• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Xbox Scorpio

JaggedSac

Good to know!

While you're here, maybe forward this image to Phil? :p

1483530456-ce23eq9viaeoxtc.jpg

Lol

dano1

A Sheep
Yeah so basically a slightly better PS4 PRO 1 year later.

Kind of what I was thinking. Only a increase of 1.88 TFs over the PS4 Pro.
This thing better be $399 or it will collect dust. Because I'm sure The pro will be $349 when it gets launched!

Pif

Banned
Kind of what I was thinking. Only a increase of 1.88 TFs over the PS4 Pro.
This thing better be $399 or it will collect dust. Because I'm sure The pro will be $349 when it gets launched!
I think Sony will take the wait and see approach. No reason to drop the price when they have the best quality and quantity lineup available and upcoming.

The inferior tech console costing more than a better hardware wouldn't be a first. Happened with the Wii and 360. Ps2 and Gamecube. I think the same will happen here.

Chobel

More powerful, but I don't believe it's a 30+% power advantage.

The performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are things about the PS4 Pro system architecture not fully understood, and there are things about Scorpio as well, that bring the two systems into balance.

There is no way Sony will be giving up a 30%+ advantage to Microsoft. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I’m not saying Microsoft haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…

So good!

quest

Not Banned from OT
Polaris is already great tech. Correct me if I'm wrong is Vega just a improvement over Polaris and not a total redesign?

Polaris is meh compared with Vega. MS better gotten a huge deal on the recycled pro set up. I miss the days when MS got cutting edge tech like xenos. I still can't believe this thing is not Vega based. Leaving 15% efficiency on the table I don't get it. Sony got Polaris in similar time frame last year. I fully understand no zen to big and amd being slow but no excuse not to have Vega in there.

Major Nelson

Neo Member
Beat me to it.

I'm on the podcast but this forum will hate it. I'm trying to REALLY oversimplify the DF piece for a more casual audience. Don't expect anything new really, it's a recap. Unless you like to hear me and Larry banter with each other.

Richard has said he's got more stories coming. I do not have insight into when those will hit. Possibly this weekend?

And it wasn't publicized too much yesterday, but Gamasutra will also have a deep-dive on our development work for those that are into that sort of thing. That hits next week I believe and I think people will dig hearing about how developers will create for both Xbox One and Scorpio.

So yes, moar.

As promised, the podcast is now posted https://majornelson.com/podcast/596-project-scorpio-update-with-albert-penello/

Albert explains the more technical stuff for a mainstream audience using many car references.

shandy706

To be clear - this is how WE are approaching that development effort. I think there is some cool stuff.

As promised, the podcast is now posted https://majornelson.com/podcast/596-project-scorpio-update-with-albert-penello/

Albert explains the more technical stuff for a mainstream audience using many car references.

How good do force feedback wheels feel in the new Forza Motorsport with real time weather?

Heheh

My Thrustmaster is waiting. Assuming our wheels will work like always?

zedge

I’m not saying Microsoft haven’t built a good system – I’m merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years…

I'm not sure if you are purposely being ironic here or not... If so lol, if not.. smh

Zedox

Beat me to it.

I'm on the podcast but this forum will hate it. I'm trying to REALLY oversimplify the DF piece for a more casual audience. Don't expect anything new really, it's a recap. Unless you like to hear me and Larry banter with each other.

Richard has said he's got more stories coming. I do not have insight into when those will hit. Possibly this weekend?

And it wasn't publicized too much yesterday, but Gamasutra will also have a deep-dive on our development work for those that are into that sort of thing. That hits next week I believe and I think people will dig hearing about how developers will create for both Xbox One and Scorpio.

So yes, moar.

As a person who wants to dev using the Xbox Live Creators Program (long live XNA!), will we be getting news on how Scorpio will be helping us? I know that Scorpio is supposed to be the "basis" for all Xbox gaming dev (from console to PC) but is there anything that's specific for us (that's not in ID...yet)?

mcrommert

Banned
Polaris is meh compared with Vega. MS better gotten a huge deal on the recycled pro set up. I miss the days when MS got cutting edge tech like xenos. I still can't believe this thing is not Vega based. Leaving 15% efficiency on the table I don't get it. Sony got Polaris in similar time frame last year. I fully understand no zen to big and amd being slow but no excuse not to have Vega in there.

Everytime I leave this thread there are posts like this that keep me coming back

The performance delta between the two platforms is not as great as the raw numbers lead the average consumer to believe. There are things about the PS4 Pro system architecture not fully understood, and there are things about Scorpio as well, that bring the two systems into balance.

There is no way Sony will be giving up a 30%+ advantage to Microsoft. And ANYONE who has seen both systems running could say there are great looking games on both systems. If there was really huge performance difference – it would be obvious.

I'm not saying Microsoft haven't built a good system – I'm merely saying that anyone who wants to die on their sword over this 30%+ power advantage are going to be fighting an uphill battle over the next 10 years...

#dead

Penello nuked his credibility from orbit with that post at the Xbox One launch.

Lol I couldn't help it this was too good.

GAF won't ever let Mr. Penello live this down and it's deserved. But at the same time a company man is supposed to do this so I don't blame him.

It was a no harm no foul kind of deal anyway. It was isolated to just GAF and pretty much everyone took it as puffery.

Tomeru

Expect 1800p on PS4 pro vs full 4k (2160p) on Scorpio. That's 40% GPU power. It will be the revesal of 900p vs 1080p.
The PS4 pro will be one year old when the Scorpio launches and supposedly 100$ cheaper. No one fucked up, it's the way the techindustry works.

I think so too. I think it'll (resolution) be the only difference for 3rd party titles. The 1st party titles are where the scorpio should shine, but that is a different discussion all together.

Aceofspades

Banned
I think so too. I think it'll (resolution) be the only difference for 3rd party titles. The 1st party titles are where the PRO should shine, but that is a different discussion all together.

Ftfy. Sony 1st party will end the gen with best looking games. Like always, but thats another discussion and off topic.

Dabanton

Interesting.

"A lot of our internal studios are building games designed from the ground up to showcase true 4k, 6TF all the full power of Scorpio"

Wow that means whatever they show at E3 is going to be mind blowing.

MS are certainly talking a good game. They must know they have one chance to impress the masses and this E3 will have to be balls to the wall crazy. Every game shown will probably be a crazy looking 4K Scorpio version.

In fact I can already see a narrative forming of concern trolling when people start asking what the Xbox One versions of these games will look like haha

notaskwid

Good old times when I was lurking GAF instead of
shitposting
Everyone was hapier tbh

Expect 1800p on PS4 pro vs full 4k (2160p) on Scorpio. That's 40% GPU power. It will be the revesal of 900p vs 1080p.
The PS4 pro will be one year old when the Scorpio launches and supposedly 100$ cheaper. No one fucked up, it's the way the techindustry works.

But Sony is betting that checkerboard rendering (or similar techniques) can make that 40% difference, much less visible when actually playing from your couch

I don't know if they are right, but it's interesting

Top Bottom