• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 5: Digital Foundry Console Comparison - PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X/Series S + Performance - Every Game Mode Tested

Kuranghi

Lets keep the momentum up here guys, I think we can surpass the length of the "Death of George Floyd causes protests and riots" thread if we keep fucking around in here for another few months. Please stop.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
If DF calls me the biggest shill on the internet. I'm fine with that because going by their history, it means they are wrong......They always say things that are opposite to the actual reality.......I trust stats not opinion.....
Just be proud. You earned it.

2qD76OR.jpg

If DF calls me the biggest shill on the internet. I'm fine with that because going by their history, it means they are wrong......They always say things that are opposite to the actual reality.......I trust stats not opinion.....

As it should be. Otherwise we end up with the cognitive dissonance that we see now based on marketed power narratives using flawed metrics. The face-offs are rather entertaining if only to watch DF deploy their spins, damage control and all the other tools in the toolbox to create a landing pad for a particular brand deceptive marketing. You can tell it caught them off-guard too...

Cerny told them though. Not that they ever gave a shit about that anyway.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
As it should be. Otherwise we end up with the cognitive dissonance that we've know based on marketed power narratives using flawed metrics. The face-offs are rather entertaining if only to watch DF deploy their spins, damage control and all the other tools in the toolbox to create a landing pad for a particular brand deceptive marketing. You can tell it caught them off-guard too...

Cerny told them though. Not that they ever gave a shit about that anyway.
I can only imagine the dissonance within their camp, as disappointment from all the buildup from their videos takes a thumping jolt, they themselves have said it too, they are disappointed in the results so far, the one's seen on Series X....Morgan's "makes no sense why the PS is beating XBOX in the COD thread" and John's "I just don't understand, explain this to me" in the Valhalla thread is clear enough.......All the talk of "Sony has shown nothing", 8TF at best, no hardware raytracing, no direct ML, no VRR, no VRS on PS5.....None of that PR machine means a thing now with realtime results.....Alex has been blasting guys on the Next Gen thread all this time, calling them silly or simpletons, when in fact the reality of what was being discussed there is kosher...As they say "the proof is in the pudding"....

Still I know Leadbetter is an MS man, and I have no problem with that and so his influence and mandate on the team is definitely showing, it has creeped in over the years and it's now established, so to work for DF and not to follow the boss's lead should certainly have some repercussions... I imagine everybody falls in-line somewhat and even Dark10X has to....The language and dialogue in faceoffs clearly indicates just that...

Yet, overall, if they don't cater to XBOX fans, I can see them losing quite a bit of the support they currently enjoy. For some reason it's almost too late for them to change their tune because XBOX guys can be quite tactical when they seek a win or good PR and they do come in packs....Clearly what was seen with the Discord group is but a tame indicator of the lengths they would go, of which Alex was a member, so perhaps it's too late now to rustle that nest as they go hard on Social media etc....I personally just post here, not in any group or discord....I always advise everybody to keep it civil and avoid insults...Discuss the tech, provide receipts etc....I would never condone any body being personal for video-games, but for some reason some persons are dis-ingenuous enough to suggest that I would forward that.....I think from that you could easily see who is true and who is not.....

As for Dirt, I'm looking forward to see the patch and how tools will improve things going forward for each console....For now we discuss what exists, not potential...because there is further potential for both machines not just one....so when improvements come, we will discuss the end results as always...

Cheers...

I can only imagine the dissonance within their camp, as disappointment from all the buildup from their videos takes a thumping jolt, they themselves have said it too, they are disappointed in the results so far, the one's seen on Series X....Morgan's "makes no sense why the PS is beating XBOX in the COD thread" and John's "I just don't understand, explain this to me" in the Valhalla thread is clear enough.......All the talk of "Sony has shown nothing", 8TF at best, no hardware raytracing, no direct ML, no VRR, no VRS on PS5.....None of that PR machine means a thing now with realtime results.....Alex has been blasting guys on the Next Gen thread all this time, calling them silly or simpletons, when in fact the reality of what was being discussed there is kosher...As they say "the proof is in the pudding"....

Still I know Leadbetter is an MS man, and I have no problem with that and so his influence and mandate on the team is definitely showing, it has creeped in over the years and it's now established, so to work for DF and not to follow the boss's lead should certainly have some repercussions... I imagine everybody falls in-line somewhat and even Dark10X has to....The language and dialogue in faceoffs clearly indicates just that...

Yet, overall, if they don't cater to XBOX fans, I can see them losing quite a bit of the support they currently enjoy. For some reason it's almost too late for them to change their tune because XBOX guys can be quite tactical when they seek a win or good PR and they do come in packs....Clearly what was seen with the Discord group is but a tame indicator of the lengths they would go, of which Alex was a member, so perhaps it's too late now to rustle that nest as they go hard on Social media etc....I personally just post here, not in any group or discord....I always advise everybody to keep it civil and avoid insults...Discuss the tech, provide receipts etc....I would never condone any body being personal for video-games, but for some reason some persons are dis-ingenuous enough to suggest that I would forward that.....I think from that you could easily see who is true and who is not.....

