You can literally count on one hand how many console games stay at 60fps all the time. At a certain point almost all games have dips.

48fps is the minimum it dipped to, and in one of the most intense scenes in the game, for no longer than a second?

I can deal with that :D

Qassim

Watching the 1080p60fps mp4 download. The aliasing on it rather disappointing. If it were me I'd be prioritising resources for 1080p60fps + good AA. What's left then goes on everything else.

p3tran

Banned
There is really no such thing as a "locked 60 fps" with how modern realtime graphics works so that's a weird choice of words, but yea it seems fairly stable but not perfect.

how about: oh yes, there is!
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-23-digital-foundry-vs-forza-motorsport-5

now if some people want to accept "its 60hz, unless there is shit happening" as 60hz locked,
thats their prerogative.
exactly the same goes for "yeah, sure, eye candy to the max and locked 30hz" when under load it dips too.
their prerogative to accept as "locked" also.

and like your post, I am also not referring specifically to this game, but in general!

thebloo

Why are people suddenly talking about Infamous as if it's a game that tries to achieve 60 fps but fails? It has never been that, it was always a 30+ fps game with an unlocked framerate that was later optionally locked to 30.

So have the Uncharted and GoW games. It's really nothing new.

Technically that's not locked either. It just never goes under 60, but you can't "lock" the minimum fps.

jimi_dini

You can literally count on one hand how many console games stay at 60fps all the time. At a certain point almost all games have dips.

Make that 2 hands

Rayman Legends
New Super Mario Bros. U
Super Mario 3D World
Nintendo Land
Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze
Mario Kart 8 (insert 59fps joke here)
Sonic Lost World

(and I won't mention all those 60 fps Wii games)

It's quite sad. Naughty Dog managed to create a really beautiful and rock solid 60 fps game on PS2 called Jak & Daxter despite PS2 being awfully hard to code for.

beril

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-23-digital-foundry-vs-forza-motorsport-5

now if some people want to accept "its 60hz, unless there is shit happening" as 60hz locked,
thats their prerogative.
exactly the same goes for "yeah, sure, eye candy to the max and locked 30hz" when under load it dips too.

and like your post, I am also not referring specifically to this game, but in general!

Oh, I know there are certainly tons of games with a stable or constant 60fps, I'm just commenting on the term "locked" and "unlocked".

You can cap it so it doesn't go over 60, but you can't really lock it to a maximum frame time, unless you just stop drawing stuff after a certain point like the NES with it's flickering sprites (which still dipped below 60fps a lot because of the CPU load). All you can do is to allow for a large safety margin, and through testing try to ensure that it never dips.

thats their prerogative.

Sorry to go off-topic, and be extremely nit-picky....but Forza 5 technically doesn't have a 100% locked framerate. If you drive/crash off track and onto the gravel and kick up dust, the frames will dip.

I'm just sayin' XD

Percy

Banned

Haven't read that article but if they're claiming there's no framerate dips in Forza 5 at any time in it then lol because I encountered a few when I was playing the game and I don't know about GAF, but on other forums I frequented at the time there was much discussion on the matter, so clearly it wasn't just me.

"Locked 60fps" is a term that console gamers should maybe just stop using for anything other than a small number of downloadable and indie titles imo. Never played a console game that was truly locked at 60fps the entire time.

Richard Leadbetter said:
What Naughty Dog has done is to scale up both physical and temporal resolution, but the core technologies are very much PS3 in nature. The mind-bogglingly good anti-aliasing seen in the Uncharted 4 teaser isn't here, for example. Instead, it's a reasonable enough post-process effect. It's good at smoothing edges, but there is shimmer in motion. Lighting can appear rather basic and harsh in some scenes, the pre-baked global illumination isn't a patch on top-end PS4 titles, and while texture detail is enormously improved to next-gen standards, geometry remains unchanged - those hexagonal pipes, squared-off edges and bisecting polygonal foliage textures look jarring in the new current-gen era. Shadowmaps get a 2x detail boost, but the quality in relation to resolution remains unchanged - those dynamic real-time shadows can look pretty low res on PS3, and they still do here - and contrary to reports they appear to remain the same, with identical cascade transitions if you toggle the game to run at the optional 30fps.

After 45 minutes of searching, swapping between frame-rates, walking backwards and forwards looking at shadows, we noticed nothing untoward at all. If there is a difference at some point in the game, we can only assume it's a minor bug and not something that is likely to make you feel shortchanged by running the game at 60fps. Certainly we can think of a whole host of changes Naughty Dog could have implemented instead with double the render time - a measure of super-sampling working in concert with the post-process AA, for example, could have made a real difference.

A bit disappointed that 30 fps could have looked dramatically better. Good work otherwise. Congrats to ND!

Feindflug

Well he did say modern realtime graphics. ;-)

Forza 5 = retro realtime graphics confirmed.

BTW didn't ND said that they locked the frame-rate? maybe a patch will be released to iron out the frame drops.

Watching that video, looks like the frame rate is a solid 60fps the vast majority of the time. Which is my preference over a locked 60fps (which has to drop graphical fidelity in order to make leeway for otherwise very rare occurrences).

That's the first time I see someone say that.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Is there some reason why the upside down section causes a consistent dip?

They render the scene normally, then have to rotate it 180 degrees. So it is extra calculation and can cause drops.

I have no idea

I'd be curious if is it close enough to 60 often enough to get the Dark10x seal of approval.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Watching that video, looks like the frame rate is a solid 60fps the vast majority of the time. Which is my preference over a locked 60fps (which has to drop graphical fidelity in order to make leeway for otherwise very rare occurrences).

well if there are only a few occurences where it drops below 60, and the reasons for that are known (eg lots of alpha effects in bloater fights), then arguably ND could have tweaked some settings down a bit in those areas to keep the framerate higher.

Top Bottom