• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

Afro

If your game won't launch after installing Windows 10, simply verify the integrity of game cache. It'll d/l like 5MB.

Thanks to user mturk2100 on Steam forums. Worked perfectly.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
If your game won't launch after installing Windows 10, simply verify the integrity of game cache. It'll d/l like 5MB.

Thanks to user mturk2100 on Steam forums. Worked perfectly.

Sweet, good to know. I'm waiting a few days to upgrade to W10 just to make sure there aren't any glaring issues, but I'll probably make the switch this weekend.

Seriously, if W10 broke DiRT Rally I honestly wouldn't upgrade at all and just stay on Win7, lol.

Watevaman

Just curious, but what do you guys assign to your handbrake when you're using a wheel? I think the biggest issue I have with the wheel is the slow speed stuff, where I either have to slow way down or risk bad understeer. I've tried assigning it to my clutch pedal and to a button on the wheel, but neither feels right. I've looked into actual handbrake setups but they're too expensive for my taste. Maybe I should get a shifter that can be stuck into sequential mode and just use that.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Just curious, but what do you guys assign to your handbrake when you're using a wheel? I think the biggest issue I have with the wheel is the slow speed stuff, where I either have to slow way down or risk bad understeer. I've tried assigning it to my clutch pedal and to a button on the wheel, but neither feels right. I've looked into actual handbrake setups but they're too expensive for my taste. Maybe I should get a shifter that can be stuck into sequential mode and just use that.

I use a G27, at first I set the handbrake to one of the wheel button, but it was hard to reach in some turns.
Then I set it to the clutch, felt quite right for many hours, but still hard sometimes to brake and accelerate.

Two days ago I set it to the left paddle, as I play with the shifter but no clutch, the paddles are unused, and it's right for now.

Fitts

Sweet, next week for the update! Although I prefer straight up rally and hill climbs to rallycross I'm interested in seeing it in this game, with the realism and all.

Rallycross is next week? Fuck yes! Looks like I'll be jumping back in sooner than later.

Watevaman

Just tried it, it's pretty cool and a good alternative to the solo rally stuff. The crew chief is also on point about your opponents and them using their jokers, which is helpful if you're preoccupied.

One thing that I did notice is that my performance in the benchmark seems to have taken a hit. I was getting 57 fps average or so before and with the same settings it dropped down to 52. That's a little disappointing, but the game still runs well enough on my old system that I can't complain too much.

scrcrw

Definitely seems fun so far. The Open difficulty opponents are super easy to beat, but I doubt that will last.
Release Notes said:
Finishing 16th in a championship event will now give considerably less rewards.
No more free money. :(

Zeknurn

I'm watching the stream and the update looks great.

They're planning on running a limited test of multiplayer for a select few people next month. There will be a thread on the steam forums for sign ups.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Rallycross is available, 4.6GB update.

Release notes : https://www.dirtgame.com/uk/blog/4905

A game preference has been added to allow for the driver arms and steering wheel to be hidden when using an interior camera.

YES.

YES.

YES.gif

JustBigLee: I fucking love you right now, man. You listened to me. OMG! OMG! OMG!

and some of the people that also agreed and I agreed with them on it. But still: OMG!

Now I don't need to turn off the "hide the speedo" to see the speed in cockpit view, hopefully... *knock on wood*

Now the only complaint I have since launch is that the pacenotes need to not be "neon" and easier to see out of the corner of your eye while going down the track.

TheSeks

It’s a bold strategy
Take the Joker on every lap of a race and win.

Show Boat
Win an FIA World Rallycross Event by reversing across the finish line.

Well, I know what I'm attempting to achieve with this new mode.

Makikou

post-28652-thats-a-bold-strategy-cotton-g-g2uB.gif

drotahorror

DiRT Rally - Peugeot 208 WRX - Lydden Hill (UK): https://youtu.be/v_RThHUNw50

Looks awesome!

