• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disgaea 5 Complete |OT| Welcome to the Statistical Playground

Hello I have a question on story missions.

I way overleveled for the story (I'm in the 90s and the story guys are in the ~40s I think). I've been just farming item world because I get better weapons and money and stuff doing that.

Anyways I'm focusing back on the story and I'm surprised that I'm not destroying things. I mean I can 2 shot stuff and most attacks miss me but in the item world I just run through things. Are the two modes scaled differently?

Awesome - thanks!

Should I be focussing on anything in particular? The only three recruits I've got are a Witch, a Healer, and a female Assassin/Ninja. I've got all the DLC characters, too. There seems to be a LOAD of systems in play that I'm having a tough time penetrating.

It's a good idea to focus on unlocking more classes by using classes that are part of the prereqs for them. Some later classes are great and you'll want to have them as an option.

fMtGmI6.png

So you'll want a Warrior and Martial Artist, and use the Maid that you started the game with a little bit too, and that'll get you on your way. The other classes are unlocked through green quests.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
It's a good idea to focus on unlocking more classes by using classes that are part of the prereqs for them. Some later classes are great and you'll want to have them as an option.

fMtGmI6.png

So you'll want a Warrior and Martial Artist, and use the Maid that you started the game with a little bit too, and that'll get you on your way. The other classes are unlocked through green quests.

Wow - thank you! This will definitely help!

Fireblend

Banned
Any tips for item management? How do I know which equipment is safe to sell? Do I store the innocents first? There's like a trillion item categories, how should I sort them to get a semblance of order? And is there some easy way to optimize equipment, or know when it's time to shop for more?

deoee

fMtGmI6.png

Wow that seems like a lot.

Are there any must have classes for beginners?

Any tips for item management? How do I know which equipment is safe to sell? Do I store the innocents first? There's like a trillion item categories, how should I sort them to get a semblance of order? And is there some easy way to optimize equipment, or know when it's time to shop for more?

When you have so many items and can get more easily, it doesn't make a lot of sense to do all that innocent management. The ones you should pull out are statistician, broker, manager, mentor, instructor, and professional. Those give boosts to XP earned, money earned, that sort of thing. And even then you should only keep maybe 8-10 of each, because you won't need a lot more once you unlock the Innocent Farm and can breed them.

Generally do not sell rare or legendary items. Many of the unique one-time-only items are legendary so following that rule will stop you from getting rid of them. Often quests will ask for a number of rares or uniques to turn in so you will be glad you kept all those rare low level fists etc.

Start by selling duplicates of any item that has the same innocent in it, like if you've got two of the same sword with gladiator in them. You could make it a goal to only keep 2 or 3 of every item type on hand...I'm sure pros at the game just sell everything low level though.

To sort items just go to the main page displaying all of them and hit X. It'll be fine, they'll all line up in order of power and it will apply to the other categories too.

The best time to upgrade your equipment is always the start of a new chapter, that's when the shop upgrades. You could do it every other chapter.

Wow that seems like a lot.

Are there any must have classes for beginners?

The sage is basically required for very late end game stuff. It has a spell that hits every unit on the field, however for much of the game this will be useless and do no damage because its power is very low, you need crazy boosts for it to work.

Gunners and pirates are fun. Oh also wrestlers for throwing people all over the place. But really play as whoever you like.

Anyways I'm focusing back on the story and I'm surprised that I'm not destroying things. I mean I can 2 shot stuff and most attacks miss me but in the item world I just run through things. Are the two modes scaled differently?

Item world enemies have stats greatly lower than their level would indicate.

OmegaDL50

What's worse than going 200 mystery rooms without an item duplication god? When on floor 5400, that item duplication god fails to make a duplicate. Done with this game for a week.

One small saving grace duplication success is tied to the amount of floors you passed / cleared.

10% for every 1000 floors cleared, so at floor 5400, you had basically a 54% chance to succeed. That's unfortunate.

Item world enemies have stats greatly lower than their level would indicate.

Yeah, Item World enemies don't get stronger the deeper you go. Their power isn't tied to your floor level, but rather the level of the item itself.

