• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

MaxiLive

Is there any info on how long this is going to be in Early Access? Really don't like buying into unfinished products, but many stay in that state for years and years.

Well they have planned content till November so maybe towards the end of the year? From what it seems like it is now is a base game with a few tracks/cars but is really polished compared to most over early access games. It is just lacking in content and will probably have a fair few adjustments made. Much like how pCARS has been for the past 2-3 years but DiRT seems further on and more like 8-12 months until it is classed as complete.

Is this going to be a full $60 game once they leave early access?

I don't think anyone knows yet but you would guess so! Seems to be a very similar setup to pCARS apart from its on Steam and far more polished/complete than when pCARS was first released.

Karak

Sold. Wait, if it supports G25.G27 wheel do you guys think a DFGT will also work?

I am trying to contact them to get an interview about all that stuff but pretty sure they are swamped with the surprise release. Hopefully the webpage updates some more.

Zeknurn

Just confirmed triple monitor and OR support on the stream

Did they say if it's in already of if it's on the way?

rallycross sneaking in, as long as the majority of the game is point to point rally...

don't cock this up codies.

Their Early Access page mentions "and going door-to-door around a selection of the best circuits from the 2015 FIA World Rallycross Championship" which might indicate that they have the Rallycross license or some agreement. As long as the main focus is Rally and there's enough content, I'm fine with them including Rallycross since there's not that much out there in terms of Rallycross games.

flashmouth

Neo Member
I usually don't play on pc, maybe someone can help, the game doesn't go into fullscreen mode for me. It's just a maximized window with the frame and windows bar still visible.

Overdoziz

Banned
This awesome! The news of the layoffs at Codemasters had me worried. I guess that's why it's early access though. Get a chunk of money up front.

Did they say if it's in already of if it's on the way?

The former is in right now and I think the latter maybe too, but it's not without possible bugs. He wasn't clear if it was in, just that they implemented it, played it, was great, but still had bugs. But I don't recall saying if it's live right now opposed to the former.

Phinor

Sold. Wait, if it supports G25.G27 wheel do you guys think a DFGT will also work?

This is PC, not consoles. There are very few situations where every wheel known to man wouldn't work. It's just a list of wheels they have presets ready.

Forever bitter about the console wheel support situation.

Afro

Game is much harder than DiRT games. Handling is fun do not mess with the default setup, just a tip.

Runs good, put preset on Ultra, doesn't drop below 60.

It's gonna be good as long as they update it and whatnot.

Game is definitely pure rally.
gif_thankyou_crying320.gif

I usually don't play on pc, maybe someone can help, the game doesn't go into fullscreen mode for me. It's just a maximized window with the frame and windows bar still visible.

Press alt+enter and it should go into fullscreen for you.

Edit: Ouch, was beaten handily. =)

You can adjust the FOV in game, finally.

uyAEYiH.png

But the difference between min and max is almost unnoticeable!

Anyway quick impressions from a 5 min go with the gamepad, this is legit rally. Narrow tracks and tricky handling with no assists.

But best of all Metro R4!!!!!!!!!!!!!

...after an hour of gameplay Ken Block pops up on the screen and does the "It was me Austin!" bit and you're forced to only play gymkhana events

again kidding...lol

Deadbeat

Banned
UPGRADES: As you drive a vehicle in events your engineers will become more familiar with it and will research upgrades that will unlock the full potential of the car. DiRT Rally’s comprehensive upgrade system makes meaningful improvements to the car’s handling and performance to stay competitive
Is there more details to this? I miss old racing games where you upgrade your car through the races. Last Rally game I played that had this was Xpand Rally, and even further is stuff like Top Gear Rally 2.

Zeknurn

The former is in right now and I think the latter maybe too, but it's not without possible bugs. He wasn't clear if it was in, just that they implemented it, played it, was great, but still had bugs. But I don't recall saying if it's live right now opposed to the former.

Ok cool, thanks. Hopefully someone with a Oculus Rift will confirm soon.

This is incredible. Best DiRT game yet.

It's like the lovechild of CMR2, DiRT 3 and RBR. Stages are legitimately narrow and frightening, the pacenotes are actually important and the slightest bump can send you off the track. It feels worlds apart from DiRT 3's arcadey physics where your suspension could absorb anything. It's a hardcore sim and it feels incredibly.

