• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dirt 5: Digital Foundry Console Comparison - PlayStation 5 vs Xbox Series X/Series S + Performance - Every Game Mode Tested

Well depending on who you ask the PS5 is supposed to be vastly weaker with 2 TFs less, RDNA 1.5 and inferior memory bandwidth. That's where most of the speculation came from but the console ended up performing much better than expected.

I guess for some reason that big delta didn't manifest itself. Most people are just wondering why. I'm curious to have an official explanation on the mather but unfortunately we might never get the answer to that.
No one credible said the PS5 is 'vastly weaker' than the XSX. They are similar in performance with each having advantages in certain areas. They came out within 2 days of each other. This just seems like a strawman to claim victory later when that 'vastly weaker' narrative doesn't pan out.

I have heard quite a bit from posters here about the XSX having 'server' parts so everytimes the XSX has parity with PS5 should be a victory I reckon.

vpance

I just find it weird that the XSX doesn't have an advantage in all games. I was actually expecting some sort of advantage especially after Microsoft marketed it as the platform that plays games the best. These results that we are seeing still puzzle me.

Now I understand that each system has some advantages over the other. But I was still expecting the XSX to win all multiplat comparisons. The fact that it's pretty much a tie between the two makes me wonder if I even understand how Sony built their system.

The cache improvements on PS5 for both CPU and GPU (open secret at this point) are a big part of it. That’s where a lot of the gains from Zen3 and RDNA2 are coming from. XSX is missing these as well as high clock speeds. Turns out the hints Cerny dropped in the H/W reveal were not just theoretical talk.

Also have to factor in the split memory busses on XSX possibly causing bandwidth contention.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
You don’t get banned for saying stupid shit, unfortunately, or tomorrow’s ban list would look like a war memorial. And TLW always plays by the rules. You have to give him that. He comes in, peacefully offers his take, discusses for a while, and leaves. I’ve seen a lot of disruptive posters, but he is not one.

Kind of curious about where his reputation has spread, lol. Where have you been seeing him mentioned?
He probably talk about Alex Battalhia from DF.

“The GAFer thelastword is a monster”.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
TheLastWord punched me in the face once. It was awesome.
To be fair he is my most loved weapon in Destiny... so every time I see his name I remember Destiny... the same when I play Destiny I remember him.

images

Last edited:
The cache improvements on PS5 for both CPU and GPU (open secret at this point) are a big part of it. That’s where a lot of the gains from Zen3 and RDNA2 are coming from. XSX is missing these as well as high clock speeds. Turns out the hints Cerny dropped in the H/W reveal were not just theoretical talk.

Also have to factor in the split memory busses on XSX possibly causing bandwidth contention.

Whatever it is it's definitely something that's not visible in the paper specifications. I'm not saying it's top secret Cerny sauce or anything it's just that some components don't exactly have numbers attached to them.

Like the cache scrubbers for example. We know what they do but we really don't know how much they help. I wish they gave us some figures on those components so we can understand how much they help.

Xbox fans: Our beast of a console we've been talking up for months is finally on par in Dirt 5 against the PS5, the console we have been mocking for those same months for being too weak. Yea, guys, we totally get the W on this one.

Boy, can't make this stuff up. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

To be fair it can be better than the PS5 version but we haven't seen any comparisons yet with the latest patch.

Food for thought.

onesvenus

Let's hope VRS is better implemented in future games.
VRS has nothing to do with missing foliage or low geometric detail.
In fact, none of the missing things in the XSX version compared to the PS5, had anything to do with VRS.

What are the problems you have with Dirt 5 VRS implementation?

dcmk7

Banned
VRS has nothing to do with missing foliage or low geometric detail.
In fact, none of the missing things in the XSX version compared to the PS5, had anything to do with VRS.

What are the problems you have with Dirt 5 VRS implementation?
You're missing some context here.

To some users Dirt 5 doesn't have VRS on consoles. Despite a lot of previews with Codemasters stating otherwise.

To be fair it can be better than the PS5 version but we haven't seen any comparisons yet with the latest patch.

Food for thought.
In a world of "To be fairs", it could still be worse than PS5's version, even after the patch messing stuff up on PS5.

Cross-gen titles are not worth dying on hills but boy you gotta be at least amused at all the drama considering how this game was hyped on the performance front by select folk on the run up to launch (when MS marketing gives the bat signal...). To see the opposite of expectations shatter dreams... That was brutal to witness.

Last edited:

BuffNTuff

Banned
In a world of "To be fairs", it could still be worse than PS5's version, even after the patch messing stuff up on PS5.

The ps5 version could have also had bugs in the original that gave performance back at the expense of desired quality and it was never intended to perform as well as it did in the initial release. We literally have no idea.

It’s really funny to see this thread still going despite an analysis not being around yet. People are straight up hangry for some console war drama lmao.

The ps5 version could have also had bugs in the original that gave performance back at the expense of desired quality and it was never intended to perform as well as it did in the initial release. We literally have no idea.

It’s really funny to see this thread still going despite an analysis not being around yet. People are straight up hangry for some console war drama lmao.