Is there something I'm missing when I play this? I never drift, it just doesn't work. I never slide at all. Feels like I just creep around corners, no drifting or anything. If I ebrake I just come to a stop or turn side ways and spin out. (not really talking about rallycross, dont have the patch installed, but any other track that's in the game)

Dilly

Banned
Is there something I'm missing when I play this? I never drift, it just doesn't work. I never slide at all. Feels like I just creep around corners, no drifting or anything. If I ebrake I just come to a stop or turn side ways and spin out. (not really talking about rallycross, dont have the patch installed, but any other track that's in the game)

With use of the brake and scandinavion flicking I can easily get the cars into a slide.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I think it's fun but I don't know if I'll play much of it. Both tracks perform considerably worse than anything else in the game for me.

Robaperas

Performance aside, it's a really fun change of pace from rally proper, ran 1 final in Sweden in the junior course, ended up 1st but on 3 wheels from excessive drifting. Great 1st experience even if the car was a bit too easy to drive.

yeah...I think there are some performance issues when all of the cars are together during the RX races but once they spread out it gets better

Speech

They did say in an earlier blog post that the AI are currently a bit slow.

"It’s been a good week here in the studio as we have been wrapping things up for the launch of the FIA World Rallycross Update. A few weeks back I talked about how we were making changes to the rallycross cars based on the feedback we got from the drivers out in Höljes. Well, we have got those changes in and the cars are feeling great. They are a whole load more responsive and we have dialled in the setups so that the cars are much closer to what the drivers expect from their cars.

This has however meant that we had much less time to train and refine our AI drivers so when the pack comes out you may find that the computer opponents are a little bit on the slow side. We’ve opted for a safe approach here ensuring that the AI aren’t overly aggressive and making crazy mistakes but over the coming weeks we’ll be looking at the times that you guys are setting and the way that you are driving and making sure that we retrain our AI so that they can offer you a significantly tougher challenge in the next update."

TheSeks

Winning the World Rallycross Championship is surprisingly easy. :)

Is it? I can't get to grips with the cars. Probably because I'm on controller but the defaults seem to not turn too well/grip the track on pavement or the dirt.

DJ_Lae

Only done the open set so far and a couple rounds of the second, but the rallycross is pretty easy so far.

We'll see, however, as I still struggle in the later rally championships so maybe that'll hold true here too.

TheSeks

Well, did "Show Boat" but no achievement. Probably because I'm doing "Final Stage only" and not the full Heat/Semi/Final set-up. Blech.

JustBigLee, please. D:

Hip Hop

ummm

this game mode is amazing. Will probably be playing this more when it gets fully fledged out. Can't wait for PvP.

scrcrw

Well, did "Show Boat" but no achievement. Probably because I'm doing "Final Stage only" and not the full Heat/Semi/Final set-up. Blech.
You might need to do the reverse finish in the "World Rallycross Championship" mode (the one with the Monster logo that unlocks after reaching the Professional tier of the normal RX championship). That worked for me.
The all joker laps achievement can be unlocked in a "final stage only" custom event though, which makes it rather trivial.

driver116

Oh man, I need to build a new PC ASAP - DiRT 1 is one of my favorite racing games and this looks to pick up straight from that.

Robaperas

NeoGAF League season 37912 starts in 50 minutes. 4 normal rally events, one hill climb, and one RallyX.

Did the first 3... I'm so rusty.
______

Had problems with fps dips in Germany at acute or hairpin turns; the steam forums provided a solution, it's the Ground Cover option that's making my fps tank, had to turn it off to get locked 60fps. If someone has the same issues, that's the solution.

hi
World Rallycross in England

greeting

Your video leads me to my own videos, what kind of sorcery is this?!

Afro

Just had a special experience in the daily Wales stage at night. Was ripping through the heavily wooded area in the first half a little too aggressively and blew out my headlights completely. Could barely see from of all the trees blocking any natural light, but I stuck with it, albeit cautiously.

Eventually made it out of the forest into the open and the moonlight completely lit up my path allowing me to hammer the throttle and finish in the upper tier.

Just felt and looked really cool.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Just had a special experience in the daily Wales stage at night. Was ripping through the heavily wooded area in the first half a little too aggressively and blew out my headlights completely. Could barely see from of all the trees blocking any natural light, but I stuck with it, albeit cautiously.

Eventually made it out of the forest into the open and the moonlight completely lit up my path allowing me to hammer the throttle and finish in the upper tier.

Just felt and looked really cool.

Yep, that's happened to me a few times too. Sucks when it happens at night in the rain though, lol.