So as you increase an item's level it will start to have stronger and stronger enemies.

One small saving grace duplication success is tied to the amount of floors you passed / cleared.

10% for every 1000 floors cleared, so at floor 5400, you had basically a 54% chance to succeed. That's unfortunate.

Yeah, Item World enemies don't get stronger the deeper you go. Their power isn't tied to your floor level, but rather the level of the item itself.

So as you increase an item's level it will start to have stronger and stronger enemies.

So is the item duplication chance pretty much the only reason to skip floors now?

Maybe it's because of extra weapons and stuff, but it's hard for m to tell sometimes which weapon is better, in a given group. Sometimes it doesn't seem so clear.

I'm still noob-ing it up, obviously.

rdaneel72

I'm finding this game strangely compelling. The story is AAF nonsense, but it made me chuckle once or twice. The systems are a confusing mess, and there are still quite a few things I don't understand. Switch games just don't come with even a digital manual?!?!

Can you attack an enemy up on a high structure? Piling my army into a tower was not the brilliant solution I thought it would be. Magic can reach them, but even my ranged-weapon users cannot attack enemies up on high ledges. Sometimes I can throw someone up there, but sometimes it is too high.

What is the Dm number above the Bonus Gauge during battle? It changes with each square I highlight. Is it some kind of distance measurement? Demonic Meters?

Do characters in my Boot Camp Squad gain XP even if I don't bring them out during a battle?

Should I be recruiting new characters to fill up my Squad rosters, even if I am trying to take the offered advice of just building up a few core characters? Is there any down-side to having a bunch of low-level jabronies filling out my squads or getting sent on expeditions?

That Cool Ghosts video linked in the OP sold me on this game months ago. This thread has been essential in me not regretting this purchase. A digital manual that explained every nuance of this game would probably be bigger than the game itself.

Thanks for the consults, GAF.

Fireblend

Banned
How big id the demo in terms of content?

Decently big I'd say. It will entertain you for a while and give you a good look at both the core mechanics and some of the systems. There's a ton of classes you can check out and play with, so if you're super meticulous and really like this sort of game you can play it for a while.

I think it's misleading however in that you might think what you get in the demo is all there's to the game, because it feels like what a tactics game would offer except with a longer campaign, obviously, but there is so much more in the full thing - the item and chara world, stuff I haven't even scratched the surface of like innocents and prisoners and squads and curry-making.

It's a generous demo in that it takes a while to finish, but I wouldn't call it a good one because it doesn't really show how the game sinks its claws in you.

OmegaDL50

So is the item duplication chance pretty much the only reason to skip floors now?

Not quite.

Skipping floors with Diver 10's and the Item Adventure Squad, with the Boss Floor Forever option toggled in the cheat shop helps too because you are constantly descending floors at a rapid pace and defeating bosses you constantly increasing the kill bonus of a weapon (even more effective at 20 Stars in the Cheat Shop)

Basically the deeper you go boosts the chances for better tiers of Level Fish and Level Spheres on top of just improving the Duplication chance. The Bonus Gauge will have multiple Level +1 rewards the deeper you go as well.

It's just in terms of enemy power. They their strength is only affected by level of the item now, and not the floor depth.

Pygrus

Having a monster who can Montoss really far is a game changer. Also, my Kilia is just absolutely destroying these story missions.

My SO has been playing the game herself and trying to level up all these different squads, but I just have Kilia getting tossed into the middle of enemies and blowing them up.

The game is super easy early on. Does it stay this way? Is this the kind of game that's more fun when you hinder yourself?

The story is definitely easy early on. Using Unique characters, upgrading equipment in the item world, grinding and being 30 or 40+ levels above the enemy...it turns into a cakewalk.

It isn't until the later levels where you'll have to think, and that's due to geo panels.

It's been said that story mode is just one big tutorial. It isn't until you beat the game where things really pick up. Story mode may take about 20 hours to complete. If you can stick with it, you'll see the difficulty.

I just unlocked the Chara world and the grind just got that much deeper.

Yuppp! If you become addicted and decide you want to max out characters during the post game, you'll be spending a ton of time in there. There are 4 difficulties for Chara World. The higher the difficulty, the more spaces it'll take to reach the goal as well as fighting stronger enemies.

