• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 5: Digital Foundry Console Comparison - PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X/Series S + Performance - Every Game Mode Tested

thelastword

Banned
Edyx8QbWsAA05KT.jpg

So like DF who have selective eagled eye amnesia, you are suffering with the same......It's simple. I was not talking about Dirt 5 in isolation I clearly said that XBOX folk expecting an API update to automatically fix 8 faceoffs to Series X favor is not going to happen.

If you see results almost consistent across the board where the Series X is losing, some magical API update is not going to fix that.....We are not talking about an isolated case where Series X is performing below PS5, but in every game so far.....You can't blame it all on devs or bugs or covid....
I also said this in the very statement, but you did not bother to quote it did you....

The lower detail on Series X was definitely not supposed to be,

So even here, this is not an an API update fixing dirt on XBOX, but rather a patch......As I said, we can't blame it all on bugs and api's and covid. We do not know yet XBOX's resolution, framerate and performance metrics vs the PS5 after this new update. So why the gloating, nobody said this could not be patched, consistent with the last quote above. I said the low settings would be patched, however, Series X performance after that would be interesting to observe, it's resolution etc......At least wait for that....What you guys are insinuating nobody said that...As you can see I answered you with my own post. So simmer down on the disingenuos...Again I was talking about all faceoffs, not Dirt 5 in isolation, hence why I said you can't blame it all on bugs, api's etc...

phil_t98

#SonyToo
So like DF who have selective eagled eye amnesia, you are suffering with the same......It's simple. I was not talking about Dirt 5 in isolation I clearly said that XBOX folk expecting an API update to automatically fix 8 faceoffs to Series X favor is not going to happen.

I also said this in the very statement, but you did not bother to quote it did you....

So even here, this is not an an API update fixing dirt on XBOX, but rather a patch......As I said, we can't blame it all on bugs and api's and covid. We do not know yet XBOX's resolution, framerate and performance metrics vs the PS5 after this new update. So why the gloating, nobody said this could not be patched, consistent with the last quote above. I said the low settings would be patched, however, Series X performance after that would be interesting to observe, it's resolution etc......At least wait for that....What you guys are insinuating nobody said that...As you can see I answered you with my own post. So simmer down on the disingenuos...Again I was talking about all faceoffs, not Dirt 5 in isolation, hence why I said you can't blame it all on bugs, api's etc...
It was the fact you all claimed that was the best Xbox could do compared to PS5 when that wasn’t true. Yes we need to see resolution and frame rate yet but we do know the visuals are the same level of PS5. We also don’t know why ps5 is stuttering. Is it because it has had a few visual improvements here and there it can’t handle?

we will see soon enough

Unknown?

It was the fact you all claimed that was the best Xbox could do compared to PS5 when that wasn’t true. Yes we need to see resolution and frame rate yet but we do know the visuals are the same level of PS5. We also don’t know why ps5 is stuttering. Is it because it has had a few visual improvements here and there it can’t handle?

we will see soon enough
If it was Xbox stuttering it'd be because of bugs or outdated tools but with PS5 why aren't ya all giving the same excuses? It didn't have this before the patch...

If it was Xbox stuttering it'd be because of bugs or outdated tools but with PS5 why aren't ya all giving the same excuses? It didn't have this before the patch...
Are you saying it’s the tools? Interesting... I agree, ‘the tools’ are definitely the most annoying part of this launch :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Keep saying this, if you jump the gun your words will come back to haunt you, so much better to wait and see than score some cheap points at the start of the game. There’s more scrambling in these threads than an iHop kitchen - and all over a patch for a game hardly anyone actually cares about...

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Did I not say it could be a bug, when it was Xbox that wasn’t playing this game great everybody was talking about bottlenecks and how it HAD to have a low polly count to reach 120FPS.

yeah caorse the PS5 gonna be a bug stuttering, it will get fixed but just read back at all the comments about why Xbox version wasn’t running as well. It’s laughable

skneogaf

It's interesting how we hear its much easier and very similar to the ps4 for developers to do games for the ps5 and slightly more difficult therefore takes longer on the xbox series consoles.

I guess this is proof of that!

Plus the talk of last minute changes and delayed development kits is sounding very likely.

All this while a pandemic is making things very difficult, I suppose the xbox series x will end up being able to run games at its full potential, it just needed a bit more time.