As for Dirt, I'm looking forward to see the patch and how tools will improve things going forward for each console....For now we discuss what exists, not potential...because there is further potential for both machines not just one....so when improvements come, we will discuss the end results as always...

Cheers...

I've no sympathy for bullshitters honestly. They've been enjoying monopoly status for wayyyy too long. To the detriment of objective analysis.

Also don't pay attention to the incoming - much less from losers of you know where. These folk are still repping a company that has treated them like crap for 7 years straight and counting - lost cause.

Kinda sad to see DF try to remove certain folks (criticism) off the board by using their fanboy following as a club while playing victim. We've seen this dance way too many times already. They tried it with KingThrash and it backfired. You hold there. The market works wonders. Competition in this niche is picking up. Clearly dissatisfaction and quality analysis elsewhere is doing its job - even if slowly. Scrutiny will only intensify. More so when kapping for a local player instead of a global brand (and you shouldn't do either). But as you mentioned, as long as Richard is the boss, nothing is gonna change for DF. The world won't wait for them - that's the upside.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
John, you should stop interacting with fanboys on twitter. Just make the videos and move on. For your own good.
Yep, sorry but Twitter is probably the biggest shithole on the internet, and anyone that's on there is only bringing it on themselves. If you constantly get harassed on there, the solution is simple - don't be on there. It's just not worth it if you're struggling mentally.

MrFunSocks

Banned
First you invite console wars, then you help spread BS narratives before launch, and now you guys complain about fanboy reactions?

Digital Foundry staff should also “take the results as is. The data is there, it's clear to see.”, instead of helping these companies with the narrative they want to set up.
Yeah as soon as Digital Foundry started putting opinions and personal comments and subjectivity into their videos I went from watching almost every video to just watching one every now and then if it was a game I was on the fence about buying. I didn't watch them for opinions, I watched them to see performance metrics and graphical differences as a multi-console owner.

Unfortunately they started fanning the fanboy wars because it's good business from a revenue perspective. I guess they didn't expect that fanning those wars directly and playing into them with personal opinions that would be quoted and taken out of context ad nauseum would also have unwanted consequences.

So your best version required a $499 XSX investment + $1,500 TV. And it is still lower resolution and graphic settings.

So do you count the price of your TV in your PS5 expenditure too? Some of us buy good tvs because we want the best and we can afford it. We're not all living at home waiting for our parents to finish watching dancing with the stars.

If you want the best from both of these consoles you would at least have a 4K OLED tv, preferably 120hz+ with VRR. Unfortunately I've only got a 1440p120hz tv without VRR, so going to keep an eye out for a CX sale this holiday period.

Last edited:

FALCON_KICK

Xbox Devkit from article dated 15 November 2019 .
You had talked about new future Xbox consoles plural. But I think you're talking about Project Scarlett in the singular now. We've heard about this Scarlett lite, or Project Lockhart. Can you put this to bed and say you are definitely not making that? Are you still doing new Xboxes plural, as you've said in the past?

Phil Spencer:
Will I say I'm not doing something? We're focused on Project Scarlett and delivering a high performance console. There's no doubt about that. I will never remove options for us. When we launched Xbox One, would I have predicted S would have come? Or X would have come? Or the All-Digital edition would have come, which frankly is doing well, which is good to see. We also did just ship the development kit, which is another console.

Riky

$MSFT
"Expect to see a lot of game patches either way. Codemasters is fixing up Dirt 5, and I understand Ubisoft is working on an Assassin’s Creed Valhalla patch for the Xbox Series X to improve gameplay. Microsoft is also working with developers to resolve issues"

From the Verge.

Hopefully these games get looked at again by DF when the bugs are sorted.

LostDonkey

Apparently the issues with Series X 120hz visuals have now been fixed in the most recent patch. Can anyone test and report back?

"Of particular note, the visuals have been updated for Xbox Series X in the ‘Prioritise Frame Rate’/120hz mode where it was oddly low quality compared to PS5"

Last edited:

sinnergy

Apparently the issues with Series X 120hz visuals have now been fixed in the most recent patch. Can anyone test and report back?

"Of particular note, the visuals have been updated for Xbox Series X in the ‘Prioritise Frame Rate’/120hz mode where it was oddly low quality compared to PS5"
I don’t see the update .. seems it’s not released yet.

JackMcGunns

If you see results almost consistent across the board where the Series X is losing, some magical API update is not going to fix that.....We are not talking about an isolated case where Series X is performing below PS5, but in every game so far.....You can't blame it all on devs or bugs or covid....I don't think an API update will give Series X owners the performance update they are seeking.....The lower detail on Series X was definitely not supposed to be, and if it did perform better in 120fps mode (which we never saw), that's the reason.....If they make that mode just as detailed as PS5 don't expect it to sustain the same framerates.....You see, the reason why I don't trust that it was 120fps locked on the series X in 120hz mode is because he used VRR there, indicating there were still drops.....