Chara World is like a game within a game. Makes the grinding fun and offers something different while still making some sort of progress towards your character.

Some progress:

All 3 of them have their subclasses maxed. Laharl and Flonne have been reincarnated 5 times. How many times would I need to reincarnate the sage for the bonus aptitude?

All 3 are also in a maxed Foot Soldier Squad.

I must have spent 3 hours trying to get the Ultimate Tough Guy Evility for the Sage. Kept running Super Overlord with the item that lets you move 20 spaces.

I should be starting some shard farming tomorrow. It's either that or go for 300% aptitude on the other characters.

Selane

All 3 of them have their subclasses maxed. Laharl and Flonne have been reincarnated 5 times. How many times would I need to reincarnate the sage for the bonus aptitude?

Generics don't have an aptitude bonus for reincarnating. The only reason unique characters do is to compensate for the fact that they don't have six different ranks to advance through to increase their aptitudes over time.

arimanius

mind_blown.gif

I picked this up last night and so much stuff to learn. My first disgaea game and it's fun but trying to wrap my head around everything. I haven't tried any of the dlc guys yet still debating on if I want to grab them before I finish the story.

I will say I love the English VA so far. I usually prefer the Japanese VA but the English one is so over the top it's great.

mind_blown.gif

I picked this up last night and so much stuff to learn. My first disgaea game and it's fun but trying to wrap my head around everything. I haven't tried any of the dlc guys yet still debating on if I want to grab them before I finish the story.

I will say I love the English VA so far. I usually prefer the Japanese VA but the English one is so over the top it's great.

I know some people don't like the English VA, but it's part of the charm of the series to me. I've played the games since Disgaea 1 on PS2, and while I admit D5's dub is a bit of a step down from that, it's OK by me. If I'm playing a game rife with anime tropes, I want my cheesy/sometimes-legit-funny English dub to go along with it. I tried the Japanese VA for Disgaea 5 for a few minutes, but I switched it back once I realized I wouldn't be able to hear the Prinnies say "dood".

Props to the English localization team for making Red Magnus talk like the Rock. It seems like an easy joke, but I can appreciate how he calls himself "the supreme one" like the Rock called himself "the Great One".

arimanius

I know some people don't like the English VA, but it's part of the charm of the series to me. I've played the games since Disgaea 1 on PS2, and while I admit D5's dub is a bit of a step down from that, it's OK by me. If I'm playing a game rife with anime tropes, I want my cheesy/sometimes-legit-funny English dub to go along with it. I tried the Japanese VA for Disgaea 5 for a few minutes, but I switched it back once I realized I wouldn't be able to hear the Prinnies say "dood".

Props to the English localization team for making Red Magnus talk like the Rock. It seems like an easy joke, but I can appreciate how he calls himself "the supreme one" like the Rock called himself "the Great One".

Yeah I got to Red Magnus last night and the Rock was the first thing I thought of. It was great.Really enjoying the over the top VA.

I'm glad you mentioned those options because I wanted to do the same.

If you want to fly through the game even faster, do yourself a favor and turn those options on. Do you really want sit through each and every special move? It's a drag. That's just me though since I enjoy the fast pace.

I also turned the cursor mode to "B". Feels more comfortable.

I'm starting some item world grinding but I'm a little confused with what needs to be done to get those higher rank items.

I've read to get a carnage mushroom soup, then use that to get an Arcadia then use that to get a Trap?

How about if I work my way up starting from a carnage Exodus?

Also, an Item God 2 has the next higher equipment, right? And in order for me to encounter him, I need the item to be level 80 before I hit floor 100?

Is this game accessible to new players? How is the UI and game system affordance i.e. is it clear generally what's going on by looking at and reading shit on the screen?

I don't generally do complex turn based tactics games. I did get into Fire Emblem with Awakening and I loved it. That one has great UI tooltips + explanations which allowed me to figure out a lot of it by just reading and playing. I don't mind looking up some of the game system details on the internet, but I would want the game to make some sort of sense.

