• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 5: Digital Foundry Console Comparison - PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X/Series S + Performance - Every Game Mode Tested

I'm coming in here for one time to make this very important note. I'm being very careful with my words when discussing these things in videos. Do you know how much shit I've put up with after it turns out Xbox is massively underperforming?! Constant threats, harassment and even shit sent to my god damn house. All over these stupid plastic boxes. These people are insane and it's absolutely draining me. Now we have the opposite in this due to 'wording' that people read into. Just stop it.

Please just take the results as is. The data is there, it's clear to see.

Back to signing off.

I think if these people didn't buy so much into a narrative where higher teraflops indicates higher performance they would take these kind of comparisons in stride. It's a shame about the Xbox fanboys (not fans) who continue to harass people like yourself and NXGamer. I would block the vocal ones and brace yourself for more push back when more comparisons roll in.

MastaKiiLA

How is the video not encoded in 4k yet? Their other 4k videos have finished encoding. This is disappointing. They should try uploading the video again, and see if it encodes faster.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I'm coming in here for one time to make this very important note. I'm being very careful with my words when discussing these things in videos. Do you know how much shit I've put up with after it turns out Xbox is massively underperforming?! Constant threats, harassment and even shit sent to my god damn house. All over these stupid plastic boxes. These people are insane and it's absolutely draining me. Now we have the opposite in this due to 'wording' that people read into. Just stop it.

Back to signing off.

First you invite console wars, then you help spread BS narratives before launch, and now you guys complain about fanboy reactions?

Digital Foundry staff should also “take the results as is. The data is there, it's clear to see.”, instead of helping these companies with the narrative they want to set up.

Bryank75

Banned

Back to signing off.
Hope you're alright John, sometimes it's good to just turn off the phone and computer and detach from everything for a few hours.....

Things really do go far beyond acceptable levels far too often in this particular industry and among the fans, all it seems to take is a single word out of context and it escalates to a ridiculous state.

So the PS5 version has better textures, much higher settings, performs at 120fps most of the time 90% to be exact. Yet John is talking about judder when the game performs better on PS5 even with higher settings, no need for vrs, much less tearing and of course at a higher average resolution. So John is telling me the Xbox version feels better with Vrr, even when it looks much better, performs much better and tears much less on 99% of gamer tv's. People are not interested in how this game is with features that are not standard, people are interested in the real framerates that they will play on their TV's.... This is a tech channel, people want to see the framerates, they want to see which tears more, not tech guys trying to hide these numbers behind Vrr..... Or a day when all tv's will have it. Even if I have Vrr, I want to know which console performs better.. That's the purpose of a face off...

I'd say, I've never seen a more apologetic video. Dark10x sounds nervous as if he has a gun to his head. So many deep sighs....."Oh this is strange", "This doesn't seem right", "Explain this to me Richard, it makes no sense"...... These guys sound like they need some counseling sessions after yet another surprise and shock.... Of course, as I said in the last thread, anytime a game performs worse on Xbox, DF contacts the devs, it's as if he is working for MS Pr and marketing... Any time there is a huge discrepancy "we contact the devs", clearly a lie Richard, you never contacted the devs for RER2, Xenoverse, Witcher 3, AC Unity for the PS4 versions.... You only contacted the devs for Titanfall 2 and now Dirt 2.....Yet I suspect they will be contacting many devs all gen long with this level of mental dissonance.

Also, we know Richard. VRR is a game changer for 1% of TV owners..... Funny, 1440p support was a game changer too because MS supports it, so the PR before the Series S launched was 1440p was so important by MS and DF, it was labeled as the series S resolution, yet since Series S is barely doing 1440p, hell, barely doing 1080p in this game with lows to 576p.....Richard resorts to... "there are not many if any 1440p tv's anyway" .... The way the wheels keep turning to cater to makes excuses at every turn where Xbox is deficient and to hype every obscure feature Xbox has as if were popular or standard.....

lol look John is calling you a Worst Shill on internet

DinoD

Very sad, Dev says it's a bug apologizes and says it will be fixed, not good enough for you because it won't give your console the "win" anymore. Grow up.

My console had already won. Its an amazing piece of kit. Has amazing launch games, amazing controller, Astrobot and it beats your fridge in games that I'm not even interested in. Which reminds me. Get some fridge magnets while you are waiting.

Caio

Not according to the Devs who have apologized on Twitter, it's just a bug like DF said it was. I think I'll take the Devs word for it.

Excuses. It cannot be a bug, or these devs wouild be amatorial devs.or incompetent !
The only way to make it better on XBox is to rework the engine and spend time for it. But in this case, if they put extra effort on PS5, they could improve as well. Move on, and get a life. Your life will not change if your box performs bad.

rsouzadk

Back to signing off.

I love the work you guys do. Keep it up.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Excuses. It cannot be a bug, or these devs wouild be amatorial devs.or incompetent !
The only way to make it better on XBox is to rework the engine and spend time for it. But in this case, if they put extra effort on PS5, they could improve as well. Move on, and get a life. Your life will not change if your box performs bad.

how can you say its not a bug? the Dev said it was so lets see what they come up with and judge on that

Riky

$MSFT

DF said it looks like a bug, the Devs said it is and apologize saying they will fix it. You're just the sort of person he's talking about, reading more into it then there is.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
I think if these people didn't buy so much into a narrative where higher teraflops indicates higher performance they would take these kind of comparisons in stride. It's a shame about the Xbox fanboys (not fans) who continue to harass people like yourself and NXGamer. I would block the vocal ones and brace yourself for more push back when more comparisons roll in.

If you look at his Twitter he quotes Sony fanboys, some from this forum.

Cherrypepsi

I am with John here, there is no need to personally attack someone because you disagree.
Choosing your words carefully is actually the professional way to do it.

He put's his real name and his face out there and he is defending from anonymous internet trolls.
people are really taking it too far.

He gives his statements, but he doesn't go ahead and trash talks the system just because it doesn't come out on top in the comparisons.
Somehow that's not enough for some people because they want to see the world burn.

Fanboyism = toxic brand loyalty

DinoD

Just the sort of person he's talking about, embarrassing.

Chin up mate. Life can sometimes seem very difficult. Most of times, its due to our expectations. We set ourselves up for the disappointment. I have been there too many times. Don't get discouraged. Contentment is a state of mind that is not contingent on what console you own. If you get the patch great , if not well you can still play the game right.
If there's anything you want me to say to you to make you feel better. I will.

Yours truly,

Last edited:
I looked at his Twitter

What exactly do Sony fanboys have to be mad about currently? It's been an almost perfect launch for Playstation, some software issues aside.

Honestly I think it really depends on which side is getting the bad news at the moment.

When GitHub was the rage I'm pretty sure Sony fans were pissed off at Digital Foundry for their video on it. With these recent comparisons it's Xbox fans that are mad since their console isn't performing the way it should and Digital Foundry is making videos about it.

Basically something that keeps cycling and can change multiple times in the future.

Back to signing off.
Most people here love you and your work John. :messenger_heart:

Here we go...

1YViUmd.png

Riky

$MSFT
Chin up mate. Life can sometimes seem very difficult. Most of times, its due to our expectations. We set ourselves up for the disappointment. I have been there too many times. Don't get discouraged. Contentment is a state of mind that is not contingent on what console you own. If you get the patch great , if not well you can still play the game right.
If there's anything you want me to say to you to make you feel better. I will.

Yours truly,

Don't worry yourself, got VRR so got the best console version anyway. I appreciate your concern though.

Shmunter

Back to signing off.
Jesus wept, things being sent to your house? What things?

Twitter and forums can be ignored, because it will never go away by being the arbiter in a console war, but the rest is not on.

onQ123

Back to signing off.

You may or may not comeback to read this but keep your head up & ignore the foolishness from both sides & with that said don't let any of it affect your work or your real life (even though it is spilling over to your real life with them sending stuff to your house SMH)

But on a different not why haven't anyone from DF explained that the reason for PS5 having better performance in some games is because of the higher clock rate giving them the better triangle output & higher pixel fill rate along with more internal cache bandwidth & other stuff? saying that it is a bug & tools every time PS5 does something better only cause more confusion when there is a real reason why Xbox Series X is running into some limits before PS5.

Last edited:

Back to signing off.
Damn John I'm so sorry this is happening. You don't deserve this.

If you're feeling exhausted about this whole thing just take some time from social media. Take care of yourself.

In time, I love your work, man.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That'll be patched like Dev said, plus my framerate don't tank 25% in 120fps mode.

After they turned off v-sync on XSX, yes it doesn't tank anymore.

I mean, imagine if it still tanked after having no v-sync and lower graphic settings. Would have been even worse -- like Assassin's Creed Valhalla.

Vae_Victis

Banned
oh wait, theres people that actually believes that ps5 is more powerful than Series X haahahhabahahahahhahahahahahahahaahahahahaha

emm hahahaha
Speaking of phases, do you think that maybe someday rest of mundane teraflops will evolve to sonyflops and join full glory? Maybe a patch could solve that?
THAT WILL SHOW THOSE PONIES PIECES OF CRAP THAT XBOX IS THE BEST CONSOLE EVER!!!!!!

xIKvSnt.png

SLB1904

Banned

Back to signing off.
Just ignore these people. In fact you should disable the comments on your twitter. Fuck them

JonkyDonk

Back to signing off.
John, you should stop interacting with fanboys on twitter. Just make the videos and move on. For your own good.

Fake

Back to signing off.

I warned you about that.
Take my advice, leave resetera, leave neogaf and even leave twitter... Will make no good for you staying have so much pressure.

If you're doing this for get clicks forget about. Your mental health first.

