• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DiRT Rally is available on Steam Early Access

Sini

Does anyone else think punctures happen way too easily? It seems like I get one after every third spin out that involves roadside ditches or snowbanks in Monaco
It's incredible punishing while just crashing into trees doesn't do much anything to your car.

Afro

Does anyone else thing punctures happen way too easily? It seems like I get one after every third spin out that involves roadside ditches or snowbanks in Monaco
It's incredible punishing while just crashing into trees doesn't do much anything to your car.

yeah, also curious if a recent patch made tire punctures more frequent or if i'm just sucking.

AmyS

Be aware this isn't Dirt 1-3, there is no dude-bro 'upload your crazy fast time to YouTube' crap, this is more akin to Richard Burns Rally and all the better for it.

I hope Codemasters follow the Dirt Rally development and realism focus route for future releases.

Good. I want a less-arcade like rally game.

scrcrw

How dare you.

Anxiously awaiting the game to be done. Any announced time frame?

The game is supposed to exit early access (aka release) with the final content pack in early Decembre. They're still undecided on console versions and possible post-release DLC according to what they said in their live show last week.

Can't wait for Group B in the snow. :)

DD

Be aware this isn't Dirt 1-3, there is no dude-bro 'upload your crazy fast time to YouTube' crap, this is more akin to Richard Burns Rally and all the better for it.

I hope Codemasters follow the Dirt Rally development and realism focus route for future releases.

LIES!

XS4ERMb.jpg

;)

Does anyone else think punctures happen way too easily? It seems like I get one after every third spin out that involves roadside ditches or snowbanks in Monaco

30 seconds in this evening and puncture. I ain't the best now, but I wasn't even going any speed. Seemed a bit unreasonable at the time...buy maybe they have tweaked something a little too much.

Still a great game though. Looks and sounds so real.

If someone could upload a track with a commentary tutorial throughout, that'd be great...:)

ruttyboy

Started playing this last night. Great fun so far, my only complaint* is that the steering feels a little dead, are there some recommended settings for a G27?

The only ones I could find on the net seems to be quite a few patches ago.

* Actually my other complaint is about the gradual upgrade aspect, I don't need that, would rather just have a car that I can try to win with, but that's just personal opinion.

Dumb questions ahead... playing on a G27 using the clutch and shifter... where would I put the reverse? I don't have any room on the shifter...though I rarely hit the highest gears anyway in Dirt Rally... having reverse on a button feels unnatural and isn't that quick.

Also, why can't I use my 360 controller and the wheel at the same time all the time? Is there a technical reason for that?

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
Dumb questions ahead... playing on a G27 using the clutch and shifter... where would I put the reverse? I don't have any room on the shifter...though I rarely hit the highest gears anyway in Dirt Rally... having reverse on a button feels unnatural and isn't that quick.

Also, why can't I use my 360 controller and the wheel at the same time all the time? Is there a technical reason for that?

Hum, there's a 7th "button" on the shifter, press the gear stick down and put the sixth gear, it should activate a seventh button.

BTW, the G27 mapping already use it for reverse.

Found that video : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtNsNrlPvrk

Watevaman

8 "Umgebungen" - guess that means 8 countries. So far we have Wales, Greece, Monaco, Germany, Finland and Sweden.
What are the final two countries?

edit: Guess Pikes Peak counts as another country. So what's the final one?

What about the RX courses? I think one is Sweden and the other is England?

Why can't I sell my cars that I've purchased and am terrible when it gets to driving them? ... wasted 150K on a car that I can't take 2 metres down the track without killing a pedestrian .. . lol

AmyS

The game is supposed to exit early access (aka release) with the final content pack in early Decembre. They're still undecided on console versions and possible post-release DLC according to what they said in their live show last week.

Well damn, make the decision to release on consoles. BTW, which live show, is there a link?

DD

So, what are the best and worst looking locations in your opinion, guys?

Me:

Best - Wales and Greece.
On Greece, sometimes it feels like the real thing. It's amazing.

Worst - Germany and Finland.
There's something weird with the colors in Germany. They just don't feel right. In Finland there's this weird ~haze~ look that I don't like it either. But at the afternoon it can look amazing with that autumn look.

scrcrw

Well damn, make the decision to release on consoles. BTW, which live show, is there a link?
Here are the Youtube archives. They streamed for an hour on Twitch for every new update. There was some talk about DLC/console versions in the last two episodes (6 and 7) iirc. No time stamps, sorry.

So, what are the best and worst looking locations in your opinion, guys?
I like the look of the Monaco stages at night. Captures the feeling of a snowy night quite well, especially if you smash your lights out.

epmode

sounds like the games just dumps pure, raw data for positons and other junk as it goes along, like really slapped together to me made quick stuff.

I can see how all of that data could be created during a race but why would it have to be stored in a replay file? Wouldn't they be able to reconstruct all of that extra stuff from the player's input data? I suppose they would have to prevent the user from fast-forwarding the replay or whatever but it's better than nothing.

Jimrpg

Update 0.9 was released in early November, so I assume the update to version 1.0 will follow in early December.

If that's the end of early access than I have to say it was a darn access, pretty great package to begin with, totally playable at the start and hardly any game breaking bugs (just the puncture one for me) and also some very large updates.

I'm a bit sad that the game doesn't really have a career mode though, basically a bunch of races and a rather poor attempt in hiring staff for ur team. Otherwise it's a phenomenal rally game.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
If that's the end of early access than I have to say it was a darn access, pretty great package to begin with, totally playable at the start and hardly any game breaking bugs (just the puncture one for me) and also some very large updates.

I'm a bit sad that the game doesn't really have a career mode though, basically a bunch of races and a rather poor attempt in hiring staff for ur team. Otherwise it's a phenomenal rally game.

Yeah, the game has basically felt "done" to me for many months now honestly. I hope they continue to support it thoroughly, because I'd be willing to spend more money on it for cars, skins, and stages. I feel like I paid very little for what I have to call my favorite rally racing game of all time right now.

Sini

I wish they would increase money gain. To me it feels grindy to get more expensive cars. Community average is only two vehicles owned.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I wish they would increase money gain. To me it feels grindy to get more expensive cars. Community average is only two vehicles owned.

Yeah, I'd agree with that, the money grind is too slow. It's going to take me years to buy all of the cars at the rate I'm going.

scrcrw

Yeah, the game has basically felt "done" to me for many months now honestly. I hope they continue to support it thoroughly, because I'd be willing to spend more money on it for cars, skins, and stages. I feel like I paid very little for what I have to call my favorite rally racing game of all time right now.
Fully agree!

If you're looking for some quick money, Hillclimb is very abusable:
- Create a custom Hillclimb championship with 4 events, 1 stage per event, Masters difficulty.
- Every event will have the same stage (Section 1, 2 or 3 or Full Course). If you get Full Course, just retire out of every event or abandon the championship.
- If you get a single section, abandon the first run immediately and do your best in the second one. Thanks Sini!
- The reward per event is up to 170k for 1st and even down in 12th you'll still get ~100k. Pretty good for 3 minutes of driving. :)

Prerequisites are obviously a Hillclimb car and enough skill not to come dead last (16th barely pays anything). Based on the latest blog, this might be patched out soon.

Sini

- If you get a single section, do your best in the first run and immediately abandon the second run.
It's actually opposite. Abandon first tun and do your best in second. You won't get no restart bonus if you abandon second run.

I have done it, but it bores me after couple runs.

Top Bottom