MonarchJT

Banned

you are very well known (all over the web) to have no idea of what you are talking about 99% of the time you write something . to be clearer, with this I do not want to prevent you or deny you the pleasure of having your say on any subject. But let me tell you that your credibility is nearly zero. So don't be alarmed if people giggle about what you write

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned

we will see soon enough
How did I say it was the best Xbox could do. In Dirt's case, u even quoted where the drastic lower detail on Xbox should not be. Now we wait to see see if indeed series x is on par with PS5 visually and if there is any hit to performance or resolution.That's all we can do, wait. Xbox guys are so quick to jump the gun before the receipts are out. That is why you guys backtrack and eat crow so often.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Here's my view having played the game last week pre patch on S and X. And yesterday and today for a hour.
Series S much better framerate in image mode, was quite juddery before a lot better now but not perfect.
Series X images mode, higher resolution lods much further out now harder to spot popping in. AF further out and framerate much better.

Also AI is easier now had to put it up a level but also much better as it's not like racing with a nest of Wasps so much.

Just played a China track on X in image mode and noticed some judder at first for a second twice but then fine.
Put it this way I only played resolution mode before as image mode was all over the place and didn't look good. Now its the only mode I play.

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I bought the fucking game so I am going ot see for myself how is it. Also I got it for free in retail for PS4, so I guess due to free upgrade it's going to run native PS5 version. So I am going to wrap it for my brother. I hate wrapping. But it has to be done.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
How did I say it was the best Xbox could do. In Dirt's case, u even quoted where the drastic lower detail on Xbox should not be. Now we wait to see see if indeed series x is on par with PS5 visually and if there is any hit to performance or resolution.That's all we can do, wait. Xbox guys are so quick to jump the gun before the receipts are out. That is why you guys backtrack and eat crow so often.

you called out Digital Foundry for contacting the Devs of this game as if Digital Foundry were in the wrong in doing that, they knew that something was up with the game but you thought they were bad for saying that.

Guess what there was a bug and and its now been fixed, nobody as of yet knows if performance has been effected by the fix or not or what is causing the stuttering on PS5, prob a bug but could it be they added improvements that PS5 can't handle and is stuttering? that's how it works if it happens on xbox aint it?

They added framerate issues that didn't exists before... so yes.
If you bought it digitally, is there any way to start it without the patch? There are two downloads in my queue, a 46gb one that I assumed was the game and another 20 something gb one (which very may well be additional contact that even day 1 disc-ers were required to download, idk).

I just chose to download the first 46gb download, hoping it would allow me to start the game in what was the original disc version equivalent.

Let's due a resume for what is happening.

PRE-PATCH 2.0

PS5 Image Quality Mode: DRS 1440p to 4K, Targets 60 FPS and mostly deliver, tearing a bit
PS5 Resolution Mode: Targets 4K and sticks close to it most often, very stable with very minor slowdown
PS5 Framerate Mode: DRS 900p to 1440p, higher detail level, PS5 has performance dips on a specific type of track

Xbox Image Quality Mode: DRS 1440p to 4K, Targets 60 FPS and mostly deliver, tearing a bit
Xbox Resolution Mode: Targets 4K and sticks close to it most often, very stable with very minor slowdown
Xbox Framerate Mode: DRS 900p to 1440p, lower detail level, smooth framerate

AFTER-PATCH 2.0

PS5 Image Quality Mode: DRS ?, Targets 60 FPS and has framerate drops, tear more than before
PS5 Resolution Mode: Targets 4K, framerate drops, tearing
PS5 Framerate Mode: DRS ?, higher detail level, performance?

Xbox Image Quality Mode: DRS ?, Targets 60 FPS, performance?
Xbox Resolution Mode: Targets 4K, perfomrance?
Xbox Framerate Mode: DRS ?, higher detail level, performance?

I put in Blue what is new about the new patch.

Anyone verified the 120hz mode changes on PS5? Just purchased and I have the option to play on a 43 inch 4k120hz monitor or 55 inch B6 OLED where resolution mode would be my choice (no high framerate option for this display)

thelastword

Banned
you called out Digital Foundry for contacting the Devs of this game as if Digital Foundry were in the wrong in doing that, they knew that something was up with the game but you thought they were bad for saying that.