Edyx8QbWsAA05KT.jpg

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Ugh. Didn’t age well. Now PS5 can’t run this game at 60 FPS locked, where as XSX can and looks the same.
I know its a waste to reply....but it was fine before the patches, just like with Valhalla...

I know comprehension cant be this lacking....can it....

Genx3

So basically Dirt 5 launched as an incomplete game on Xbox Series Consoles just to make launch day sales.

At least we know Devs will prioritize the PS5 version even though it has inferior hardware. Means that most 3rd party games will mostly be on par while Xbox Series consoles get the gimped unoptimized versions.
Crazy that Pubs think its ok to launch games in this state.

Gamers should hold off buying unoptimized games.

ethomaz

Banned
Let's due a resume for what is happening.

PRE-PATCH 2.0

PS5 Image Quality Mode: DRS 1440p to 4K, Targets 60 FPS and mostly deliver, tearing a bit
PS5 Resolution Mode: Targets 4K and sticks close to it most often, very stable with very minor slowdown
PS5 Framerate Mode: DRS 900p to 1440p, higher detail level, PS5 has performance dips on a specific type of track

Xbox Image Quality Mode: DRS 1440p to 4K, Targets 60 FPS and mostly deliver, tearing a bit
Xbox Resolution Mode: Targets 4K and sticks close to it most often, very stable with very minor slowdown
Xbox Framerate Mode: DRS 900p to 1440p, lower detail level, smooth framerate

AFTER-PATCH 2.0

PS5 Image Quality Mode: DRS ?, Targets 60 FPS and has framerate drops, tear more than before
PS5 Resolution Mode: Targets 4K, framerate drops, tearing
PS5 Framerate Mode: DRS ?, higher detail level, performance?

Xbox Image Quality Mode: DRS ?, Targets 60 FPS, performance?
Xbox Resolution Mode: Targets 4K, perfomrance?
Xbox Framerate Mode: DRS ?, higher detail level, performance?

I put in Blue what is new about the new patch.

Last edited:

Handy Fake

Let's due a resume for what is happening.

PRE-PATCH 2.0

PS5 Image Quality Mode: DRS 1440p to 4K, Targets 60 FPS and mostly deliver, tearing a bit
PS5 Resolution Mode: Targets 4K and sticks close to it most often, very stable with very minor slowdown
PS5 Framerate Mode: DRS 900p to 1440p, higher detail level, PS5 has performance dips on a specific type of track

Xbox Image Quality Mode: DRS 1440p to 4K, Targets 60 FPS and mostly deliver, tearing a bit
Xbox Resolution Mode: Targets 4K and sticks close to it most often, very stable with very minor slowdown
Xbox Framerate Mode: DRS 900p to 1440p, lower detail level, smooth framerate

AFTER-PATCH 2.0

PS5 Image Quality Mode: DRS ?, Targets 60 FPS and has framerate drops, tear more than before
PS5 Resolution Mode: Targets 4K, framerate drops, tearing
PS5 Framerate Mode: DRS ?, higher detail level, performance?

Xbox Image Quality Mode: DRS ?, Targets 60 FPS, performance?
Xbox Resolution Mode: Targets 4K, perfomrance?
Xbox Framerate Mode: DRS ?, higher detail level, performance?

I put in Blue what is new about the new patch.
So is this another PS5 version that's been gimped by a patch?

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Do we have some analysis or people pulling the actual performance stuff from their ass? Like sttuer on PS5 and locked 60 on XSX? Not sure why would anyone bump the thread otherwise.

ethomaz

Banned
Do we have some analysis or people pulling the actual performance stuff from their ass? Like sttuer on PS5 and locked 60 on XSX? Not sure why would anyone bump the thread otherwise.
We have no evidence how Xbox is running the game now except it has higher detail just like PS5.
PS5 has evidences of worst framerate and screen tearing with the new patch confirmed by DF.

assurdum

Banned
So basically Dirt 5 launched as an incomplete game on Xbox Series Consoles just to make launch day sales.

At least we know Devs will prioritize the PS5 version even though it has inferior hardware. Means that most 3rd party games will mostly be on par while Xbox Series consoles get the gimped unoptimized versions.
Crazy that Pubs think its ok to launch games in this state.

Gamers should hold off buying unoptimized games.
Yeah because inferior hardware typically offer better performance of the more powerful when you "prioritize" it at the beginning. The level of craziness of this post it's something else.

Last edited:

Schnozberry

Haha, no. I work for a company and have to manage software integration for things like iManage, Litera, Change Pro, Kofax, Innova, etc.

That's why these dick swinging threads are so pointless. Games are full of interrelated systems that have many points of failure, and they are all controlled by human programmers doing their best to tame the complexity.

It doesn't make someone lazy when performance issues happen or bugs exist. It also most likely has little to do with hardware. We are taking about overworked people trying to meet deadlines. Human error is inevitable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom