• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry vs Watch Dogs on Wii U

Radec

hdtown4zsdt.gif

Xenoblade X is on it's way...

And how is this better looking than watch dogs again?

killatopak

They sure will. Looks like a gorgeous game and will more than likely be RPG of 2015 (only real comp being FFXV*)**

*if it ships
*if it's any good

We'll know when the demo releases this March but I'm already convinced it will be good because of all the interview and snippets of the game coming out recently. Add that to the darker story that Nomura wants then it will probably be my GOTY once it comes out. If not then Xenoblade wins automatically since I'm a mecha fan.

I don't understand why there isn't some sort of a bottom FPS limit for console games. A game shouldn't be considered as finished if driving around town causes drops to 20 FPS

Yeah, I wonder what happened to Nintendo quality control. This should not be allowed to ship, that is worse than AC Unity. Ubisoft making the PS3 look like a multiplatform beast.

So .. this is exactly the same case as Black Flag on WiiU.

When the games released we had individual posters claiming how it was such a huge improvement over PS3/360, but then the face/off's came out....

They still do. Just look at the other WD thread. (Some funny meltdowns in there...)

Green Yoshi

Why did they compare it with the PS3-version? The Xbox 360-version is far better in terms of performance and tearing. Of course it looks as ugly as on PS3.

Seik

Banned
And how is this better looking than watch dogs again?

Can't say it looks better, but it certainly will run better and the art-style is way more attractive to me.

I'm kinda biased since I'm a sucker for everything that involves giant robots though. :lol

Sure, if Bloodborne and The Witcher 3 didn't exist. :p
Pssshhh. Yeah right.
We'll know when the demo releases this March but I'm already convinced it will be good because of all the interview and snippets of the game coming out recently. Add that to the darker story that Nomura wants then it will probably be my GOTY once it comes out. If not then Xenoblade wins automatically since I'm a mecha fan.
I thought the same about FFXIII too. And then...

Let's just wait 'til March to see what they're working with.

Sify64

Just like I thought it was a crap port even with a six month delay(collecting dust for the most part). Don't know what more poeple expected knowing Ubisoft's stance with the Wii U. Luckily, I remembered to cancel my preorder in time.

Seanspeed

Banned
Sounds like the game just shouldn't have been a 360/PS3/WiiU title at all. Looks mediocre even by last-gen standards and it has performance issues on all last-gen platforms.

Red Mage

Nintendo just designed a console for themselves again, not for any 3rd parties

You mean Nintendo designed a console for Miyamoto again, not for anyone else. He's a great game designer, but he needs to be reigned in when it comes to console design.

hdtown4zsdt.gif

Xenoblade X is on it's way...
I doubt that one's going to be city-based. Just look at that low poly car, nasty ...

Ontopic:
Did people really expect the Wii U version to be in-between generations or something? It's visually on par with the PS3/X360 version with a variable framerate, just like most other multiplatform games already released.

Ninja Dom

When poor hardware meets a poor port, hilarity arises!

Coming soon to a Wii U near you.

Eh, that does look kinda rough. Especially the car on the right hand side and the flat background in the distance. Still, it's early in development isn't it?

Is there a link to the video that gif is taken from?

It's cool Dave, ninjablade has got this.

My fellow Ninja Gaiden Black lover has stepped in your shoes with the anti-Wii U agenda. Admittedly, he's not as witty as you but you know, it's early doors.

ozfunghi

I can see that it's nice and sharp, but I wouldn't have said beautiful. Perhaps I've been spoilt by other games I've been playing lately.

Have you seen other parts of the game? Because the city is by far the least impressive part.

so you are sure X is good?

The game is not out yet for another six months... nobody has played it. But going from their previous (Wii) game, it should be. It's an RPG though, but it will have a large open-world. There has been plenty of footage of gameplay, i don't think any large framerate drops were noticed... but other than not sure what you mean or how someone could possibly state to be "sure" a game that is yet to release will be good.

M°°nblade;140486083 said:
I doubt that one's going to be city-based. Just look at that low poly car, nasty ...

Ontopic:
Did people really expect the Wii U version to be in-between generations or something? It's visually on par with the PS3/X360 version with a variable framerate, just like most other multiplatform games already released.

Well it has NO TEARING which instantly makes it a hell of a lot better looking than the ps360 versions

SmokyDave

It's cool Dave, ninjablade has got this.

My fellow Ninja Gaiden Black lover has stepped in your shoes with the anti-Wii U agenda. Admittedly, he's not as witty as you but you know, it's early doors.
It is poor hardware (talking in terms of raw power, the efficiency is impressive). It is a poor port (no enhancements whatsoever, 6 months late, fps in the teens). That X gif does look rough to me (the blob of a car, the weird 2Dish background, everything looks so flat).

If it helps, I think Nintendoland, M3D World, Toad Puzzle Game Thingy, and Mario Kart 8 all look fucking great for the hardware they're running on. Colours and lighting everywhere.

Have you seen other parts of the game? Because the city is by far the least impressive part.
I have, but it's probably best if I don't give my opinion on foliage, textures and geometry. I will say that the sheer scale of the outdoor areas is impressive. Mountains look mountainous (which isn't as easy to achieve as it seems).

Hugstable

Banned
Just like I thought it was a crap port even with a six month delay(collecting dust for the most part). Don't know what more poeple expected knowing Ubisoft's stance with the Wii U. Luckily, I remembered to cancel my preorder in time.

Exactly. I'm surprised anyone was expecting this game to be a decent port, let alone end up with a good tech analysis from DF. The writing has been on the wall for months on this port.

Sounds like the game just shouldn't have been a 360/PS3/WiiU title at all. Looks mediocre even by last-gen standards and it has performance issues on all last-gen platforms.

Yup I feel the exact same way. Plus it could have given them more time to work on the current gen console versions instead of the older gen. Plus maybe they could have ironed out the PC port, still haven't played the game because of how stuttery it used to get while driving, even though it was saying I was getting 60fps.

All I can say is that Xenoblade gif backfired because people missed the point of why it was posted, and the type of game Xenoblade is.

Hanmik

The game is not out yet for another six months... nobody has played it. But going from their previous (Wii) game, it should be. It's an RPG though, but it will have a large open-world. There has been plenty of footage of gameplay, i don't think any large framerate drops were noticed... but other than not sure what you mean or how someone could possibly state to be "sure" a game that is yet to release will be good.

I was just qouting him saying *if it´s any good" about FFXV .. he made it sound like X for sure was going to be good (it is his RPG of 2015 after all), but he still didn´t know if FFXV is going to be any good.. so I just asked him a question about that.. nothing bad about the game, since I know (almost) nothing about it..

Kouriozan

I'm still wondering why Ubisoft even bothered with this.
6 months old inferior port at full price and on Wii U, it was dead on arrival.

All I can say is that Xenoblade gif backfired because people missed the point of why it was posted, and the type of game Xenoblade is.

dude this thread is about graphics, performance and hardware. the only point of that gif was to show off the graphics, other wise it just doesn't belong here.

ozfunghi

I have, but it's probably best if I don't give my opinion on foliage, textures and geometry. I will say that the sheer scale of the outdoor areas is impressive. Mountains look mountainous (which isn't as easy to achieve as it seems).

I'm sure that's a jab, but i'd rather have good looking billboard foliage all over the place, than have "actual" 3D foliage in patches here and there (as even PS4 games have to do it).

The environments will likely not often be seen from close up (like the original on Wii) so lower res textures will not bother me unless in cutscenes. I don't have any problems with the geometry in this game.

Being Ubisoft, maybe 30fps is locked behind a micro transaction.

I wish I was joking

Future of gaming? Dowload the game for 50 bucks, with wireframe models, 20fps. Pay 10 bucks for the standard texture pack. Another 15 for the HD texture pack. Graphical effects cost 20 and pay 1 buck for an increase in fps by 1.

Sify64

This doesn't look better than Watchdogs at all.
I'd say it looks considerably worse.
I also don't think the city in Xenoblade will be anywhere near Watchdogs chicago in size.
Most likely, anyway with all those huge monsters traversing the environment in Xenonlade X, I'd say the game is holding up well.

Well it has NO TEARING which instantly makes it a hell of a lot better looking than the ps360 versions
What do you mean no tearing?

I'm not an expert on this but even if you use vsync, when the framerate drops to 20-25fps, there's going to be tearing or other artifacts because your framrate doesn't sync with your monitor refresh rate.

Kouriozan

The wiiu continues the trend of having inferior multiplatform games compared to 360/ps3, and as usual Wiiu owners claim it's a great port, till the DF article comes out.
Bayonetta 1 port is pretty good, thank you.
But then why waste tons of money on something that will sell 10k LTD max.

I would normally agree with this, but somewhere you have to draw the line. Below 30fps territory every frame counts, so I'd personally take some tearing over 20fps.

Nintendo seemingly mandates V-Sync, but that is not always a good idea. (Bayonetta 1 having terrible input lag compared to the 360 version for example)

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
M°°nblade;140487232 said:
What do you mean no tearing?

I'm not an expert on this but even if you use vsync, when the framerate drops to 20-25fps, there's going to be tearing or other artifacts because your framrate doesn't sync with your monitor refresh rate.
Triple buffering

OryoN

Probably due to the shitty CPU. I still don't understand why sacrificed so much just to be ISA-compatible to their last two consoles.

Easy choice internally.

Should we go with a CPU design that would better accommodate 3rd-party developers - who would find every reason under the sun not to fully/equally support our console regardless - and risk jeopardizing our own internal development by catering to a new design process?

Or...

Knowing that we'll likely have to support this console almost independently, maybe we should stick to a design that our teams are comfortable with, and our tools are optmized for, right?

Sify64

Nintendo hasn't made any large, city based open world games for the WiiU and probably never will. I'm not going to blame lazy devs on this one. Frankly I'm surprised the WiiU version wasn't cancelled altogether.

dude this thread is about graphics, performance and hardware. the only point of that gif was to show off the graphics, other wise it just doesn't belong here.
Uhm.. Come again? Read the original post and you will actually know what you're talking about.

lol. That's quite a shit port.
I wouldn't be too sure. The Wii U has a much slower CPU than the PS3/360.
I am thinking that that is clearly the bottleneck here.

Now they probabally could have pushed the graphics more, but it wouldn't have been worth is as hardly anyone is going to buy it anyways. Would be a waste of money to create new Wii U specific assets.

Davey Cakes

Garbage port to a dead console. Nobody should be surprised that Ubisoft mailed this one in.
I'm going to pick on you here.

Wii U isn't a dead console. It's very much alive. If anything this year it was reborn. Now it's finding its niche and is living in its own bubble, per the Nintendo usual.

As for Watch Dogs, nobody cares including Ubisoft. This was to be expected.

-MB-

I'm going to pick on you here.

Wii U isn't a dead console. It's very much alive. If anything this year it was reborn. Now it's finding its niche and is living in its own bubble, per the Nintendo usual.

As for Watch Dogs, nobody cares including Ubisoft. This was to be expected.

There is only 1 group of people who seem to care.

jorgejjvr

Damn, you people sure are picky saying xenoblade looks bad, and the game isn't even finish yet. Also, the first xenoblade was massive, bigger than any Chicago, and this one is supposed to be 5 times bigger

Top Bottom