Guess what there was a bug and and its now been fixed, nobody as of yet knows if performance has been effected by the fix or not or what is causing the stuttering on PS5, prob a bug but could it be they added improvements that PS5 can't handle and is stuttering? that's how it works if it happens on xbox aint it?
I called out DF who only call the devs when the Xbox version of a game has a huge deficit. When it's reversed and in cases where PS had much better hardware like PS4 vs XBONE, they make excuses why that is so and even try to rationalize why a more powerful console has a worse version. Unity, RER2, Xenoverse, Witcher, 3, GTA V when driving, where the latter was patched and now has better graphics and better performance overall on PS4, as it already had superior performance on PS4 in firefights with better grass and shadows.

Only time when DF called the devs last gen was for Titan fall 2, remember titan fall? They could not stomach that the sequel to the most hyped Xbox exclusive was better on PRO, yet that was an issue on Xbox which was fixed. The issues on Series X is different, bugs can appear, they can be fixed, but not every visual deficit for Xbox has been a bug. In many cases PS just has superior visuals, like the RT in COD, the superior shadows, AF and textures in other games..... That's the reality.
Even after this patch, you do not know the differences in visuals, rez or framerate....even though the dev said they fixed it in Xbox. Other devs said their games were 4k and its nothing but. Wait on the analysis where the differences between console versions after the latest patch will be highlighted.

Also, as a note, DF even called a huge dev pushing graphics like no other incompetent because an Xbox version of a game was inferior. You remember FF13, 360 had no bluray drive, had the worse hardware for such a game, but Leadbetter went in. So there is precedent.

I bet you now if the dirt devs broke something on PS5, which was running better before with less tearing, they will just sing the praise of Xbox and its true capability, never citing it performed better on PS before, just like Valhalla on PS5 after the patch, something else always breaks... Remember they were the ones who started the tools excuse on Xbox, when this same dirt dev vehemently disagreed.

Anyone who even pretended to be open minded, knew that all the PS5 bragging posts weren't going to age well. Who knew that they'd age this fast though.

it's a bit premature to claim that all these people are or should be eating crow. That would be really blowing things out of proportion.

just don't be surprised if that smell coming from the kitchen has an avian scent to it.

freefornow

Anyone who even pretended to be open minded, knew that all the PS5 bragging posts weren't going to age well. Who knew that they'd age this fast though.

it's a bit premature to claim that all these people are or should be eating crow. That would be really blowing things out of proportion.

just don't be surprised if that smell coming from the kitchen has an avian scent to it.

I mean the vastly weaker console being on par with a vastly superior one is still worth bragging about to be honest.

We will have to wait and see if this changes on the near future since this gen is still young.

Genx3

You realize at 4K 60fps PS5 version performs better right?
Oh so now people care about image mode when before they only cared about Performance mode.
Don't worry they'll be more updates to get those extra 2 TF's and 100 GBPS BW optimized.
Still no reason the PS5 version is running worse than before. Devs got to clean this crap up before launching the update.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
I mean the vastly weaker console being on par with a vastly superior one is still worth bragging about to be honest.

We will have to wait and see if this changes on the near future since this gen is still young.
We don't know if SX is better than PS5 or even on par with it in this game. But this is the card they'll be playing while conveniently forgetting the promoting of Ps5 has faster X,Y and Z and TF's don't matter. While most sensible of us know there wasn't going to be much in it anyway if SX came out on top.

We don't know if SX is better than PS5 or even on par with it in this game. But this is the card they'll be playing while conveniently forgetting the promoting of Ps5 has faster X,Y and Z and TF's don't matter. While most sensible of us know there wasn't going to be much in it anyway if SX came out on top.

Well everyone knows by now that Teraflops isn't everything. Because if it was then there would already be a very significant difference between the two platforms since launch.

Truth is other things affect performance and that's why we see the two being extremely close with most games. There's no 50% delta like some were speculating. I honestly can't really give the win to any platform due to how close the comparisons are between the two.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I called out DF who only call the devs when the Xbox version of a game has a huge deficit. When it's reversed and in cases where PS had much better hardware like PS4 vs XBONE, they make excuses why that is so and even try to rationalize why a more powerful console has a worse version. Unity, RER2, Xenoverse, Witcher, 3, GTA V when driving, where the latter was patched and now has better graphics and better performance overall on PS4, as it already had superior performance on PS4 in firefights with better grass and shadows.