That's some crazy idea - missing higher graphics/features settings resulting in better performance than what was "intended" yet it was the XSX version the one missing things while performing worse as well - an inverse. But yes, overall the general point is that we've no idea.

Last edited:

BuffNTuff

Banned
That's some crazy idea - missing higher graphics/features settings resulting in better performance yet it was the XSX version the one missing things while performing worse as well - an inverse. But yes, overall the general point is that we've no idea.

As someone that works in software development I can tell you stranger things have happened when developing for multiple platforms.

Developing a web application for chrome and ie produces crazy things all the time.

As someone that works in software development I can tell you stranger things have happened when developing for multiple platforms.

Developing a web application for chrome and ie produces crazy things all the time.
I'm not doubting crazy, even if unlikely, there is a probability, however small, for it to happen. The intention part is what doesn't square for the intention is to have smooth performance as best as possible in both 120 fps, and 60 fps modes and dialing graphics down to meet the smoothness level desired. To say that it was intended for the PS5 version to have higher graphic settings and features which would then result in a hit on performance.... yeah it's fringe.

Last edited:

Fredrik

It’s really funny to see this thread still going despite an analysis not being around yet.
What’s funny is that it takes seconds to start the game and take a peek, if there was a gap after the latest patch we would’ve seen it or heard about it. And it seems kinda desperate to wait for DF to give us a new fps/resolution graph so we can get a win we can’t even notice ourselves in a game that now runs at 60fps 99% of the time.

There are some occasional drops for a few seconds at the start of some snow tracks at the first crowded turn, but that’s it. They’ve pretty much nailed the performance now in the 60fps modes and this is without having a VRR TV. Codies deserve some praise here I think. And the game is fun too! 👍

These threads (and comparisons) are so ridiculous at this stage - there's nothing out there that should be taxing these 'next gen' consoles, and any poor performance on either is down to development issues/learning curve. You won't (or shouldn't) see any real power difference yet. Funny seeing the 'not losing badly is really a win' spin already though.

oxman2k

have dirt 5 on the xsx and ps5 with the latest patch on both.xsx is the digital version and i have the ps4 disc version which i upgraded for the ps5 version. i play them at 1080p res as don't have a 4k.the ps5 version looks a bit better to me there seems to be a bit more detail and effects and the colours seems to pop a bit more.frame rate wise the xsx seems to run at a almost locked 60fps now in image quality and res modes,the ps5 version now has frame rate issues more often in the res mode than image quality for me.it is a bug of some kind because it happens at random times on different tracks i can play a track with a full grid of cars with rain and have zero frame rate issues then play the same track no cars same weather and the frame rate will drop this can then be fixed sometimes by restarting the race going to the home screen etc.i think it's the same bug the xsx version had before the patch which nx gamer showed.im sure this will be fixed with a patch and without this bug the ps5 version will be the better version with slightly better graphics but the biggest difference is with the controls haptic feedback feels so much better.the other issue with the ps4 version is i can't update the ps4 version of the game have reinstalled it reset ps5 but keep getting error so can't play ps4 version online.

have dirt 5 on the xsx and ps5 with the latest patch on both.xsx is the digital version and i have the ps4 disc version which i upgraded for the ps5 version. i play them at 1080p res as don't have a 4k.the ps5 version looks a bit better to me there seems to be a bit more detail and effects and the colours seems to pop a bit more.frame rate wise the xsx seems to run at a almost locked 60fps now in image quality and res modes,the ps5 version now has frame rate issues more often in the res mode than image quality for me.it is a bug of some kind because it happens at random times on different tracks i can play a track with a full grid of cars with rain and have zero frame rate issues then play the same track no cars same weather and the frame rate will drop this can then be fixed sometimes by restarting the race going to the home screen etc.i think it's the same bug the xsx version had before the patch which nx gamer showed.im sure this will be fixed with a patch and without this bug the ps5 version will be the better version with slightly better graphics but the biggest difference is with the controls haptic feedback feels so much better.the other issue with the ps4 version is i can't update the ps4 version of the game have reinstalled it reset ps5 but keep getting error so can't play ps4 version online.

I noticed this too. The slowdown doesn't appear to really have any significant relation to what's happening on the screen (and if it does, it's oftentimes the INVERSE of what you would expect would cause a slowdown, running fine in the most CPU/GPU intensive scenarios)

oxman2k

really hope codemasters fix the frame rate issues on the ps5 version soon also a fix so you can update the ps4 version on the ps5 and play the ps4 version online to.also would like to see an option to turn off the camera shake in the game would be great.

oxman2k

have fixed the update problem with the ps4 version on ps5.anyone having same issue had to delete reinstall game but only worked when turned ps5 off and unplugged from mains otherwise wouldn't update.there is still a bug with the frame rate on the ps5 version of game codemasters are aware of it hopefully fix will come soon.

DJ12

Yup, only the PC version does ... but let them .
There's literally a video where someone talks about it and you can see it actually working, but yeah, it doesn't exist on Series S/X.....

I guess you think AF has multiple ranges on the same setting and often jumps around the screen, even on the horizontal axis.

Must just be the AF implementation right....

Top Bottom