It feels more like a progressional career instead, you have to buy your cars and work your way up. Looking forward to getting myself a Quattro or T16. Runs great as well, it's absolutely beautiful and runs at around 90FPS at max on my 780, lowest I saw was 63FPS in a large foresty area of Wales.

I'm fairly sure one of Codemasters' PR guys lurks this website, so if you're here, tell your team they did a fantastic job and to keep future endeavours like this.

Robaperas

Is there more details to this? I miss old racing games where you upgrade your car through the races. Last Rally game I played that had this was Xpand Rally, and even further is stuff like Top Gear Rally 2.

In CMR05 you could "test" parts and improve your car by passing some trials, maybe it's a similar mechanic.

http://steamcommunity.com/broadcast/watch/76561198024973130

Streaming now with a DFGT, watch me roll it a few times.

I've done some hooning recently so I might embarrass myself.

Poor Mini :(

drotahorror

Fuck.

Stealth release of the year? Does this have Dirt 3 tier audio mixing + cockpit views? Is this real life?

the audio mixing is great. have 5.1 and my favorite was when I was in dash view, but looked behind me. The exhaust sounded so good.

Afro

This is incredible. Best DiRT game yet.

It's like the lovechild of CMR2, DiRT 3 and RBR. Stages are legitimately narrow and frightening, the pacenotes are actually important and the slightest bump can send you off the track. It feels worlds apart from DiRT 3's arcadey physics where your suspension could absorb anything. It's a hardcore sim and it feels incredibly.

Unbelievable.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Dirt Rally timeline from the Dirt website...

April - Early Access begins
May - Pikes Peak Pack
June - Tarmac Terrors & Classic Icons
July - Rallycross Pack
August - PVP Pack & Rallycross Expansion
September - Flying Finland
October - Modern Masters
November - Winter Wonderland

Pike's Peak? PIKE'S PEAK???!!!

That list looks very good. Urge to buy right this very second rising strongly.....

the audio mixing is great. have 5.1 and my favorite was when I was in dash view, but looked behind me. The exhaust sounded so good.

The audio is absolutely amazing. On dash camera view I could hear a little motor whining whenever my Mini's wipers went off. Running over ice I could hear slight cracking noises from the weight of my car. Dunno how legit the actual engine sounds are but they're dramatic and fun to hear regardless of how realistic they are.

Have a bonus pic of the Mini where it belongs.

Hasney

Rallycross and PVP sounds like when I'll jump in. As much as I like my full sim, Rallycross is always an insane blast.

justbiglee

Neo Member
Hi all,

Being totally honest we're blown away by how much you love what we've made. I need to try and catch up with the rest of the world after finishing the livestream so if you have any questions please ask away.

just to followup on that timeline...

Tarmac Terrors, Flying Finland, and Winter Wonderland are Rally stage additions

Classic Icons and Modern Masters are car packs

The Winter Wonderland description also mentioned new cars in that pack as well from when I was skimming through it

Hi all,

Being totally honest we're blown away by how much you love what we've made. I need to try and catch up with the rest of the world after finishing the livestream so if you have any questions please ask away.

Only question I have is what's included in the Pikes Peak content. The stages so far have been awesomely long, so I have no doubt that you guys will include the full course. Only thing I have to ask is will we see cars appropriate for the track in this pack? As far as I can see there are no Trailblazer/Hillcilmb cars currently in the game, and I'd love to give it a run in an Escudo or Tacoma.

Azzawon

Hi all,

It's been a long time coming but worth the wait by the looks of things! Will the DiRT Show become a regular thing to show off the new additions to the game?

The_Monk

Hi all,

Hey Lee, great to see you here. Just watched the stream, spoke with Mark Buckley and the game is looking great. Now we need to see you streaming it as well, just like you recently did with Dirt 3 Complete Edition. Thanks for stopping by. Regarding questions I might bother you on Twitter, as usual. ;)

Hi all,

is the Rallycross in the game going to be the full experience? (heat races, joker lap, etc?)

Hi all,

Console versions in 2016 after PC early access is over? :)

Only question I have is what's included in the Pikes Peak content. The stages so far have been awesomely long, so I have no doubt that you guys will include the full course. Only thing I have to ask is will we see cars appropriate for the track in this pack? As far as I can see there are no Trailblazer/Hillcilmb cars currently in the game, and I'd love to give it a run in an Escudo or Tacoma.

They mentioned in the stream there will be hillclimb cars for those stages

Top Bottom