Only time when DF called the devs last gen was for Titan fall 2, remember titan fall? They could not stomach that the sequel to the most hyped Xbox exclusive was better on PRO, yet that was an issue on Xbox which was fixed. The issues on Series X is different, bugs can appear, they can be fixed, but not every visual deficit for Xbox has been a bug. In many cases PS just has superior visuals, like the RT in COD, the superior shadows, AF and textures in other games..... That's the reality.
Even after this patch, you do not know the differences in visuals, rez or framerate....even though the dev said they fixed it in Xbox. Other devs said their games were 4k and its nothing but. Wait on the analysis where the differences between console versions after the latest patch will be highlighted.

Also, as a note, DF even called a huge dev pushing graphics like no other incompetent because an Xbox version of a game was inferior. You remember FF13, 360 had no bluray drive, had the worse hardware for such a game, but Leadbetter went in. So there is precedent.

I bet you now if the dirt devs broke something on PS5, which was running better before with less tearing, they will just sing the praise of Xbox and its true capability, never citing it performed better on PS before, just like Valhalla on PS5 after the patch, something else always breaks... Remember they were the ones who started the tools excuse on Xbox, when this same dirt dev vehemently disagreed.

didnt digital foundry contact capcom about 120FPS mode on PS5 not being right?

I remember when the Xbox x launched and you had a hard time with games running at 4K on that system and not on the pro. Talked about how checkerboard was better a lot.

you said Battlefront 2 was better on the pro because it ran in a couple of places 2FPS better when the x was running it in a much higher resolution.

when ever you start a thread we always know it’s biased for PlayStation or in some way putting Xbox down. Look at your comments on gears 5, every opertunity to put the game down.

while I pay Xbox 99% of the time I can see eve PlayStation has some good games and stuff. You only have to see all my posts praising Spider-Man.

would it hurt if you actually gave a compliment to something Microsoft does right everyone and then with Xbox?

maybe people would find your posts a bit more believable if you did

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Well everyone knows by now that Teraflops isn't everything. Because if it was then there would already be a very significant difference between the two platforms since launch.

Truth is other things affect performance and that's why we see the two being extremely close with most games. There's no 50% delta like some were speculating. I honestly can't really give the win to any platform due to how close the comparisons are between the two.
Exactly so why the "vastly weaker" console line.

Tripolygon

Banned
Oh so now people care about image mode when before they only cared about Performance mode.
Don't worry they'll be more updates to get those extra 2 TF's and 100 GBPS BW optimized.
Still no reason the PS5 version is running worse than before. Devs got to clean this crap up before launching the update.
No i am pointing out that your statement was factually incorrect. the best place to play at 4K 60fps is PS5, best place for a more stable 120fps in some tracks is XSX.
XSX version is the best version as it should be.
2 TF's of performance and an extra 100 GBPS BW is nothing to sneeze at.

Hopefully devs can get the PS5 version up to par. They can dial back the settings if need be.
120fps is not a function of 2TF and extra 100GBps BW. It is entirely a function of CPU which are near identical on both consoles because as you are aware there are games where PS5 performs better at 120fps an example being COD so you are also picking and choosing where you care about performance and image quality.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Great, so I have one question. Where is the analysis that's showing superior Series X performance, better rez or the differences between consoles after the patch....

I swear there is an analysis out there that I haven't seen....and everyone is talking about it. Please link.
They are doing the same thing they did since of the announce of the new gen.

Looking at the paper specs, in that case the patch notes, and calling a win.

Let’s see how it turn out this time.

Last edited:
Exactly so why the "vastly weaker" console line.

Well depending on who you ask the PS5 is supposed to be vastly weaker with 2 TFs less, RDNA 1.5 and inferior memory bandwidth. That's where most of the speculation came from but the console ended up performing much better than expected.

I guess for some reason that big delta didn't manifest itself. Most people are just wondering why. I'm curious to have an official explanation on the mather but unfortunately we might never get the answer to that.

didnt digital foundry contact capcom about 120FPS mode on PS5 not being right?

I remember when the Xbox x launched and you had a hard time with games running at 4K on that system and not on the pro. Talked about how checkerboard was better a lot.

you said Battlefront 2 was better on the pro because it ran in a couple of places 2FPS better when the x was running it in a much higher resolution.

when ever you start a thread we always know it’s biased for PlayStation or in some way putting Xbox down. Look at your comments on gears 5, every opertunity to put the game down.

while I pay Xbox 99% of the time I can see eve PlayStation has some good games end stuff. You only have to see all my posts praising Spider-Man.

would it hurt if you actually gave a compliment to something Microsoft does right everyone and then with Xbox?

maybe people would find your posts a bit more believable if you did
I'm typically not a fan of dogpiling, but those are valid points. At this point I'm convinced TLW either owns a minority stake of Gaf, or he possesses some ghost-like superpowers, that results in banhammers having no effect. His reputation as a console warrior has spread far beyond this forum.

