• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Discussion about Metroidvania style titles.

LeleSocho

Banned
Now you're saying Super Metroid had awful controls?

Now that's ridiculous. Super Metroid controls are fucking great and responsive, specially playing with a SNES controller.

No, Metroid Fusion's controls are great and ultra responsive Super Metroid's are clumsy and awkward... like walljumps that takes hours to master or the screwattack that one fifth of the times doesn't work because it doesn't give you the "spin" jump. Even the subweapon management has some flaws control wise.
Of course because it's SM rose tinted glasses are the standard like any other great game in the history but let's not fool ourself saying that still nowadays SM controls are up to todays standard... not even SotN are.

No, Metroid Fusion's controls are great and ultra responsive Super Metroid's are clumsy and awkward... like walljumps that takes hours to master or the screwattack that one fifth of the times doesn't work because it doesn't give you the "spin" jump. Even the subweapon management has some flaws control wise.
Of course because it's SM rose tinted glasses are the standard like any other great game in the history but let's not fool ourself saying that still nowadays SM controls are up to todays standard... not even SotN are.

Uh, I started a replay of Super Metroid on WiiU and walljumps are just as easy as they were in the nineties.

Portugeezer

I played it recently and I disagree.

I prefer the floaty jumps > Fusions tank controls. Zero Mission has the best controls though.

I don't see why walljumps requiring good timing is a negative, and moving + jumping does a spin jump; even stationary jumping then pressing jump button in the air starts a spin jump.

BigDug13

I thought the term "Metroidvania" was a term specific to the Castlevania games that had adopted the Super Metroid map layout style. I didn't realize it was the name of a genre now.

So, Rogue Legacy is "Metroidvania" and "Roguelike" at the same time?

D.Lo

I prefer the floaty jumps > Fusions tank controls. Zero Mission has the best controls though.
Exactly right, Fusion plays into the same 'direct control' paradigm that SoTn does. It lacks the nuance and grace of SM's physics system, but some people can't seem to get it.

Fusion's excuse is the more cramped pixel count of the GBA screen, which meant the game was always going to be more claustrophobic. Momentum + small screen = leaps of faith, as seen in Metroid II, and SMB Deluxe on GBC.

Zero Mission seems to be a happy medium between the two.

Not really sure why the genre name matters, its what its known as. They really are just 2d open world games to be honest. Here's a 2d world. You can go anywhere you want but some parts are locked up till you get certain skills, just like 3d open world games. Sometimes its not skill and just getting far enough for an area to unlock but I don't really see a need to call it anything else other than acknowledging its roots. These days we don't do that for anything else do we? Otherwise it would be Doomlikes and dune2likes etc etc.

I only recently got into the genre with Guacamelee and Knytt Underground and I loved them both. Would like to see more.

There's an argument for that, but then it's a lot closer to a Zelda game, or at least a Zelda III overworld game.

That's how I originally understood Metroid - as a sidescrolling Zelda (in a Sci-fi setting of course) where the dungeons were more integrated into the adventure. Like as if you had to pass through already beaten Zelda dungeons repeatedly to navigate the overworld, or pass back and forth between inside and out of dungeons at points. This does happen to some extent in the best Zelda games (particularly Link's Awakening and Wind Waker), and when it does it strengthens the games IMO, by creating a stronger sense of place and of an interconnected world.

I think you're reaching here. The basic design principals of Zelda and Metroid are quite different.

Novocaine

I think you're reaching here. The basic design principals of Zelda and Metroid are quite different.

I agree with him somewhat though. If you break it down enough both games involve a giant open world with areas gated by item acquisition. Not "get the red key" item, but a power up item.

LogicStep

Looks awesome!

Anyone ever play Shadow Complex?
ShadowComplex_Screen17-620x.jpg

One of the best MetroidVania titles that respects the genre and plays tribute to so much of the series. Also, from one of the Gears of War creators, Cliff Bleszinski.
Damn good game. Well worth looking into (for XBLA).

Hell yeah Shadow Complex is amazing. I want more games like that.

Top Bottom