Did they add some new menu music in the last update? Seems like they did, I like it too.

DJ_Lae

I just realized the other day that there was an achievement for beating the delta time for each course - man, that's a lot of achievements. So far it seems insanely easy, those times give plenty of leeway for accidents and shooting off the course entirely.

Been using it as an opportunity to cycle through all the cars again. I keep forgetting how much fun the Mini is, and how it likes to correct itself whenever you spin out.

ramonDn.gif

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
RX Multiplayer Update 0.7 now live! 3.4GB

• A new World RX track – Hell, Norway
  • New Rallycross drivers including, Liam Doran and Petter Solberg
  • Wet weather for all Rallycross tracks
  • Three new cars: DS3, MINI Countryman Rallycross and Subaru WRX STI
  • Brand new Wager Daily Event
  • Some new advanced gamepad options
  • Added a “Very Early” option for your Co-Driver calls
  • A frankly amazing set of Hints and Tips for you to read during loading screens
  • Removed the additional time penalty when the Off Track Reset Countdown expires and upped the limit on the timer
  • We’ll now show you your ‘Fastest lap’ onscreen for an entire Rallycross Event
  • Clutch Override which will give you the ability to use your clutch to override the automatic gearbox clutch
  • *bleep bloop* new achievements
  • Added a toggle for ‘Clutch Override’, which allows you to override the automatic clutch (allowing for clutch kicking)
  • ‘Advanced gamepad options’ are now available for joysticks… Yup somebody out there is playing DiRT Rally with a joystick
  • Message added indicating if you’ve missed the entrance or exit of the joker lap.
  • Optimised all routes for Lydden Hill so it chugs less
  • Graphical Improvements to all stages on the Holjes Circuit as well as the routes for Powys, Wales and Pikes Peak
  • Those excessive gravel surface sounds have been toned down – which should also help with stuttering audio
  • Fixed an issue where the Community delta time splits were being incorrectly shown in the Pant Mawr stage from Wales
  • Light pods no longer show on day routes when using the bonnet / interior cameras on certain vehicles
  • Direct Input slider axis enumeration has been fixed which is a fancy way of saying this should solve issues with pedal bindings, most frequently the clutch
  • Rallycross friend leaderboards now only show the players fastest lap time
  • Abandoning a Rallycross Daily Event now uploads the stage maximum, rather than the time the game was paused… oops
  • Jump starting certain Rallycross tracks no longer results in the players lap counter refusing to increment when passing the start/finish line
  • Fix for the Founder liveries disappearing after the player resets their profile
  • Community delta times are now displayed correctly in the standings before the event begins
  • The Community delta times that were invalid on some tracks have now been reset
  • Crossing a reset line will now always result in you receiving a penalty
  • The Rallycross AI will now find the correct gear at the start of the race and not comically reverse
  • Joker laps will now register even when exiting the joker sector backwards… Because sometimes it’s fun to show off
  • The AI will now take the Joker lap in a Rallycross event less than 4 laps
  • The AI should no longer accidently take a Joker lap when switching paths after losing control.
  • Did you ever see that bug where the Rallycross AI would drive into a barrier, reverse, then drive into again? It was pretty funny but we thought we better fix it
  • Used your data to improve our AI across all Rallycross routes. They’ll now put up much more of a challenge

Watevaman

Not much of an MP guy, but this looks like a solid update. Looking forward to the AI putting up more of a fight.

Also hilarious that someone out there is using a joystick.

Peterthumpa

Not much of an MP guy, but this looks like a solid update. Looking forward to the AI putting up more of a fight.

Also hilarious that someone out there is using a joystick.

Elaborate please? Was thinking about buying this to, at first, play with a gamepad. Wasting my time?

Shaneus

Elaborate please? Was thinking about buying this to, at first, play with a gamepad. Wasting my time?
I play it with a gamepad and with a little tweaking of the settings (sensitivity etc.) I'm having a goddamn ball. Could maybe have more fun with a wheel, but I still love the way it feels... they've done a great job.

Watevaman

The patch notes say they added advanced options for joysticks, meaning that someone is playing with one of these:

414X2Z0A7TL._SY355_.jpg

Dirt Rally is perfect on a gamepad, sorry for the confusion.

Top Bottom