That's not a knock really, as it's impressive as hell for a forum user to gain widespread fame across the internet. In all my years in various forums, I've only personally witnessed it once in real time.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I'm typically not a fan of dogpiling, but those are valid points. At this point I'm convinced TLW either owns a minority stake of Gaf, or he possesses some ghost-like superpowers, that results in banhammers having no effect. His reputation as a console warrior has spread far beyond this forum.

That's not a knock really, as it's impressive as hell for a forum user to gain widespread fame across the internet. In all my years in various forums, I've only personally witnessed it once in real time.
I do think TLW does post some valid points at times but it’s always so slanted against Xbox at all times. Like I said there are great things about both consoles and when people post so one way it’s hard to take it serious at times

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Well depending on who you ask the PS5 is supposed to be vastly weaker with 2 TFs less, RDNA 1.5 and inferior memory bandwidth. That's where most of the speculation came from but the console ended up performing much better than expected.

I guess for some reason that big delta didn't manifest itself. Most people are just wondering why. I'm curious to have an official explanation on the mather but unfortunately we might never get the answer to that.
Well according who you ask PS5 is vastly stronger with its higher clocks, higher filll rate,ssd and other things etc.
It works both ways. So if SX equals PS5 what then as SX weaker in other areas.

It doesn't justify it in PS5 favour just because TF got the headlines and rightly so people said its not just about TF but then the same people fall back on PS5 is weaker despite pointing out the other advantages it has and that TF don't matter if games start to be equal or even slight advantages to SX in the future.

Well according who you ask PS5 is vastly stronger with its higher clocks, higher filll rate,ssd and other things etc.

It doesn't justify it in PS5 favour just because TF got the headlines and rightly so people said its not just about TF but then the same people fall back on PS5 is weaker despite pointing out the other advantages it has and that TF don't matter if games start to be equal or even slight advantages to SX in the future.

I just find it weird that the XSX doesn't have an advantage in all games. I was actually expecting some sort of advantage especially after Microsoft marketed it as the platform that plays games the best. These results that we are seeing still puzzle me.

Now I understand that each system has some advantages over the other. But I was still expecting the XSX to win all multiplat comparisons. The fact that it's pretty much a tie between the two makes me wonder if I even understand how Sony built their system.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

It doesn't justify it in PS5 favour just because TF got the headlines and rightly so people said its not just about TF but then the same people fall back on PS5 is weaker despite pointing out the other advantages it has and that TF don't matter if games start to be equal or even slight advantages to SX in the future
I just find it weird that the XSX doesn't have an advantage in all games. I was actually expecting some sort of advantage especially after Microsoft marketed it as the platform that plays games the best. These results that we are seeing still puzzle me.

Now I understand that each system has some advantages over the other. But I was still expecting the XSX to win all multiplat comparisons. The fact that it's pretty much a tie between the two makes me wonder if I even understand how Sony built their system.
It still may start to have advantages as this gen goes on and even if TF does turn out to be the main overall deciding factor in advantages it will only be and was only going to be slight advantages anyway.

Leyasu

Banned

I'm convinced that him and a few others are just kept around so others can laugh at them

It still may start to have advantages as this gen goes on and even if TF does turn out to be the main overall deciding factor in advantages it will only be and was only going to be slight advantages anyway.

That's two teraflops your talking about. I don't see how that wouldn't lead to a large advantage unless there's some sort of bottleneck in the system.

-Arcadia-

Banned

You don’t get banned for saying stupid shit, unfortunately, or tomorrow’s ban list would look like a war memorial. And TLW always plays by the rules. You have to give him that. He comes in, peacefully offers his take, discusses for a while, and leaves. I’ve seen a lot of disruptive posters, but he is not one.

Kind of curious about where his reputation has spread, lol. Where have you been seeing him mentioned?

Tripolygon

Banned
No, but you clearly need help.
So you're not interested in actually learning anything. At 1080p, both consoles are comfortably hitting 120ps or staying very close to it for majority of runs. At higher resolution is when you become GPU bound. Hence in this game extra 1.92TF is not netting you any better performance over 10FT GPU. Another way to look at it using real world scenario, PS5 performs better than XSX at 120fps in some games.

Top Bottom