• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

Hakkelus

I have to say, once again, this game looks really good. I mean in a kind of timeless way, like something like Red dead redemption.

paskowitz

I honestly feel like this is Codemaster's best game to date and it isn't even finished. The original GRiD and DiRT were pretty awesome but DiRT Rally just feels like a game I am going to play for years after it is released.

I honestly feel like this is Codemaster's best game to date and it isn't even finished. The original GRiD and DiRT were pretty awesome but DiRT Rally just feels like a game I am going to play for years after it is released.

Codies need to work on their other games like this, release it in stages and fix things between.

Including their F1 games, if possible...

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I agree it's their best game to date. I loved DiRT 1 & 2 but I can't play them anymore, I've tried but after DiRT Rally I just can't go back now. I might even uninstall them for the first time ever, no point in taking up disk space and I just don't see myself playing anything other than DiRT Rally for my rally fix in the foreseeable future.

And it's still in freakin early access, it's not even DONE, lol!

I wish I had time to play more honestly. I will come winter time, summer is hard on my gaming hours.....

harz-marz

Really liking the sounds of this game. Is it forgiving for newcomers? Been enjoying Project Cars but have always preferred arcade style rally games...

paskowitz

Really liking the sounds of this game. Is it forgiving for newcomers? Been enjoying Project Cars but have always preferred arcade style rally games...

The difficult scales to approachable but this isn't Need For Speed to you better be the love child of Colin McRae and Sebastien Loeb. IMO gamepads are not well suited for rally games. The driving aids (especially ABS) help. If you have a wheel, then everything is a million times easier.

DD

The difficult scales to approachable but this isn't Need For Speed to you better be the love child of Colin McRae and Sebastien Loeb. IMO gamepads are not well suited for rally games. The driving aids (especially ABS) help. If you have a wheel, then everything is a million times easier.

I... disagree. I don't consider myself a terrible driver, but I'm not super fast either, and I can play just fine with an X360 pad without assist. :3

Robaperas

Not really, IMO you just have to be comfortable with the settings for your wheel/gamepad to get the most fun out of it, if you feel the handling too unpredictable, it can get very frustrating.

did migrating to win 10 cause FPS issues for anyone?

I used to run high 100 fps on my 980ti sli setup until I upgraded to win 10.

running 1440p on max settings

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
did migrating to win 10 cause FPS issues for anyone?

I used to run high 100 fps on my 980ti sli setup until I upgraded to win 10.

running 1440p on max settings

After upgrading, did you enable SLI again (as it's disabled after upgrading) ?

Also, update to these drivers if you don't want to have a bad SLI bug after some minutes of gameplay http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3738 (then enable SLI, and reboot).

Karak

Agreed. I was doing amazing with a controller and then just recently sat down with a wheel. Jezuz lawd the difference was immeasurable.

Watevaman

See, I'm opposite with rally games. I play a lot of road sims with my T500 and am much faster with it than I would be with a gamepad, but with Dirt Rally I can't get it down with a wheel. Too many tight slow turns (I can't ebrake with a wheel) and I have a hard time correcting my mistakes, whereas the gamepad filtering just meshes with my playstyle more.

Afro

Are you guys getting a new strange clipping/crackling sound? Not sure if this is related to the latest RX update or if it's a Windows 10 thing (or Realtek driver).

It's most noticeable in the Group B Quattro in cockpit view w/ headphones. Again, it's a strange sound (almost like a *thip thip thip*). Pretty hard to notice, takes a good ear, but it's there and more apparent at high RPMs. Like popcorn kernels popping.

Appreciate any responses. Already tweeted the Senior Audio Designer.

Sini

Are you guys getting a new strange clipping/crackling sound? Not sure if this is related to the latest RX update or if it's a Windows 10 thing (or Realtek driver).

It's most noticeable in the Group B Quattro in cockpit view w/ headphones. Again, it's a strange sound (almost like a *thip thip thip*). Pretty hard to notice, takes a good ear, but it's there and more apparent at high RPMs.

Do you have dualcore cpu?

After upgrading, did you enable SLI again (as it's disabled after upgrading) ?

Also, update to these drivers if you don't want to have a bad SLI bug after some minutes of gameplay http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3738 (then enable SLI, and reboot).

Yes to both. I'm not sure what is going on. It's a beta but I hope I can get back to running it on full settings. Ultra looks so much better than high (presets)

Afro

Are you guys getting a new strange clipping sound? Not sure if this is related to the latest RX update or if it's a Windows 10 thing (or Realtek driver).

It's most noticeable in the Group B Quattro in cockpit view w/ headphones. Again, it's a strange sound (almost like a *thip thip thip*). Pretty hard to notice, takes a good ear, but it's there and more apparent at high RPMs. Like popcorn kernels popping.

vid

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Lee is leaving. :(

You've been great, dude. Thanks for everything, and good luck with whatever you'll do next.

Cheers!

Aw, that's a shame. Bye Lee, good luck!

I haven't played any DiRT Rally for a week now, I bought a new CH full HOTAS setup and all of my game time has been flight simulators and Diablo III, lol. I need to figure out an easy system where I can quickly switch back and forth between the CH and G27....

DD

So, Lee got some presents from the team, and one of them got me a little worried.

CODw67HWsAEKkhE.jpg

AmyS

How likely is that PS4 and Xbox One owners will be able to choose from DiRT Rally, Sébastien Loeb Rally EVO and WRC 5 this fall/winter ?

Noticed something odd the last time I played. Wet tarmac in the German tracks had insane amount of grip which was reflected in huge amounts of FFB resistance. Anyone else experience this?