Riky

$MSFT
After they turned off v-sync on XSX, yes it doesn't tank anymore.

I mean, imagine if it still tanked after having no v-sync and lower graphic settings. Would have been even worse -- like Assassin's Creed Valhalla.

Just an unoptimized port, but I've got VRR so plays perfectly for me.

ethomaz

Banned

Back to signing off.
You should come more times.
And yes the data is clear the videos and feels a lot like Cerny explained in Road of PS5.

The only think I’m missing from are the old comparison in power consumption... it is a technical info I always liked to read but I believe you guys will do maybe a different article comparing all consoles in the future?

Haaaaa and I know in nowadays you get more from YouTube but I really miss well written texts like old days... soles videos are missing test articles... it just a bit sad in losing this media.

About the attacks... don’t bother them and just do your job... it just like that graph with phases like Accptance, Angry, Bargain, etc... I believe it is the Angry phase yet.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I warned you about that.
Take my advice, leave resetera, leave neogaf and even leave twitter... Will make no good for you staying have so much pressure.

If you're doing this for get clicks forget about. Your mental health first.
Leave the twitter I believe is not the best choice here after all he needs to advertise his content.
His job is based in that.

assurdum

Banned

Jesus Christ. Why. Why he is fallen in this trap on Twitter? If you find someone childish just ignore him, ignore even the twitter. For the fake suck why. Why continue to feed such person on the twitter. Unbelievable.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
His job is to making comparisons and retro videos, not to taking shitposting over the internet.
Yeap but he needs to advertise the content he creates on social networks.
That is why imo leave the twitter is not the solution to be fair.

I mean he having a social network account to talk/advertise his job is not the cause.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Back to signing off.
Get off of Twitter my man. Forums are much better moderated. Yes, you will have to put up with posters like thelastword, but overall its far less vicious.

Tbh, i didn't understand why you guys were being careful with your words but after having dealt with Xbox fanboys over the last couple of years, i do have some sympathy. These people are something else.

Sadly, Sony fanboys are following into their footsteps and are taking pages from their playbook so we are seeing this unprecedented levels of targeted harrassment from both sides where actual discussion and criticism of games, digital foundry's work and the industry overall is simply too touchy a subject for everyone.

assurdum

Banned
Get off of Twitter my man. Forums are much better moderated. Yes, you will have to put up with posters like thelastword, but overall its far less vicious.

Tbh, i didn't understand why you guys were being careful with your words but after having dealt with Xbox fanboys over the last couple of years, i do have some sympathy. These people are something else.

Sadly, Sony fanboys are following into their footsteps and are taking pages from their playbook so we are seeing this unprecedented levels of targeted harrassment from both sides where actual discussion and criticism of games, digital foundry's work and the industry overall is simply too touchy a subject for everyone.
Can we stop with this stupid generalisation? We can blame DF to be partial, if we point out it with a proper argument. Now harass them it's a total different thing. We can please discern to people who criticized them with motivation to who just harass for the fanboism?

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
John gonna retire from comparisons.

DF Retro is all we need.

Its makes no difference if he moves out to DF Retro(something I like to watch myself).

The thing with internet nowadays is that people use every word, every comment and twists to their favor. If John suddenly stops making comparison videos people will still lurk his twitter account just to take a comment or another for the "told yah, he is a [insert the name of console] shill". We have examples here of this behaviour.

If I would give him an advice is to stay doing what he loves and ignore all the warriors. He is not here to deal with their petty wars a neither are obligated to give them any answer.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned

What's all this drama about? Not interested in John's drama......If I was so wrong, he would not have been so bitter about it. I have never been angry or bitter in my posts, just pointing out the inconsistencies....In essence if you are going to say something, prove it...You can't just say a console runs better or looks better or feels better, it's tech, you have to show it.....I won't take your word for it, that's the point....

Oh and BTW, I have not been to reset in years. I have not read a Eurogamer article in years. I don't DM John here or anywhere, I don't tweet him, nor send things to his house, just to be clear....Anytime people criticize John, he goes and has a tantrum so he can garner sympathy....Concentrate on the faceoffs, I only commented on that, never called you a monster and made it personal. If you can't respond to why you didn't show the Series X version running at 120fps or side by side the PS5 version, you can either show it or you can get upset and change the subject and try to hurl insults....It's always the way you have been. Stop making faceoffs personal. If you put work out there, you will get criticism or praise based on what you do or say because some people take your word as fact, when it is not in many cases....If these were reviews fine, I wouldn't care, you could love a game or any piece of hardware all you want, but when you come under a guise of an objective analysis, you have to present your facts straight.....

Oh and look at the pettiness....The guy joined GAF before me and he says "I'm an old gaffer", like he is not, did he intend to use this as a cheap pot shot.....Respond to what I said, not me personally, because I have never been interested in you personally, just the tech and viewpoints and the discussions surrounding it, not the insults...

Top Bottom