• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

To clarify, I'm not ruling out the possibility that a game with the title of "Dirt 4" will come later, just theorising that the Dirt 4 Codemasters teased has since transmogrified into Rally.

I agree. One thing is certain: using the name "Dirt Rally" means they are keeping their options open toward releasing a "Dirt 4" in the future.

I just wonder who they thought their audience was with that cynical dudebro bullshit.

Was there ever a single person who would have not bought the previous games if they didn't have those fucking awful drift events in them? Or someone who said "Wait, there's not some edgy announcer that interrupts the game every 2 minutes with his inane bullshit market-researched Xtreme comments, fuck this game!"
Well going by the way they've put this out, I'm not getting the impression that they've changed - otherwise this would be called Dirt 4. This appears to be a side project to appease those looking for the more serious stuff.

Can't seem to find info about the graphics engine. Is it on the new engine they're using for their next F1 game? I played a little Dirt 3 Complete Edition last week and felt the graphics quite dated. Thanks!
It appears to be using the same last-gen Ego engine.

Ge0force

Banned
This is amazing news! I didn't like the gymkhana and arcade stuff in the last few Dirt games and was hoping for a new decent rally-sim.

Also, the best thing about the whole game is how there are no Codemasters fancy animated menus in sight, so you'll get an average of 10 minutes more out of any play session.

Dirt 1 (or rather Colin McRae:Dirt, as it was officaially called) had beautiful (and fast) menus. It's also been the only Dirt game where you could play complete championships. And it had those amazing Australian tracks. Handling was better in Dirt 2, though.

Karak

My good lord. So far I am impressed. I am heading back to my own PC but trading off with pals has wet my appetite severely and it felt right. Just insanely good with a bit of tweaking.

wet gravel is really slippery in this, you actually need to brake before turning!

Sadly there is a 10 second time out if you go off track even by a little bit, the streamer was about to recover via driving back to the track but the game said NOPE RESPAWN WITH NO SPEED, turn this shit off codemasters.

Hopefully, they respond properly to feedback.

Service area screenshot, time management is really strict I love it.

J33uOM5.png

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any info on how long this is going to be in Early Access? Really don't like buying into unfinished products, but many stay in that state for years and years.

drotahorror

Game is much harder than DiRT games. Handling is fun do not mess with the default setup, just a tip.

Runs good, put preset on Ultra, doesn't drop below 60.

It's gonna be good as long as they update it and whatnot.

Game is definitely pure rally.

Karak

Game is much harder than DiRT games. Handling is fun do not mess with the default setup, just a tip.

Runs good, put preset on Ultra, doesn't drop below 60.

It's gonna be good as long as they update it and whatnot.

Man I had to mess with it. Instantly better setup when I didn't do default.

From what I've seen, the UI is really slick. I like that developers are seeming to change the styles up for that in recent years.

Nzyme32

People really need to stop using Twitch. I was watching the Steam broadcast at 1080p 3.5mbps just fine and this Twitch stream at what looks to be 720p and low bitrate is constantly buffering.

Anyone care to write down if they say anything interesting?

That's just the way Twitch is for channels with low views, they can only set one quality - so the temptation is something like 720p so that people with low bandwidths can still watch. Steam Broadcasting is a lot more private, so players don't care if some people can't watch, they can just choose the quality off the bat

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Dirt 1 (or rather Colin McRae:Dirt, as it was officaially called) had beautiful (and fast) menus. It's also been the only Dirt game where you could play complete championships. And it had those amazing Australian tracks. Handling was better in Dirt 2, though.

Yeah, I always wished they could combine Dirt 1 and Dirt 2 into one game. Put the tracks, menus, and championship from D1 into the graphics and handling of D2 and you'd have a near perfect rally game.

Although this Dirt Rally is sounding really great. That respawn crap from going slightly off track mentioned above doesn't sound good but hopefully they tweak it, it is still early access afterall.

Almost certainly will do, but only whenever it eventually leaves early access, which could be a long time

That sounds promising! How long was pCars in early access for PC? Wasn't that originally PC only as well? This feels similar, except not crowd funded.
I'm holding out hope for PS4, as a huge fan of rally a proper sim would be one of the very few games I'd pay full Canadian price for on day one.

I just wonder who they thought their audience was with that cynical dudebro bullshit.

Was there ever a single person who would have not bought the previous games if they didn't have those fucking awful drift events in them? Or someone who said "Wait, there's not some edgy announcer that interrupts the game every 2 minutes with his inane bullshit market-researched Xtreme comments, fuck this game!"

As with many of these changes, the goal isn't to keep the current userbase, but to get new users. They probably thought there was a whole generation of people who were really into Ken Block and Travis Pastrana and didn't give a shit about the WRC. I don't know if they were right about that in the long run, but it does at least seem plausible.

Oh... No flashbacks

I'm okay with this so long as it isn't an immediate game over/restart track. In practice, flashbacks were pretty useless in Dirt 2 anyways (haven't yet played Dirt 3). Half the time it didn't even go back far enough to help you very much, and if you ever totaled the car the slow-mo animation was so long that there was literally no point to having Flashback, as you'd end up rewinding to a split second before the crash anyways.

I'm not so hardcore that I want to replay 19 minutes of a 20 minute stage if I fuck up near the end, but I don't mind having consequences for screwing up.

Dirt Rally timeline from the Dirt website...

April - Early Access begins
May - Pikes Peak Pack
June - Tarmac Terrors & Classic Icons
July - Rallycross Pack
August - PVP Pack & Rallycross Expansion
September - Flying Finland
October - Modern Masters
November - Winter Wonderland

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Oh yessssss, this is what I've wanted.

I hope that it will come to consoles too. I need me some next gen rally.

Replays look nice, but like dirt 2 and 3 there's too many camera angles stuck on the car, need more TRACK SIDE replay cameras.

Also seems like there's a dashboard cam angle, I had to mod that in for dirt 3 :p

Afro

Dirt Rally timeline from the Dirt website...

April - Early Access begins
May - Pikes Peak Pack
June - Tarmac Terrors & Classic Icons
July - Rallycross Pack
August - PVP Pack & Rallycross Expansion
September - Flying Finland
October - Modern Masters
November - Winter Wonderland

I've never bought a game so fast on Steam.

7.4GB

Jimrpg

A few thoughts..

- $20 for this or $50 for project cars.... Gah!!

- looks like real rallies, hope there's a compelling career mode.

- pikes peak pack OMG.

- recommended specs i5-4690k, GTX 780. Jesus wept. Console versions will probably be low/med 30fps.

Evo X

I'm watching the gameplay right now and flowing through the stage smoothly is hypnotizing.

Think I will pick this up later today.

Top Bottom