See, I'm opposite with rally games. I play a lot of road sims with my T500 and am much faster with it than I would be with a gamepad, but with Dirt Rally I can't get it down with a wheel. Too many tight slow turns (I can't ebrake with a wheel) and I have a hard time correcting my mistakes, whereas the gamepad filtering just meshes with my playstyle more.

Completely agree. I can't get my pace with a wheel to the same as a controller. Being able to thrown on lock quickly seems to negate the loss of precision with a gamepad.

DD

I've spent some weeks playing Project Cars and Driveclub
along some other games like DmC and The Order: 1886
and they're great games, but damn, yesterday I got back to Dirt Rally after a few months and there's nothing like it! This game is in a whole higher level of fun.

lol it was just a little in-joke nothing to worry about :)
Good! Good to know. :3

DD

Guys, do any of you have a nice setup to prevent my Ibiza F2 Kitcar from spinning every time I brake hard on asphalt? I've sent the brakes two clicks to the rear, but the problem persists. There's something funny happening with the suspensions of this car. :c

Robaperas

Guys, do any of you have a nice setup to prevent my Ibiza F2 Kitcar from spinning every time I brake hard on asphalt? I've sent the brakes two clicks to the rear, but the problem persists. There's something funny happening with the suspensions of this car. :c

I haven`t tried those cars a lot, but maybe you can check the brake bias, I don't fiddle with those settings too much because I really don't know what I'm doing. Maybe try to pump the brakes, when I do that I get more control entering acute bends.

DD

I haven`t tried those cars a lot, but maybe you can check the brake bias, I don't fiddle with those settings too much because I really don't know what I'm doing. Maybe try to pump the brakes, when I do that I get more control entering acute bends.

We're on the same boat, haha. As I've said, I sent the brakes two clicks to the rear of the car (wrong, I know :c), but that didn't help. Betta Lines and Big Takeover gave me some tips on the PC Sims thread. I'll try them tonight. :3

Robaperas

We're on the same boat, haha. As I've said, I sent the brakes two clicks to the rear of the car (wrong, I know :c), but that didn't help. Betta Lines and Big Takeover gave me some tips on the PC Sims thread. I'll try them tonight. :3

Well, every time I try to edit some settings, my car ends up either in flames or in a ditch. If those settings work, can you post your findings here? It'd be very helpful.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
It's live, 4.7GB.

Flying Finland Update

So here is what’s new:

• 12 new rally stages near Jämsä, Finland
  • All new 2000s vehicle class
  • 2 new cars - Subaru Impreza 2001 and Ford Focus RS Rally 2001
  • Custom Championships – You can now tweak the number of events, stages and AI difficulty. This will mean that you can set up an event that suits the amount of time you have available and get rewarded accordingly.
  • Mouse Support! – Yep you asked for it so here it is. It’s still a work in progress so please give us your feedback on how we can improve it.
  • We’ve reworked the handling on our 60s, 70s, 80s RWD and 2010s classes – these changes have seen improvements to the way we model suspension and tyres, along with engine and aero rework they really make the cars feel a lot more dynamic to drive.
  • We’ve updated the engine audio for the 1995 Subaru Impreza in the Group A class. We’d like to say a massive thank you to Ryan Champion for letting us use his awesome car for the recording!
  • We’ve wrapped our replays so you can rewind from the start of a replay to watch the final section of your run much faster than you could before.
  • We’ve added a new ‘Invite Friends’ option in the lobby to make it easier for you to get the people you want into your PVP races.

Here’s what we’ve fixed:

• The audio FX levels for the surfaces and kick up have been brought back so that you can hear all that gravely goodness.
  • We sent our Rallycross AI drivers to the opticians so that they can now see when they need to avoid other cars when they are approaching the joker entrance.
  • Now that they can see better they are also setting faster laps.
  • We’ve fixed the camera clipping in certain camera angles when you changed the Field of View.
  • We’ve made some Hyper threading fixes that should now prevent those annoying stuttering issues that some of you were having.
  • We’ve stopped the Engineer contract lengths and costs from being affected when competing in league events.
  • Toggling Push to Talk or enabling/disabling voice communications through the pause menu is now actually working.
  • The Reset Timer has now been increased to 15 seconds when attempting to get back on track. I know we said that before but this time it is actually in.
  • Cars will no longer roll over on the start in PVP races, ROFL.
  • We’ve made sure that the cars are visible on the start line even when collisions are turned off in PVP – they will still ghost during the race though.
  • Your PVP opponents won’t be showboating and driving around with the handbrake on anymore.
  • The gear setup will no longer be changing between stages without a service area.
  • We’ve fixed those odd camera angles that were being used in spectate mode.
  • The miles driven using owned vehicles in PVP now accrue towards unlocking upgrades for that vehicle.
  • When viewing a replay using an interior camera, the speedometers now show the correct speed for all vehicles.
  • We’ve fixed a whole host of other stuff too but they were too boring to call out in this list.

Infinito

Neo Member
I love, LOVE the new Impreza (2001). New Focus RS is (very) good too, but the Impreza is just so smooth, so "drivable". The interior has a sort of calming feeling on me, plus I love the hand animation when he shifts (even though I've noticed that the hand tends to get stuck sometimes)

Also, Finland tracks - so fast, so good ;)

We’ve reworked the handling on our 60s, 70s, 80s RWD and 2010s classes
I presume this is the '2.0' car engine they talked about in one of the Dirt shows. Anyone noticing significant differences in any of those cars?

Top Bottom