Disgaea games always seemed like way too much for me, but for whatever reason I'm interested in it now. One of the things that's making me consider getting a Switch at some point.

Yes it's very accessible, I picked it all up fast and I only played one other Disgaea for a really short time a long time ago, it was like starting fresh. Easy UI, good interface with keys to what button does what at the bottom of every screen. Localized well to understand all the abilities and functions.

Fireblend

Banned
It's not a simple game by any means, with plenty of mechanics you won't even realize it had until like 30 hours in (if you're like me), but the UI is well-designed and as intuitive as one for a game that requires 5 sub-screens for each character's stats/profile can be. It really makes an effort to introduce stuff gradually, answer your questions, and make every system interesting enough that you want to try it but non-essential in a way that you don't have to take every single thing the game offers into account to play well or enjoy it.

The thing I've discovered with the game is that despite how complex its systems are, the balance between how they tie into each other and how compartmentalized they are is pretty much perfect, which allows you to interact with those you care about at any given time without feeling terrible about neglecting others.

That said, I'm still an absolute noob at the game. I just discovered that you can upgrade your squads, ended up upgrading my interrogation skills, which turned something that I had no use for (I had found no use for the interrogation stuff before) into something way easier that... I still have no idea what is used for except upgrading squads. I also have barely touched the Dark Assembly, which enables resurrection and stuff that I also have no idea about.

I'm level ~50 30 hours into the game and am supposed to reach 9999 eventually apparently. I still have no idea how I'm gonna get there.

It sounds really over the top in a great way with its progression numbers. I read on another page that it's impossible to really mess up a character. Is it possible to mess up a save by making poor progression choices or is there a means to make up for it / redo it?

No, you can't mess anything up.

I'm level ~50 30 hours into the game and am supposed to reach 9999 eventually apparently. I still have no idea how I'm gonna get there.

It's all about XP combos. XP raising people on your equipment and XP up in the cheat shop and killing extra XP granting dudes while standing on XP floor.

You can have I dunno XXXX% increased XP gain and get 100-1000 levels per fight. And endgame go 1-9999 in one fight.

The explanation of the Cheat Shop in the second post seems to outline how you go about getting exponentially more exp as the game goes on to eventually hit level 9999.

Working on my Traps now. Currently have 2. Items go to 9999, right? Such madness lol.

One Trap is level 101. Going through it using the Mystery Route bonus...trying to duplicate it as well as just leveling it up.

I also got a Baal Sword.

I didn't know there were 2 other weapons (in each category of weapons) available only in a R40 Netherworld and randomly in the Item World. The grind continues!

Just woke my Switch from sleep mode and saw that an update be downloaded to the game (I had the NIS-published "Disgaea 5: Alliance of Vengeance" from the Japanese eShop).

This is the second update after the first fixed an item world bug.

Anyway, the update appears to have completely fixed the uneven frame pacing in the Pocket Netherworld. It's now butter smooth. The last update didn't fix this, so it's nice to see NIS supporting the game like this. Will try in docked mode later to see if it now outputs at 1080p too.

hobart

Approximately when does the Sage get good? I am looking for anecdotes on when you found the Sage to consistently be able to kick the shit out of everything (zero star on cheat shop, for example).

Working on my Statisticians right now. I've been slower going. I think I'm around 300 now. If I get some time tonight I am hopeful to get them up to 600.

The patch definitely fixed the irregular frame pacing and brief slowdown upon entering the Pocket Netherworld, but the game still outputs at 720p docked.

Approximately when does the Sage get good? I am looking for anecdotes on when you found the Sage to consistently be able to kick the shit out of everything (zero star on cheat shop, for example).

Working on my Statisticians right now. I've been slower going. I think I'm around 300 now. If I get some time tonight I am hopeful to get them up to 600.
I've found mine to be fairly useful throughout. Has pretty solid aptitudes for a bow and her unique evility synergizes will with all of the multi-panel bow skills. And geo blast is handy for the odd invincibility symbols and whatnot. With the way you need to spend mana to level up spell area these days, it seems more practical to use her that way early on.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
does anyone has a good video on powerleveling on act 2 that tower thing ?

Top Bottom